Roorkee - Uttarkashi - Tehri
thando
India > States in India > India Travel > Uttarakhand
#1
| Member

Roorkee - Uttarkashi - Tehri

hello everyone. I am travelling from Allahabad (UP) and i have to visit roorkee , Uttarkashi and tehri as a part of my academic curriculum. I have absolutely no idea how to connect these 3 places. Help required..
1) I was thinking of taking a train from Allahabad to dehradun. then taking a bus from dun to Uttarkashi (can anyone tell me exactly how long it takes by bus and till what time is it possible to get it.
2) from Uttarkashi to tehri is wat i thought i will do next - suggestions needed on the mode of travel available, time taken and preferable travel time, if any.
3)from tehri to roorkee next.
4) and back to allahabad..
IS it feasible? if not can anyone suggest a better plan. ?
thank you!

alternatively, I could go to roorkee directly from allahabad (there are trains) .. then from roorkee travel to tehri.. then uttarkshi.. then come back to haridwar and take a train back to allahabad.. does that sound better?

19 Replies

#2
| Maha Guru Member

Originally posted by: thando View Post

alternatively, I could go to roorkee directly from allahabad (there are trains) .. then from roorkee travel to tehri.. then uttarkshi.. then come back to haridwar and take a train back to allahabad.. does that sound better?
That sounds the better plan i'd say... from UK return via shared taxi or Vishwanath seva bus.

Are you visiting the Engineering college, the aquaduct / water works - Roorkee, Tehri dam and Uttarkashi (where i am) for research/study?
#3
| Member
sir basically i am doing a thesis which is based on the vernacular architecture of uttarakhand.. so i have to visit CBRI to collect some research material.. and then i have to go to tehri for a case study and finally to Uttarkashi to study the site of the project i have undertaken as my thesis..:)
#4
| Maha Guru Member

Originally posted by: thando View Post

sir basically i am doing a thesis which is based on the vernacular architecture of uttarakhand.. so i have to visit CBRI to collect some research material.. and then i have to go to tehri for a case study and finally to Uttarkashi to study the site of the project i have undertaken as my thesis..:)
Is that New Tehri you will be visiting for a case study? I wonder which site in Uttarkashi you are studying? Where will you stay in UK and how many days - your work sounds interesting and perhaps we can help you in this, i.e. we are local and connected...
#5
| Humble servant of the self
Vernacular architecture of Uttarakhand is very limited in substance, and even at CBRI, the research material will be limited as per my understanding. I wonder what design difference will be at the site selected that is not present close to Dehradun or Rishikesh. Do keep us posted :)
If you find my posts confrontationist, please bear, I am an old frustrated guy who has nothing better to do than sit on rocking chair and curse the world whole day
#6
| Member

Originally posted by: Paleface View Post

Is that New Tehri you will be visiting for a case study? I wonder which site in Uttarkashi you are studying? Where will you stay in UK and how many days - your work sounds interesting and perhaps we can help you in this, i.e. we are local and connected...


Sir, first of all thanks a lot for offering help! basically for my thesis i have taken up a residential school which is a live project by the state government.. and the proposed site is in diwari khol village in the chinyali block in uttarkashi. (no idea how i will reach and where i will stay can you suggest any hotels? )

Tehri I have to go to study a similar school which is not known very widely but is designed by a prominent architect form new delhi and demonstrates great use of slope and local materials etc..
#7
| Member

Originally posted by: jituyadav View Post

Vernacular architecture of Uttarakhand is very limited in substance, and even at CBRI, the research material will be limited as per my understanding. I wonder what design difference will be at the site selected that is not present close to Dehradun or Rishikesh. Do keep us posted :)


Sir, the basic misconception that it is limited in substance :) and the main reason why I took it up as my thesis to revive the vernacular of uttarakhand which is fast getting extinct due to rapid modernization in the state.

CBRI has some material on it.. rest I will study on my own when i visit some parts like uttarkashi and tehri where you still have vernacular structures

the site i have chosen as the hilly uttarkashi because it comes under earthquake 5 zone (and hence it is vastly different from dun or rishikesh which are mostly plains ) ,has better design potential (i'm a student of architecture) and the role of seismic response of vernacular architecture comes into play at this point .. also the site has been proposed by the state government whos project i have taken up to develop as my thesis..
:)
#8
| Maha Guru Member

Originally posted by: thando View Post

and the proposed site is in diwari khol village in the chinyali block in uttarkashi. (no idea how i will reach and where i will stay can you suggest any hotels? )

Tehri I have to go to study a similar school which is not known very widely but is designed by a prominent architect form new delhi and demonstrates great use of slope and local materials etc..
there are Hotels all along the route from Chamba to Chinyali.. it is Yatra season and busy, so have this in mind when you are travelling/which dates?
#9
| Member
[QUOTE=Paleface;1590217]there are Hotels all along the route from Chamba to Chinyali.. it is Yatra season and busy, so have this in mind when you are travelling/which dates?[/QUOTE
around 6th and 7th of june.. is it possible to book hotels online or something?
#10
| Member
You're using district names, and getting directions to the concerned towns of the same name, where you apparently don't want to go. One place you've identified - Diwarikhol is not Uttarkashi, as has been established. Being in Chinyalisaur block doesn't mean it's next door to Chinyalisaur town either. My research tells me that a village of this name is under Geonla sub-PO, and seeing the names of other villages around, it seems to be west of the highway, a good many km "inland". Which means you'd have to catch a jeep from Barethi (after getting off the bus at this place). Try and find out from locals exactly where this village is, if you have any tel contacts, before you set forth. If this village is where I think it is, don't expect any hotels, accom will be very basic. There may be a forest rest house some kms away which you can book, but you have to be prepared for total self-service in that case.
EDIT: You're in luck, Diwarikhol has an FRH :) (I knew I'd read the name somewhere specific, couldn't recall it earlier though - http://www.uttarakhandforest.org/hin...esthouseUK.pdf
Rates are now higher though)

Similarly - Tehri town is under water, New Tehri is a town (I'll bet this is not where you want to go), Tehri Garhwal is the district. Give the name of the exact place you want to go to (with block and PO if poss), only then can correct transport info etc be given.
#11
| Member

Originally posted by: Dilliwala View Post

You're using district names, and getting directions to the concerned towns of the same name, where you apparently don't want to go. One place you've identified - Diwarikhol is not Uttarkashi, as has been established. Being in Chinyalisaur block doesn't mean it's next door to Chinyalisaur town either. My research tells me that a village of this name is under Geonla sub-PO, and seeing the names of other villages around, it seems to be west of the highway, a good many km "inland". Which means you'd have to catch a jeep from Barethi (after getting off the bus at this place). Try and find out from locals exactly where this village is, if you have any tel contacts, before you set forth. If this village is where I think it is, don't expect any hotels, accom will be very basic. There may be a forest rest house some kms away which you can book, but you have to be prepared for total self-service in that case.
EDIT: You're in luck, Diwarikhol has an FRH :) (I knew I'd read the name somewhere specific, couldn't recall it earlier though - http://www.uttarakhandforest.org/hin...esthouseUK.pdf
Rates are now higher though)

Similarly - Tehri town is under water, New Tehri is a town (I'll bet this is not where you want to go), Tehri Garhwal is the district. Give the name of the exact place you want to go to (with block and PO if poss), only then can correct transport info etc be given.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for the valuable information and the link. I am praying i will get a stay .. do you have any idea about how to proceed to diwari khol from tehri? also after i have done my work in diwari khol I also want to go to either yamnotri or gangotri (which ever is better/easier).
well,I am infact in touch with the education ministry itself of the state government of Uttarakhand who might help me with the directions and means of transport ( but i do not think they would have helped me with the accommodation)
and indeed I meant new tehri town when i said 'tehri':) i m aware that the old one submerged when the dam was built.. I have to go to place called 'baurari' in new tehri which seems easy enough. :)
#12
| Maha Guru Member
If i knew where Diwarikhol was more precisely, any links Dilli? I could maybe ask around as a friend from Chinyali lives in Uttarkashi and could have some advice.

Otherwise thando my feeling in the region is, that whatever village a motorable road goes to, a shared taxi is surely to be found sometime, which makes finding the where from, seem that much more guaranteed... no need to get unduly worried about it as i'm sure we'll come up with some options before you embark.
#13
| Member

Originally posted by: thando View Post

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for the valuable information and the link. I am praying i will get a stay .. do you have any idea about how to proceed to diwari khol from tehri?

Like I mentioned, you'll have to go upto Barethi first. Check at New Tehri whether there's buses or jeeps to Uttarkashi, if not you'll have to come down to Chamba. From here you jump onto any transport going to Dharasu or Uttarkashi. At Barethi, stand at the junction of the Banchaura road (ask the driver to drop you off there) and hop onto the first jeep heading up. Of course you should check that it's heading to Diwarikhol or at least Banchaura. If it's going to Banchaura, no worries, take it - Diwarikhol is a few km from there, you'll get another jeep (provided it's not too late in the day).
Note: As I mentioned yesterday, there is the FRH at Diwarikhol, can be booked from DFO Uttarkashi (contacts here). But this is a somewhat isolated area, not on any major road, and supplies may be difficult to procure. You MIGHT be better off at Banchaura, the largest village in that area (Pf, ask about accom here). What I suggest is - make the FRH booking at Diwarikhol ( no problem if you don't show up, no advance to be paid). Then go upto Banchaura, check what kind of accom is available there, also ask around what can be expected at Diwarikhol food/supplies-wise. Then decide where you'll stay.

also after i have done my work in diwari khol I also want to go to either yamnotri or gangotri (which ever is better/easier).
Yamunotri - get on the first jeep heading west to Maror or Nainbagh (on the Yamunotri highway). If there's nothing direct in a reasonable span, go upto Aindi or Pantwari. From Aindi you'll get transport to Maror or Nainbagh, from Pantwari upto Nainbagh.
From Maror or Nainbagh, get on the first transport heading to Barkot (or Naugaon even). From there you'll get transport to Jankichatti. Stay the night here and do the up/down to Yamunotri the next day.

Gangotri - head back to Barethi, jump on the first transport to Uttarkashi. 3-3.5 hours from there to Gangotri.


well,I am infact in touch with the education ministry itself of the state government of Uttarakhand who might help me with the directions and means of transport
Don't bother, you'll get better info from the people posting in this thread. :)

and indeed I meant new tehri town when i said 'tehri':) i m aware that the old one submerged when the dam was built.. I have to go to place called 'baurari' in new tehri which seems easy enough. :)

Yep, Baurari is a part of NT, in fact that's where the bus station is. If you're coming from Roorkee or Haridwar, you'll have to come to Rishikesh first, then to Chamba. If you get a bus passing through Roorkee/Haridwar for Uttarkashi, then take it and get off at Chamba. Jeeps or the odd bus from Chamba to NT.

By now you'll be confused with all the place names (I hope :D), so here's a map to help orient you. Some places are not marked though.



Originally posted by: Paleface View Post

If i knew where Diwarikhol was more precisely, any links Dilli? I could maybe ask around as a friend from Chinyali lives in Uttarkashi and could have some advice.

So I checked with a contact in Muss where Diwarikhol is, he tells me it's on the Aindi-Barethi road, near Banchaura. Taking this to be correct, you know what that means? - that I've actually passed through Diwarikhol in 2004 (driving from Muss to Uttarkashi, no less :)), don't remember it though.

Links? Here's the only credible one I found :)
http://www.indiapost.gov.in/Pin/pins...?Pin_On=249152
Some of those PO names suggest to me that I got the general location right yesterday.
An easy way to confirm this though is to ask the folks at Kot Bangla.
#14
| Member

Originally posted by: Dilliwala View Post

Like I mentioned, you'll have to go upto Barethi first. Check at New Tehri whether there's buses or jeeps to Uttarkashi, if not you'll have to come down to Chamba. From here you jump onto any transport going to Dharasu or Uttarkashi. At Barethi, stand at the junction of the Banchaura road (ask the driver to drop you off there) and hop onto the first jeep heading up. Of course you should check that it's heading to Diwarikhol or at least Banchaura. If it's going to Banchaura, no worries, take it - Diwarikhol is a few km from there, you'll get another jeep (provided it's not too late in the day).
Note: As I mentioned yesterday, there is the FRH at Diwarikhol, can be booked from DFO Uttarkashi (contacts here). But this is a somewhat isolated area, not on any major road, and supplies may be difficult to procure. You MIGHT be better off at Banchaura, the largest village in that area (Pf, ask about accom here). What I suggest is - make the FRH booking at Diwarikhol ( no problem if you don't show up, no advance to be paid). Then go upto Banchaura, check what kind of accom is available there, also ask around what can be expected at Diwarikhol food/supplies-wise. Then decide where you'll stay.

Yamunotri - get on the first jeep heading west to Maror or Nainbagh (on the Yamunotri highway). If there's nothing direct in a reasonable span, go upto Aindi or Pantwari. From Aindi you'll get transport to Maror or Nainbagh, from Pantwari upto Nainbagh.
From Maror or Nainbagh, get on the first transport heading to Barkot (or Naugaon even). From there you'll get transport to Jankichatti. Stay the night here and do the up/down to Yamunotri the next day.

Gangotri - head back to Barethi, jump on the first transport to Uttarkashi. 3-3.5 hours from there to Gangotri.

Don't bother, you'll get better info from the people posting in this thread. :)


Yep, Baurari is a part of NT, in fact that's where the bus station is. If you're coming from Roorkee or Haridwar, you'll have to come to Rishikesh first, then to Chamba. If you get a bus passing through Roorkee/Haridwar for Uttarkashi, then take it and get off at Chamba. Jeeps or the odd bus from Chamba to NT.

By now you'll be confused with all the place names (I hope :D). so here's a map to help orient you. Some places are not marked though.




So I checked with a contact in Muss where Diwarikhol is, he tells me it's on the Aindi-Barethi road, near Banchaura. Taking this to be correct, you know what that means? - that I've actually passed through Diwarikhol in 2004 (driving from Muss to Uttarkashi, no less :)), don't remember it though.

Links? Here's the only credible one I found :)
http://www.indiapost.gov.in/Pin/pins...?Pin_On=249152
Some of those PO names suggest to me that I got the general location right yesterday.
An easy way to confirm this though is to ask the folks at Kot Bangla.


thanks again..I am really overwhelmed at the details that i am getting here on indiamike..wow!
i have understood it i suppose.. roorkee to rishikesh(i hv already booked tickets in hemkunt express which takes 3 hours) .. go to chamba (direct bus or the one that goes to uttarkashi) then jeep or odd bus to NTT.. phew!
then next day NTT to chamba or uttarkashi(whichever is available).. get down at barethi.. and go to diwari khol or banchaura .. :) now i will take an early bus from NTT (around 5 in the morning) and i have got just a day's work so i was thinking i will complete it by 3 or 4 in the evening and come back to uttarkashi to stay and next day proceed to gangotri.. what say you about it?
#15
| Member

Originally posted by: thando View Post

...and i have got just a day's work so i was thinking i will complete it by 3 or 4 in the evening and come back to uttarkashi to stay and next day proceed to gangotri.. what say you about it?

Hmm, I hope there's transport available back to Barethi at that time. It'll take approx 3 hours in the morning from Chamba to Barethi. Add 1.5-2 hours to get to Diwarikhol, including waiting. You might not make it there before 11 am. Don't know if that leaves you enough time.