Where to Swim ?

#1 Jun 18th, 2014, 19:02
Join Date:
Apr 2012
Location:
UK
Posts:
127
  • rideforever is offline
#1
Hello

I would be interested if someone knows a good place to swim.

When I say swim I mean swim safely in clean water, no sharks, no toxic waste etc...

Perhaps there is an ashram somewhere that has a swimming pool ? That would be great.

Swimming in the sea is ok, but a lake / river would be better ... but most seem very polluted in India.

High in the mountains the water is cleaner but normally fast, cold and dangerous.

Or perhaps a long swimming pool but not in a City.

Perhaps there are some hot springs somewhere ?

Anyone ?
#2 Jun 18th, 2014, 21:51
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Location:
Dilli
Posts:
1,665
Send a message via Yahoo to theRock Send a message via Skype™ to theRock
  • theRock is offline
#2
You are a guy?

Check the below thread:-
http://www.indiamike.com/india/mumba...umbai-t217769/
#3 Jun 18th, 2014, 22:37
Join Date:
Apr 2012
Location:
UK
Posts:
127
  • rideforever is offline
#3
Not in a city.

Somewhere in nature.
#4 Jun 18th, 2014, 22:42
It's all Greek to me, but Benglish will do
Join Date:
Dec 2005
Location:
over a 'wine-dark sea'
Posts:
16,378
  • theyyamdancer is offline
#4
Andaman Islands have great beaches.
#5 Jun 19th, 2014, 00:12
Join Date:
Apr 2012
Location:
UK
Posts:
127
  • rideforever is offline
#5
Andaman has many sea dangers as it is quite open to the ocean. Snakes, sharks, crocodiles, natives, currents.

I would like to swim long distance regularly, so this is not the ideal place.

A sheltered bay, lagoon, river, lake would be safer.
#6 Jun 19th, 2014, 00:43
Join Date:
Jan 2006
Location:
Ireland
Posts:
5,303
  • JuliaF is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforever View Post Andaman has many sea dangers as it is quite open to the ocean. Snakes, sharks, crocodiles, natives, currents.
What do you mean by this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforever View Post I would like to swim long distance regularly, so this is not the ideal place.

A sheltered bay, lagoon, river, lake would be safer.
I have swum (fully dressed in salwar kameez!) in the Narmada at Maheshwar. It was wonderful. A guy I knew who had a back/shoulder injury from a bus accident in Delhi used to swim there early every morning and found it helpful for his problems.
#7 Jun 19th, 2014, 07:16
Join Date:
Mar 2012
Location:
Sydney, Australia
Posts:
10,854
  • Govindpuri is offline
#7
Where will you be travelling in India? And what time of the year?
#8 Jun 19th, 2014, 07:32
Join Date:
Sep 2009
Location:
melbourne australia
Posts:
1,388
  • redninja is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaF View Post What do you mean by this?
I think the OP may be over affected by stories of Headhunters and poison tipped arrows--- it may be a long shot ( HaHa )--- but apparently there are still islands where the locals twang arrows and spears at you if you arrive on their shore ( and good thing to ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaF View Post I have swum (fully dressed in salwar kameez!) in the Narmada at Maheshwar. It was wonderful. A guy I knew who had a back/shoulder injury from a bus accident in Delhi used to swim there early every morning and found it helpful for his problems.

In a "salwar kameez ", i think we might call that a " Plunge " as opposed to a swim, mind you punching out 40 laps in a 25m pool in salwar kameez would be a serious work out, a bit like dragging your own personal sea-anchor. But you would look 100 times cooler in a salwar kameez than trussed up in spandax Lycra ( Thank you alabama 3 )

Apart from surfing at a mirky river mouth at dawn and dusk, which is the perfect way to offer yourself as shark bait ( what to do ?, that's when the waves are the best ), the chances of being taken by a shark are slim --- the last fatal shark attack in india was in 1956, and the stats i found only claim 5 fatal attacks on record, where as here in Aust hell we could almost use them as population control.

If the OP can overcome inner fears, there are thousands of excellent swimming spots on the coast of India ( more likely to die in a traffic accident on the way to the beach ) ---- Apart from hotel pools, of which there are many -- local council pools ( more so found in large city's ) offer good choices-- in Madras there is a 100m public swimming pool, now that's serious cred.
Last edited by JuliaF; Jun 19th, 2014 at 14:09.. Reason: fixed quote
#9 Jun 19th, 2014, 07:51
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Location:
Off
Posts:
3,412
  • prince09 is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforever View Post Perhaps there is an ashram somewhere that has a swimming pool ? That would be great.

High in the mountains the water is cleaner but normally fast, cold and dangerous.

Or perhaps a long swimming pool but not in a City.
Depends on your location in India but since you mentioned ashram, mountains and river Iam guessing you are heading northern India(southern India got all these too but north has more popular spots).

Rishikesh and any towns above it are perfect for you. It's got many ashrams, flowing river and mountains. The water is much cleaner, clear and safe there as long as you dont get in to rapid swirling waters. You can easily identify a safe spot to swim. I swum many many times there amidst sun rise/set, sound of bells, vedic chants and it's a great experience.

p.s : Don't bother about the second hand experience of some posters here who probably will scare you away the moment the name 'Ganges river' is mentioned. Most likely they are talking about their experience in varanasi. The river enters out of the mountains and in to the plains in Rishikesh and the water is clean.
#10 Jun 19th, 2014, 08:07
Join Date:
Sep 2009
Location:
melbourne australia
Posts:
1,388
  • redninja is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince09 View Post Depends on your location in India but since you mentioned ashram, mountains and river Iam guessing you are heading northern India(southern India got all these too but north has more popular spots).

Rishikesh and any towns above it are perfect for you. It's got many ashrams, flowing river and mountains. The water is much cleaner, clear and safe there as long as you dont get in to rapid swirling waters. You can easily identify a safe spot to swim. I swum many many times there amidst sun rise/set, sound of bells, vedic chants and it's a great experience.

p.s : Don't bother about the second hand experience of some posters here who probably will scare you away the moment the name 'Ganges river' is mentioned. Most likely they are talking about their experience in varanasi. The river enters out of the mountains and in to the plains in Rishikesh and the water is clean.

and cold -- super refreshingly cold !!!
#11 Jun 19th, 2014, 08:17
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Location:
Off
Posts:
3,412
  • prince09 is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by redninja View Post and cold -- super refreshingly cold !!!
Yes, between december and march, but still manageable If you get in to the river at noon(12 to 4pm). Very refreshing!
#12 Jun 19th, 2014, 08:23
Join Date:
Sep 2009
Location:
melbourne australia
Posts:
1,388
  • redninja is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince09 View Post Yes, between december and march, but still manageable If you get in to the river at noon(12 to 4pm). Very refreshing!

Wow you are keen, between dec and march you would be nearly chipping the ice away before you dive in -- high summer the beas in manali is too cold for me.
#13 Jun 19th, 2014, 08:30
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Location:
Off
Posts:
3,412
  • prince09 is offline
#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by redninja View Post Wow you are keen, between dec and march you would be nearly chipping the ice away before you dive in -- high summer the beas in manali is too cold for me.


Na...not that ice chipping cold.

I'd be glad to be in the river in high summer anywhere in India below 2000metres altitude.

Btw, I did dip in to Beas at manali in high winters too!
#14 Jun 19th, 2014, 08:39
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Land that shakes and bakes.
Posts:
15,832
  • edwardseco is offline
#14
Quote:
and cold -- super refreshingly cold !
Not by the time the Brahmaputra reaches Bangladesh, comfy..




Wasn't going to bite but its a boring day..
#15 Jun 19th, 2014, 12:51
Join Date:
Feb 2014
Location:
Delhi
Posts:
5,689
  • BholeBaba is offline
#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforever View Post Hello

I would be interested if someone knows a good place to swim.

When I say swim I mean swim safely in clean water, no sharks, no toxic waste etc...

Perhaps there is an ashram somewhere that has a swimming pool ? That would be great.

Swimming in the sea is ok, but a lake / river would be better ... but most seem very polluted in India.

High in the mountains the water is cleaner but normally fast, cold and dangerous.

Or perhaps a long swimming pool but not in a City.

Perhaps there are some hot springs somewhere ?

Anyone ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforever View Post Andaman has many sea dangers as it is quite open to the ocean. Snakes, sharks, crocodiles, natives, currents.

I would like to swim long distance regularly, so this is not the ideal place.

A sheltered bay, lagoon, river, lake would be safer.
I reckon you will shoot down any suggestion put to you on one or another ground-pollution, sharks, crocodiles, "natives", or some such.

I suggest you buy a plane ticket to Canada and head for one of the pristine lakes in that country, without further delay.
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
anywhere to swim? Aug 15th, 2011 00:46 6 2827 Delhi
Kundapura: swim in the sea? Jun 1st, 2010 11:40 14 2791 Karnataka
Swim Teacher Aug 30th, 2009 21:23 3 2621 Moving to Hyderabad
Can you swim in Goa in October? Mar 26th, 2009 19:55 6 2401 Goa
swim wear in the andamans Nov 4th, 2008 03:01 27 15535 Andaman & Nicobar Islands


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success