Himalaya

#1 May 25th, 2018, 14:43
Join Date:
May 2018
Location:
Bristol
Posts:
10
  • Dvaita is offline
#1
Hello everyone,

Let me start with saying that I've never been to India. I'm planning on going to India for about 2 weeks.

I would like to go to Himachal Pradesh and hike through the paths to visit various villages/towns like Manali, Malana and more. What month would be best for Himalayas? I can go October, November or December.

Also, I plan on staying on an ashram for some time there so could you recommend an ashram that's as high as possible in the Himalayas and close to nature preferably(not so close to towns etc). I would prefer if it was an ashram that I can work to stay there but if not I'm more than willing to pay.

Do you think it's possible to engage with locals in small towns/villages so I can stay with them for the night and experience their everyday life?

Thanks everyone. This forum is the most informative forum I've ever found.
#2 May 25th, 2018, 17:57
Join Date:
May 2005
Location:
u.k.
Posts:
5,008
  • kullukid is offline
#2
October would be best, but even Nov & Dec are ok, Dec does get very cold at night. Only Ashram near Manali is Swami Shyam's he died last year & it's a fortune to stay there, lot's of scandal around him, wouldn't really recommend it. The word Ashram means resting place, that resting place is within, so go within & find your own Ashram. "wks is not a long time & there is plenty to see & do in that area, so I wouldn't worry too much about Ashram's.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvaita View Post Hello everyone,

Let me start with saying that I've never been to India. I'm planning on going to India for about 2 weeks.

I would like to go to Himachal Pradesh and hike through the paths to visit various villages/towns like Manali, Malana and more. What month would be best for Himalayas? I can go October, November or December.

Also, I plan on staying on an ashram for some time there so could you recommend an ashram that's as high as possible in the Himalayas and close to nature preferably(not so close to towns etc). I would prefer if it was an ashram that I can work to stay there but if not I'm more than willing to pay.

Do you think it's possible to engage with locals in small towns/villages so I can stay with them for the night and experience their everyday life?

Thanks everyone. This forum is the most informative forum I've ever found.
SOS: Missing Person...

Please look at this thread: http://www.indiamike.com/india/uttar...012-a-t159252/

He could be anywhere now: You might have met him, be able to help, or give information.
#3 May 25th, 2018, 19:05
Join Date:
May 2018
Location:
Bristol
Posts:
10
  • Dvaita is offline
#3
Thanks for the info. Do you recommend any place to visit in Himachal Pradesh?(would prefer something up in the mountains)

Also, any chance you know of any resting places up in the mountains? I'm still gathering information about where to go,what to do etc so any advice would be helpful.
#4 May 26th, 2018, 04:26
Join Date:
May 2005
Location:
u.k.
Posts:
5,008
  • kullukid is offline
#4
This is a nice quiet place just on the edge of Kasol see post 14; https://www.indiamike.com/india/kull...manali-t26368/

From here you are just a walk down the road from Manikaran from where you can take a bus to Barshaini & walk to Pulga or Kalga from there you can trek to Kheer Ganga. Also from kasol take a bus to Jari where you can take a share jeep to the Dam project, from there you can walk up to Malana.

Most of Kasol closes down in Dec, so Oct or at latest Nov would be better.

KK
#5 May 26th, 2018, 12:11
Join Date:
May 2014
Location:
In the original virtual world - 'The Mind' - a beautiful thing
Posts:
8,555
  • snotty is offline
#5

Himalaya

And since we are discussing Kasol, do check out a small village known as Grahan - about a 5 km hike from Kasol. No vehicles reach there.
Have got guesthouses from stay. Poor mobile connectivity.
Sar Pass Trek , Rohtang, Munnar, Badrinath Kedarnath, Vaishnodevi, Goa, VOF, Kedarkantha, Kuari Pass, Brahmatal Trek
#6 May 27th, 2018, 02:34
Join Date:
May 2018
Location:
Bristol
Posts:
10
  • Dvaita is offline
#6
Really thanks a lot. I also got told that Mcleod ganj is a nice place to visit and I can stay at the monasteries. Do you think it's worth visiting this place?

I've checked all the places that you recommended and they seem beautiful. I've put them all in my notes and I plan on visiting them. I've decided that I want to go late October for about 3 weeks.
#7 May 27th, 2018, 15:15
Join Date:
May 2005
Location:
u.k.
Posts:
5,008
  • kullukid is offline
#7
Yes, McLeod is a great place, but full of westerners & some scrummy places to eat catering for westerners. The Monasteries are a bit out of town & everything is up very steep hills to get to McLeod, there are plenty of cheap G/H with great views, also consider staying in Bhagsu (again touristy) or if you want to be far from the madding crowd consider a stay at the old village of Dharamkot way up the hill from McLeod, even better views here & very peaceful. If you are insisting on staying at a monastery & you now have 3wks then go to Rewalsar Lake, another Tibetan settlement on a small lake surrounded by monasteries, much nicer than McLeod. While there you can visit the caves of Padmasambhava where he did penance before flying to Tibet on a tiger to introduce Buddhist teachings to Tibet by the request of the king. Legend says the lake was formed by Padmasambhava (more about that later). It is one hour from Mandi where there are over 100 very old Hindu temples & is on the way to Manali from Mcleod. Try searching Rewalsar Lake on & some of my other posts may come up, if not I will post some links later when I have time. I can also recommend a Monastery there I've stayed in a number of times. KK
#8 May 27th, 2018, 16:52
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
U.K
Posts:
1,595
  • fsg is offline
#8
Tho I have only travelled a little in the Himalayas, none of the places Kullkid mentioned, I would take her advice totally.

So many here warble on about here and there, how wonderful etc, but KK's advice you will find is genuine>

Enjoy your trip.
#9 May 27th, 2018, 17:04
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,773
  • Nick-H is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsg View Post I would take her advice totally.
I've met her... and her wife: she is a he! Funny how this happens with anonymous forums: on another thread, I had assumed maleness of a participant, until I chanced to look at her profile.

On-topic: I too would commend the genuine breadth and depth of KK's knowledge.
~
Life gets aadhar every day.
.
#10 May 27th, 2018, 18:49
Join Date:
May 2018
Location:
Bristol
Posts:
10
  • Dvaita is offline
#10
Rewalsar Lake it is then(it seems rather beautiful). 1 hour from Mandi I suppose on foot? Feel free to recommend a monastery by the lake. The guest house in Kasol is really nice, any specific instructions on how to find it(should I go around asking for Bahadur family guest house? Since I have never been to India, would asking around about places and how to get there work? Also, I see you mentioned Chalal for a smoke, do they have better hash than Malana?(I don't plan on smoking that much but I would like to get high grade)



Quote:
Originally Posted by kullukid View Post Yes, McLeod is a great place, but full of westerners & some scrummy places to eat catering for westerners. The Monasteries are a bit out of town & everything is up very steep hills to get to McLeod, there are plenty of cheap G/H with great views, also consider staying in Bhagsu (again touristy) or if you want to be far from the madding crowd consider a stay at the old village of Dharamkot way up the hill from McLeod, even better views here & very peaceful. If you are insisting on staying at a monastery & you now have 3wks then go to Rewalsar Lake, another Tibetan settlement on a small lake surrounded by monasteries, much nicer than McLeod. While there you can visit the caves of Padmasambhava where he did penance before flying to Tibet on a tiger to introduce Buddhist teachings to Tibet by the request of the king. Legend says the lake was formed by Padmasambhava (more about that later). It is one hour from Mandi where there are over 100 very old Hindu temples & is on the way to Manali from Mcleod. Try searching Rewalsar Lake on & some of my other posts may come up, if not I will post some links later when I have time. I can also recommend a Monastery there I've stayed in a number of times. KK
#11 May 28th, 2018, 00:17
Join Date:
May 2005
Location:
u.k.
Posts:
5,008
  • kullukid is offline
#11
#12 May 28th, 2018, 01:01
Join Date:
May 2005
Location:
u.k.
Posts:
5,008
  • kullukid is offline
#12
HH Dalai Lama will be giving teachings in McLeod Ganj & Manali in October;

https://www.dalailama.com/schedule
#13 May 28th, 2018, 04:16
Join Date:
May 2018
Location:
Bristol
Posts:
10
  • Dvaita is offline
#13
KK I can't thank you enough. I've decided to turn up in Rewalsar and find accommodation there as the link doesn't work anymore. Dalai Lama? That's gonna be interesting. I'll stay in the place you recommended in Kasol as it looks stunning. I get this feeling that I'm travelling somewhere so different that I want to have things planned out, but in reality I don't think that except a few places I want to visit anything else will be planned or will go according to any plan. Feel free to drop anymore suggestions as there is a few months till October. Satnam
#14 May 28th, 2018, 16:38
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,773
  • Nick-H is offline
#14
Quote:
Dalai Lama? That's gonna be interesting.
Does he still visit UK regularly? Experience recommended!
#15 May 28th, 2018, 23:41
Join Date:
May 2005
Location:
u.k.
Posts:
5,008
  • kullukid is offline
#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvaita View Post Rewalsar Lake it is then(it seems rather beautiful). 1 hour from Mandi I suppose on foot? Feel free to recommend a monastery by the lake. The guest house in Kasol is really nice, any specific instructions on how to find it(should I go around asking for Bahadur family guest house? Since I have never been to India, would asking around about places and how to get there work? Also, I see you mentioned Chalal for a smoke, do they have better hash than Malana?(I don't plan on smoking that much but I would like to get high grade)
It's 1hr by bus, which you catch from the very centre of Mandi (not the bus stand) there is a large area in the centre of Mandi where lot's of people sit & stand around, the bus stop is there, just ask any local.
I've stayed at Drikung Kagyu Monastery many times, Rewalsar Lake is very small, when you get off the bus walk towards the taxi/jeep stand/office, it's near the gate that leads to the road around the lake (no cars allowed), as you go through the gate another gate to the monastery is immediately on your right, there is a small café by the gate (emaho café) that belongs to the monastery, ask a monk in here for a room, ask if you can have a room up the hill they are much better, the cheap ones at the bottom, are verreeee verreeee basic & used by pilgrims from Tibet, Ladakh, Bhutan, Mongolia & tend to be a bit flea bitten. They may ask you if you are ordained, just say you have a strong interest in Buddhism & a friend who's stayed many times recommended you stay here, I have never booked, but they get very busy during certain auspicious dates or festivals, so may be worth booking ahead, I found this number, not sure if it works??


http://www.petitfute.uk.com/accommod.../e-435037.html

http://www.dharma-media.org/wogmin/monastery.html

P.S. Don't get ordained!!

according to Google G/H booking number is; +91 98167 35264

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Himalaya Oct 12th, 2011 15:35 0 908 Delhi
Where to go in Nov/ Dec... Himalaya... Aug 24th, 2011 07:48 1 706 India Travel Itinerary Advice
W/L on Darjeeling Himalaya May 29th, 2008 05:53 0 1104 Indian Railways
Hairdryers in the Himalaya! Oct 17th, 2005 10:38 3 2132 Packing Tips for India travel


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success