Dying To Our unlived Lives! Are We?

#1 Dec 7th, 2014, 12:19
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Location:
India
Posts:
1,414
  • narayanvee is offline
#1
I think it was the great Spanish Poet Lorca who said this. I often wonder whether all of us are not doing the same or how is life to be lived? When I think of life there are a few things that stare at me. I did not have a chance not to be born as it was not a matter of choice. It was just a matter of chance. The one was me because of the survival of the fittest of sperms which fertilized the ovum. Those who believe in God can say that God decided this but I believe that it was part of a natural selection process which goes on by itself all around in everything. But that also does not make any difference in the way one lives.I do not think that I could have done anything more to feel that I have lived my life; it is a process which goes on whether one is active or passive. Is there anybody who feels otherwise, I wonder.
#2 Dec 11th, 2014, 07:54
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Location:
India
Posts:
1,414
  • narayanvee is offline
#2

Spirituality

For those who are interested in spirituality -please log on to this site-
SPIRITUALITY.Teachings of a great Himalayan Hermit.
#3 Dec 12th, 2014, 07:48
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Location:
India
Posts:
1,414
  • narayanvee is offline
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanvee View Post For those who are interested in spirituality -please log on to this site-
SPIRITUALITY.Teachings of a great Himalayan Hermit.
Link to the home page is HIMALAYAN HERMIT
#4 Dec 19th, 2014, 11:41
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
New Delhi
Posts:
5,147
  • Aupmanyav is offline
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanvee View Post The one was me because of the survival of the fittest of sperms which fertilized the ovum. .. I wonder.
Well, you were the fastest one, first to reach the finish line, you won the medal and what all it entails.
#5 Dec 19th, 2014, 11:52
Join Date:
Aug 2013
Location:
Himachal, India
Posts:
478
  • inditramp is offline
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanvee View Post But that also does not make any difference in the way one lives.I do not think that I could have done anything more to feel that I have lived my life; it is a process which goes on whether one is active or passive. Is there anybody who feels otherwise, I wonder.
“make a radical change in your lifestyle and begin to boldly do things which you may previously never have thought of doing, or been too hesitant to attempt. So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservation, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. If you want to get more out of life, you must lose your inclination for monotonous security and adopt a helter-skelter style of life that will at first appear to you to be crazy. But once you become accustomed to such a life you will see its full meaning and its incredible beauty.”
― Jon Krakauer, Into the Wild
"I listen to the tramp, tramp of my feet, and wonder where I was going, and why I was going."
Last edited by inditramp; Dec 19th, 2014 at 11:54.. Reason: added emphasis
#6 Dec 19th, 2014, 12:38
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
delhi
Posts:
3,051
  • cityMONK is offline
#6
Again it is God's will that I am active or passive.
Papaya is a Vegetable and Tomato is a Fruit
#7 Dec 19th, 2014, 19:44
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
New Delhi
Posts:
5,147
  • Aupmanyav is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by inditramp View Post “.. adopt a helter-skelter style of life that will at first appear to you to be crazy. But once you become accustomed to such a life you will see its full meaning and its incredible beauty.” - Jon Krakauer, Into the Wild
Carefully, Narayanvee. Not at our age, or even at our age?
#8 Dec 19th, 2014, 23:44
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Location:
India
Posts:
1,414
  • narayanvee is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aupmanyav View Post Carefully, Narayanvee. Not at our age, or even at our age?
Definitely not.
Quote:
but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.
Inditramp-
I have to disagree as ideas such as this is so relative- adventure may be one's cup of nectar, but another's poison. No river is the same, no day is the same,no sun is the same; these are always changing, including our body. It is only that thread of memory transferred from cell to cell and the ego which make one feel I am the same as before and after. And happiness, after all what is it but a state of mind and so is so much relative. When I am hungry food may make me happy, but when satiated food may mean nothing. As far as I am concerned the best way to be happy is to limit my wants and be happy in what I have. To some it may mean more and more of everything, adventure, achievements,possessions etc. Another man's joy may be my agony and so to each his own.
#9 Dec 20th, 2014, 00:02
Join Date:
Feb 2009
Location:
London
Posts:
517
  • greenears is offline
#9
Yes, I felt a similar sense of disagreement as narayanvee when I read the post quoting 'into the wild'. This idea that life is meant to be an ever-expanding set of experiences is relative, isn't it? Dare I generalise and say that it is a 'western' idea? In any case it is only one idea of life. But one that is becoming more and more current.
#10 Dec 20th, 2014, 00:23
Join Date:
Aug 2013
Location:
Himachal, India
Posts:
478
  • inditramp is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenears View Post Yes, I felt a similar sense of disagreement as narayanvee when I read the post quoting 'into the wild'. This idea that life is meant to be an ever-expanding set of experiences is relative, isn't it? Dare I generalise and say that it is a 'western' idea? In any case it is only one idea of life. But one that is becoming more and more current.
But isn't an ever-expanding set of experience pertinent to what we call life. Everyday that I live I add to my set of experiences. I know more than I did yesterday and less than what I will tomorrow. Experiences will come knocking in everyday life and you cannot shut the door and say go away...I refuse to let you enter.

The idea behind the quote was to be an antithesis to the oft fatalistic and/or nihilistic view of life...
Last edited by inditramp; Dec 20th, 2014 at 00:24.. Reason: grammar
#11 Dec 20th, 2014, 00:29
Join Date:
Feb 2009
Location:
London
Posts:
517
  • greenears is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by inditramp View Post But isn't an ever-expanding set of experience pertinent to what we call life. Everyday that I live I add to my set of experiences. I know more than I did yesterday and less than what I will tomorrow. Experiences will come knocking in everyday life and you cannot shut the door and say go away...I refuse to let you enter.

The idea behind the quote was to be an antithesis to the oft fatalistic and/or nihilistic view of life...
Maybe the crucial difference lies in the conscious pursuit of experience - which is what I feel is becoming more and more current.

The opposite of seeking experiences need not be nihilism or fatalism...
#12 Dec 20th, 2014, 13:18
Join Date:
Dec 2012
Location:
Earth
Posts:
9
  • Sandipanalone is offline
#12
One of the great saint/Avatar Sri Ramakrisna said : Living is only for God. everything is changing. Only one is fixed (dhruba)----- God
#13 Dec 21st, 2014, 10:34
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Location:
India
Posts:
1,414
  • narayanvee is offline
#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by inditramp View Post But isn't an ever-expanding set of experience pertinent to what we call life. Everyday that I live I add to my set of experiences. I know more than I did yesterday and less than what I will tomorrow. Experiences will come knocking in everyday life and you cannot shut the door and say go away...I refuse to let you enter.
The idea behind the quote was to be an antithesis to the oft fatalistic and/or nihilistic view of life...
Yes, I do agree with you to the fact that we cannot (mean ordinary people like us) cannot shut down our senses to the experiences outside. That also is the crux of the problem which leads one to the ever demanding state of mind of more and more. I am not a fatalist, but I believe that there are many things in life which are in our control. So there is a scope for choice in many areas as far as the life of an individual is concerned- I agree with Sartre to some extent that we are condemned to be free in the midst of immense choices and possibilities. The problem some times is to know/not know which will be the better(relative?) choice. If one can shut the doors of the mind to experiences , I think that it leads to the state of no mind. Is it not an ideal condition where your ego, the "I" just vanishes? Open for discussion.
Last edited by narayanvee; Dec 22nd, 2014 at 09:42..
#14 Dec 26th, 2014, 21:17
Join Date:
Aug 2013
Location:
Himachal, India
Posts:
478
  • inditramp is offline
#14
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanvee View Post Yes, I do agree with you to the fact that we cannot (mean ordinary people like us) cannot shut down our senses to the experiences outside. That also is the crux of the problem which leads one to the ever demanding state of mind of more and more. I am not a fatalist, but I believe that there are many things in life which are in our control. So there is a scope for choice in many areas as far as the life of an individual is concerned- I agree with Sartre to some extent that we are condemned to be free in the midst of immense choices and possibilities. The problem some times is to know/not know which will be the better(relative?) choice. If one can shut the doors of the mind to experiences , I think that it leads to the state of no mind. Is it not an ideal condition where your ego, the "I" just vanishes? Open for discussion.
Ok since we agree that we (normal people) cannot shut ourselves from experiences outside. The poignant question then is: should we strive to?

If we did aren't we making a mockery of all the sensory perception that we have been blessed with / or evolved into as human beings. The theory of Karma suggests that it is our duty, nay responsibility, to strive and exist in tandem with these experiences. I see a strong corollary with "rules" in any scientific discipline. In order to be able to break these "rules" we should understand them first. Similarly, to be able to renounce all experiences that life throws our way we should be able to experience "most" of them first. Let he who has experienced it all, be the first to renounce them (cast the first stone...)

Open for discussion.
--
the thoughts and experiences suggested here are the author's own. Any inconvenience caused is deeply regretted
Last edited by inditramp; Dec 26th, 2014 at 21:19.. Reason: added more description
#15 Dec 27th, 2014, 09:29
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
New Delhi
Posts:
5,147
  • Aupmanyav is offline
#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by inditramp View Post should we strive to?
Try or not, they will be there. How you react to them is important. Do not forget your dharma, fulfill your responsibilities.

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
me - dying to go back to India :) May 23rd, 2012 08:00 16 1769 Introduce Yourself
Boy Dying On Street- Help!! Dec 13th, 2008 22:56 38 3956 Mumbai (Bombay)


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success