Carpet scams

#1 Sep 23rd, 2009, 14:56
Join Date:
Sep 2009
Location:
Montreal
Posts:
5
  • DeanMTL is offline
#1
I toured Rajasthan and just wanted everyone to know this:

When you shop for carpets, nearly every store or shop will try to sell you silk carpets and convince you they are all made in Kashmir.

In fact, they are made all over India, in thousands of small factories everywhere. They are not made of silk at all, but mostly of mercerized cotton, which is a weak and nondurable textile that is not prized at all in the collectors' carpet world.

Some of these carpets are beautiful anyways, so if you don't care about durability or authenticity of material then buy away, but be warned - at prices of 40,000 rupees at the bare minimum, this an extremely expensive proposition for cheap cotton carpets.
#2 Sep 23rd, 2009, 21:22
Join Date:
Sep 2005
Location:
India
Posts:
4,761
  • mridula is offline
#2
My, they as for 40,000 rupees! Hope you didn't buy one.
#3 Sep 23rd, 2009, 22:12
Join Date:
Aug 2009
Location:
South Dakota, USA
Posts:
28
  • RusherRacing is offline
#3
Well I am also looking into getting a good quality carpet silk or wool. However the room I want to put it in has a lot of light (sunroom). Can someone tell me if the dye they typically use is really good quality? I just don't want to see one of our memories from the trip be ruined in 5 years from the sun.

Also, I will have local from Jammu/Kashmire help with the negotating of the carpet or carpets.
#4 Sep 23rd, 2009, 22:21
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,958
  • Nick-H is offline
#4
I've seen 40,000-pound carpets.

In London.

Hey! They were reduced to half price

But that would still have been most of my year salary, and hey, I didn't have a big enough room anyway
~
Life gets aadhar every day.
.
#5 Sep 23rd, 2009, 22:28
Join Date:
Aug 2005
Location:
India
Posts:
1,297
  • anar is offline
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanMTL View Post I toured Rajasthan and just wanted everyone to know this:

When you shop for carpets, nearly every store or shop will try to sell you silk carpets and convince you they are all made in Kashmir.

In fact, they are made all over India, in thousands of small factories everywhere. They are not made of silk at all, but mostly of mercerized cotton, which is a weak and nondurable textile that is not prized at all in the collectors' carpet world.

Some of these carpets are beautiful anyways, so if you don't care about durability or authenticity of material then buy away, but be warned - at prices of 40,000 rupees at the bare minimum, this an extremely expensive proposition for cheap cotton carpets.
i travel to kashmir end of this month. although i don't intend to buy a silk carpet there, i would like to know how to tell one apart from a cheap cotton version, just in case i am tempted. any tips you could share would be helpful. i don't expect they try to sell the cotton ones when they produce silk ones in kashmir but you never know - the profits to be made may be reason why some may try to do this.
#6 Sep 25th, 2009, 16:13
Join Date:
Sep 2008
Location:
Varies, currently in D.C.
Posts:
2,382
  • dillichaat is offline
#6
Pull out a thread and light it, taking care not to set the store ablaze and after asking permission. Cotton smells like burning leaves/paper and leaves a fine ash that turns to dust when touched. Silk smells of burning hair but so does wool. The residue is however, different, with a burning silk thread ending in a kind of 'bead'.

This test, however won't work with blends of materials nor with certain synthetics. If they cheat you I would surmise they'd do it by selling a synthetic/wool blend as silk.

It's a minefield. Whatever material it is, bargain brutally.
"It is preferable to have a criminal for a servant rather than a fool because a criminal's actions are predictable and you can protect yourself against them, whereas there is no telling what a fool's next move will be.
Last edited by dillichaat; Sep 25th, 2009 at 16:14.. Reason: Typo correction
#7 Sep 25th, 2009, 19:45
Join Date:
Aug 2005
Location:
India
Posts:
1,297
  • anar is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillichaat View Post Pull out a thread and light it, taking care not to set the store ablaze and after asking permission. Cotton smells like burning leaves/paper and leaves a fine ash that turns to dust when touched. Silk smells of burning hair but so does wool. The residue is however, different, with a burning silk thread ending in a kind of 'bead'.

This test, however won't work with blends of materials nor with certain synthetics. If they cheat you I would surmise they'd do it by selling a synthetic/wool blend as silk.

It's a minefield. Whatever material it is, bargain brutally.
thanks dillichaat, will keep in mind.
#8 Sep 26th, 2009, 08:31
Join Date:
Sep 2005
Location:
Abode of Glooscap
Posts:
10,517
  • PeakXV is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by anar View Post i travel to kashmir end of this month. although i don't intend to buy a silk carpet there, i would like to know how to tell one apart from a cheap cotton version, just in case i am tempted. any tips you could share would be helpful.
A pure silk pile feels much colder to the touch than cotton or wool. Also, when they say 100% silk - they do not necessarily mean that the foundation(warp/weft)is silk as well .... but if they're asking a big ticket price it ought to be!
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. ~
T. S. Eliot

http://www.derekgrantdigital.com
#9 Sep 26th, 2009, 11:06
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Land that shakes and bakes.
Posts:
15,885
  • edwardseco is offline
#9
Quote:
I've seen 40,000-pound carpets
Too heavy for me to ship back..
#10 Sep 26th, 2009, 11:59
Join Date:
Aug 2005
Location:
India
Posts:
1,297
  • anar is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardseco View Post Too heavy for me to ship back..
#11 Sep 26th, 2009, 12:53
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,958
  • Nick-H is offline
#11
Just a little bit over the baggage allowance .
#12 Sep 26th, 2009, 13:06
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Land that shakes and bakes.
Posts:
15,885
  • edwardseco is offline
#12
I am still learning half crowns, farthings, florins. My spouse knows all this.!
#13 Sep 26th, 2009, 21:08
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,958
  • Nick-H is offline
#13
Farthings (1/4 old penny) were only collectors' items by the time even I was born! So were Crowns (5/-, that's five shillings).

Shillings, florins (2/-), half crowns (2/6) were the stuff of my childhood.

(how did we get into this in the carpet thread?)
#14 Sep 26th, 2009, 23:44
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Land that shakes and bakes.
Posts:
15,885
  • edwardseco is offline
#14
It unravelled..
#15 Sep 27th, 2009, 15:18
Join Date:
Feb 2007
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
1,061
  • Prashant.M is offline
#15
Good one edwardseco

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
How to deal with scams ? Dec 1st, 2010 16:53 60 8504 Scams and Annoyances in India
Who to blame when your pet becomes a carpet on the road? Jan 10th, 2009 10:12 23 3538 Pets and Pet Care in India
Delhi - Carpet Buying Oct 24th, 2004 07:57 1 2849 Delhi
Scams and annoyances Nov 14th, 2001 07:35 3 2647 Scams and Annoyances in India


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success