15,000 Euro gem scam

Reply
#31 Sep 17th, 2012, 15:34
Join Date:
Sep 2012
Location:
Earth
Posts:
11
  • JonTempDoe is offline
#31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post Backed up by the card transaction trail which leads to someone receiving the money.
True. But then, they have a document in my hand listing the jewelry and its price and an air courier receipt saying that the jewels were shipped... It becomes my word against theirs and at the end of the day they have all the documentation and all of my personal details and I have an incriminating sob story, a bunch of fake details and no documentation whatsoever.

This is a very well planned and executed sting (and I am an idiot), not some two bit job. Which is why there is a lot more additional risk to me and almost none to them.

I am ignorant of the exact police workings in India and don't know exactly what they can technically do or what they might be willing to do, but I doubt that there is any way to pin these guys down... Also, I am no longer in India which makes my potential power much smaller.

If I'm wrong let me know...
#32 Sep 17th, 2012, 17:29
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,636
  • Nick-H is offline
#32
OK, I can understand your point of view that they set you up [un]fair and square and that you are sunk with the cost.
#33 Sep 18th, 2012, 08:29
Join Date:
Jan 2005
Location:
yörp
Posts:
21,997
  • machadinha is offline
#33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTempDoe View Post When I say no one cares I mean this is not a large enough sum for us to send police officers/investigators to India and not enough for India to start looking for ways to 'bring me back to India for justice'.
I'm not sure where this international stuff comes in.

I don't know about where you live, but in Europe I've handled insurance claims or sat next to there involving something like a broken pair of glasses or a stolen camera. You really get grilled.

I'll agree any fraud authorities will probably only get involved for larger amounts. (It used to be X in the Netherlands, then got lessened to Z, since apparently too many people with that amount of money were getting themselves into a pickle buying non-existent houses abroad and such. I'm never quite sure how one would if one had access to such, and so not get oneself duly represented and informed, but whatever. Apparently they need protecting from themselves.)

I still don't quite get the picture here: Would some traveler cheques company accept you buying E 10-15,000 worth of them, with no questions asked? If you now claimed they'd been stolen, wouldn't they be the ones grilling you? Wouldn't you have actually needed to buy those, so paying that money? In that case, wouldn't you have been perfectly aware what you were getting yourself involved with by now? And if so, how would that transaction be pending?

There's no real need to answer: I think I've lost my interest in the story.
Last edited by machadinha; Sep 18th, 2012 at 08:35.. Reason: edited
#34 Sep 18th, 2012, 08:45
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,458
  • nycank is offline
#34
Quote:
Originally Posted by machadinha View Post No need to answer: I think I've lost my interest in the story.
There is no story. When one buy TCs (Let's say Amex TC) you go to the a place and they say how much and you say 1000USD. The first thing the American Express does, is withdraw 1000USD from your bank (or take your cash) before issuing you the TCs. Once the the bank transaction is OK, only then do the cashiers slip 1000USD in TCs over to the client to sign

The OP claims the 15,000 Euro is still in his bank account, not yet withdrawn wow !!!

Since the 70s, every bank has to report (irrespective of registration and incorporation) any transaction more that USD10,000. So, if the Indian gem scammers even scammed him, the OP's bank is mandated to report to and from of this EUR15,000 - If he is serious, he can report to his local Law Enforcement.

As obione980 said: The story does not hang together. And I am not even a journalist, let alone investigative journalist.

Hey! I have proof that Elvis is alive and in Planet Earth, any Dutch journalist interested in that story !!!


Sorry I have no Nekkid pics to sell
#35 Sep 18th, 2012, 08:55
Join Date:
Jan 2005
Location:
yörp
Posts:
21,997
  • machadinha is offline
#35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycank View Post Sorry I have no Nekkid pics to sell
Now that really gets my goat
#36 Sep 18th, 2012, 09:11
Join Date:
Jan 2005
Location:
yörp
Posts:
21,997
  • machadinha is offline
#36
ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycank View Post Since the 70s, every bank has to report (irrespective of registration and incorporation) any transaction more that USD10,000. So, if the Indian gem scammers even scammed him, the OP's bank is mandated to report to and from of this EUR15,000 - If he is serious, he can report to his local Law Enforcement.
Certainly, but so then this logic might kick in of they showing some interest in what the transaction was all about.

Anyways: Yawn, indeed I just lurvs being told you can't be critical of what is told you, and that by a fresh poster:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTempDoe View Post I'll not answer flames/threads which doubt the credibility of the story.
And anyways like has been said: Unpaid-for traveler's cheques? Never heard of it. Please expound That's just not at all how that business works. It is in fact an ancient sytem, and precisely meant to avoid fraud, whilst still offering a reasonable safeguard against loss or theft.
Last edited by machadinha; Sep 18th, 2012 at 09:23.. Reason: edited
#37 Jan 25th, 2013, 23:07
Join Date:
Jan 2013
Location:
new delhi
Posts:
1
  • vicky sharma is offline
#37
Hi,please let me know exactly what happened and where..


Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTempDoe View Post I post so that you know this is still alive and has new twists. As identical tax evasion-courier stories have been posted before in much detail (no, they are not fictions) I'll tell only the new bits.

To answer the inevitable questions I admit to being young, naive, idealistic and very trusting. Please note that greed and a promise that everything I'd do would be strictly legal are what hooked me but the only reason I followed through is because of trust - once someone gets you to trust them you become blinded to faults that are otherwise easily apparent. I felt at times that things were not entirely right but put it down to this being normal for a 'shady business' and woke up to reality entirely about 4 hours after I'd paid when I was in the airport and did a few online searches to relieve the worries.

The new bits in the story are taking me to what appeared to be a courthouse (they took photos and a thumbprint, it looked legit) to sign documents showing payment and receipt of goods making the transfer probably impossible to contest via any legal institution. Also, as part of the fake payment for the jewels I 'bought' (that is, a charade was set up) 10,000 euro's worth of traveller's cheques and later signed a court document that I'd lost them (enabling insurance claims for the company). Note that I signed before I read and only bothered to read once we were back in the car (again - trust).
Also note that if these are real court documents this is a criminal offense i.e. forgery and since traveller's cheques are concerned it also involves India-US relations...

The money is still in my bank account, but the credit transaction is confirmed and cash will be withdrawn in 3 weeks. I do not ask for miracle solutions, I doubt there are any and due to the new twists in the story the potential losses of legal action probably outweigh the potential gain so I consider this a very expensive lesson in trust... I still intend to be as trusting as possible in everything except for money, but I guess with money I'll go get someone else's help...

If you are aware of anonymous newspapers/investigative journals which could make good use of the full story let me know and I'll tell them. I don't have many real details, but I do have some (no pictures unfortunately) and if someone really does want to track these people down it could prove a start.

I'll not answer flames/threads which doubt the credibility of the story. It is true, if you want to believe you will if you don't then don't.
#38 Jan 26th, 2013, 01:24
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Land that shakes and bakes.
Posts:
15,777
  • edwardseco is offline
#38
A cold, cold thread but a perennial scam..
#39 Feb 8th, 2013, 19:11
Join Date:
Feb 2013
Location:
France
Posts:
14
  • Taliesyn427 is offline
#39
one of the jewellry scams works well because the tourist does not need to pay anything at all.
then there is an unexpected question from the customs who are suspicious and wants proof of payments, then fear of judicial actions strikes and the tourist pays, and is sent by plane to be safe from police.

Then back home money less the tourist notices how stupid he's been and how smart the guys were. I am one of these tourists and I tell anyone

jewellry;, high gain/ go away!

I thought I would not fall in such thing, I though that I had enough morality not to do that and money is not my motivation in life ...
the lesson is expensive but it is alos just money. my body and mind is still here and growing

Namaste
#40 Feb 8th, 2013, 19:24
Join Date:
Feb 2011
Location:
London
Posts:
1,665
  • NomadicBoo is offline
#40
I don't know how many times it needs to be said but if it sounds too good to be true, it DEFINITELY is.

You reap what you sow. Making a quick buck is just a quick way to lose many.

NB
"See the World, then see India - because the World is an anti-climax"
#41 Feb 8th, 2013, 20:39
Join Date:
Feb 2013
Location:
France
Posts:
14
  • Taliesyn427 is offline
#41
I don't know how many times moral lesson giver will think about that one: think well before you speak
please, we know all what we broke in our own moral code, do you like an injury to repoen? you are smart enough to resist the scam when the movie exposed is in front of you.... we've been in it, that is different, the guys are good...

The most important in our testimonies is to warn others, so that many know and are armed against it.
Simple moral code as "You shall not covet..." is true, and known, in the head until it is known as experience.

please to all givers of moral lessons, let us scammed help each other and preventing more people to fall in it by describing our experience, without being polluted by your moralistic comments: we know that already, thank you!

The higher one is the higher the temptation.
#42 Feb 8th, 2013, 20:46
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,636
  • Nick-H is offline
#42
That sounds awfully moralistic!

Sowing what you reap?
#43 Feb 8th, 2013, 21:10
Join Date:
Feb 2011
Location:
London
Posts:
1,665
  • NomadicBoo is offline
#43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesyn427 View Post I don't know how many times moral lesson giver will think about that one: think well before you speak
please, we know all what we broke in our own moral code, do you like an injury to repoen? you are smart enough to resist the scam when the movie exposed is in front of you.... we've been in it, that is different, the guys are good...

please to all givers of moral lessons, let us scammed help each other and preventing more people to fall in it by describing our experience, without being polluted by your moralistic comments: we know that already, thank you!

The higher one is the higher the temptation.
I think very well before I speak, and what I say is to act as a warning to others, so I'll say it again - If it sounds to good to be true, it DEFINITELY is!

I've been propositioned by more scams in India than I care to mention. I have yet to fall for one and not because of any moral code (in fact at my best I can be rather immoral) but quite simply, because I'm not stupid enough to be taken for a ride for vast sums of money.

NB
#44 Feb 8th, 2013, 21:58
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,458
  • nycank is offline
#44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post That sounds awfully moralistic!

Sowing what you reap?
What did Victor Hugo and Charles Dickens have in common ?

google the classic "gold ring scam" +paris. - One of the scams from pre-internet era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesyn427 View Post .... we've been in it, that is different, the guys are good...

The most important in our testimonies is to warn others, so that many know and are armed against it.


The higher one is the higher the temptation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesyn427 View Post
then there is an unexpected question from the customs who are suspicious and wants proof of payments


Then back home money less the tourist notices how stupid he's been and how smart the guys were. I am one of these tourists and I tell anyone

jewellry;, high gain/ go away!

I thought I would not fall in such thing, I though that I had enough morality not to do that and money is not my motivation in life ...
And yet you participated in the movie People fall for scams if they think they can make a quick buck......Unless the scam is run by your banks

What did Victor Lustig and George Parker have in common ?
#45 Feb 9th, 2013, 07:48
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Land that shakes and bakes.
Posts:
15,777
  • edwardseco is offline
#45
Ooh, ooh, does it have anything to do with "Yellow Dog" Weir? A great autobiography to boot. Gotta go big time to Carlos Ponzi (inspiration for social insecurity?).

http://www.whitegum.com/introjs.htm?/hidden.htm
Last edited by edwardseco; Feb 9th, 2013 at 11:13.. Reason: typing is lousy as I drain blood
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Gem Scam Variant in Mumbai with Travelers' Checks and CST Tout Scam Feb 9th, 2013 13:23 4 5837 Scams and Annoyances in India
I have just lost £10 000 in gem scam Sep 29th, 2010 12:29 291 34281 Scams and Annoyances in India


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success