Where Was This Photo Taken? (2)

#3841 Mar 20th, 2011, 19:28
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
In the land of awesomeness
Posts:
32,316
  • aarosh is offline
#3841
@hot2 does it go to the MLA hostel, or the mess that you were talking a couple of days back.
#3842 Mar 20th, 2011, 20:02
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
Vermont
Posts:
14,426
  • hfot2 is offline
#3842
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarosh View Post @hot2 does it go to the MLA hostel, or the mess that you were talking a couple of days back.
Don't know about the hostel. The mess, which is Naval Mess, is in way another place (and gone).

I may have misled you about the Majestic Building, because Google Maps says the Majestic Guest House is there (is that perhaps the MLA hostel?)

Anyway, here's two more snaps of the building:
Attached Images
Up.jpg Down.jpg 
#3843 Mar 20th, 2011, 20:54
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
In the land of awesomeness
Posts:
32,316
  • aarosh is offline
#3843
On the first thumbnail it says "Majestic MLA Hostel"
#3844 Mar 20th, 2011, 21:21
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
Vermont
Posts:
14,426
  • hfot2 is offline
#3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarosh View Post On the first thumbnail it says "Majestic MLA Hostel"
Well, yeh, but we can't read it.

We know it as the Sahakari Bhandar building, with the bigbig grocery store and the restaurant next door.

http://www.mumbai77.com/Pictures/Gal...lbum=34&pos=18

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR FOREIGNERS;

The Sahakari Bhandar store is a popular place at the head of the Colaba Causeway in Tourist Central near the Regal Cinema, Mumbai. Many foreigners stop in for snacks, ramen noodles, bikkies, and chaat.

Please note, though, that despite the number of foreigners who shop here, both tourists and expats, the checkout staff are so discomfited by the sight of a foreign face that they almost invariably make mistakes in providing change. Curiously, the mistakes (usually Rs 10-20) are always in their favor
#3845 Mar 20th, 2011, 21:41
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
In the land of awesomeness
Posts:
32,316
  • aarosh is offline
#3845
@Hyderabadi is your photo from somewhere near the Hi-tech city, Hyderabad?
#3846 Mar 20th, 2011, 22:15
Join Date:
Feb 2005
Location:
=*USA*=
Posts:
3,472
  • Hyderabadi is offline
#3846
Quote:
Originally Posted by shymom View Post somewhere in kerala?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfot2 View Post I wondered that too, unless hyderabadi is being reallyreally sneaky and giving us something off the mainland altogether.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarosh View Post @Hyderabadi is your photo from somewhere near the Hi-tech city, Hyderabad?
Sorry, no.

It is off the beaten track but many a famous person/celebrity have visited.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain
#3847 Mar 20th, 2011, 22:36
It's all Greek to me, but Benglish will do
Join Date:
Dec 2005
Location:
over a 'wine-dark sea'
Posts:
16,346
  • theyyamdancer is offline
#3847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyderabadi View Post Sorry, no.

It is off the beaten track but many a famous person/celebrity have visited.
Wild guess coming up... Hyderabadi, is your pic the Dargah-e-Qutb in Bangalore?
#3848 Mar 20th, 2011, 23:08
Join Date:
Feb 2005
Location:
=*USA*=
Posts:
3,472
  • Hyderabadi is offline
#3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyyamdancer View Post Wild guess coming up... Hyderabadi, is your pic the Dargah-e-Qutb in Bangalore?
It is a Dargah but not the one you've guessed.
#3849 Mar 20th, 2011, 23:48
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
In the land of awesomeness
Posts:
32,316
  • aarosh is offline
#3849
Is it the Bande Nawaz Dargah in Gulbarga?
#3850 Mar 21st, 2011, 00:01
Join Date:
Apr 2009
Location:
India
Posts:
1,429
  • vko is offline
#3850
@Hyderabadi - #3831

Ameen Peer Dargah in Kadapa, AP?

(Well, it's my mom who guessed it. I'm quite hopeless at guessing religious places)

#3851 Mar 21st, 2011, 00:24
Join Date:
Feb 2011
Location:
USA
Posts:
3,253
  • shymom is offline
#3851
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfot2 View Post Well, yeh, but we can't read it.

We know it as the Sahakari Bhandar building, with the bigbig grocery store and the restaurant next door.

http://www.mumbai77.com/Pictures/Gal...lbum=34&pos=18

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR FOREIGNERS;

The Sahakari Bhandar store is a popular place at the head of the Colaba Causeway in Tourist Central near the Regal Cinema, Mumbai. Many foreigners stop in for snacks, ramen noodles, bikkies, and chaat.

Please note, though, that despite the number of foreigners who shop here, both tourists and expats, the checkout staff are so discomfited by the sight of a foreign face that they almost invariably make mistakes in providing change. Curiously, the mistakes (usually Rs 10-20) are always in their favor
I remember the Sahakari Bhandar! Dad was a member & we would shop there in the 70's! It was the equivalent of the warehouse stores you have in the US but without having to buy in bulk.

It was a fairly good restaurant(the one on the side), too.
mom
#3852 Mar 21st, 2011, 00:53
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
Vermont
Posts:
14,426
  • hfot2 is offline
#3852
Quote:
Originally Posted by vko View Post @Hyderabadi - #3831

Ameen Peer Dargah in Kadapa, AP?

(Well, it's my mom who guessed it. I'm quite hopeless at guessing religious places)...
Seems like congratulations are in order to your mom. Have you signed her up for her own IndiaMike account, or are you forming another team, sorta like ours?
#3853 Mar 21st, 2011, 01:11
Join Date:
Feb 2011
Location:
USA
Posts:
3,253
  • shymom is offline
#3853
More photos of the majestic building
Attached Images
majestic building.jpg majestic building2.jpg 
#3854 Mar 21st, 2011, 01:16
Join Date:
Feb 2011
Location:
USA
Posts:
3,253
  • shymom is offline
#3854
Quote:
Originally Posted by vko View Post Ameen Peer Dargah in Kadapa, AP?

(Well, it's my mom who guessed it. I'm quite hopeless at guessing religious places)
vko (/vko's mom) Good Job! This was a tough one!
Attached Images
darga.jpg 
#3855 Mar 21st, 2011, 02:06
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
Vermont
Posts:
14,426
  • hfot2 is offline
#3855
Quote:
Originally Posted by shymom View Post I remember the Sahakari Bhandar! Dad was a member & we would shop there in the 70's! It was the equivalent of the warehouse stores you have in the US but without having to buy in bulk.

It was a fairly good restaurant(the one on the side), too.
Thanks for the shots of the Majestic Building. We've been scouring our archives and are astounded to find we have none of our own.

I expect the place is some changed since the 70's (except, perhaps, for the runners on the front steps). In fact it's changed in the time we've known it.

Sakahari Bhandar is some sort of co-op, and the store sells lots of household goods and clothing in addition to the food we mentioned earlier. They've substantially reduced the area devoted to non-food items. There's a photo below of the much-improved fresh produce section as it appeared in 2010, also of the packaged dals and pulses.

The restaurant is still good. We lunched there more often on our last trip, since the closing of the Naval Mess near our hotel.

Midway between the two big rooms of the store, down a few steps, there's a cake-shop franchise, too. It's fairly popular, but we weren't much taken with their desserts. Their samosas and savory puffs were OK for lunch, though.
Attached Images
Sahakari Bhandar entrance.jpg Sakahari Bhandar produce.jpg Sakahari Bhandar bagged pulses.jpg Restaurant exterior.jpg Restaurant interior.jpg Monginis cake shop.jpg 

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
The Photos of the Month Congratulatory Thread Nov 29th, 2018 12:11 343 79222 India Mike Announcements
The ALL NEW Where was this photo taken? Dec 7th, 2010 18:19 24 13843 Off the Beaten Trail in India
Where was this photo taken? Nov 21st, 2005 13:09 1611 124252 Photography
Help me find a photo. Nov 30th, 2004 01:48 2 5607 Photography


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success