Tokina 11-16mm vs Tamron 10-24mm vs Sigma 10-20mm

#1 Oct 13th, 2017, 16:38
Join Date:
Nov 2014
Location:
Calcutta, India
Posts:
17
  • Debobrata Sinha is offline
#1
Hi,

I need to buy a wide angle lens for my Nikon D7200, but quite confused with which one I should buy. I have the following options,
  1. Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX II
  2. Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD
  3. Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC SLD

I will be mostly doing landscapes, and a bit of astro photography. Please suggest which one would be best for me.

P.S: Nikon has released a new wide angle lens for crop sensors (Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR). Anybody used it yet?
Fear is only temporary. Regret lasts forever.
#2 Oct 13th, 2017, 23:31
Join Date:
Jun 2012
Location:
New Delhi
Posts:
876
  • rajatchakraborty is offline
#2
I also have the same set of queries.

This tokina 11-16 seems to be costly...about 42k, may be a little less if i visit chandni chawk shop in delhi, or moti seal lane metro gully in kolkata.

And the nikkor 10-20 price is 23k as per nikon.co.in

How much does this 2.8 and 4.5-5.6 opening ranges will matter for an amateur photographer? When in cities, i love the late evening or night actions to capture.
#3 Oct 14th, 2017, 12:23
Join Date:
Nov 2014
Location:
Calcutta, India
Posts:
17
  • Debobrata Sinha is offline
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatchakraborty View Post I also have the same set of queries.

This tokina 11-16 seems to be costly...about 42k, may be a little less if i visit chandni chawk shop in delhi, or moti seal lane metro gully in kolkata.

And the nikkor 10-20 price is 23k as per nikon.co.in

How much does this 2.8 and 4.5-5.6 opening ranges will matter for an amateur photographer? When in cities, i love the late evening or night actions to capture.
Wide aperture will come in handy when you are shooting in low light. So, if you want to shoot around late evening or night, this should be a priority unless you're using a tripod.

The fixed and wide aperture is the main reason I'm interested in Tokina's lens. But a lot of people are saying it has massive CA issue, which is making me a bit skeptical. I will definitely check these out when I'll visit metro gully next month.
#4 Oct 14th, 2017, 13:17
Join Date:
Jul 2012
Location:
kolkata
Posts:
3,124
  • iamsomnath is online now
#4
Ultra wide angle lenses will have their issues. CA , flare , distortion and either you have to work around them or fail in trying. From the above query I understand that such lenses will be used for landscape on crop sensor bodies. So , Unless one does astro-photography , for plain landscape , 99% of the time the usage will be in the range of F8-F13. At that range of aperture it will be impossible to differentiate between the outcomes of the different lenses , all will look alike. At wide end a difference of 10 mm will be a great plus, so unless you are doing astro ( for which the Tok with it's 2.8 aperture is an automatic choice) , I suggest you to go for the cheapest ( and save some money for the trips/beers) , 10-XX zoom. Even the much-maligned , older Sigma variable aperture 10-20 ( not listed here , the cheap old one , available in metro gully) churns out spectacular photos , if the person behind knows his craft. CA can be very easily fixed in PP , so not an issue nowadays , well mostly.
#5 Oct 14th, 2017, 18:33
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
Interweb
Posts:
16,152
  • vaibhav_arora is offline
#5
I'd recommend you give a good solid consideration to the Nikon lens. I rate Nikon glass higher than a third party glass (same for canon). It is also nearly half the price of Tokina - it is at a low price for something newly launched. It's also very lightweight and the reviews are solid (check amazon).
#6 Oct 14th, 2017, 21:43
Join Date:
Jun 2012
Location:
New Delhi
Posts:
876
  • rajatchakraborty is offline
#6
Nikon.co.in portal quote is 23k, amazon india quote is 29k. I do not understand this online business.
Let me check with inter photo near rajendra place metro station.
(By the way, these guys deal with lensbaby also. They were ready to give some discounts if paid through cash.)

Update: Inter photo does not sell to individuals any more. They gave me one reseller's number. (Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR ~ 22k+Tax). They do not keep lensbaby nowadays
Golu photo (Chandni chawk new delhi)~ 17.5-18k.
Metro gully kolkata cost may be like Golu photo.
Last edited by rajatchakraborty; Oct 16th, 2017 at 12:57.. Reason: Added updated info.
#7 Oct 14th, 2017, 23:34
Join Date:
Jul 2012
Location:
kolkata
Posts:
3,124
  • iamsomnath is online now
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_arora View Post I rate Nikon glass higher than a third party glass (same for canon)
Sigma and Tammy have upped their games, take the art series. In fact I see that recently they are doing solid , specially after addressing the QC issues. If I started buying glass now , perhaps I would have avoided the OEMs. The third party offerings are sumptuous these days. BTW I'm seeing you around after a long time, is it you , or me?
Cheers
#8 Oct 15th, 2017, 12:06
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
Interweb
Posts:
16,152
  • vaibhav_arora is offline
#8
It's mostly me - dont see too much original content on the forum, so gets a bit boring. Also, agree re: QC as relates to the art series, but don't agree that in general Canikon glass is inferior to the third parties.

In general better idea to move to FX for UWA, but to each his own.
#9 Oct 15th, 2017, 13:24
Join Date:
Jul 2012
Location:
kolkata
Posts:
3,124
  • iamsomnath is online now
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_arora View Post but don't agree that in general Canikon glass is inferior to the third parties.
Me too, but they have obliterated the gap that was there , say about three years ago.

So , no fresh TRs from you ? No traveling these days ?
Cheers
#10 Oct 18th, 2017, 15:17
Join Date:
Nov 2014
Location:
Calcutta, India
Posts:
17
  • Debobrata Sinha is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsomnath View Post Ultra wide angle lenses will have their issues. CA , flare , distortion and either you have to work around them or fail in trying. From the above query I understand that such lenses will be used for landscape on crop sensor bodies. So , Unless one does astro-photography , for plain landscape , 99% of the time the usage will be in the range of F8-F13. At that range of aperture it will be impossible to differentiate between the outcomes of the different lenses , all will look alike. At wide end a difference of 10 mm will be a great plus, so unless you are doing astro ( for which the Tok with it's 2.8 aperture is an automatic choice) , I suggest you to go for the cheapest ( and save some money for the trips/beers) , 10-XX zoom. Even the much-maligned , older Sigma variable aperture 10-20 ( not listed here , the cheap old one , available in metro gully) churns out spectacular photos , if the person behind knows his craft. CA can be very easily fixed in PP , so not an issue nowadays , well mostly.

Hey, thanks for your inputs. I am interested in Tokina only because I want to try-out some astro stuff. Tamron's glass looks good too, but I guess the narrower aperture will matter in this case.
#11 Oct 18th, 2017, 15:19
Join Date:
Nov 2014
Location:
Calcutta, India
Posts:
17
  • Debobrata Sinha is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_arora View Post I'd recommend you give a good solid consideration to the Nikon lens. I rate Nikon glass higher than a third party glass (same for canon). It is also nearly half the price of Tokina - it is at a low price for something newly launched. It's also very lightweight and the reviews are solid (check amazon).
Yeah, the Nikon's glass is much cheaper considering the other ones, but do you think I will get better (or even same) result in case of astro photography comparing Tokina's f/2.8 aperture?
#12 Apr 18th, 2018, 15:26
Join Date:
Nov 2014
Location:
Calcutta, India
Posts:
17
  • Debobrata Sinha is offline
#12

Great Outcome!

So I finally bought the Tokina, and I'm quite satisfied with what I could capture with this lens. I had to do a bit of post processing for lens corrections like CA, distortions etc, but that's totally okay with me, because the final images look pretty good.

I actually took this lens to our trek last December and captured most of the landscapes with it. One of my friend has posted about the whole journey with some of my clicks. You can check the post here.

You can also check out my photos in 500px. Here's the link: https://500px.com/atdeb

Again, thanks for your suggestions iamsomnath and vaibhav_arora.
#13 Apr 18th, 2018, 15:46
Join Date:
Jul 2010
Location:
Pune
Posts:
336
  • aneek is offline
#13
Good to hear that

I am thinking of buying a tokina 11-20mm f/2.8.

Regards,
Aneek
Darjeeling, Kuari Pass Winter trek, Tawang-Dirang-Bomdila


Two roads diverged in a wood, and I I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Tokina lens in Delhi Nov 14th, 2011 02:12 0 1888 Electronics in India
Tokina 11-16 lens Jun 27th, 2011 20:59 46 20296 Photography
TAMRON 17-50mm f/2.8 for SONY alpha in delhi Mar 31st, 2011 18:47 0 1830 Electronics in India
Looking for Third Party SLR lens sellers (sigma or tamron) in New Delhi Jun 21st, 2010 23:01 7 6956 Photography


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success