CANON 1200d OR NIKON

#1 Sep 8th, 2014, 13:41
Join Date:
Sep 2014
Location:
Not set
Posts:
1
  • Puran Choudhary is offline
#1
Hello friend, i'm planning to buy DSLR either canon 1200 or Nikon 3200. My budget is 25k most probably. I'm staying in delhi, karol bagh, i searched alot and I found 3 names ALFA DIGITAL (PALIKA), GOLU JI N PRITAM (CHANDNI CHOWK) AND MAHATA (CP) so please suggest. I can also go for emi option i'll pay half in cash.

PLease do suggest ASAP.
#2 May 27th, 2016, 14:33
Join Date:
May 2014
Location:
In the original virtual world - 'The Mind' - a beautiful thing
Posts:
8,601
  • snotty is offline
#2
Guys help with the above..

for 1200D with double lens.

All reviews prefer the nikon3200/3300 as compared with 1200D.
For a first dslr would it really matter..

The cost factor also does matter. (25K for two lenses with 1200D seems a good deal)

Do help.
Sar Pass Trek , Rohtang, Munnar, Badrinath Kedarnath, Vaishnodevi, Goa, VOF, Kedarkantha, Kuari Pass, Brahmatal Trek
#3 May 27th, 2016, 14:58
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
Interweb
Posts:
16,234
  • vaibhav_arora is offline
#3
If you google or even search this forum for the CaNikon debate, there's much fist-fighting that has occurred. My take is the canon advantage shines when their L series glass comes in, which is not where you're buying (entry level). Canon definitely does video better so if you're buying this for video, then canon.

Re: dealer - Golu will give you honest advice and good discount. Dont bother with rest of CC dealers - some are crooks. Mahatta is good but expensive as is Dass.
#4 May 27th, 2016, 14:59
Join Date:
Sep 2012
Location:
India
Posts:
88
  • deepblue is offline
#4
If you have the inclination/need, Sony sensors inside those Nikons allow you to play longer with exposure afterwards. I find Canon controls/menus much more user friendly. 1200D twin lens kit was 22K a couple of months ago.
MEDIOCRITY IS WITHIN MY REACH
#5 May 27th, 2016, 15:16
Join Date:
May 2014
Location:
In the original virtual world - 'The Mind' - a beautiful thing
Posts:
8,601
  • snotty is offline
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_arora View Post If you google or even search this forum for the CaNikon debate, there's much fist-fighting that has occurred. My take is the canon advantage shines when their L series glass comes in, which is not where you're buying (entry level). Canon definitely does video better so if you're buying this for video, then canon.
Camera for photography, minimal videos..
I did some googling, checking with reviews, as mentioned nikon edges ahead and is similarly on a costlier side.. A nikon d3300 with twin lens should cost 10K (35K) extra. d3200 = 32K+ for twin lens. Now a dslr would be a long term buy, so would like to take a balanced call between the cost and the quality.

Also will a twin lens be recommended initially or start off with single lens and then pick up the next lens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue View Post If you have the inclination/need, Sony sensors inside those Nikons allow you to play longer with exposure afterwards. I find Canon controls/menus much more user friendly. 1200D twin lens kit was 22K a couple of months ago.
I think I had seen that and by the time I could make up my mind the price had increased.

This buy is something that I would love to make but my better half would scorn on..(Priority issues). So again something that isn't really helping the decision making..

Plan to carry it with me on the treks that I go to..
#6 May 27th, 2016, 15:30
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
Interweb
Posts:
16,234
  • vaibhav_arora is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by snotty View Post Plan to carry it with me on the treks that I go to..
The best hiking camera ever invented (says a B&H user) is .

Here's someone's video review using this cam -


p.s. photos are great anyways, look at the reviews.
#7 May 27th, 2016, 15:31
Join Date:
Jul 2012
Location:
kolkata
Posts:
3,134
  • iamsomnath is offline
#7
I am of the opinion that in most cases , one camera won't stop you from making an image which you are capable of making with another camera. Go to a place where you can handle the cameras. "Feel" is a very important issue. Buy the one that feels good. Be forewarned that DSLR is not a camera , rather a system. You will need much higher investment for lenses , supports , carrying systems etc. So first make sure you "need" one rather than you "want" one :-)
#8 May 27th, 2016, 15:40
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
Interweb
Posts:
16,234
  • vaibhav_arora is offline
#8
Yes! exactly this -
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsomnath View Post Be forewarned that DSLR is not a camera , rather a system. You will need much higher investment for lenses , supports , carrying systems etc.

Hence my suggestion to you, snotty, is if you're thinking of using this more on trekking (say 90% usage), then a good fixed lens camera will help much more. There are other bridge camera options but for the price you have in mind, the Sony is very good. Had i not intended to do a dozen things with my camera, I'd have bought it instead of my current DSLR.
#9 May 27th, 2016, 16:11
Join Date:
May 2014
Location:
In the original virtual world - 'The Mind' - a beautiful thing
Posts:
8,601
  • snotty is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_arora View Post The best hiking camera ever invented (says a B&H user) is http://www.amazon.in/Sony-Cybershot-.../dp/B00898JY8E.

Here's someone's video review using this cam -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLfxuBEVPKA

p.s. photos are great anyways, look at the reviews.
Did you get the free beer?

Excellent option VA.. Thanks. Will seriously think about it.. However I really do not know where all I would be using it.. As of now, I am use it only when I am out. That happens to be often trekking these days. I also do go out with family, take snaps in home. Just not doing too much of still photography, professional photography as yet (and probably in future too)..

Hadn't looked at this, will definitely go over my options again. My next trip being a couple of months away, will try and get something before that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsomnath View Post I am of the opinion that in most cases , one camera won't stop you from making an image which you are capable of making with another camera. Go to a place where you can handle the cameras. "Feel" is a very important issue. Buy the one that feels good. Be forewarned that DSLR is not a camera , rather a system. You will need much higher investment for lenses , supports , carrying systems etc. So first make sure you "need" one rather than you "want" one :-)
I usually do my shopping online these days.. What you seem to tell me is get a feel of it before picking up something. Noted.. Will visit a store and check out the one that VA mentions as well and other options available.

As for the need and want dilemma, I think this is more of a want than a need (a dslr, a decent camera is a need).. Again wisdom noted and will keep it in mind..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_arora View Post Yes! exactly this -


Hence my suggestion to you, snotty, is if you're thinking of using this more on trekking (say 90% usage), then a good fixed lens camera will help much more. There are other bridge camera options but for the price you have in mind, the Sony is very good. Had i not intended to do a dozen things with my camera, I'd have bought it instead of my current DSLR.
I may do more than a couple things with it VA, but probably it wouldn't be in near future.. As of now will look more at something simpler.

VA and Somnath..
#10 May 27th, 2016, 16:47
Join Date:
Sep 2012
Location:
India
Posts:
88
  • deepblue is offline
#10
Also consider body/sensor size, power and view-finder. Multi-day hikes in remote areas do not really offer much charging options. Point and shoots suck their tiny batteries dry very quickly. Some can be charged off a power-bank though. Please do not consider a camera without a optical/electronic view-finder on hikes.
#11 May 27th, 2016, 17:41
Join Date:
May 2014
Location:
In the original virtual world - 'The Mind' - a beautiful thing
Posts:
8,601
  • snotty is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue View Post Also consider body/sensor size, power and view-finder. Multi-day hikes in remote areas do not really offer much charging options. Point and shoots suck their tiny batteries dry very quickly. Some can be charged off a power-bank though. Please do not consider a camera without a optical/electronic view-finder on hikes.
Noted deepblue.. I have come to realize that world of cameras is filled with quicksand areas.. You keep sinking in and there seems to be no bottom to it.. Checked VA's camera option, gives 320 shots a day, but no external charging/ fast charging options. Also there are apparently three more upgrades, the last going upto 70K +

Satisfaction is what plays an important part as there will always be something better, but what you need is something that should be defined.. Getting stuck there..

Lets see how it works about.. Will keep note of the viewfinder requirement as well.
Thanks..
#12 May 27th, 2016, 18:24
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
Interweb
Posts:
16,234
  • vaibhav_arora is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snotty View Post no external charging/ fast charging options.
Thanks..
The battery is chargeable and can be taken out. Extra battery is 595/- anyways, I dont want to ''sell'' sony any more. Best of luck with your search.
#13 May 27th, 2016, 19:45
Join Date:
Jul 2012
Location:
kolkata
Posts:
3,134
  • iamsomnath is offline
#13
@snotty, you are very right. It is quite difficult to choose which one we need. It is doubly tough to know without burning your fingers a bit. Both VA and Deep blue have highlighted very important points but they seem to be contradicting each other, such contradiction is natural when one deals with such wide sets of variables. The smaller size is a great boon for trekking but that means lack of finder and inherent juice-thirst of the LCD. An additional battery or perhaps a few of them and you lose the advantage of weight that you factored in first. I suggest a small basic DSLR, with one 18-105 lens. The double kit doesn't add much in terms of landscapes. Add a cheap 50 mm and you are reasonably prepared. I suggest stick to Nikon or Canon. In spite of being great camera makers, Sony, Fuji, olympus still lag behind in terms of service in India and would fetch much lesser as and when you would want to sell your gear for upgradation or whatever.
Cheers
#14 May 27th, 2016, 20:40
Join Date:
May 2014
Location:
In the original virtual world - 'The Mind' - a beautiful thing
Posts:
8,601
  • snotty is offline
#14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_arora View Post The battery is chargeable and can be taken out. Extra battery is 595/- anyways, I dont want to ''sell'' sony any more. Best of luck with your search.
Some reviews for the RX100 said that there wasn't an external charger with the camera, so you had to charge in the camera itself and that would probably not allow another battery to be charged while the camera is in use.. And also that it takes longer to charge in camera as compared to out of camera.

You did a great job bringing the sony in the picture as I was going too one dimensional till that moment, now I am more confused!!

Also like I said the RX100 that the link speaks about is the very 1st model, they then got II which had a shoe for accessories, removed it in III which apparently is the better of the four versions and then got super slow motion and super fast snaps with a revolutionary CMOS version in IV which costs 70K+.
And then the reviews started talking about the Canon G7X which is also a very good option to the RX100 nowadays..

By the way one of the many advantages of RX100 over the G7 was that it had a electronic view finder that deep blue mentions.. All the reviews did rate the Rx100 as the camera to pick to move from a camera phone and get many things of a dslr with compact design.. Basically a travel camera. (like what you suggested)

At this rate it would be 2020 when I finally buy a camera!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsomnath View Post ..... I suggest a small basic DSLR, with one 18-105 lens. The double kit doesn't add much in terms of landscapes. Add a cheap 50 mm and you are reasonably prepared. I suggest stick to Nikon or Canon. In spite of being great camera makers, Sony, Fuji, olympus still lag behind in terms of service in India and would fetch much lesser as and when you would want to sell your gear for upgradation or whatever.
Cheers
Most of the cameras on sale have either a 18-55 lens or twin lens of 18-55 and 55-200.
If I go for an 18-105 lens like you mention, the price reaches the twin lens set itself..

My stuff don't last till upgradation.. They only reach replacement because they cannot be repaired any further below the original cost of the camera..
#15 May 27th, 2016, 20:53
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
Interweb
Posts:
16,234
  • vaibhav_arora is offline
#15
Well, once you start lugging around a DSLR - even the smallest one - on a serious hike (12-20 km per day over rugged terrain), you realize that the weight and bulk (both are important - check if it can fit in a jacket pocket or hang comfortably using a hand strap from your wrist) outweigh the advantages. If you dont care much about hiking usage of the camera, a DSLR cannot be beaten. Look at other options as well. I wouldnt recommend fuji for landscape photos, and not sure if olympus is as big now as it was about 6-8 years back in this segment, and CaNikon micro sensors are pretty bad.

Edit: Som, have to disagree that an additional battery will nullify the weight advantage - when hiking, weight distribution is quite important. The additional battery stays in your backpack - the camera is in a pocket / hand or a camera case. A DSLR will have to be lugged around the neck or waist - and that's much more tiring than a smaller cam + batt. Also, a single lens is enough for hiking usage.

To be fair, there are people who trek with dslr. Photo.net / nikonians and dpreview have several long threads about this matter - I just dont see why would you want to carry any unnecessary bulk when hiking and impede your own body's movements and kill the beauty of the experience. There're people who happily hike with iPhones, after all!
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Canon Vs Nikon Jun 22nd, 2012 14:51 20 4857 Photography
Canon mount for nikon lens Feb 9th, 2011 21:33 5 3053 Photography
Why Canon or Nikon? Dec 24th, 2010 18:16 20 3663 Photography
Best DSLR for beginners: Nikon D5000, Nikon 3100, Canon T2i, Canon T1i Dec 7th, 2010 13:04 18 16327 Electronics in India
Canon OR Nikon - help please... Feb 13th, 2006 06:25 102 10269 Photography


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success