350 dogs killed in Kochi to prepare for the 2012 ‘Tourist Season’

#1 Dec 3rd, 2011, 00:58
Join Date:
Dec 2006
Location:
Switzerland
Posts:
41
  • madhubala is offline
#1
Last month, 350 dogs were killed in Cochin at the beginning of the tourist season. A group of people possibly shopkeepers got together to engage a group of people to kill the dogs. It is not know immediately that the people who killed were from outside Cochin or catchers/ employees of the Cochin Municipal Corporation
Earlier, in Septtember, 12 dogs were brutally killed with electric rods, in Princess Street, the main shopping/touristic area of Kochi. There were killed in front of several people but no one on location wanted to intervene out of the fear of the assaulters - who mercilessly killed the dogs in plain view. All the dogs were ABC dogs & were vaccinated by an NGO operating in Kochi.
And this should be the 'God's Own Country'!!!!
#2 Dec 3rd, 2011, 01:28
Join Date:
Sep 2011
Location:
Meru
Posts:
562
  • Adiyogi is offline
#2
The horror.

Adiyogi
.
#3 Dec 3rd, 2011, 05:17
Join Date:
Aug 2010
Location:
United States
Posts:
4,434
  • DaisyL is offline
#3
That is so, so sad!
#4 Dec 3rd, 2011, 08:49
Join Date:
Sep 2005
Location:
Abode of Glooscap
Posts:
10,517
  • PeakXV is offline
#4
It is sad because the fact that these people can get so close to them, means that an element of trust has been previously established with humans. As a rule they coexist well with humans in India.

Many people/businesses semi-adopt them & feed them & I believe there is often a religious angle to these relationships. But it's inevitable that as the canine population periodically reaches at or near the top of it's cycle - conflicts will happen. What to do?

I can tell you one thing, these street dogs are a huge part of the Indian experience ..... and it's all mostly positive. They are almost always extremely passive & do everything they can to stay out of one's way.

The downside often happens at night, when in packs, & during the mating season these animals (like most other mammals under similar cirumstances) can become extremely unpredictable & perchance stroll by meetups are the last 'Indian experience' that one needs on their resume.
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. ~
T. S. Eliot

http://www.derekgrantdigital.com
#5 Dec 3rd, 2011, 10:26
Join Date:
Jan 2011
Location:
Delhi
Posts:
954
  • Matka is offline
#5
I've been bitten by dogs and monkeys before. What happens when their numbers become just too many and the municipal doesn't do anything? What is the local business owner supposed to do? Or the householder with children? Move away?
#6 Dec 3rd, 2011, 10:48
Join Date:
Sep 2008
Location:
42°21'N, 71°03'W
Posts:
2,595
  • RWeHavingFunYet is offline
#6
.

Vaccinated dogs or stray dogs or any dogs for that matter don't belong in the street. Even if NGO's have vaccinated, general people and businesses don't like free-moving stray-dogs which are unpredictable. It is scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matka View Post I've been bitten by dogs and monkeys before. What happens when their numbers become just too many and the municipal doesn't do anything? What is the local business owner supposed to do? Or the householder with children? Move away?
Good point.

India is a land of religious beliefs and superstitions. The municipal dog-catcher believes if he puts the dog to sleep he might go to hell. So, businesses of 'God's Own Country' are taking care of business.

Much more number of dogs are euthanized in western countries than in India. Only because you don't see them it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
.
#7 Dec 3rd, 2011, 11:17
Join Date:
Apr 2009
Location:
Almora
Posts:
6,834
  • jituyadav is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeHavingFunYet View Post .
Good point.
...So, we just keep on moving to their territory, then blame them for being a nuisance and cover up our irresponsible attitude.

How difficult is it to get them operated to control their population if it is required?

Killing the poor creature is the worst act, and cannot be justified.
If you find my posts confrontationist, please bear, I am an old frustrated guy who has nothing better to do than sit on rocking chair and curse the world whole day
#8 Dec 3rd, 2011, 13:00
Join Date:
Apr 2006
Location:
India
Posts:
1,654
  • birds is offline
#8
Madhubula, is there anyway you can you get any more information? You said people we looking, everybody has a phone with a camera these days, so has nobody taken photos? If so can you upload these or send them to me. Under Indian law what has happened is illegal. If you can get me some hard evidence I can easily make work of this.

For all those who believe that there is any justification in the killing, please inform yourself before you venting an opinion. Many scientific studies have proven that in areas where stray dogs are killed (or even removed)the number of rabies cases shoot up. So even if you give a rats-ass about dogs, from the human perspective killing them is a stupid thing to do.

Madhubula, I hope to hear from you.
The time will come when men will look upon the murder of animals as they look upon the murder of men.
#9 Dec 3rd, 2011, 16:23
Join Date:
Sep 2009
Location:
melbourne australia
Posts:
1,388
  • redninja is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by birds View Post Madhubula, is there anyway you can you get any more information? You said people we looking, everybody has a phone with a camera these days, so has nobody taken photos? If so can you upload these or send them to me. Under Indian law what has happened is illegal. If you can get me some hard evidence I can easily make work of this.

For all those who believe that there is any justification in the killing, please inform yourself before you venting an opinion. Many scientific studies have proven that in areas where stray dogs are killed (or even removed)the number of rabies cases shoot up. So even if you give a rats-ass about dogs, from the human perspective killing them is a stupid thing to do.

Madhubula, I hope to hear from you.


" Many scientific studies--- rabies cases shoots up"-- could you please explain, i am keen to inform myself, but not to sure where to start. So they kill or remove X amount of dogs (none of which have rabies) from a particular area, and the rabies cases shoots up, how?--maybe the dogs who moved in on that piece of dog free turf, bought the rabies with them!!-- This is not sounding very scientific-- Oh that would be "Many" scientific cases. Maybe the dog catchers or killers are scared of the dogs showing obvious signs of rabies, so only tackle the healthy dogs so as a result the rabid dogs are left-- Hence a rise in rabid dogs ?--now i am not sounding scientific.-- please explain thanks --Red
#10 Dec 3rd, 2011, 21:01
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,782
  • Nick-H is offline
#10
The dog population in my area is, I would say, far too high. It seems to have increased (as general local maintenance levels have decreased, and garbage has increased) over the past two or three years.

However, I dread hearing, one day, that somebody comes and kills them.

A recent case in this city, reported in the newspaper, of dogs being caught and strangled with wire. People have been charged with cruelty, but the newspapers never follow up these stories, so we will never know if they get punished.
#11 Dec 3rd, 2011, 23:47
Join Date:
Jan 2011
Location:
Delhi
Posts:
954
  • Matka is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jituyadav View Post ...So, we just keep on moving to their territory, then blame them for being a nuisance and cover up our irresponsible attitude.

How difficult is it to get them operated to control their population if it is required?

Killing the poor creature is the worst act, and cannot be justified.
I don't know how difficult dog sterilisation is, but the municipal doesn't seem to be doing it. They take dogs away, supposedly sterilise and return them. But the number of pups increases every year. Is it against the law to sterilise dogs privately? If it isn't, I'd pay a vet to do it in my neighbourhood!
#12 Dec 4th, 2011, 01:41
Join Date:
Apr 2006
Location:
India
Posts:
1,654
  • birds is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by redninja View Post " Many scientific studies--- rabies cases shoots up"-- could you please explain, i am keen to inform myself, but not to sure where to start. So they kill or remove X amount of dogs (none of which have rabies) from a particular area, and the rabies cases shoots up, how?--maybe the dogs who moved in on that piece of dog free turf, bought the rabies with them!!-- This is not sounding very scientific-- Oh that would be "Many" scientific cases. Maybe the dog catchers or killers are scared of the dogs showing obvious signs of rabies, so only tackle the healthy dogs so as a result the rabid dogs are left-- Hence a rise in rabid dogs ?--now i am not sounding scientific.-- please explain thanks --Red
Thanks for showing an interest and being prepared to learn more about this.

As said there are many scientific studies done on this subject all over the world including in India, some of which are:
- Clifton 2011
- Reece & Cawla 2006
- Beran 1991
- Blancou 1988

If you want to take this further, the World Health Organisation has done many other studies with similar conclusions in countries with high stray populations including Brazil, Mexico and Thailand. As did the International Society for Infectious Diseases.

For some more background see:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...67587703002782
http://searg.info/fichiers/articles/1995113119L.PDF
http://searg.info/fichiers/articles/1995164172L.PDF

Just in case you do not want to go through all this, let me give you a rough explanation. If you kill or remove dogs from one area, dogs from another area will move in. As these new ones are insecure with regards to territory and/or food sources, they are more likely to fight. More fights result in more bite wounds. So if you have one dog with rabies and lots of fights, within no time you will have a significant increase of rabies incidences.

Your statement between brackets (none of which have rabies) is an assumption which in reality you can not make because it is not possible to assess whether a dog has rabies unless you do a post-mortem. Normally (at least what is thought to be normal), an animal can be infected with rabies for about two weeks before symptoms appear, however there have been cases in which it took two months and theoretically it is even possible to take up to six years.

Furthermore, you may not recognise an animal with rabies even if it shows the symptoms. It is estimated that up to 60% of rabies cases are dumb rabies rather than furious rabies. In dumb rabies the animal is generally not vicious, is quiet, tries to hide and less likely to bite.

P.S.
By the way, being cynical of scientific evidence is really not helping in any way.
#13 Dec 4th, 2011, 03:10
Join Date:
Dec 2006
Location:
Switzerland
Posts:
41
  • madhubala is offline
#13
The dogs killed were all neutered, vaccinated and wearing collars with tag, they were all friendly with shopkeepers and tourists passing by so there was NO need to kill them, and in such a way!!!! Matka, do you find it right to kill a dog with an electric rod? And as Birds said, killing dogs wont reduce the number of strays...

Birds, I have forwarded all the proofs to The Voice of Stay Dogs, an NGO in Bangalore, which is trying to do something about it. The NGO which was taking care of that pack of dogs is called MADDOGSTRUST, run by a scottish lady. The corporation waited for her to be out of town to kill the dogs. Nobody did anything, few pictures which I will send u in the link below, that's all. I have few pictures of some of the dogs when they were still alive, as I was living in Kochi last year, I knew them all, and all were adorable fellows. Fortunately I adopted 1 of them, she would have been dead by now with the others, so glad I managed to save her. I am totally devasted for the other ones...

this is the website created by The Voice of Stray Dogs, for the campaign anti Kerala:

http://keralatourism.strays.in/


this is the petition site:

http://www.care2.com/c2c/share/detail/687011


tell me if you need more infos Birds, I can also put you in touch with the activists of Bangalore.
#14 Dec 4th, 2011, 05:05
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
cloud
Posts:
1,481
  • RPG is offline
#14
Quote:
Originally Posted by birds View Post For some more background see:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...67587703002782
http://searg.info/fichiers/articles/1995113119L.PDF
http://searg.info/fichiers/articles/1995164172L.PDF

Just in case you do not want to go through all this, let me give you a rough explanation. If you kill or remove dogs from one area, dogs from another area will move in. As these new ones are insecure with regards to territory and/or food sources, they are more likely to fight. More fights result in more bite wounds. So if you have one dog with rabies and lots of fights, within no time you will have a significant increase of rabies incidences.
...
By the way, being cynical of scientific evidence is really not helping in any way.
I did read the linked papers, and none of the papers says what you say that they say. They are random papers about rabies.
#15 Dec 4th, 2011, 10:13
Join Date:
Jan 2011
Location:
Delhi
Posts:
954
  • Matka is offline
#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhubala View Post The dogs killed were all neutered, vaccinated and wearing collars with tag, they were all friendly with shopkeepers and tourists passing by so there was NO need to kill them, and in such a way!!!! Matka, do you find it right to kill a dog with an electric rod? And as Birds said, killing dogs wont reduce the number of strays...
I never said that. In fact, I never said anything about supporting killing of dogs at all.
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Bringing dogs & cats to the UK will be easier from 2012 Oct 30th, 2012 20:17 30 18534 Pets and Pet Care in India
Australian woman tourist killed in Delhi Jul 27th, 2010 17:29 45 10008 Health and Well Being in India
Russian tourist killed in India Mar 3rd, 2008 16:03 21 6599 India Travel News and Commentary


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success