Lightweight suitcase

#1 May 7th, 2017, 18:02
Join Date:
Oct 2006
Location:
South Africa
Posts:
102
  • ros_brodie is offline
#1
I wasn't sure where best to post this question....

With the 15kg luggage limit on domestic flights, I'm looking for a smallish extremely lightweight expandable suitcase with wheels. Slightly bigger than cabin baggage. I figure every 100g less that the actual bag weighs is another bit of a home comfort I can take with me. Expandable so I can maybe buy some extra stuff at my last venue before flying home.

I've done a bit of shopping but the cases don't seem to have their weight listed and I can't really believe the number the shop assistant tells me.
#2 May 7th, 2017, 19:21
Join Date:
May 2017
Location:
india
Posts:
1
  • heheman is offline
#2
BTW Air India provides the baggage allowance of 25 kgs and all indian airlines can increase ur baggage by 5 kgs at just 500 INR (Under USD 10/-) try for these options !!
#3 May 7th, 2017, 19:36
Join Date:
Aug 2010
Location:
United States
Posts:
4,434
  • DaisyL is offline
#3
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016IO9GU6?psc=1


I don't know if this is what you might be looking for, but it seemed to have the requirements you mentioned. If you don't want to buy off Amazon, you could look through the luggage section for the description of different suitcases, including the weight, and then look locally in the shops for the same or very similar items.

Good luck in finding what you're looking for. Have a great time in India.
#4 May 7th, 2017, 19:58
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,815
  • Nick-H is offline
#4
Buy one of those hand held luggage scales thing. You will find it invaluable for packing anyway. Take it along when case buying.

Ultra light stuff is expensive, especially if you want it to be tough.

If you buy a case that has only a light fabric top, you can add a sheet of cardboard.

I've flown with china packed in polystyrene!
~
Life gets aadhar every day.
.
#5 May 7th, 2017, 20:06
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,815
  • Nick-H is offline
#5
For carrying just cloth, the lightest thing is one of those zip laundry bags, but you need to tie rope around it
#6 May 7th, 2017, 20:06
Join Date:
Oct 2006
Location:
South Africa
Posts:
102
  • ros_brodie is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by heheman View Post BTW Air India provides the baggage allowance of 25 kgs and all indian airlines can increase ur baggage by 5 kgs at just 500 INR (Under USD 10/-) try for these options !!
We tend to fly Indigo or Jet, and I'm taking maybe 11 flights over 7 weeks. So 500 INR quickly becomes 5000INR.
#7 May 7th, 2017, 20:16
Join Date:
Oct 2006
Location:
South Africa
Posts:
102
  • ros_brodie is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyL View Post https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016IO9GU6?psc=1

I don't know if this is what you might be looking for, but it seemed to have the requirements you mentioned. If you don't want to buy off Amazon, you could look through the luggage section for the description of different suitcases, including the weight, and then look locally in the shops for the same or very similar items.
I want to buy something in India, which is why I'm posting here. I'll happily buy off amazon.in, but the delivery fees for their "global store" (for items not actually available in India) are prohibitive. The item you mention above falls into that category.

I've been to a few stores here in India and noted down the details of some cases, but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find information online about the weight. And looking at hundreds of cases online to try and find the weight of each is possible, but very labour intensive - hence my question on here.

I guess a luggage scale is required.
#8 May 7th, 2017, 20:40
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,566
  • nycank is offline
#8
I do not know what your budget is like - But for carryon size (which is what I use) look at IT luggage or Rimowa Salsa: Ultralight weight and sturdy.
#9 May 7th, 2017, 21:11
Join Date:
Oct 2006
Location:
South Africa
Posts:
102
  • ros_brodie is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycank View Post I do not know what your budget is like - But for carryon size (which is what I use) look at IT luggage or Rimowa Salsa: Ultralight weight and sturdy.
Thanks. I've been looking at the IT luggage website and they don't have any weight information on their suitcases. So frustrating! And again, this brand is not available in India. Same for Rimowa Salsa.
#10 May 7th, 2017, 21:20
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
Interweb
Posts:
16,234
  • vaibhav_arora is offline
#10
India is not a good place to buy lightweight luggage - historically, we've always had someone else to pick up our bags for us - this is changing now, of course. Since you live in a westernized country, it's better to purchase there. I always see this difference when i visit the US - the luggage variety and prices are markedly better.
#11 May 7th, 2017, 21:33
Join Date:
Oct 2006
Location:
South Africa
Posts:
102
  • ros_brodie is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_arora View Post India is not a good place to buy lightweight luggage - historically, we've always had someone else to pick up our bags for us - this is changing now, of course. Since you live in a westernized country, it's better to purchase there. I always see this difference when i visit the US - the luggage variety and prices are markedly better.
I wish I lived in the US for the variety available at cheap prices! Alas, I do not live in a "westernized" country, but in South Africa, where the small size of our market means we have even less choice at higher prices than in India.
#12 May 7th, 2017, 21:34
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,566
  • nycank is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ros_brodie View Post Thanks. I've been looking at the IT luggage website and they don't have any weight information on their suitcases. So frustrating! And again, this brand is not available in India. Same for Rimowa Salsa.
Smart as you are, you indicate your location to be South Africa. How can one divine your location ? Did you check amazon.in ?

"IT luggage" site:amazon.in
#13 May 7th, 2017, 21:41
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
Interweb
Posts:
16,234
  • vaibhav_arora is offline
#13
Ok in case you're dead set on buying from India either - buy a cheap duffel towards the end of your other shopping. Most cities have local markets and a good thick cloth duffel will be less than a thousand. If you need something reusable - try vip skylite series or Samsonite lightweight gear both are available - vip is actually lighter and good.
#14 May 7th, 2017, 21:43
Join Date:
Oct 2006
Location:
South Africa
Posts:
102
  • ros_brodie is offline
#14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycank View Post Smart as you are, you indicate your location to be South Africa. How can one divine your location ? Did you check amazon.in ?

"IT luggage" site:amazon.in
Apologies, I didn't make it clear in my original post that I'm already in India. My existing suitcase (perfect for my needs) is falling apart and I thought I could get something to suit my needs more easily (and cheaply) here in India than back home in South Africa.

All IT Luggage items available on amazon.in are from the "global store", ie, you pay prohibitively high delivery and import fees (and it probably wouldn't arrive before I leave in two weeks' time).
#15 May 7th, 2017, 22:05
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,566
  • nycank is offline
#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ros_brodie View Post Apologies, I didn't make it clear in my original post that I'm already in India.
My apologies. You are correct - It is labor intensive. No other way than to go to a large mart and pick-n-feel method. In New Delhi, go to ChandniChowk or Karolbaug; Mumbai, I'd look around in Bandra opp National College, or go to Inorbit in Malad. Check out the stores in Ambi Mall in Gurgaon.

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success