Konkan Coast vs Goan beaches

#1 Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:59
Join Date:
Mar 2008
Location:
Canada
Posts:
214
  • hellogoodbye is offline
#1
Hello all,

I was originally planning on going to Goa (Arambol/Mandrem) for a few days of rest/readjustment before heading north for another 3 weeks, but I've started thinking about staying a little closer to Mumbai(perhaps Murud - other suggestions welcomed) for transport purposes and wanting something a little different. A few questions:

-Any thoughts on the beaches of Murud vs those of Arambol?
-I will be there at the very beginning of May (hot & monsoon, yes) but my main concern is whether tourist accomodation will be widely available? suggestions?
-Any suggestions/advice for a single female traveller to this part? (besides the usual safety precautions).

Thanks so much
#2 Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:20
Join Date:
Feb 2008
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
4,094
  • snonymous is offline
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellogoodbye View Post Hello all,

I was originally planning on going to Goa (Arambol/Mandrem) for a few days of rest/readjustment before heading north for another 3 weeks, but I've started thinking about staying a little closer to Mumbai(perhaps Murud - other suggestions welcomed) for transport purposes and wanting something a little different. A few questions:

-Any thoughts on the beaches of Murud vs those of Arambol?
-I will be there at the very beginning of May (hot & monsoon, yes) but my main concern is whether tourist accomodation will be widely available? suggestions?
-Any suggestions/advice for a single female traveller to this part? (besides the usual safety precautions).

Thanks so much
Goa is perhaps more geared for the foreign single female tourist than say Murud, Ganpatipule, Bordi, Malvan - Tarkarli or the other beaches along the Maharashtra coast, so if you are planning to relax on the beach in a swimsuit, you will definitely feel more comfortable in Goa. May is very warm [33-36C average]and humid but mornings and evenings are always pleasant and you can always rest in the shade in the afternoons. Accommodation can be booked now, you will surely get something suitable, especially in Goa - check the forums on this site for recommendations.

As far as safety is concerned, in view of the recent unfortunate incidents, avoid moving around alone late at night, do not encourage strangers, guard your drink so that it doesnt get spiked, and there should be no problems. To avoid unwanted attention, dress modestly. Goa and Maharashtra are generally safe destinations.
#3 Apr 4th, 2008, 06:10
Join Date:
Mar 2008
Location:
Canada
Posts:
214
  • hellogoodbye is offline
#3
thanks for your help snonymous.
I've looked into accomodation in Goa but there's very little info on budget accomodation for Murud and surrounding areas. Does anyone have any suggestions? Will it be ok if I just arrive and look for accomodation then or must i book ahead?
#4 Apr 4th, 2008, 11:22
Join Date:
Feb 2008
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
4,094
  • snonymous is offline
#4

Budget accommodation in the Murud area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellogoodbye View Post thanks for your help snonymous.
I've looked into accomodation in Goa but there's very little info on budget accomodation for Murud and surrounding areas. Does anyone have any suggestions? Will it be ok if I just arrive and look for accomodation then or must i book ahead?
In May it is school vacation time in India so I strongly recommend you make advance bookings.

Another member recently posted details of a modestly priced homestay in the Murud area but I dont remember in which thread so please do a search on this site or if anyone else here can recollect, please advise. I think the person who runs the place is Khopkar - pl. search? Not sure. Also check MTDC [state govt run] accommodation at maharashtratourism.gov.in

Dont forget your hat and sunblock, it is very hot in May although mornings and evenings are very pleasant with the sea breeze and you can rest up in the shade in the afternoons. Try redbus.in for bus bookings as an alternative to trains which get full up in May. Enjoy your vacation.
#5 Apr 4th, 2008, 12:39
Join Date:
Feb 2008
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
4,094
  • snonymous is offline
#5
Found it

From SpiceTrekker
Try this no 91-2144-278525 of Deepak Khopkar. He has a small farm in which he has rooms with attached bath/WC - or should I say en-suite as the europeans do :-)

Good place, no AC Summers will see power cuts between 4-8 hrs a day.


From Freesoul
I have been Kashid beach an stayed in this pvt bunglow of this person who offers the rooms in this bunglow for nominal of RS.600 a day, the bunglow is just 5 minutes away from Kashid beach. 6 to 5 people can easily stay in those rooms but you need to book it in advance a day before you go there. The rooms are basic with bed and bathrooms in the room you can take extra bedsheets if you want but for lunch and dinner you have to look outside however u can order lunch from the local people how provide local food there.
You can contact Mr. Vijay Bhave at these numbers (95-2141)232130,
(95-22)25404347 and (95-2141)232075.
#6 Apr 4th, 2008, 13:35
Join Date:
Jan 2008
Location:
india
Posts:
7,790
  • brishti is offline
#6
great info snonymous - thanks.
sometimes [?] one is too lazy to go-a-threading

there's a humongous weekend coming up - will pm you - if i may?


:brishti
#7 Apr 4th, 2008, 13:57
Join Date:
Feb 2008
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
4,094
  • snonymous is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brishti View Post great info snonymous - thanks.
sometimes [?] one is too lazy to go-a-threading

there's a humongous weekend coming up - will pm you - if i may?


:brishti
Hello Brishti
The info is not mine, the credit goes to Freeserve and Spicetrekker, the memory of the recent posts is mine ! Welcome to pm, Im sure - "pm" means what????
#8 Apr 7th, 2008, 01:48
Join Date:
Mar 2008
Location:
Canada
Posts:
214
  • hellogoodbye is offline
#8
snonymous, you have been most helpful. thanks!

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
beaches of konkan Jan 20th, 2012 19:47 47 24530 Off the Beaten Trail in India
Konkan Coast To Pune....heavily budgeted Nov 5th, 2007 07:42 0 3022 Pune
New Train Links East Coast with West Coast down South Jan 5th, 2007 00:12 0 2635 Indian Railways
The best time to visit Goan beaches Nov 29th, 2005 12:50 6 4324 Goa
Hotel Mumbai / Konkan-coast Sep 3rd, 2004 00:58 0 2121 Lodging and Hotels in India


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success