PG/Flatshare

#1 Jun 16th, 2010, 05:00
Join Date:
Jul 2005
Location:
Germany
Posts:
57
  • cassiopeia is offline
#1
Hey guys,
I know there are quite a lot of threats about accomodation in Pune, but Im wondering how to find quickly an accomodation in Pune.
Ill stay there for about 3-4month. My working place will be close to Koregoan Park area (Bund garden). Im planning to stay in a guesthouse for some days and search for accomodation from there .
Is it realistic to find something in a short period of some days? And where do I find a choice of PG/flatshare accomodation - newspaper, internet (helpfulls links are required). Limit will be not more than 10 000INR. What can I expect for that? Food included (PG)? Privat bathroom?
Im really unsure, because all the citys in India differ in rents (in the last city ive stayed for 10 000INR youll get a nice private flat).
And - anyone suggestions for decent budget hotels/guesthouses in Koregoan park area.
Thanks so much for your help!!
#2 Jun 16th, 2010, 11:56
Join Date:
Apr 2008
Location:
western india
Posts:
2,476
  • new_traveller is offline
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiopeia View Post Hey guys,
I know there are quite a lot of threats about accomodation in Pune, but Im wondering how to find quickly an accomodation in Pune.
Ill stay there for about 3-4month. My working place will be close to Koregoan Park area (Bund garden). Im planning to stay in a guesthouse for some days and search for accomodation from there .
Is it realistic to find something in a short period of some days? And where do I find a choice of PG/flatshare accomodation - newspaper, internet (helpfulls links are required). Limit will be not more than 10 000INR. What can I expect for that? Food included (PG)? Privat bathroom?
Im really unsure, because all the citys in India differ in rents (in the last city ive stayed for 10 000INR youll get a nice private flat).
And - anyone suggestions for decent budget hotels/guesthouses in Koregoan park area.
Thanks so much for your help!!
You should be able to find a decent accomodation in 10K with a seperate bathroom. Maybe a shared 2-3 BHK amongst 2-3 mates.
The only issue I see is in the Quickie deal. The Quickie might have been tough for an indian national but in your case it could be even more tough.

Suggest 2 things - Go to magicbricks or simmilar portals where you can contact property owners before you actually arive in the city and then try to hit on a good deal.

About the location - I am sure Koregao Park should have something for you, which will be quick and nearby from work. The only issue might be the Budget. Though in my Personal opinion 10K should be more than enough to cover 1 person's accomodation and a decent 2 time meal. (Koregaon Park however has inflated prices)

If you have a company vehical to pick/drop you or you dont mind hopping in a rickshaw for a 10 min fare + commute then you can venture into Viman Nagar, Yerawada, Camp, Bund garden.


If you working in some MNC then the compnay might have a portal where roomies requireed etc are posted. You can check that out.
#3 Jun 16th, 2010, 16:41
Join Date:
Jul 2005
Location:
Germany
Posts:
57
  • cassiopeia is offline
#3
Thanks so much for your reply "New Traveller". Really not sure what to do.
Company gave me a list with PG accomodations but I really dont want to fix something until I haven`t seen the room. And I have the impression that some of them are much more expensive than what you get on the "free market" for the same price. Maybe the "foreigner thing" or just because of the Koregoan Park area. Flatsharing would also be an option, but I got the impression there are not so many girls who are sharing a flat than boys (really weird, in some ads boys explicitly searched for a female flatmate. Either India has really changed a lot towards its attitude in this fact or Pune is really much more openminded than the other places I have stayed before or the hormons of these guys are just rotating and they think their really funny. Its not normal in India that boys and girls share a flat, is it? )
"Magicbricks" is a good portal? Where else can I have a look? Local newspaper? Some place where people place their ads (university, college)?
And where can I buy a secondhand cycle - "herojet" or something like this would be fine.
And "Aundh" sounds also like an interessting area, but how long would it take to get to Koregoan Park from Aundh and are there regular busses or something?
So many questions
#4 Jun 16th, 2010, 17:47
Join Date:
Apr 2008
Location:
western india
Posts:
2,476
  • new_traveller is offline
#4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiopeia View Post Thanks so much for your reply "New Traveller". Really not sure what to do.
Company gave me a list with PG accomodations but I really dont want to fix something until I haven`t seen the room. And I have the impression that some of them are much more expensive than what you get on the "free market" for the same price. Maybe the "foreigner thing" or just because of the Koregoan Park area. Flatsharing would also be an option, but I got the impression there are not so many girls who are sharing a flat than boys (really weird, in some ads boys explicitly searched for a female flatmate. Either India has really changed a lot towards its attitude in this fact or Pune is really much more openminded than the other places I have stayed before or the hormons of these guys are just rotating and they think their really funny. Its not normal in India that boys and girls share a flat, is it? )
"Magicbricks" is a good portal? Where else can I have a look? Local newspaper? Some place where people place their ads (university, college)?
And where can I buy a secondhand cycle - "herojet" or something like this would be fine.
And "Aundh" sounds also like an interessting area, but how long would it take to get to Koregoan Park from Aundh and are there regular busses or something?
So many questions
Are you a girl? Sorry if it was a blunt Question but I did not get if you a boy or a girl

Aundh is far keeping in mind the traffic and the rains. Do not rely on the public transport. Does your company have cabs or buses which can be utilized?
You can atleast start giving tentative affirmations to what your office suggesting. You can deny when you come if its not worth what is asked for.

And whatever is your gender - I do not agree on the PG having guys and girls staying together. I might sound prudish but then I havent heard much about them. I would suggest avoid this as common sense tells me so

you might think of buying a new cycle if you too keen on cycling. not sure if you plan to do the cycling in city or on weekends outside city limits.
#5 Jun 19th, 2010, 15:46
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Posts:
1,125
  • patilsushant001 is offline
#5
I think, it would be good idea to look out for accommodation in nearby areas in the radius of 4-5 Kms from your work location.

If you can find some place in Koregaon Park itself that would be well and good. However, as new_traveller suggested they will be on higher side of expenses if you do not get anyone to share the flat.

Areas like Vimannagar, Mundhava, Magarpatta city are in the distance of 4-5 Kms and can offer you good alternatives of accommodation.

About bicycle, you may give a try once you are here. You would find many shops in and around the city.
-Sushant.
Life is a journey and journey should never end because of ups and downs!!
Ladakh-Bike RoadTrip Konkan-Bike RoadTrip Ajanta-Ellora-Lonar
Melghat
#6 Jun 21st, 2010, 19:50
Join Date:
Jul 2005
Location:
Germany
Posts:
57
  • cassiopeia is offline
#6
To both of you: Thank you very much. Ill give the PG suggestions the company gave me a try and search in the nearby areas of Koregoan Park when Im in Pune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_traveller View Post Are you a girl? Sorry if it was a blunt Question but I did not get if you a boy or a girl

And whatever is your gender - I do not agree on the PG having guys and girls staying together. I might sound prudish but then I havent heard much about them. I would suggest avoid this as common sense tells me so
Im a girl
Dont worry I stayed in India for quite a long time and Im actually jused to indian morality. Im absolutely not looking for a male flatshare partner (except hes from europe.) !!!!
Because in the town I stayed it would have been totally abnormal I was really confused by reading ads for flatshares in which boys explicitly looked for a female flatsharepartner or for a boy or a girl and wondered why they do. Like this one for example: http://in.easyroommate.com/pune-flat...52614271092817 (this guy is really kind of creepy. Hes looking for a girl who shares a ROOM with him Okay in this one it might be obvious what hes looking for, but "hello" not a single reasonably respectable girl/women would answer such a ad? Is he kind of birdbrained or why is he doing like this And there are many of ads like this and others where the person searches for either a girl or a boy and it sounds kind of "normal".
India is changeing fast and towns like Pune have the reputation to be very western because of the young folks staying there, compared to other citys. Ive never stayed there, so I dont know if its really like this. Indian friends of mine who studied there told me.
Flatshares between boys in girls are totally normal (and theres nothing "dirty" about it) here in Europe - why not possible in a "cool" city in India. And when I think especially of my goan friends, whos life in India is not so much different from mine in Germany, I could imagine that this is possible.
Im just curious.
#7 Jun 21st, 2010, 21:42
Join Date:
Apr 2008
Location:
western india
Posts:
2,476
  • new_traveller is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiopeia View Post To both of you: Thank you very much. Ill give the PG suggestions the company gave me a try and search in the nearby areas of Koregoan Park when Im in Pune.

Im a girl
Dont worry I stayed in India for quite a long time and Im actually jused to indian morality. Im absolutely not looking for a male flatshare partner (except hes from europe.) !!!!
Because in the town I stayed it would have been totally abnormal I was really confused by reading ads for flatshares in which boys explicitly looked for a female flatsharepartner or for a boy or a girl and wondered why they do. Like this one for example: http://in.easyroommate.com/pune-flat...52614271092817 (this guy is really kind of creepy. Hes looking for a girl who shares a ROOM with him Okay in this one it might be obvious what hes looking for, but "hello" not a single reasonably respectable girl/women would answer such a ad? Is he kind of birdbrained or why is he doing like this And there are many of ads like this and others where the person searches for either a girl or a boy and it sounds kind of "normal".
India is changeing fast and towns like Pune have the reputation to be very western because of the young folks staying there, compared to other citys. Ive never stayed there, so I dont know if its really like this. Indian friends of mine who studied there told me.
Flatshares between boys in girls are totally normal (and theres nothing "dirty" about it) here in Europe - why not possible in a "cool" city in India. And when I think especially of my goan friends, whos life in India is not so much different from mine in Germany, I could imagine that this is possible.
Im just curious.
I think this is possible and "normal" i.e nothing "dirty" about it in a lot of cases in india too.
The only difference I can think of is such arrangements are made between co workers/friends/collegemates/relatives etc. Such roomies searches are not posted on some ads like a "perv"

About you saying you might do it with a guy from Europe and not an indian- I think its a bit biased to think a European guy cannot have those "dirty" thoughts/intentions.

The only difference I see is one society comfortable posting such requirements in advts and the other managing it within smaller circles of aquaintance's.

The idea of finding what your company has to offer makes sense as they would - FOR SURE be reccomending you female roomies.
You can actually discuss the localities without being spcific to the building or apartment numbers, to understand if its a good option.
#8 Jun 21st, 2010, 23:47
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Posts:
1,125
  • patilsushant001 is offline
#8
Still, I would say the change is really negligible.. Youngsters coming from a middle class conservative family would not think of sharing there rooms with opposite gender ..
#9 Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:16
Join Date:
Jul 2005
Location:
Germany
Posts:
57
  • cassiopeia is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by patilsushant001 View Post Still, I would say the change is really negligible.. Youngsters coming from a middle class conservative family would not think of sharing there rooms with opposite gender ..
Although in Germany we wouldnt share a room. Flat with seperate rooms no problem.
Quote:
About you saying you might do it with a guy from Europe and not an indian- I think its a bit biased to think a European guy cannot have those "dirty" thoughts/intentions
Im sorry but I have to disagree, I dont think its biased. Its just based on the cultural diffrences I have experienced. Dont get me wrong, this has nothing to do with "I think things are better here or better there" there are just some things which are different.
Because Im brought up in Europe its the culture im familiar with. Of course there are fools and weired people in Europe as well as in India, but if someone searches for a flatmate (in most cases the people who search a new flatmate dont care if its a boy or a girl) and when I meet the person and he seems to be a kind person then I would never expect bad intensions or hidden agenda. Because its just a matter of sharing a flat, to share the rent to live peacefully without trouble (except trouble like who is washing the dishes or who is cleaning the floor on which day).
If it was an indian I couldnt be certain that there are no bad intensions, because its not my culture and because of this in many cases I cant decide what is normal and what is abnormal. As I said, some friends from goan nontraditional middleclass families are living a live not very different from mine. But how can I decide if the person is from a traditional hindufamily, a nontraditional muslim family or a fundamentalistic catholic family if the person, as so many in towns like Pune, studies, goes out in pubs and clubs, wears jeans and tries to behave western?!
After beeing molested several times while wearing traditional salwahr and giving not the slightest cause for offending me in a disrespectfull way, I got the impression that "dirty" thoughts are more common in the brains of indian men than in the ones of european men.
Sorry, for beeing so blunt. I really didnt want to hurt someones feelings. I really love your country. And I met fantastic people there.
Thank you again both of you for giving me advices for the search for accomodation and discussing on this topic.
#10 Jul 11th, 2010, 13:00
Join Date:
Mar 2010
Location:
The Hague, Netherlands
Posts:
6
  • dutchinpune is offline
#10
Hi all,

cassiopeia, I am wondering if you have found a flat and if you could suggest something to me in searching a flat for myself. I have just arrived in Pune to work here for 4 to 5 months for a German company. I am from the Netherlands myself. The company put me in a guesthouse, which I think is way overpiced (about 750 euro a month!), so I am looking for an apartment, but I don't know where to start. I'm looking in the Koregaon Park/Kalyani Nagar area, since I heard this is where most expats stay.

Furthermore I don't know the city or anywhere to have dinner/go out/sightsee/or whatever, can anyone suggest anything? For what I've seen and read there must be loads of nice things to do!

Last but not least, tonight is the big WC Final, starring, of course, the Oranje team from Holland! I know it is late at night, however where should I go to see this match?

Thanks for your help!!
#11 Jul 11th, 2010, 20:48
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Posts:
1,125
  • patilsushant001 is offline
#11
#12 Jul 13th, 2010, 02:53
Join Date:
Jul 2005
Location:
Germany
Posts:
57
  • cassiopeia is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinpune View Post Hi all,

cassiopeia, I am wondering if you have found a flat and if you could suggest something to me in searching a flat for myself. I have just arrived in Pune to work here for 4 to 5 months for a German company. I am from the Netherlands myself. The company put me in a guesthouse, which I think is way overpiced (about 750 euro a month!), so I am looking for an apartment, but I don't know where to start. I'm looking in the Koregaon Park/Kalyani Nagar area, since I heard this is where most expats stay.

Furthermore I don't know the city or anywhere to have dinner/go out/sightsee/or whatever, can anyone suggest anything? For what I've seen and read there must be loads of nice things to do!

Last but not least, tonight is the big WC Final, starring, of course, the Oranje team from Holland! I know it is late at night, however where should I go to see this match?

Thanks for your help!!
Sorry, Im still not in Pune but will definetly be there end of september.
750 Euro is really a lump of money for one month. Wish you luck to find something nice. (Maybe on www.magicbricks.com)
Ive been to Pune only one time, but there are a lot of nice weekend getaways around Pune (like Lonavala or Mahabaleshwar).
Dont want to rub salt in your wounds, dont know if you saw the football match yesterday evening, but I think it would have been no loss if you missed it.
This was really a shitty WC final! Not the kind of football playing one likes to watch.
#13 Jul 19th, 2010, 11:06
Join Date:
Mar 2010
Location:
The Hague, Netherlands
Posts:
6
  • dutchinpune is offline
#13
yeah you're right, I hate to admit it, but the Spaniards deservedly won.. I found a nice appartment through megabricks (via geminiproperties). Keep in mind that furnished appartments are a little bit more expensive.
Give me a call or send a message when you arrive here, we could have a drink somewhere!
bye, Paul
#14 Jul 20th, 2010, 01:17
Join Date:
Jan 2009
Location:
chennai
Posts:
35
  • Keatster is offline
#14
Hey Paul,

I too am new to Pune, here on a 3-4 month contract with an English company.

I am staying in Kalyani Nagar, and work quite strange hours (9am-5pm gmt) but would be up for dinner/coffee/drinks if your around.

Let me know

Kev
#15 Jul 23rd, 2010, 15:43
Join Date:
Mar 2010
Location:
The Hague, Netherlands
Posts:
6
  • dutchinpune is offline
#15
so from 12.30 to 20.30 if I'm correct? I don't know if you've got plans for this evening? (friday?) but we could meet somewhere for a few drinks/dinner tonight. Sunday is also a possibility, let me know! you could call me at 91 5831 8115. See you later, Paul

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Flatshare in Delhi - any expats looking for a new flatmate? Aug 14th, 2009 09:37 11 6797 Moving to Delhi
Seeking flatshare from June-September Jun 8th, 2008 19:33 2 1432 Moving to Delhi


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success