South Delhi Accommodation

#1 Jun 24th, 2013, 13:27
Join Date:
Jun 2013
Location:
Dhahran
Posts:
6
  • azraeil is offline
#1
I have been reading this forum ever since an opportunity came by to move to India. My family and I have accepted an offer to work in India (Me, the spouse and 1 young boy) and one of the main concern is his schooling and the commute. I will be working in Gurgaon (CyberCity) but we would like to send him to the AES (application is being processed). The company invited us to India to have a look athe place (as it was our first ever time to India) and we had a great guide who brought us to see possible accomodation. We saw units in Gurgaon as well as South Delhi.

One of my future colleague mentioned that if my son were to go to AES, it actually make sense to stay in Gurgaon and he will be commuting against the traffic so his commute won't be too long but the commute for me if I were to stay in South Delhi can be horrendous.

We looked at several units in Shanti Niketan, West End and Vasant Vihar. The units in Gurgaon is okay but my wife really does not like the high rises.

Now for the question (sorry for the long post). The company will pay the schooling 100%, and I am entitled to about 3-4 lakh (did I get this right? basically it's 300,000 to 400,000 rupees) per month for rental assistance.

1. Are the places I mentioned before good areas? Safety wise and ammenities wise?
2. Is it better for us to stay in Gurgaon?

One thing I have to say though, the food in Delhi was fantastic.
#2 Jun 25th, 2013, 04:04
Join Date:
Sep 2008
Location:
Utah
Posts:
2,011
  • curtdfw is offline
#2
Welcome to IM. 3-4 lakh will get you a standalone place in Gurgaon or VV (more for your money in Gurgaon), but the downsides are 1) probably no backup for electricity & 2) poorer security, two very important features.

A Gurgaon - AES commute is pretty nasty even against traffic, and I'm assuming your deal includes a driver.

More general info on post #5 here.
“She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” – Mark Twain
#3 Jun 25th, 2013, 11:39
Join Date:
Jun 2013
Location:
Dhahran
Posts:
6
  • azraeil is offline
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdfw View Post Welcome to IM. 3-4 lakh will get you a standalone place in Gurgaon or VV (more for your money in Gurgaon), but the downsides are 1) probably no backup for electricity & 2) poorer security, two very important features.

A Gurgaon - AES commute is pretty nasty even against traffic, and I'm assuming your deal includes a driver.

More general info on post #5 here.
Hi curtdfw,

Thanks for the advise, which place has the downside? VV or Gurgaon? I believe the company I plan to work for will not allow me to stay in a stand-alone in Gurgoan.

Yes, I should be getting 2 drivers. One for me and one for the family. If the traffic from Gurgaon (even against traffic) is nasty, then the choice is clear, it will have to be South Delhi. I'll bear the traffic nightmare and not the son.

I'll check-out the sticky.

Thanks again!
#4 Jun 25th, 2013, 12:02
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,562
  • nycank is offline
#4
Unless you are able to find a single family house in South Delhi (rare) you are likely to get either a 1st floor with front lawn; or 2nd floor with access to terrace. As curt mentioned, security and power backup will be two of your three major variables in deciding where to move.

In Vasant Vihar, 3-400K you will get a decent space, but then you would have to fork out for a 24-hour security guard (nominally useful other than saluting your and your spouse as you go in and out) You'd have to also have a part time gardner, and extra help to wash and wax the floors. There is the issue of having a generator as most indian bungalow/houses are not centrally airconditioned.

In Gurgaon, you could also get a decent apartment (you can choose lower floors) with 24 two layer security with automatic power backup. Or a house with same issues of security and power-backup as Vasant Vihar.

Gurgaon is a Mall culture, nothing more nothing less Vasant Vihar has become a zoo. Too crowded and too dusty.

Commute: If you live in VV, you'd have to probably drop your son/daughter off to school (if it is AES) and you could get stuck in the traffic going to Gurgaon between 0745-0845 crunch. I think the AES bus** comes early to pick kids up from Gurgaon so traffic mess might be avoided.

If you do play.both Gurgoan and Vasant Vihar have easy access to golf course, Shopping in both the places will be expensive, but nearly everything readily available, if not it is a phone call away.

From my worldview - Gurgoan is Jersey City of India, and Vasant Vihar the Upper West Side of New Delhi

And Yes, you can drink freely and openly in New Delhi/Gurgaon You can nominally get brewpubs with their own microbrews in Gurgaon, It is in fact opposite of KSA, more liquor stores in Gurgaon than drugstores.

[** I have not seen the bus, in the times I have been a visitor to Gurgaon, or Vasant Vihar, I could be wrong]

Best of Luck moving into NCR.
#5 Jun 25th, 2013, 12:11
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
Interweb
Posts:
16,229
  • vaibhav_arora is offline
#5
Shanti Niketan is very nice.
#6 Jun 25th, 2013, 13:06
Join Date:
Jun 2013
Location:
Dhahran
Posts:
6
  • azraeil is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycank View Post Unless you are able to find a single family house in South Delhi (rare) you are likely to get either a 1st floor with front lawn; or 2nd floor with access to terrace. As curt mentioned, security and power backup will be two of your three major variables in deciding where to move.

In Vasant Vihar, 3-400K you will get a decent space, but then you would have to fork out for a 24-hour security guard (nominally useful other than saluting your and your spouse as you go in and out) You'd have to also have a part time gardner, and extra help to wash and wax the floors. There is the issue of having a generator as most indian bungalow/houses are not centrally airconditioned.

In Gurgaon, you could also get a decent apartment (you can choose lower floors) with 24 two layer security with automatic power backup. Or a house with same issues of security and power-backup as Vasant Vihar.

Gurgaon is a Mall culture, nothing more nothing less Vasant Vihar has become a zoo. Too crowded and too dusty.

Commute: If you live in VV, you'd have to probably drop your son/daughter off to school (if it is AES) and you could get stuck in the traffic going to Gurgaon between 0745-0845 crunch. I think the AES bus** comes early to pick kids up from Gurgaon so traffic mess might be avoided.

If you do play.both Gurgoan and Vasant Vihar have easy access to golf course, Shopping in both the places will be expensive, but nearly everything readily available, if not it is a phone call away.

From my worldview - Gurgoan is Jersey City of India, and Vasant Vihar the Upper West Side of New Delhi

And Yes, you can drink freely and openly in New Delhi/Gurgaon You can nominally get brewpubs with their own microbrews in Gurgaon, It is in fact opposite of KSA, more liquor stores in Gurgaon than drugstores.

[** I have not seen the bus, in the times I have been a visitor to Gurgaon, or Vasant Vihar, I could be wrong]

Best of Luck moving into NCR.
Hi nycank,

Thanks for the info. The guide showed us 4 units in South Delhi and all were 1st floor apartments with 4 Bedrooms and 4 en-suite bathroom. Apparently these 3500-4500 square feet units are within my entitlement. I also confirmed with my possible company that they will pay for the 24h security. All the units showed to me supposedly have 100% water and power backup.

VV is now a zoo? Now that doesn't sound god but I doubt my wife will mind if we were to choose between Gurgaon and VV.

Ohh now that you mentioned Golf Courses, I don't play but I plan to and I was shown the course/club in Gurgaon. Very nice and very Posh. What is the equivalent clubs in Delhi?

As for the traffic, If I were to leave at 7:30, how would the commute be? (I was told that traffic is very predictable in Delhi .... meaning that at 7:45 onwards, the traffic will be horrendous etc and if you leave outside that particular window, it makes a alot of difference)

@vaibhav_arora .... yes the Shanti Niketan unit we saw was very nice indeed and the area is quite okay.
#7 Jun 26th, 2013, 11:19
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,562
  • nycank is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by azraeil View Post VV is now a zoo? Now that doesn't sound god but I doubt my wife will mind if we were to choose between Gurgaon and VV.

Ohh now that you mentioned Golf Courses, I don't play but I plan to and I was shown the course/club in Gurgaon. Very nice and very Posh. What is the equivalent clubs in Delhi?

As for the traffic, If I were to leave at 7:30, how would the commute be? (I was told that traffic is very predictable in Delhi .... meaning that at 7:45 onwards, the traffic will be horrendous etc and if you leave outside that particular window, it makes a alot of difference)
Compared to yesteryears, VV is very crowded. Year on year, you see changes; but nothing compared to the boomtown of Gurgaon. The Delhi golf course I was thinking about, if unfortunately does not except outsiders You could ask your company if they can swing a membership (if you plan to be assigned to NCR for more than a couple of years)

The bottleneck(s) between Vasant Vihar (A block, which I am familiar with) and Gurgoan typically are near the airport exit/entry, and the Toll-booths on the highway.

You can ask the daily commuters, for I am not one, my sample data is restricted to the fair weather season Feb-March
#8 Aug 22nd, 2014, 21:25
Join Date:
Aug 2014
Location:
South Delhi or Gurgaon-undecided
Posts:
3
  • karaadele is offline
#8
Hi Azraeil,

I was wondering in the end what you decided? We are heading to Delhi next week to do a pre-visit also to determine if we want to move to Delhi/Gurgaon for a 3 year post for my husband's company. We would be moving with 2 small children (baby, 2-1/2 year old) and are undecided where to move to. We will also want our son in an international school (preferably the american embassy school I believe) but I've also seen that there are options in Gurgaon for international schools too..which would prevent my husband having a long commute time. We would prefer living in South Delhi we believe as we also aren't fans of compound/high rise living...but we also see the advantages of living in Gurgaon with the commute being said to be horrendous?? Could you please advise, now that I imagine you are settled there? We also are on a budget of a round 3lacs/month and we would have a driver/car supplied to us. If you chose South Delthi, where and did you manage to find a place that was modern..close to a park, have a yard for the little ones to play outside, and enough expats around with things to do?

Thanks a lot for your help or anyone else's!

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
South Goa accommodation help Oct 14th, 2012 02:28 8 1544 Goa
South Delhi Accommodation Jun 8th, 2012 00:34 5 1451 Delhi
PG accommodation in south Kolkata Apr 1st, 2012 22:29 0 1116 Kolkata (Calcutta)
Help for long term (2yrs) accommodation needed in South Delhi Mar 28th, 2010 02:02 20 4145 Moving to Delhi
Urgent: Hotel/Guest House in South Delhi/South-West Delhi ? Oct 22nd, 2007 17:44 0 2680 Delhi


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success