New Member in Chennai..

#1 Sep 23rd, 2011, 01:03
Join Date:
Sep 2011
Location:
India
Posts:
1
  • Sweetpoison is offline
#1
Hi All,

I am moving to Chennai due to work in few days. I read almost every topic under Chennai thread of this great forum

I have been looking for good areas in between two locations as I need to travel at both locations frequently for work.

Two Locations are - Amabattur & Guindy, Hence looking for residential areas between both.. Found - Anna Nagar, Ashok Nagar, Vadapalani, Nandambakam, Kodambakkam & Mogappair.

Please share if you know any other good areas which make it easy to travel for both locations. Besant Nagar & Poes garden are out of my budget.

Looking for 2 BHK Flat with good surroundings (Gym/Pool) in 9,000 to 13,000 Rs per month. Do you think I will get one ?

I have completed quite a few research on this city before I land.

- A/Cs are must (I am currently in coolest city of South India) so it seems work place, car & home everywhere you need A/C, Hope I can survive in bathroom without A/C
- Have checked around 10 sites of real estate & made huge list of flat owner's numbers & Real estate too. I will try to share number of agents if I find anyone good.
- Heard that people in TN are more inclined towards Tamil (very less English & Hindi), Trying to learn Tamil, Vanakkam..

Here are few questions..
  1. How is traffic between Guindy & Amabattur (Via Ashok nagar, Vadapalani, Koyambedu, Anna Nagar) in day time ?
  2. Which broadband is good in Chennai with nice download plans ? Found only Airtel & BSNL. Is Airtel available in all areas of Chennai ?
  3. Which newspaper has more classifieds on flat rentals. Is that Hindu Saturday edition still or Times Of India ?
  4. Which mobile network is good with good GPRS / 3G plans & excellent coverage ?
  5. Which is cheapest & good city taxi in Chennai ? Meru Cabs are good & accept credit card in car itself. Anything similar to that in Chennai ?
  6. Is there anyone who like to rent their bike (even Honda activa will do) mostly on Sat & Sun ? If you have friends or know someone who do, please let me know.

Please share name of hotel, place, apartments where one can stay for 15 days/1 month for cheaper rate. (Monthly 5000 Rs Or less)

I am an IT professional who likes technology, cars, English HD movies, travel, photography. I would like to meet & know people of this forum staying in Chennai [Specially Nick-H, King of Chennai forum ].
#2 Sep 23rd, 2011, 01:49
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,789
  • Nick-H is offline
#2
Throne resigned! But cheers anyway

Random thoughts...

Are there any cool cities in Southern India (Unless you're up in the hills)? .

Would hate to travel between Guindy and Ambattur regularly. Out of rush times might not be too bad.

Yes, AC is important, although it is still a luxury item, so many people live with fans only. Our weather has been acting strange: we have had both 39C and torrential rain in the last couple of weeks.

ADSL (via landline) broadband: BSNL is probably just about everywhere. Airtel is in all central areas and spreading. Airtel's service used to be way, way, ahead of BSNL. Probably is still ahead, but dropping back. Plans? Best you compare tariffs of both companies on their websites.

Property: Hindu on a Saturday, but also Free-Ads, don't remember publication day; Google probably does.

Cabs: we have Fastrack. In fact we have Everything-Track, as other companies spin off or start up and don't have any imagination in name choosing. FastTrack used to be very good, now I think they are only interested in their big-company contracts. Still, at least they are metered, or per-hour package, so you know where you are, unlike our autos.

Many questions left for others to answer...
#3 Sep 23rd, 2011, 16:10
Join Date:
Apr 2009
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
506
  • Yuri_S is offline
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpoison View Post Anna Nagar, Ashok Nagar, Vadapalani, Nandambakam, Kodambakkam & Mogappair
...
Looking for 2 BHK Flat with good surroundings (Gym/Pool) in 9,000 to 13,000 Rs per month. Do you think I will get one ?
Most likely you can expect ~15K. But leave out Gym/Pool - Chennai is not like Bangalor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post we have had both 39C and torrential rain in the last couple of weeks
I think it was just a typo - for September, today is the hottest day so far - 36.4C.
#4 Sep 27th, 2011, 23:22
Join Date:
Jul 2011
Location:
Texas
Posts:
6
  • mitmash is offline
#4
I too recently moved to Chennai for work reasons and to be honest it has been a very painful experience.

A/Cs are a must. You may survive the next few months without it, but not the summer. I moved to Chennai after living in 2 deserts in different parts of the world and I don't see much difference in the weather

Brokers are not trust worthy. Please take help from any of your Chennai based friends / relatives. Brokers can and will cheat you and you might end up in a place where there is no proper water supply etc.

You may not find good 2BHK apartments with pool / gym in the price range and the areas that you have mentioned. Either increase your budget or try moving South, if possible

Tamil is a must here. Even I am trying to learn and I suck at it.

As to your questions.
1. Traffic is pretty bad in most parts of Chennai during the morning and evening hours. The route you have mentioned should take you about 90 mins during rush hour
2. Airtel is a little better than BSNL. Its easier to get an Airtel connection. However, it isn't available in all areas and the availability depends on the your exact location too.
3.Try the Sulekha portal or Hindu
4. Airtel is ok. The coverage is good, both for talk and 3G. Sometimes the 3G slows down but generally it is good. The customer service is pathetic and there will be hassles getting a connection, especially for address proof and verification.
5. I generally use FastTrack and they are pretty ok. The fare is reasonable but they don't accept cards in cabs.

I doubt if you will find a hotel that charges 5000 pm. Usually the tariffs are 5000 per week in a less than average hotel.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpoison View Post Hi All,

I am moving to Chennai due to work in few days. I read almost every topic under Chennai thread of this great forum

I have been looking for good areas in between two locations as I need to travel at both locations frequently for work.

Two Locations are - Amabattur & Guindy, Hence looking for residential areas between both.. Found - Anna Nagar, Ashok Nagar, Vadapalani, Nandambakam, Kodambakkam & Mogappair.

Please share if you know any other good areas which make it easy to travel for both locations. Besant Nagar & Poes garden are out of my budget.

Looking for 2 BHK Flat with good surroundings (Gym/Pool) in 9,000 to 13,000 Rs per month. Do you think I will get one ?

I have completed quite a few research on this city before I land.

- A/Cs are must (I am currently in coolest city of South India) so it seems work place, car & home everywhere you need A/C, Hope I can survive in bathroom without A/C
- Have checked around 10 sites of real estate & made huge list of flat owner's numbers & Real estate too. I will try to share number of agents if I find anyone good.
- Heard that people in TN are more inclined towards Tamil (very less English & Hindi), Trying to learn Tamil, Vanakkam..

Here are few questions..
  1. How is traffic between Guindy & Amabattur (Via Ashok nagar, Vadapalani, Koyambedu, Anna Nagar) in day time ?
  2. Which broadband is good in Chennai with nice download plans ? Found only Airtel & BSNL. Is Airtel available in all areas of Chennai ?
  3. Which newspaper has more classifieds on flat rentals. Is that Hindu Saturday edition still or Times Of India ?
  4. Which mobile network is good with good GPRS / 3G plans & excellent coverage ?
  5. Which is cheapest & good city taxi in Chennai ? Meru Cabs are good & accept credit card in car itself. Anything similar to that in Chennai ?
  6. Is there anyone who like to rent their bike (even Honda activa will do) mostly on Sat & Sun ? If you have friends or know someone who do, please let me know.

Please share name of hotel, place, apartments where one can stay for 15 days/1 month for cheaper rate. (Monthly 5000 Rs Or less)

I am an IT professional who likes technology, cars, English HD movies, travel, photography. I would like to meet & know people of this forum staying in Chennai [Specially Nick-H, King of Chennai forum ].
#5 Sep 28th, 2011, 02:09
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,789
  • Nick-H is offline
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_S View Post I think it was just a typo - for September, today is the hottest day so far - 36.4C.
I think so too . I think I saw 37 in the newspaper, which is high for the time of year. Also it felt bad because of the preceding cool spell. Well, relatively cool spell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmash View Post I too recently moved to Chennai for work reasons and to be honest it has been a very painful experience.
Sorry to hear that. I hope we IMers can help to make things better --- although there is not much we can do about the weather

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Travel Chennai-Pondicherry-Kannakumari-Rameshswaram-Madurai-Chennai-Tirupati-Chennai May 26th, 2018 16:13 12 9821 Chennai (Madras)
Chennai-Coimbatore- Palakad- Alleppy- kottayam- kollam- punalur-Sengottai-Chennai Aug 15th, 2009 16:55 1 16251 Tamil Nadu


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success