Ashok Nagar

#1 Aug 1st, 2008, 02:57
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
142
  • Ambler is offline
#1
Hello! We're due to arrive in Chennai in October and plan on staying for up to two years. I'll be working out of one of the Directorate for Collegiate Education's colleges, probably near to the Directorate offices (still don't know which college, unfortunately). A suggestion was made that we might look for housing in Ashok Nagar. I had hoped to end up in Alwarpet/Mylapore from what I'd read on this site, but that may be too long a commute if I'm reading my Eicher map correctly. ANYhow, any insight on Ashok Nagar? We won't have a car and would like, if possible, to be in a neighborhood where we can walk to basic ammenities and a few restaurants. Does this sound like Ashok Nagar?

Thanks very much. Oh, and is this something I could view on wikimaps? I need to look into this...
#2 Aug 1st, 2008, 22:25
Join Date:
Jul 2006
Location:
Minnesota, USA
Posts:
747
Send a message via MSN to ISN
  • ISN is offline
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post Hello! We're due to arrive in Chennai in October and plan on staying for up to two years. I'll be working out of one of the Directorate for Collegiate Education's colleges, probably near to the Directorate offices (still don't know which college, unfortunately). A suggestion was made that we might look for housing in Ashok Nagar. I had hoped to end up in Alwarpet/Mylapore from what I'd read on this site, but that may be too long a commute if I'm reading my Eicher map correctly. ANYhow, any insight on Ashok Nagar? We won't have a car and would like, if possible, to be in a neighborhood where we can walk to basic ammenities and a few restaurants. Does this sound like Ashok Nagar?

Thanks very much. Oh, and is this something I could view on wikimaps? I need to look into this...
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...num=1&ct=title

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashok_Nagar,_Chennai

Ashok Nagar, is a good place to stay, it has lots of shopping and restaurants located in walkable distance. T.Nagar (a popular shopping location in Chennai) is very close to Ashok Nagar. Donít finalize any accommodation until you look at the place.
#3 Aug 1st, 2008, 23:00
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,993
  • Nick-H is offline
#3
Try this wikimapia link too.
~
Life gets aadhar every day.
.
#4 Aug 1st, 2008, 23:44
Join Date:
Feb 2007
Location:
India
Posts:
2,388
  • pmvelu is offline
#4
We infact stayed in AshokNagar for around 4 years & I thought of sharing what I know !...

Ashoknagar is a big area and each and every street is called as "Avenue" and we stayed in 18th Avenue for those 4 years.

AshokNagar is more closer to Vadapalani rather than T. Nagar /Saidapet / Guindy[Yes these places are also nearby only BTW .. I mean not so far ...] and depending on whichever "Avenue" you are staying, you will be @ "Walkable" distance to bus stop & you have several cinema theatres , 2 Saravana Bhavans [ Famous chain of Veg Restaurants] & there are several super-Markets & Domino's etc etc & you have a Library too & decent hospitals are also in the near vicinity...

No Need to Worry at all & It could be very well considered as city centre and for sure the area is decent enough!!

Not Sure and If you are going to work in "Saidapet" where there is one Directorate of college Educations [ Near Tod Hunter Nagar] , Ashok Nagar will be around 7 to 8kms hardly !!

If you need more info, Please post !!
Last edited by pmvelu; Aug 2nd, 2008 at 09:11..
#5 Aug 3rd, 2008, 19:19
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
142
  • Ambler is offline
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmvelu View Post We infact stayed in AshokNagar for around 4 years & I thought of sharing what I know !...

Ashoknagar is a big area and each and every street is called as "Avenue" and we stayed in 18th Avenue for those 4 years.

AshokNagar is more closer to Vadapalani rather than T. Nagar /Saidapet / Guindy[Yes these places are also nearby only BTW .. I mean not so far ...] and depending on whichever "Avenue" you are staying, you will be @ "Walkable" distance to bus stop & you have several cinema theatres , 2 Saravana Bhavans [ Famous chain of Veg Restaurants] & there are several super-Markets & Domino's etc etc & you have a Library too & decent hospitals are also in the near vicinity...

No Need to Worry at all & It could be very well considered as city centre and for sure the area is decent enough!!

Not Sure and If you are going to work in "Saidapet" where there is one Directorate of college Educations [ Near Tod Hunter Nagar] , Ashok Nagar will be around 7 to 8kms hardly !!

If you need more info, Please post !!
Thanks so much for this information! It is very helpful.
#6 Sep 7th, 2008, 10:17
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
142
  • Ambler is offline
#6

Saidapet to Alwarpet/Mylapore?

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I believe I'll be working in Saidapet. From my Chennai map it looks like Alwarpet/Mylapore is about equidistant from Saidapet as Ashok Nagar (an area suggested as a possible place to live by some local Chennaites at the US Consulate). How is travel from either of these areas to Saidapet? From what I've been reading I think we'd like to be based in Alwarpet/Mylapore if possible, but if the commute is going to be nighmarish from there it won't be worth it...at this point we're not planning on getting a car so I'll be using autos to get to and from.

Thanks.
#7 Sep 7th, 2008, 11:29
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
46
  • rajumds is offline
#7
Ashok nagar is a far better option. The road connecting Ashok Nagar & Saidapet is much less congested and Ashok Nagar is nearer to Saidapet. The place is also closer to Central bus terminus and T Nagar and is a upper middle class area with all amenities.

Mylapore / Alwarpet is more posh area but commuting to Saidapet will be more time consuming. Both the places have public transport connectivity to Saidapet.
#8 Sep 7th, 2008, 14:27
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,993
  • Nick-H is offline
#8
Ashok Nagar may be nearer, and it may well be possible to avoid main roads altogether, which could make for a pleasant commute, but Alwarpet is not far away.

But they have been messing with new one-way systems there, and I'm not up-to date on how this has affected traffic in busy times.
#9 Sep 8th, 2008, 21:49
Join Date:
Sep 2008
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
3
  • rhari is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post As mentioned earlier in this thread, I believe I'll be working in Saidapet. From my Chennai map it looks like Alwarpet/Mylapore is about equidistant from Saidapet as Ashok Nagar (an area suggested as a possible place to live by some local Chennaites at the US Consulate). How is travel from either of these areas to Saidapet? From what I've been reading I think we'd like to be based in Alwarpet/Mylapore if possible, but if the commute is going to be nighmarish from there it won't be worth it...at this point we're not planning on getting a car so I'll be using autos to get to and from.

Thanks.
Ashok Nagar is a good place. Alwarpet and Mylapore is more conjested and constlier than Ashok Nagar. If you want a Plush locality then you can go for Alwarpet. As said by Nick, you can avoid main roads, which are taffic heavy. Please make sure how much distance is your office from your place and how much you have to pay for an auto before you start using the Auto systems. You can enquire with your neighbours or let us know where your office is located we will let you know how much might have to pay approximately as the Autos here does not run on meter but on Auto drivers instinctive mouth meter scales ....

Happy travelling and welcome to Chennai.


Regards.
Hari.
#10 Sep 9th, 2008, 16:28
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
142
  • Ambler is offline
#10

Thanks!

Thanks very much for all the information. I'm hoping to find out where my workspace will be very soon (I'm assuming it will be in Saidapet, near the Directorate of Collegiate Education, the entity with which I'll be working).
#11 Sep 9th, 2008, 17:46
Join Date:
Sep 2008
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
3
  • rhari is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post Thanks very much for all the information. I'm hoping to find out where my workspace will be very soon (I'm assuming it will be in Saidapet, near the Directorate of Collegiate Education, the entity with which I'll be working).
Hello Ambler,

Check also if you can find an appartment in C.I.T Nagar. This is an area very near to Saidapet and also decent location. Almost next to it.

Cheers :-)

Regards.
Hari.
#12 Sep 9th, 2008, 18:05
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
142
  • Ambler is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari View Post Hello Ambler,

Check also if you can find an appartment in C.I.T Nagar. This is an area very near to Saidapet and also decent location. Almost next to it.

Cheers :-)

Regards.
Hari.
Thanks, Hari! Good to know.
#13 Sep 9th, 2008, 20:36
Join Date:
Jul 2007
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
370
  • mirjamd is offline
#13
I would recommend getting a place as close to your work as possible. Saidapet itself wouldn't be a bad option. It depends how much you want to be close to citylife, even though Saidapet is not too far, it is not right in the city.

And you might want to reconsider the auto option. They are a good way to get around occasionally, but they can get quite expensive if you have to travel longer distances. From Saidapet to Alwarpet for example, you will easily pay Rs. 80 or 90 (and being white doesn't help in getting the price down ), if not more. And at night, auto's are not a great thing to use, they can be unsafe.

But then, it might still be cheaper than buying and maintaining a car...
#14 Sep 10th, 2008, 08:56
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
142
  • Ambler is offline
#14
[QUOTE=mirjamd;561181]I would recommend getting a place as close to your work as possible. Saidapet itself wouldn't be a bad option. It depends how much you want to be close to citylife, even though Saidapet is not too far, it is not right in the city.

We'd ideally like to be close to citylife [I]and[I]my work, which may not be possible...living in Ashok Nagar, would getting to Alwarpet/Mylapore be difficult? I don't know how much time we want to spend in expat-type places, but we'd like to have the option.

I think if we live in Ashok Nagar or Alwarpet there is a bus I can take to Saidapet. I really would like to avoid buying a car. 80 or 90 rupees to Alwarpet once or twice a week would certainly be within our budget if we end up in Ashok Nagar.
#15 Sep 10th, 2008, 17:46
Join Date:
Jul 2007
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
370
  • mirjamd is offline
#15
I can imagine that if you only have to go once or twice a week, relying on auto's will be a good idea. If you want to be close to citylife, then you're right that it would be better to stay in the city. Ashok Nagar then is not a bad option, as it is in between Saidapet and the city.

Are you sure yet that your work will be in Saidapet?

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Aurangabad : is Hotel Ashok closed down ? Nov 11th, 2007 11:34 0 1431 Maharashtra
Hotel Ashok Kolkata Airport Feb 7th, 2007 12:52 2 2138 Kolkata (Calcutta)
Delhi Hotel - Ashok Country Resort Dec 31st, 2006 22:02 1 1593 Delhi
ashok country resort near delhi airport? Dec 6th, 2006 22:37 0 1941 Delhi


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success