Salary Info Update

#1 Jun 22nd, 2014, 01:28
Join Date:
Jun 2014
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
8
  • bryn is offline
#1
Hello,

I have recently been offered a position in Bangalore (I'm a US citizen) and am receiving mixed messages regarding my salary, and would like updated info from you all. I have a wife and child, who will be starting international school. I've been offered 325000 INR, which I understand comes to a little more than 200000 INR after 30% taxes. I thought this sounds like enough to live quite comfortably to me, even with our child in the very expensive international schools, but I am now hearing that I should ask for even more (which I'm not sure I can get since I already pushed for this offer).

Anyways, we are middle class by US standards. Not expecting a Porsche here, but want to make sure, essentially, that we aren't worrying about buying decent appliances and such, and can still travel once a year back home.

Lots of info I am reading is a few years old, so I wanted to ask for new info. What do you all think?
#2 Jun 22nd, 2014, 09:22
Join Date:
Jun 2014
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
8
  • bryn is offline
#2
Woops. I just realized I was 10% off in my calculations. I would get 290000 INR gross, and about 187000 net, if I am calculating it right. Anyways, from older posts here that sounds like a good expat salary, but I want to make sure my family can be happy here, especially with the very expensive schools - most are around 400000-600000 per year!
#3 Jun 22nd, 2014, 09:49
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,316
  • nycank is offline
#3
Thumb rule for some mid-to-upper-level management expats, who move from US Office to any other location is 1-1/2 times US salary plus Cost-of-Living-Adjustment.
#4 Jun 22nd, 2014, 09:58
Join Date:
Apr 2014
Location:
Kerala - India
Posts:
51
Send a message via Yahoo to jjosemadam Send a message via Skype™ to jjosemadam
  • jjosemadam is offline
#4
Dear Bryn,
Thanks a lot for sharing this issue here.

The Salary Offered to you is fair enough to have a Luxury life for a middle class man and his family.

As you explained the School expences-INR 400'000.00-600'000 per year right?
and You are getting paid Monthly! consider you spend 50'000 per month for the schools and still the living cost in india can be below 50'000 if you are not so spendthrift or shopaholic.
'
And One more advice, if you have two or more kids, consider revising the international schools that you choose, because almost 100'000 will be going that way!

If you can think of public schools in India, like that of CBSC/NCERT, You can get the cost to nearly 20% of that of an international schools, and I feel that also as comfortable as the Kids will sooner get acclimatised with this scenario.

Thank you
Jobin
#5 Jun 22nd, 2014, 10:45
Join Date:
Jun 2014
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
8
  • bryn is offline
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycank View Post Thumb rule for some mid-to-upper-level management expats, who move from US Office to any other location is 1-1/2 times US salary plus Cost-of-Living-Adjustment.
I saw this quote before in various contexts. I guess I don't quite understand it. Does this mean that if someone was making $20000 in the US that they should ask for $30000 minus cost of living, which for India is generally 1/3 - 1/4 of US? That would be about $10000 for India. Is this what the calculation means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjosemadam View Post
If you can think of public schools in India, like that of CBSC/NCERT, You can get the cost to nearly 20% of that of an international schools, and I feel that also as comfortable as the Kids will sooner get acclimatised with this scenario.

Thank you
Jobin
Yes, we are happy to look at other schools when we arrive. This is a long term move, but my colleagues suggested an international school to start when we can't visit beforehand (and its also really close to where I will work). If you think our child can get a similar education at 20% cost, it would be silly not to consider these schools also.
Last edited by narendra.d; Jun 22nd, 2014 at 12:38.. Reason: merged
#6 Jun 22nd, 2014, 10:57
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,316
  • nycank is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn View Post I saw this quote before in various contexts. I guess I don't quite understand it. Does this mean that if someone was making $20000 in the US that they should ask for $30000 minus cost of living, which for India is generally 1/3 - 1/4 of US? That would be about $10000 for India. Is this what the calculation means?
No.

To move on an assignment, say from $100,000/yr, the package should be about $150,000-$165,000 PLUS Cost of Living Adjustments. Which vary by city and/or country. Read carefully what I said - Within company. It is much more nuanced and protracted if working spouse and kids are involved. There are tables for what is COLA for each major city worldwide with New York City as base=100
#7 Jun 22nd, 2014, 11:14
Join Date:
Jun 2014
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
8
  • bryn is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycank View Post No.

To move on an assignment, say from $100,000/yr, the package should be about $150,000-$165,000 PLUS Cost of Living Adjustments. Which vary by city and/or country. Read carefully what I said - Within company. It is much more nuanced and protracted if working spouse and kids are involved. There are tables for what is COLA for each major city worldwide with New York City as base=100
Thank you for humoring me on this, but I am finding it very confusing. Considering the cost of living for Bangalore is, as I said, 1/3-1/4 of US cities according to these COLA tables, that means for a $150,000 you would need to adjust DOWN to $50,000. This is where I am confused by your post.

I am not moving within company, so I understand that it is different, but I have already moved to Europe for 8 years and there, the cost of living required an increase in salary from the US (about 30%). Isn't reasonable to assume that one should adjust down for a country with a COLA of 1/3? We also have no assets left in the us as all house / car / rentals / etc. have been sold in anticipation of a move, so other than my aging parents, I don't have many ties in the US.

I am only pushing the issue because asking for $150,000+ (753000 INR per month) sounds really high. I am in a highly skilled profession (requiring postgraduate training), but it is so far from where they started (I already got them to double what they offered), that I am not sure it is reasonable.
#8 Jun 22nd, 2014, 15:06
Join Date:
Apr 2014
Location:
Kerala - India
Posts:
51
Send a message via Yahoo to jjosemadam Send a message via Skype™ to jjosemadam
  • jjosemadam is offline
#8
Dear Bryn,

I am so sorry to inform you that I am not so technical with The COLA and Thumb rules. To be frank I am a Practical man by choice. Am a Professionally qualified nurse and a passionate graphic designer.

In my opinion asking for a salary of $150000 is absolutely ridiculous as the employer is not digging money. And never ever the living cost is so high as in US or Europe. You can have all the necessary raw materials for the life for a cost of less than that of INR 10000.00 per month.

The remaining expenses are for the apartment and travel. The apartments you can avail from the basic INR 3000.00 to 100'000.00 per month depending on your choice.

It means that the people those who have a wage of 150-300.00 per day as well as 5000.00 per day live life with happiness. And there are varieties of living styles you can adopt to.

Life is like a concrete mixture soon after you move to another country, you must mold it to the shape that you wanted the life be. And Its highly difficult to change the shape once it is set.

You can see a lot of people come in and give you advices, but it is you and your life, and your income that matters your decisions. The people who ever advice you may have some stuff to sell to you or may be they get benefits in the basis of commissions for what ever services they point you to use.

One thing I can assure you is that you can live with huge amount of money as well as with nothing in hand. I know both sides of the income very well.

And the schools, You can contact your colleagues about their own kids, and the highly talented individuals of India, tech guys or even the common lay men about the education, Most of them were coming from the National syllabus. Not of the International syllabus. I am not saying to you that international schools are bad but remember, Education to the High income group is an absolute business any were in the world.

And the Business kill the aim and quality of education provided. Please correct me if I am wrong.

In a Nutshell, The salary offered in India is Not Bad, and more than that it is huge.

Thanks

Jobin
#9 Jun 22nd, 2014, 15:28
Join Date:
Jun 2014
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
8
  • bryn is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjosemadam View Post Dear Bryn,

I am so sorry to inform you that I am not so technical with The COLA and Thumb rules. To be frank I am a Practical man by choice. Am a Professionally qualified nurse and a passionate graphic designer.

In my opinion asking for a salary of $150000 is absolutely ridiculous as the employer is not digging money. And never ever the living cost is so high as in US or Europe. You can have all the necessary raw materials for the life for a cost of less than that of INR 10000.00 per month.

The remaining expenses are for the apartment and travel. The apartments you can avail from the basic INR 3000.00 to 100'000.00 per month depending on your choice.

It means that the people those who have a wage of 150-300.00 per day as well as 5000.00 per day live life with happiness. And there are varieties of living styles you can adopt to.

Life is like a concrete mixture soon after you move to another country, you must mold it to the shape that you wanted the life be. And Its highly difficult to change the shape once it is set.

You can see a lot of people come in and give you advices, but it is you and your life, and your income that matters your decisions. The people who ever advice you may have some stuff to sell to you or may be they get benefits in the basis of commissions for what ever services they point you to use.

One thing I can assure you is that you can live with huge amount of money as well as with nothing in hand. I know both sides of the income very well.

And the schools, You can contact your colleagues about their own kids, and the highly talented individuals of India, tech guys or even the common lay men about the education, Most of them were coming from the National syllabus. Not of the International syllabus. I am not saying to you that international schools are bad but remember, Education to the High income group is an absolute business any were in the world.

And the Business kill the aim and quality of education provided. Please correct me if I am wrong.

In a Nutshell, The salary offered in India is Not Bad, and more than that it is huge.

Thanks

Jobin
Thank you for the reassurance. In the end, my family and I are interested in India not for money but for its own sake - the warm, friendly people, the amazing natural ecology, and the intense sense of growth and optimism in the general populace. We don't expect our transition to be easy (TBH, living in East Germany was not so easy in the end), but we do wish to be unburdened from financial issues so we can concentrate fully on immersing ourselves and learning the culture. You have reassured me that this is the case. My daughter is already learning Kannada, and we are very very excited about this adventure.
#10 Jun 22nd, 2014, 15:45
Join Date:
Apr 2014
Location:
Kerala - India
Posts:
51
Send a message via Yahoo to jjosemadam Send a message via Skype™ to jjosemadam
  • jjosemadam is offline
#10
Dear Bryn,

Thanks a Lot for the fastest reply. That is really pleased to know that she started to learn Kannada. I have been in Bangalore from 2009 till 2012. For doing my Masters. Kannada Is a Lovely language, I still listen to the songs in Kannada. I am not proficient with writing and reading but I do speak well.

remember that India is a funny land where you get changes in language when you change states of India. If you climb an interstate bus, by morning you will be in a land where you wont understand anything. That much cultural diversity I India accommodates. To say, "unity in diversity".

So I can assure you that the income that you get is approximately 7-10 times more than that of a Teacher, Nurse,or a Gusseted Officer (Secret this must be)

So Carrie on Join fast

can I ask your profession as well?

I am sorry I got too personal to ask about this I know.

Thank you.
Jobin
#11 Jun 22nd, 2014, 15:58
Join Date:
Jun 2014
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
8
  • bryn is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjosemadam View Post Dear Bryn,


can I ask your profession as well?

I am sorry I got too personal to ask about this I know.

Thank you.
Jobin
I am a scientist of sorts, and will be working to understand and preserve the biodiversity / ecology of Indian natural systems. An amazing opportunity that I certainly didn't take for the money, but for the chance to help others in India make a positive difference for our planet.
#12 Jun 22nd, 2014, 16:42
Join Date:
Apr 2014
Location:
Kerala - India
Posts:
51
Send a message via Yahoo to jjosemadam Send a message via Skype™ to jjosemadam
  • jjosemadam is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn View Post An amazing opportunity that I certainly didn't take for the money, but for the chance to help others in India make a positive difference for our planet.
I love that quote! and I respect you for the cause that you are coming to India.

I am available always if any helping hand needed (Not Financially, becacuse I work hard for my Living) I am also a Nature admirer from the deep heart!
#13 Jun 22nd, 2014, 16:49
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Chennai
Posts:
2,047
  • thejag is offline
#13
@bryn: The cost of living in india is lesser than the US, but an average home and lifestyle here is very different to an average home and lifestyle in most other countries. While the salary offered to you is very good by Indian standards what it leaves as savings for you to put away for your retirement in the US or any other western country may not be much compared to what you save there.

And despite your goal of living long term in India, it might not translate into living in India permanently. you will find many many other threads dealing with retiring in India.

This I suppose is one of the reasons for such fat pay packages for expat employees in India.
meh...
#14 Jun 22nd, 2014, 17:34
Join Date:
Jun 2014
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
8
  • bryn is offline
#14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejag View Post @bryn:

This I suppose is one of the reasons for such fat pay packages for expat employees in India.
This is an excellent point, and one to keep in mind. Thank you for this.
#15 Jun 23rd, 2014, 18:48
Join Date:
Jun 2008
Location:
Kolkata, India
Posts:
322
  • kanishka_27 is offline
#15
If at all this helps, I am moving to Bangalore (though from a different low-cost city in India) in August with my wife and kid and trust me I am getting around 70% of what you said you will be getting. I have done my calculations and I think its good enough. So I see no reason as to why yours is not. However I admit that there are a few basic differences between you and me:
1) For me its an intra-country move unlike you, so more or less I am used to the Indian way of living
2) My future savings remains to be in Indian currency, while I think you need to convert it in terms of USD if at all you have plans to move back to US later on in your life.

I think if you have made up your mind, then don't worry. With the amount that you are getting you will be able to lead a very good life here. More than the cost, I would advise you to read more and more about the Indian ways of living and dealings with day-to-day people you meet. That will help you much much more and will also save you some money

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
How much salary should I ask. Please help. Jul 23rd, 2013 04:33 3 4964 Moving to Bangalore
Confused about salary Dec 28th, 2011 18:07 12 3841 Moving to Mumbai
Another salary question Oct 25th, 2010 22:24 20 3277 Moving to Delhi
Question about salary Aug 20th, 2010 16:07 17 2812 Bangalore
train from delhi to agra and info info info! Jan 29th, 2006 04:06 7 18952 Indian Railways


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success