Where to start with a marriage visa

#1 Mar 11th, 2011, 22:06
Join Date:
Jan 2010
Manchester, UK
  • Madangmeri is offline
I recently got married in India to my Indian partner. I am currently here on a tourist visa but need to change this ... and to be honest, I have no idea how or where to start.
Am I right in thinking I need to get a Entry X Visa and that I am better doing this from the UK where I am from. But I see that this would not allow me to work.

I am planning on starting a business with my partner in India but from what I can work out an Entry X visa would not allow me to do this.

Please tell me what is the best visa to get which would allow me to start a business in India and stay here as long as possible.

Or is it just a matter of getting a PIO card - which I think would allow me to invest in India (does this mean in business)

I would be so grateful to receive any advice as I'm feeling a bit confused and at a loss where to start.

#2 Mar 12th, 2011, 00:45
Join Date:
Sep 2008
  • curtdfw is offline
You can stay long term in India with an X visa but, as you've noted, you won't be able to work etc until you get PIO -- typically you can apply after one year of marriage. It may take quite a while to process if done in India, so returning to your home country would probably speed up the process.

A Business visa would permit working, but would be rather tough to get for a new enterprise.

Do some searches on the site and you'll find many cases of foreigners in your situation.
“She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.” – Mark Twain
#3 Mar 12th, 2011, 14:28
Join Date:
Jan 2010
Manchester, UK
  • Madangmeri is offline
Hi Curtdfw

Thanks so much for that. Really appreciate your response.
I did read quite a bit before but the more you read the more confusing it gets.
And I am trying to just keep it as simple as I can.

#4 Mar 12th, 2011, 14:43
Join Date:
Feb 2011
New Delhi
  • vivek999 is offline
Well its better to go back to your country.and try to get visa from there by submitting your marriage certificate.After that you can upgrade your visa in 6 month to 1 year.its a routine process.
#5 Mar 12th, 2011, 16:13
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Chennai, India
  • Nick-H is offline
Well its better to go back to your country
The application tends to be simpler, even over-the-counter. Nothing black and white, though: some people have a hard time in their native place, some find it easy in India.

My experience was that I spent a long time getting nowhere in India, but it took ten minutes in London.

(Nothing takes minutes in London any longer: due to outsourcing, days is the best you can expect --- but days is a heap better than months!)

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
marriage visa Feb 10th, 2011 21:11 8 2231 Marriage related Visa Questions
Need help........ Marriage Visa question......... Nov 25th, 2010 23:57 2 1175 Marriage related Visa Questions
Indo French marriage transfer from tourist visa to x visa for my wife Oct 9th, 2010 07:09 24 7220 Marriage related Visa Questions

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success