Ritual wedding in India, official one in Germany

#1 Dec 26th, 2017, 16:00
Join Date:
Dec 2017
Location:
Germany
Posts:
1
  • Tannenbaum is offline
#1
Hi Guys,

My boyfriend and I would like to have a religious wedding ceremony in India, as he is Indian, and an official marriage in Germany, as I am German and we are both living in Germany now.

Do you know if the German government officials could create any problems, as they might know that in Indian society one is traditionally regarded as being married when the rituals have been performed? We don't plan to marry under the Special Marriage Act though.

I know a lot of people have had trouble getting Indian marriages recognized in Germany. But can we conclude that this fact makes it easy for us?

I don't dare asking the Standesamt official, because once she knows, she might say then itís not possible.

Cheers, Tannenbaum
#2 Dec 26th, 2017, 16:07
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,976
  • Nick-H is offline
#2
Quote:
Do you know if the German government officials could create any problems ... ... ...
This one is so easy: don't tell them!






.
~
Life gets aadhar every day.
.
#3 Dec 26th, 2017, 17:39
Join Date:
Aug 2012
Location:
Dubai/Hannover/Trivandrum
Posts:
333
  • namaskaram is offline
#3
I would say, do the ceremony but do not sign anything. And ideally, you have the wedding in Germany first! Then there is no problem to have a religious ceremony afterwards (as many Germans have one in church after the Standesamt).

It might become a problem if you get married in India first and at the time the "Vertrauensanwalt" checks the papers, he might find out. Especially if he asks people about your partner. Must not happen at all, but could.

Next option would be to marry under the Hindu marriage act if you are a Hindu (Buddhist, Sikh, ...), too. If you stick to Indian marriage law, that is possible as well. We did it and there was no problem with the German authorities. But you have to follow Indian law, only then Germany recognizes the Indian marriage.
#4 Dec 26th, 2017, 17:57
Join Date:
Apr 2009
Location:
Almora
Posts:
6,907
  • jituyadav is offline
#4
Although considered legal, ritual marriage without registration has no trail of any legal documents or anything, so basically there is no way to prove you are married, so just a marriage ceremony should have no problem at all.

Even if someone were to claim in Germany that you are married, he or she would have to provide some sort of government certificate which does not exist, or alternately provide videos, photographs and witnesses, which is not only futile, but why would anyone go to such lengths.
If you find my posts confrontationist, please bear, I am an old frustrated guy who has nothing better to do than sit on rocking chair and curse the world whole day
#5 Dec 27th, 2017, 09:44
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,651
  • nycank is offline
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaskaram View Post I would say, do the ceremony but do not sign anything. And ideally, you have the wedding in Germany first! Then there is no problem to have a religious ceremony afterwards (as many Germans have one in church after the Standesamt).

It might become a problem if you get married in India first and at the time the "Vertrauensanwalt" checks the papers, he might find out. Especially if he asks people about your partner. Must not happen at all, but could.

Next option would be to marry under the Hindu marriage act if you are a Hindu (Buddhist, Sikh, ...), too. If you stick to Indian marriage law, that is possible as well. We did it and there was no problem with the German authorities. But you have to follow Indian law, only then Germany recognizes the Indian marriage.
Sikh now have their own Act - Anand Karaj Act. It does not fall within the HMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jituyadav View Post Although considered legal, ritual marriage without registration has no trail of any legal documents or anything, so basically there is no way to prove you are married, so just a marriage ceremony should have no problem at all.

Even if someone were to claim in Germany that you are married, he or she would have to provide some sort of government certificate which does not exist, or alternately provide videos, photographs and witnesses, which is not only futile, but why would anyone go to such lengths.
That does not fly any longer.

In Smt. Seema vs Ashwani Kumar - Transfer Petition (civil) 291 of 2005 on 14 February, 2006 the Supreme Court of India ruled that all marriages, irrespectively of religion or ceremony, should be registered.



Quote:
Accordingly, we are of the view that marriages of all persons who are citizens of India belonging to various religions should be made compulsorily registrable in their respective States, where the marriage is solemnized.
Since registration is a State function, it directed all states to comply. It further noted:

Quote:
Needless to add that the object of the said Rules shall be to carry out the directions of this Court.

(iii) As and when the Central Government enacts a comprehensive statute, the same shall be placed before this Court for scrutiny.

(iv) Learned counsel for various States and Union Territories shall ensure that the directions given herein are carried out immediately.
The backstory is that the UPA Government killed a pending draft bill which was to have become an Act. Hence the (iii). The follow through was not complete (naturally, UPA ) So, on October 25, 2007, Supreme Court followed through with an Order to comply within four months of the order.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannenbaum View Post Hi Guys,

My boyfriend and I would like to have a religious wedding ceremony in India, as he is Indian, and an official marriage in Germany, as I am German and we are both living in Germany now.

Do you know if the German government officials could create any problems, as they might know that in Indian society one is traditionally regarded as being married when the rituals have been performed?
Dont do it !

Get the official wedding done first in Germany as others have pointed out.

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
India to Germany Sep 26th, 2009 08:08 6 2398 Crossing the Border
Us to Germany to india Apr 26th, 2005 07:23 6 3272 For Citizens of Other Countries - Visa and PIO/OCI Questions
The Official India football team jersey auctioned Sep 24th, 2004 18:57 5 6464 Sports in India


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success