Kolkata Street Art
cameo
India > Cities in India > India Travel > Kolkata (Calcutta)
#1
| Member

Kolkata Street Art

Hello IM,

Does anyone know of specific locations of murals in Kolkata? Thanks for any tips.

13 Replies

#2
| a LEARNER here......be careful or ignore his posts
You may find it in Kolkata.....but on streets (as the heading of your thread says) are tough.....I saw it sometimes in front of the main gate of Academy of Fine Arts. You also may find street painters in Park Street, New Market or around KMC (Kolkata Municipality Corporation) areas, but I never saw them to making murals, but small portraits.
.


:saywha:Totaly confused how to explore the beautiful earth when one life is too short to complete my great India :bawling:



Photo-Story:[COLOR=Plum] HARI-SILA or HARSIL [maryjane][COLOR=PaleGreen][COLOR=Plum] Deoriatal-Chopta [/COLOR],
#3
| Member
Thank you PKanti -- If in your travels around your city, you should happen to see a mural, I would very much appreciate your letting me know. Thanks again.
#4
| It's all Greek to me, but Benglish will do
Hi cameo,

This time last year, during the Durga Puja festival, there was a street artist painting murals on the walls of alleys in Kumartuli. Unfortunately I do not have the exact address. But if you go there for a wander at this time of the year, you will probably see him. Enjoy! :)
#5
| a LEARNER here......be careful or ignore his posts

Originally posted by: theyyamdancer View Post

Hi cameo,

This time last year, during the Durga Puja festival, there was a street artist painting murals on the walls of alleys in Kumartuli. Unfortunately I do not have the exact address. But if you go there for a wander at this time of the year, you will probably see him. Enjoy! :)


yeh, almost right.

The murals can be found there. Actually the artists there create it by orders. If you have any plan to purchase it, you can get it by making an order.

Otherwise, in Dugapuja festivals, Murals may be seen in 'Mandapa' in Kolkata and sub-urb areas. After the Puja over one can manage to purchase a murals in cheap price.

Address of Kumartuli can be found very easy.......come to Kolkata and ask anyone.
.


:saywha:Totaly confused how to explore the beautiful earth when one life is too short to complete my great India :bawling:



Photo-Story:[COLOR=Plum] HARI-SILA or HARSIL [maryjane][COLOR=PaleGreen][COLOR=Plum] Deoriatal-Chopta [/COLOR],
#6
| It's all Greek to me, but Benglish will do
Obviously I am not referring to the pandal art, which you are talking about, PKanti. I am not talking about art made to order either. I am talking about spontaneous artistic creation on the wall - murals - which is free and classified as street art. I will post a photo so that you can better understand what I am talking about.

Kumartuli is obviously easy to find. The exact location of this mural is not so easy to find. We were there last year with Kausik. Maybe he will remember!


#7
| Maha Guru Member
Intriguing TD!

What is the Bengali word? And what do you think is the meaning of this art? My first thought was that it was a Chinese-looking cat - Chairman Meeow?? ;)


I took a lot of photos last time I was there of political slogans painted on walls. I'll look through my pictures again to see do I have any art too.
#8
| It's all Greek to me, but Benglish will do
Here's another photo, also snapped last year during the Durga Puja festival, but it refers to the Festival of Vishwakarma during which kites are flown and the caption (in Bengali) says "bo-kata", meaning (Yipee) "I have cut your string"... The artist is writing "tomar bhalobasha", meaning "with my love (to you)". Isn't it great?

#9
| Wanderlust!!!

Originally posted by: JuliaF View Post

Intriguing TD!

What is the Bengali word? And what do you think is the meaning of this art? My first thought was that it was a Chinese-looking cat - Chairman Meeow?? ;)


I took a lot of photos last time I was there of political slogans painted on walls. I'll look through my pictures again to see do I have any art too.


The bengali word is 'Swagatam' which means 'Welcome'.

See the cat (or tiger??) is doing 'namaste'.
Wanderlust - My Travel Journals
Leave your footprint as a tiny but precious comment :D
#10
| It's all Greek to me, but Benglish will do
Julia, the caption in the Chairman Miaow says "Svagatam" meaning "Welcome". :) Native Kolkatans will doubtless correct my spelling. :(


Oops - X-posted
#11
| Member
Thanks to all posters -- this is exactly what I'm hoping to find as I wander around Kolkata. Will definitely make my way to Kumartuli. Any murals with locations would be so appreciated.

As an aside, is Kumartuli also the area where there are potters and stone carvers?
#12
| In Dog I Trust

Originally posted by: JuliaF View Post


I took a lot of photos last time I was there of political slogans painted on walls. I'll look through my pictures again to see do I have any art too.


Come election time, walls all over Kolkata (and Bengal) start sporting "political art" (the numbers may have diminished in recent years due to the Election Commission clamp down). Online issues of Kolkata newspapers covering recent elections should be easy enough to find on the net. The problems with finding and posting some samples here are copyright issues as well as the need to have a balanced exposition of all the political parties! :)
.
#13
| Wanderlust!!!

Originally posted by: suricate View Post

Come election time, walls all over Kolkata (and Bengal) start sporting "political art" (the numbers may have diminished in recent years due to the Election Commission clamp down). Online issues of Kolkata newspapers covering recent elections should be easy enough to find on the net. The problems with finding and posting some samples here are copyright issues as well as the need to have a balanced exposition of all the political parties! :)
.


ha ha loved it suricate. so true!!
Wanderlust - My Travel Journals
Leave your footprint as a tiny but precious comment :D
#14
| Member
i was searching as well, but mostly in vain. found this little gem off sudder street though...


ok - i can't seem to post the photo. :(

Related Posts