Road Trip covering TN,Kerala,Karnataka

#1 May 28th, 2009, 13:20
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
erode
Posts:
25
  • warezilla is offline
#1
Hi pals,

i'm a hungry traveler ... And i just finished off an awesome Road Trip in Kerala ( Munnar - Thekkady - Idukki - Perumbavoor - Chalakudy - Athirapally - Sholaiyar - Valparai ) in four bikes along with my friends ... The Road Trip is the most adventurous one , I ever encountered ... Because we ride mostly on the mountain roads and only a little bit on the highways...

Here I am , for your help to set up an another extravaganza road trip across TN, Kerala, Karnataka ... So please help me with details on the roads and places and food in our trip ...

I do not have strong knowledge about karnataka ...

Our Road Trip plan is to travel these places and possibly other unknown places ... Below is my travel route , that i think possible ... please help me with a possible itineary to cover all these places in 5 days and with huge adventure ....


OOTY - MUDUMALAI - BANDIPUR - GUNDLUPET - MUTHUNGA WILDLIFE SANCTUARY - SULTAN BATHERY - KALPETTA - KABINI - NAGARHOLE NATIONAL PARK - MADIKERI - MYSORE - TAMIL NADU(end)
#2 May 28th, 2009, 13:42
Join Date:
Jun 2008
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
253
Send a message via Yahoo to sharan_travelcrazy
  • sharan_travelcrazy is offline
#2
Hi Warezilla,

Welcome to IM!

Looking at your list of places, just get the feeling that it might be a bit too tight to cover all these places in 5 days if you really want to cover the attractions in these places! The wayanad area alone (SB - Kalpetta - Kuruva) needs a couple of days atleast.

our member pmvelu might be able to update you on the road conditions.
Travel tales of an insatiable wanderlust-
Life is a journey ...

And I will take the road less traveled..
#3 May 28th, 2009, 13:50
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
erode
Posts:
25
  • warezilla is offline
#3
thanks sharan_travelcrazy, for your reply ... but i do starve to visit these places ... please anyone help me solve the riddle of connecting all or most of these places , there by we would have a adventurous road trip ....
#4 May 28th, 2009, 14:43
Join Date:
Jun 2008
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
253
Send a message via Yahoo to sharan_travelcrazy
  • sharan_travelcrazy is offline
#4
Have a look at these threads:

http://www.indiamike.com/india/karna...ayanad-t64065/

http://www.indiamike.com/india/karna...tenary-t74409/

Also please look around in the Karnataka forum. You will get a lot of info in bits and pieces which you can compile together.
#5 May 28th, 2009, 15:07
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
erode
Posts:
25
  • warezilla is offline
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharan_travelcrazy View Post Have a look at these threads:

http://www.indiamike.com/india/karna...ayanad-t64065/

http://www.indiamike.com/india/karna...tenary-t74409/

Also please look around in the Karnataka forum. You will get a lot of info in bits and pieces which you can compile together.
thanks for the info... those discussions gave me a real insight of most of the places i mentioned ...

BUT , can somebody answer my following questions ,

1) Is it possible,safe and fun to ride in my bike (pulsar 150cc) to all these places???

2) What is the condition of roads in these places ?

3) How much distance will be the whole journey ?

4) SUGGEST ME AN ITINERARY SPECIFIC to my route

5) POST or give links to the photos and videos of these places
#6 May 28th, 2009, 15:37
Join Date:
Jun 2008
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
253
Send a message via Yahoo to sharan_travelcrazy
  • sharan_travelcrazy is offline
#6
For road conditions in the wayanad - Nagarhole circuit, see post# 29 in this thread - http://www.indiamike.com/india/india...osed-t73046/2/

The ooty - Mudumalai roads (Both the roads - the ghat road through Kalhatty and the long road via Gudalur) are absolutely fine except for the stretch after entering the forest checkpost(Did it in march and don't think there will be too many changes). I did ooty- Mudumalai ghat road in a 125 cc bike and if you are concerned about that, shouldn't be a problem.

I read somewhere that they do not allow bikes in the Nagarhole forest stretch - not sure though.

Distances (that I know of):

ooty - Mudumalai (via kalhatty ghat road) - 35 km
ooty - Mudumalai (via Gudalur) - ~67 km
Mudumalai - Bandipur - 10
Bandipur - Gundulpet - ~25
Gundulpet - SB - 50
SB - Kalpetta - 25
Kalpetta - Kuruva - ~45
Nagarhole - Madikeri - 85
#7 May 28th, 2009, 15:45
Join Date:
Jun 2008
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
253
Send a message via Yahoo to sharan_travelcrazy
  • sharan_travelcrazy is offline
#7
#8 May 29th, 2009, 08:57
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
erode
Posts:
25
  • warezilla is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharan_travelcrazy View Post For road conditions in the wayanad - Nagarhole circuit, see post# 29 in this thread - http://www.indiamike.com/india/india...osed-t73046/2/

The ooty - Mudumalai roads (Both the roads - the ghat road through Kalhatty and the long road via Gudalur) are absolutely fine except for the stretch after entering the forest checkpost(Did it in march and don't think there will be too many changes). I did ooty- Mudumalai ghat road in a 125 cc bike and if you are concerned about that, shouldn't be a problem.

I read somewhere that they do not allow bikes in the Nagarhole forest stretch - not sure though.

Distances (that I know of):

ooty - Mudumalai (via kalhatty ghat road) - 35 km
ooty - Mudumalai (via Gudalur) - ~67 km
Mudumalai - Bandipur - 10
Bandipur - Gundulpet - ~25
Gundulpet - SB - 50
SB - Kalpetta - 25
Kalpetta - Kuruva - ~45
Nagarhole - Madikeri - 85
thanks shekar for your details ,

but i need someone's advice about following ...

1)Is it allowed to take bikes to all these places ?

2)How is the weather in these places , by june second week or now?

3)Is it necessary to reserve the jungle safari before we go (in badipur and nagarhole NP) ?

4)Is it safe to go in bikes ? ( like rain, bad roads )

5)If u think it is not good to go for a road trip by bike in these areas , please suggest an another place in south india, where its good ??
please help me with these

Mod Note: warezilla - there is no need to use colour in your posts on normal threads. I have editted this one out. Have left the red in the first post above. Please just type the full post in normal size black type - no need to do anything in other words. If you type in the box, the correct size and black come automatically.
#9 May 29th, 2009, 11:12
Join Date:
Jun 2008
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
253
Send a message via Yahoo to sharan_travelcrazy
  • sharan_travelcrazy is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by warezilla View Post thanks shekar for your details ,

but i need someone's advice about following ...

1)Is it allowed to take bikes to all these places ?

2)How is the weather in these places , by june second week or now?

3)Is it necessary to reserve the jungle safari before we go (in badipur and nagarhole NP) ?

4)Is it safe to go in bikes ? ( like rain, bad roads )

5)If u think it is not good to go for a road trip by bike in these areas , please suggest an another place in south india, where its good ??
please help me with these
1. I have visited all these places (except Madikeri) in the last few months and bikes are certainly allowed everywhere except the nagerhole stretch which I'm doubtful about! Because all other roads are highways and traffic including bikes is allowed round the clock.

2. Monsoons are reported to have already started in Kerala this time. So you would expect rains in that part. In june, Nilgiris would be wet except for the Bandipur - Mudumalai area. The karnataka part should be relatively drier.

3. You cannot make any reservations in any of the NPs. Go there at the earliest and get your ticket. The safari timings are typically 7 - 9 in the morning and between 3-6 in the evenings.

4. The nagarhole stretch is said to be bad. A 10 km stretch betweeen Gundlupet and Bandipur was poor. Except for that all the roads in your route are in pretty good shape. Of course there is the risk of rains.

5. Its up to you to decide. But still I wouldn't recommend squeezing so many places within so lesser days.

and I'm not shekar
#10 May 29th, 2009, 14:10
Join Date:
Feb 2008
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
4,094
  • snonymous is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by warezilla View Post Hi pals,

i'm a hungry traveler ... And i just finished off an awesome Road Trip in Kerala ( Munnar - Thekkady - Idukki - Perumbavoor - Chalakudy - Athirapally - Sholaiyar - Valparai ) .. ... The Road Trip is the most adventurous one , I ever encountered ... Because we ride mostly on the mountain roads and only a little bit on the highways...
Please post more details especially about Athirapally Sholayar Valparai. You can post it in a separate thread in the Tamil Nadu forum. Thanks.


By the way, as Sharan said earlier, PM Velu recently posted about the road conditions in some of the places you propose to visit, not sure in which section it is in, do a search, PM him or check in Wildlife.
Travelpod / Flickr


-----------------------------------------------------
#11 May 29th, 2009, 14:13
Join Date:
Aug 2008
Location:
Not set
Posts:
1,006
  • santos_g15 is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snonymous View Post Please post more details especially about Athirapally Sholayar Valparai. You can post it in a separate thread in the Tamil Nadu forum. Thanks.
.
I second the thought.I am planning for an sept-october visit to these places.
#12 May 29th, 2009, 17:00
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
erode
Posts:
25
  • warezilla is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snonymous View Post Please post more details especially about Athirapally Sholayar Valparai. You can post it in a separate thread in the Tamil Nadu forum. Thanks.


By the way, as Sharan said earlier, PM Velu recently posted about the road conditions in some of the places you propose to visit, not sure in which section it is in, do a search, PM him or check in Wildlife.
yes , i've planned a detailed travelogue about our exhilarating road trip in kerala ... BUT gimme some two days to do that ... and i will PM you guys ...

before that , somebody help me with the road access to the bikes in the nagarhole stretch , is it allowed ??? if not can we hire some forest vehicles to traverse through ???
#13 May 29th, 2009, 17:47
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
erode
Posts:
25
  • warezilla is offline
#13
please comment on my route as in the below snapshot ...

1) Are bikes allowed in my whole route ???



please tell which road is more adventurous from below two maps ..







Mod Note: warezilla - I have deleted your duplicate post - both were held up for Moderation because as a new member all new members who post links have their posts first approved. Please be patient with us, sometimes there is no Mod on to do the approving for a short while.
#14 May 30th, 2009, 12:58
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Location:
Kerala
Posts:
137
Send a message via MSN to kenneyjacob Send a message via Yahoo to kenneyjacob Send a message via Skype™ to kenneyjacob
  • kenneyjacob is offline
#14
Bikes are allowed in all your routes, but riding bikes at this this time of the year through the hill stations can be a bit dangerous cos there will be rain... and fog..
#15 May 30th, 2009, 16:33
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
erode
Posts:
25
  • warezilla is offline
#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneyjacob View Post Bikes are allowed in all your routes, but riding bikes at this this time of the year through the hill stations can be a bit dangerous cos there will be rain... and fog..
Thanks kenneyjacob, for your info... but can u confirm about bike access from mannanthavady to kabini ... is it allowed 24X7 ???

somebody please update about the current weather conditions in these areas ??? and is this right time that animals venture out to the roads ....

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
planning 1st serious trip (S. India: Tamilnadu/Kerala/Karnataka)!!! Jul 17th, 2010 14:04 7 3069 India Travel Itinerary Advice
15-20 Day Karnataka Road Trip Oct 29th, 2009 22:22 5 3009 India Travel Itinerary Advice
Road Conditions in Karnataka Oct 21st, 2009 17:00 17 9933 Karnataka
10 Days Trip Covering Rajasthan Dec 11th, 2008 23:07 3 1194 Rajasthan
Coastal road in Goa and Karnataka May 26th, 2006 18:49 9 4023 Chai and Chat


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success