India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com

India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com (https://www.indiamike.com/india/)
-   Kerala (https://www.indiamike.com/india/kerala-f39/)
-   -   6 days trip in August, review itienary please (https://www.indiamike.com/india/kerala-f39/6-days-trip-in-august-review-itienary-please-t264215/)

abhinandab Jul 28th, 2017 17:46

6 days trip in August, review itienary please
 
Hi.
we have planned a 5-6 days trip to kerala next month.the to and from flight tickets are booked,nothing else.here goes our tentative plan

21/08/17 : Arrive at Kochi at 12.30 pm.overnight at kochi.

22/08/17 - proceed to Munnar.(can we see athirapally falls/kodanadu elephant camp on the way?)overnight at munnar

23/08/17 - Munnar sightseeing.overnight at Munnar

24/08/17 - Munnar to Alleppey.check in at houseboat.overnight at houseboat.

25/08/17 - Overnight at resort in Kumarakom

26/08/17 - Kumarakom to Kochi.overnight at Kochi

27/08/17 - flight back at 10.30 am


Does this sound Ok?we do not want a very hectic schedule.questions are

1) Should we stay overnight at houseboat or stay 2 nights at Kumarakom and do a day trip in houseboat?

2)any recommendations for premium ac houseboat?the ones where we can have ac on all time and not just at night.

3)Hotel recommendations please?we have shortlisted Taj/coconut lagoon at Kumarakom,tea country/tall trees/ blackberry at Munnar.any other better places in similar budget?

4) Any recommended cab rental agency in kochi?

5)hotel suggestions in Kochi?something heritage/waterfront,not marriott types.

Any kind of inputs/suggestions/changes welcome.

Thanks

snotty Jul 28th, 2017 18:32

1. Why do you want to go to Kochi on arriving? I would suggest visit Kalady, Athirapally Waterfalls and Kodanad elephant interaction center on day 1 - directly from the airport and then on day 2 leave early to reach Munnar from Kodanad. You can do the elephant visit in the morning as well on day 2. There seem to be decent hotels around Kodanad.
You cannot do the waterfall and Kodanad enroute to Munnar. And going to Kochi from airport and then coming back to munnar adds 6-8 hours of travel.
2. Two days in Kumarakom is an overkill. One day either in Allepey or Kumarakom should serve its purpose, I would suggest Kumarakom and a day trip in houseboat.
3. So with that you do have one day extra remaining, why not consider Thekkady there.
4. As vonkla and Aarosh shall remind you, there are nice cruise options in Ernakulam. Do consider those as well.

I may have made some drastic changes/suggestions, feel free to ignore what you don't prefer.

I have used the services of a particular travel person over there, shall share contact details if required. He had done the entire package - stay and travel.

abhinandab Jul 28th, 2017 18:42

6 Days trip in august,review itirenary please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by snotty (Post 2049264)
1. Why do you want to go to Kochi on arriving? I would suggest visit Kalady, Athirapally Waterfalls and Kodanad elephant interaction center on day 1 - directly from the airport and then on day 2 leave early to reach Munnar from Kodanad. You can do the elephant visit in the morning as well on day 2. There seem to be decent hotels around Kodanad.

Good suggestion.will consider this.how much time from kodanad to munnar next day?
You cannot do the waterfall and Kodanad enroute to Munnar. And going to Kochi from airport and then coming back to munnar adds 6-8 hours of travel.
2. Two days in Kumarakom is an overkill. One day either in Allepey or Kumarakom should serve its purpose, I would suggest Kumarakom and a day trip in houseboat.

thanks.actually this trip is for relaxation as the main purpose,(mini honeymoon actually)so didnt want to pack and change hotels every other day.hence the two day plan.

3. So with that you do have one day extra remaining, why not consider Thekkady there.
4. As vonkla and Aarosh shall remind you, there are nice cruise options in Ernakulam. Do consider those as well.

Extra day can be used in Kochi as well I believe?

I may have made some drastic changes/suggestions, feel free to ignore what you don't prefer.

I have used the services of a particular travel person over there, shall share contact details if required. He had done the entire package - stay and travel

please give the contact details of this person.Any inputs on the hotels??
.

hi.i have given my replies and queries below your suggestions.please advise.thanks a lot

arupratan ghosh Jul 28th, 2017 22:37

Abhinanda, posting my views only on the first day ( and a part of day 2) of your trip. I completely agree with Snotty , no need to go to Kochi for a night stay if you want to visit Athirapally & Kodanad. Given the timeframe, I think it would be better to do Athirapally only ( & Kalady ) before proceeding to Munnar on Day 2. In that case, you can visit Kalady on your way to Athirapally from Airport in the afternoon on Day 1. Next day visit the waterfall in the morning . It's inside the forest . So morning would be the ideal time for visiting the fall. We were there in late September & it was fabulous. You need to keep at least two hours for Athirapallyl ( & for a short trek to the foot of the fall & back ). We saw a few resorts / hotels near the entrance to the fall , only a couple of kms away from the gate. Excellent location, surrounded by thik forest & rubber plantations. But I saw them only from the car. So can't comment on the standard of the rooms or facilities they provide. It should not take more than 5 hrs to reach Munnar from Athirapally . You can also visit Kodanad on your way to Munnar ; a bit off route & nothing much in Kodanad once morning activities are over. I've not been to Alleppy or Kumarakom. So no idea on those places. Have a nice & memorable trip :)

aarosh Jul 29th, 2017 22:55

I think there is no point in going to Alleppey and Kumarakom. Since you mention it is a mini honeymoon I would suggest stay in Kumarakom.

For cab you could consider Indian Panorama. It is recommended quite often here and iamsomnath availed their services recently (within the last 2 years I think).

You could consider Malabar House in Kochi.

abhinandab Jul 30th, 2017 00:53

6 Days trip in august,review itirenary please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aarosh (Post 2049421)
I think there is no point in going to Alleppey and Kumarakom. Since you mention it is a mini honeymoon I would suggest stay in Kumarakom.

For cab you could consider Indian Panorama. It is recommended quite often here and iamsomnath availed their services recently (within the last 2 years I think).

You could consider Malabar House in Kochi.

So you suggest we stay at kumarakom and do a day trip by houseboat?any hotel suggestions there?

abhinandab Jul 30th, 2017 00:55

6 Days trip in august,review itirenary please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by arupratan ghosh (Post 2049293)
Abhinanda, posting my views only on the first day ( and a part of day 2) of your trip. I completely agree with Snotty , no need to go to Kochi for a night stay if you want to visit Athirapally & Kodanad. Given the timeframe, I think it would be better to do Athirapally only ( & Kalady ) before proceeding to Munnar on Day 2. In that case, you can visit Kalady on your way to Athirapally from Airport in the afternoon on Day 1. Next day visit the waterfall in the morning . It's inside the forest . So morning would be the ideal time for visiting the fall. We were there in late September & it was fabulous. You need to keep at least two hours for Athirapallyl ( & for a short trek to the foot of the fall & back ). We saw a few resorts / hotels near the entrance to the fall , only a couple of kms away from the gate. Excellent location, surrounded by thik forest & rubber plantations. But I saw them only from the car. So can't comment on the standard of the rooms or facilities they provide. It should not take more than 5 hrs to reach Munnar from Athirapally . You can also visit Kodanad on your way to Munnar ; a bit off route & nothing much in Kodanad once morning activities are over. I've not been to Alleppy or Kumarakom. So no idea on those places. Have a nice & memorable trip :)

Arupda,athirapally resort is quite beyond our budget,though it seems nice.the chandy's property at kodanad seems as a good option for the first night.can we stay there for the first night and visit athirapally in the afternoon?

arupratan ghosh Jul 30th, 2017 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhinandab (Post 2049435)
Arupda,athirapally resort is quite beyond our budget,though it seems nice.the chandy's property at kodanad seems as a good option for the first night.can we stay there for the first night and visit athirapally in the afternoon?

Yes, you can do that also. Actually I was thinking of a more leisurely first day. Anyways then please don't halt at Kaladay & go straight to Athirapally from airport. You would be there at around 2.30 PM. Now add half an hour to reach the foot of the fall through the forest ( if it is allowed during that time ). Please carry raincoats ; it might be problematic to walk in the forest with umbrellas if it rains. Start around 5 PM from Athirapally to reach Kodanad within another one & a half hours. Whatever you do, please don't miss the chance to enjoy the waterfall of August :)

snotty Jul 30th, 2017 17:33

I was thinking of Attirapally on day 1 with Thumboormuzhi Garden (as a place this is quite good on the opposite bank, you need to cross a hanging bridge to reach here.) if time permits. Do the eplephant centre next day morning and then reach Munnar.
Two nights in Munnar and then shift to Kumarakom for one night and then shift to Kochi for two nights. There are more things to do in and around Kochi than in kumarakom.
You could consider Kalady if religion/temples interest you, even on the last day after checking out.

Shall PM you the travel agent details. My parents and another friend have used his services. I too have met him during my stay in Kerala once. Were happy with him. Do consider and compare with other options mentioned.

abhinandab Jul 31st, 2017 13:15

6 days trip in August, review itienary please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by snotty (Post 2049493)
I was thinking of Attirapally on day 1 with Thumboormuzhi Garden (as a place this is quite good on the opposite bank, you need to cross a hanging bridge to reach here.) if time permits. Do the eplephant centre next day morning and then reach Munnar.
Two nights in Munnar and then shift to Kumarakom for one night and then shift to Kochi for two nights. There are more things to do in and around Kochi than in kumarakom.
You could consider Kalady if religion/temples interest you, even on the last day after checking out.

Shall PM you the travel agent details. My parents and another friend have used his services. I too have met him during my stay in Kerala once. Were happy with him. Do consider and compare with other options mentioned.

Thanks.any recommendation for hotels in munnar and kumarkom?

snotty Jul 31st, 2017 14:16

None in the budget that you are suggesting.
We were staying in lower budget hotels - Las Pamas in Munnar and Lakshmi Resort in Kumarakom. Satisfied with both. (was 3 years back)
On our similar trip as yours, we had stayed at Westwood Riverside Garden Resort - was nice (good rooms, nothing fancy). (was 8 years back)
In Munnar, you need to remember that the roads are horribly narrow, so do stay away from the center of the Munnar where you get stuck in traffic. Westwood was nice for easy access.
If you want exotic, there is this lovely place - Vismaya Lake Heritage at Kumarakom. We were quoted 12K all inclusive per day 3 years back. Is a truly amazing place if you can go for it. (obviously we didn't stay there ;))


All times are GMT +6.5. The time now is 05:08.


© IndiaMike.com 2018


Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2