Places to Stay in Patni-top, Kashmir during my Delhi-Kashmir-Leh-Manali Trip

#1 May 27th, 2010, 01:18
Join Date:
Mar 2005
Location:
Delhi & Vashist, Manali
Posts:
471
Send a message via Yahoo to Styler
  • Styler is offline
#1
Hi all,

I have traveled a lot in the hills but never been to Kashmir.
Now I am leaving Delhi for a Delhi-Kashmir-Leh-Manali-Delhi trip for 14-15 days on 6th June with my wife and 2 kids 8yr and 3.5yrs. I will be driving in my Scorpio.

I will be stopping in Jammu / Patnitop on 6th Night.
I would be starting at 5.00 am. What time can I expect to reach Patnitop. Normaly when I start at 5.00 am from Delhi for Manali, I generally reach Manali by 6-7.00 pm
Any recommendations for place to stay in Patnitop ?
Parking is a must.


7th I will reach Kashmir. I plan to leave for Kargil on 8th/9th June.
For 7th/8th Night I need your recommendation of a good place to stay in Srinagar / Sonmarg.

My requirements are :
1. Good Parking is a must
2. It should be possible to take the kids to the Dal Lake.
3. It should be easy to get to the Kargil road without getting into a traffic jam.
4. Budget Upto Rs 2000 for a Double room with extra bed.
Please good some good recommendation.

Thanks
Styler
#2 May 27th, 2010, 01:25
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Location:
KOLKATA
Posts:
19
  • mitra som is offline
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post Hi all,

I have traveled a lot in the hills but never been to Kashmir.
Now I am leaving Delhi for a Delhi-Kashmir-Leh-Manali-Delhi trip for 14-15 days on 6th June with my wife and 2 kids 8yr and 3.5yrs. I will be driving in my Scorpio.

I will be stopping in Jammu / Patnitop on 6th Night.
I would be starting at 5.00 am. What time can I expect to reach Patnitop. Normaly when I start at 5.00 am from Delhi for Manali, I generally reach Manali by 6-7.00 pm
Any recommendations for place to stay in Patnitop ?
Parking is a must.


7th I will reach Kashmir. I plan to leave for Kargil on 8th/9th June.
For 7th/8th Night I need your recommendation of a good place to stay in Srinagar / Sonmarg.

My requirements are :
1. Good Parking is a must
2. It should be possible to take the kids to the Dal Lake.
3. It should be easy to get to the Kargil road without getting into a traffic jam.
4. Budget Upto Rs 2000 for a Double room with extra bed.
Please good some good recommendation.

Thanks
Styler
jktdc hut is my preference at patnitop
#3 May 27th, 2010, 02:12
Join Date:
Jan 2007
Location:
MUMBAI
Posts:
2,782
  • Indizen is offline
#3

Arrow Hotel Green Top

Hotel Green Top is a fine place to stay in Patnitop. We stayed there last summer. It was nice. Room service is good. The hotel has parking space. Food was okay. The hotel has a very good location with a splendid view of the pine trees.
The hotel website is:
http://greentophotel.com/HOMEPAGE.htm
#4 May 28th, 2010, 07:56
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
srinagar
Posts:
1,514
  • sunnykashmir is offline
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post Hi all,

I have traveled a lot in the hills but never been to Kashmir.
Now I am leaving Delhi for a Delhi-Kashmir-Leh-Manali-Delhi trip for 14-15 days on 6th June with my wife and 2 kids 8yr and 3.5yrs. I will be driving in my Scorpio.

I will be stopping in Jammu / Patnitop on 6th Night.
I would be starting at 5.00 am. What time can I expect to reach Patnitop. Normaly when I start at 5.00 am from Delhi for Manali, I generally reach Manali by 6-7.00 pm
Any recommendations for place to stay in Patnitop ?
Parking is a must.


7th I will reach Kashmir. I plan to leave for Kargil on 8th/9th June.
For 7th/8th Night I need your recommendation of a good place to stay in Srinagar / Sonmarg.

My requirements are :
1. Good Parking is a must
2. It should be possible to take the kids to the Dal Lake.
3. It should be easy to get to the Kargil road without getting into a traffic jam.
4. Budget Upto Rs 2000 for a Double room with extra bed.
Please good some good recommendation.

Thanks
Styler
since you will be coming from delhi take dhar road from pathankot or lakhanpur you will byepass jammu and will save minimum 2 hrs journey yoo will come out at udhampur and patnitop is just 70kms from udhampur.
in srinagar try to find accomodation near dal on bouleward or in houseboat, there are parking places on bouleward, as its easy to take the kargil route from bouleward without getting in the traffic snarls.
enjoy your trip
#5 May 28th, 2010, 12:29
Join Date:
Mar 2005
Location:
Delhi & Vashist, Manali
Posts:
471
Send a message via Yahoo to Styler
  • Styler is offline
#5
Thanks a lot Mitra, Indizen, and Sunny.

Sunny,I think that tip to take the Dhar Road to bypass Jammu will be really helpful. Thanks a lot.

I am also considering JKDTC Hotel Heemal on bouleward road for 1/2 Nights at 3,000 a night. Any feedback on this hotel, is it next to Dal lake ?

I am also considering that I stay in Srinagar 1 Night, and next Night at Sonmarg. It will be shorter to drive to Kargil from Sonmarg.

Can anybody give me approximate distance and travel time from Srinagar to Sonmarg, and Sonmarg to Kargil ?


BTW my mother spent her childhood years studying in Srinagar. My Nanaji had a big house near Nishat Bagh in Srinagar, and we still have a Big house at Rehari Chungi on main BC Road, opp National Garage in Jammu. I will bypass Jammu in this trip but I think it will be really nice to see Srinagar, about which I have heard so much from my mother.

Thanks a lot for the tips guys.
#6 May 28th, 2010, 15:15
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
srinagar
Posts:
1,514
  • sunnykashmir is offline
#6
hi
if you start early from sonamarg you can easily reach leh in the evening
#7 May 28th, 2010, 16:03
Join Date:
Mar 2005
Location:
Delhi & Vashist, Manali
Posts:
471
Send a message via Yahoo to Styler
  • Styler is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykashmir View Post hi
if you start early from sonamarg you can easily reach leh in the evening
Hi Sunny,

As I am traveling with kids I want to go as slow as possible.

I think we will take a call about stopping overnight at Kargil when we reach Kargil.

If the kids are upto it, we will carry on to Leh, else we stop at Kargil.

Do we book a hotel in Kargil (Hotel Siachin) in advance or do you think we will get a room if we walk in.

Thanks for your advice.

Best would be that we put your bike in our Scorpio and take you along

Amit
#8 May 28th, 2010, 16:58
Join Date:
Mar 2005
Location:
Delhi & Vashist, Manali
Posts:
471
Send a message via Yahoo to Styler
  • Styler is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykashmir View Post since you will be coming from delhi take dhar road from pathankot or lakhanpur you will byepass jammu and will save minimum 2 hrs journey yoo will come out at udhampur and patnitop is just 70kms from udhampur.
Hi Sunny,

I tried to trace the Pathankot or lakhanpur - Dhar - Udhampur Road on Google Maps.

I can see that Dhar is on the Pathankot - Dhalausi Road.
I do not see a left turn on this road going towards Bhaddu / Udhampur. It shows a road from Dalhousi to Udhampur via Bhaddu.
Does one have to go all the way to Dalhousi or there is a left turn before that.

Also I do see a Road to Udhampur taking a right on NH1A from Samba. How is this one ?

Thanks
Styler (Amit)
#9 May 28th, 2010, 20:51
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
srinagar
Posts:
1,514
  • sunnykashmir is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post Hi Sunny,

I tried to trace the Pathankot or lakhanpur - Dhar - Udhampur Road on Google Maps.

I can see that Dhar is on the Pathankot - Dhalausi Road.
I do not see a left turn on this road going towards Bhaddu / Udhampur. It shows a road from Dalhousi to Udhampur via Bhaddu.
Does one have to go all the way to Dalhousi or there is a left turn before that.

Also I do see a Road to Udhampur taking a right on NH1A from Samba. How is this one ?

Thanks
Styler (Amit)
Hi
dont get confused simply when you cross madhopur bridge, after 100 meters from the bridge there is a right turn, take that turn it passes thru army location and will take you to dhar road starting point near ranjit sagar dam.from there udhampur is approximately 110 kms,
#10 May 28th, 2010, 20:52
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
srinagar
Posts:
1,514
  • sunnykashmir is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post Hi Sunny,

As I am traveling with kids I want to go as slow as possible.

I think we will take a call about stopping overnight at Kargil when we reach Kargil.

If the kids are upto it, we will carry on to Leh, else we stop at Kargil.

Do we book a hotel in Kargil (Hotel Siachin) in advance or do you think we will get a room if we walk in.

Thanks for your advice.

Best would be that we put your bike in our Scorpio and take you along

Amit
i recomend instead of staying in kargil you should stay in Mulbeck which is around 40kms from kargil
#11 May 29th, 2010, 00:03
Join Date:
Mar 2005
Location:
Delhi & Vashist, Manali
Posts:
471
Send a message via Yahoo to Styler
  • Styler is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykashmir View Post i recomend instead of staying in kargil you should stay in Mulbeck which is around 40kms from kargil
Thanks Sunny
#12 Jun 1st, 2010, 19:16
Join Date:
Mar 2005
Location:
Delhi & Vashist, Manali
Posts:
471
Send a message via Yahoo to Styler
  • Styler is offline
#12
Hi,

I am about to book with JKTDC for Patnitop and Sonmarg, and Srinagar.

In Patnitop the Huts are expensive at 3000-6000 a room, a night.
The option that we can afford is Deluxe rooms in Hotel Alpine Deluxe, or Hotel Maple (Pine View). Both these are at the same price of Rs 1,500 a night.
Any idea which would be better ?

In Srinagar, Hotel Hemal is 3000 a night. Anybody has any feedback on this ? Would a Houseboat be a better option for Srinagar. We are there for only 1 night.

In Sonmarg too the Huts are really expensive at 6,000 but there are Double Rooms in Tourist Bunglow is Rs 2000 a night.

Styler
#13 Jun 1st, 2010, 19:27
Join Date:
Mar 2005
Location:
Delhi & Vashist, Manali
Posts:
471
Send a message via Yahoo to Styler
  • Styler is offline
#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykashmir View Post i recomend instead of staying in kargil you should stay in Mulbeck which is around 40kms from kargil
Hi Sunny,

Would there be any Decent Hotels with rooms with attached baths in Mulbeck. Could you just recommend any with the contact info ?

Styler
#14 Jun 3rd, 2010, 22:55
Join Date:
Mar 2005
Location:
Delhi & Vashist, Manali
Posts:
471
Send a message via Yahoo to Styler
  • Styler is offline
#14
Ok I've booked JKTDC in Patnitop and Sonmarg, and a Houseboat with Mr Bashir of Peacock Houseboats in Srinagar. Thanks for all the help.

Can anybody give an update on the Sonmarg Leh Road ? Is it open for the last few days ?
#15 Jun 3rd, 2010, 23:04
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
srinagar
Posts:
1,514
  • sunnykashmir is offline
#15
hi
yes the road is open as of now

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Road trip from Manali to Leh to Kashmir Mar 24th, 2009 00:58 23 7171 Ladakh & Zanskar
Driving through Delhi - Kashmir -Leh -Manali. Feb 12th, 2009 16:08 21 12163 Jammu & Kashmir


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success