Time to introduce myself.

#16 Jan 8th, 2019, 22:43
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,808
  • Nick-H is offline
#16

Time to introduce myself.

You can always ask!

Sometimes, when people want help at the beginning of a project, of it feels like rusty have not done their own homework, they won't get answers. But if it feels like they have, maybe answers may come. Or people might tell you that you're asking the wrong questions.

That's the internet, not just IM. As you probably know. And... Even when we are being unkind here, we do it moderately gently!
~
Life gets aadhar every day.
.
#17 Jan 8th, 2019, 23:18
Join Date:
Dec 2018
Location:
Singapore
Posts:
29
  • Darkweenduck1 is offline
#17
Okay, I'll follow your advice.

Well for starters, I want to test out how much reach videos similar to mine would have among an Indian market. To do this I would be sharing videos from my friends channel on some Indian only communities to see their responses. Based on their reaction, I could shape how I'd go about creating and releasing my own content.

The other thing is I need a little help translating something to Hindi.
#18 Jan 8th, 2019, 23:21
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,808
  • Nick-H is offline
#18
Lots of polyglots here! But, according to your location, you can't be very far away from the nearest speaker of the Indian language of your choice!
#19 Jan 9th, 2019, 02:11
Join Date:
Dec 2018
Location:
Singapore
Posts:
29
  • Darkweenduck1 is offline
#19
Perhaps but I'm not connected with them. I'll make a suitable thread on the right section of this forum asking for help with the translation and see if it helps.
#20 Jan 9th, 2019, 02:49
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,566
  • nycank is offline
#20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkweenduck1 View Post Hello forum, I'm new here. I'm presently living in Singapore but planning to move to India soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkweenduck1 View Post Thanks for the info guys. Okay so I'm working on a youtube channel in which I'll be going around India Interviewing local women about various topics.
Well well well !!! As any long time non-citizen members on IndiaMike will warn you; there are problems in doing what you want to do !

If you apply for a tourist visa, and go about doing unstructured interviews, which maybe allowed iff, you are on a research, or journalist visa. After all, Youtube™ channels are revenue generating monetized content not allowed under T&Cs of the tourist visa.

Be aware of potential snafus, and enjoy your stay in India.
#21 Jan 9th, 2019, 03:46
Join Date:
Dec 2018
Location:
Singapore
Posts:
29
  • Darkweenduck1 is offline
#21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycank View Post Well well well !!! As any long time non-citizen members on IndiaMike will warn you; there are problems in doing what you want to do !

If you apply for a tourist visa, and go about doing unstructured interviews, which maybe allowed iff, you are on a research, or journalist visa. After all, Youtube™ channels are revenue generating monetized content not allowed under T&Cs of the tourist visa.

Be aware of potential snafus, and enjoy your stay in India.
I don't intend to monetize my youtube channel any time soon. One would need at least 1000 subscribers AND 4000 hours of view time within 12 months to even be eligible for that.
#22 Jan 9th, 2019, 03:48
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,566
  • nycank is offline
#22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkweenduck1 View Post I don't intend to monetize my youtube channel any time soon. One would need at least 1000 subscribers AND 4000 hours of view time within 12 months to even be eligible for that.
While that is true, go try convincing the I/O (Immigration Officer), this strategy is fraught with peril.
#23 Jan 9th, 2019, 04:14
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,808
  • Nick-H is offline
#23
I wonder how many tens of thousands of tourists chat with locals and film them?

None the less, nycank's warning is timely. There are special visa types for journalists, researchers, students, etc, and it is an area of sensitivity . Looking, behaving or even smelling like a journalist, or a researcher, without the right visa and project approval, would be a serious matter.

So... about this casual, vlogging, touristy thing you are going to do, which does not touch on any potentially sensitive areas relating to sociology, religion, etc etc.... right?
#24 Jan 9th, 2019, 08:43
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,566
  • nycank is offline
#24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post I wonder how many tens of thousands of tourists chat with locals and film them?
Few months ago, I visited and stayed with old family friends at BHU faculty housing. Mornings we watched many a tourists take handheld videos of vendors, pilgrims etc along the ghats. That's considered a tourist activity. However..

This is different, getting a fixer (as it's called in the parlance). Fixers are part translators, part gofers, part defensive end, protecting the client.
Fixer make smoothen and pave the way, so that you can do your job.
Fixers also talk, and talk they do ! Sometimes fixers experience extreme cognitive-dissonance. Not in India, but in another country, it had a potential to get dicey !
#25 Jan 9th, 2019, 11:47
Join Date:
Dec 2018
Location:
Singapore
Posts:
29
  • Darkweenduck1 is offline
#25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycank View Post Fixers also talk, and talk they do ! Sometimes fixers experience extreme cognitive-dissonance. Not in India, but in another country, it had a potential to get dicey !
What do you mean?
#26 Jan 9th, 2019, 11:51
Join Date:
Dec 2018
Location:
Singapore
Posts:
29
  • Darkweenduck1 is offline
#26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post I wonder how many tens of thousands of tourists chat with locals and film them?

None the less, nycank's warning is timely. There are special visa types for journalists, researchers, students, etc, and it is an area of sensitivity . Looking, behaving or even smelling like a journalist, or a researcher, without the right visa and project approval, would be a serious matter.

So... about this casual, vlogging, touristy thing you are going to do, which does not touch on any potentially sensitive areas relating to sociology, religion, etc etc.... right?
I'm not a journalist. I have no financial backers or sponsors. Just a person who wants to show real stories about real lives. I do this mostly just for myself and to perhaps spread awareness. Nothing more.

I get what you're saying, that in India, if I want to play it safe and not extorted by some corrupt official, I should protect my rear with the right Visa. With that in mind, how hard is it to get the right visa for what I want to do and it expensive?

Once I have the right Visa, am I allowed to ask heavier questions sociology etc? Not that this is my real focus, but I would like to know if I could speak freely or not?
#27 Jan 9th, 2019, 12:29
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,808
  • Nick-H is offline
#27

Time to introduce myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkweenduck1 View Post What do you mean?
Some of us have spent years wondering what nycank means

It is often worry trying to figure it out.

I have no clue whether what you want to do will just sink into the background of curious tourist chatting to locals... Or not.

Equipment used to be an indicator. But these days every camera is a video camera, heck, even phones are.

This is not N Korea. Tourists don't have minders, you won't be followed around, and nobody will notice if you dive down a back Street rather than into the gift shop.

Guides are a thing. Staying with Indian friends is a thing. So wandering around with a local, who translates for you, might also blend into the background.

So much depends on the the how, who, what, where... Which we don't know.

So maybe tell a bit more, see what responses you get, and balance them out
#28 Jan 9th, 2019, 17:14
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,566
  • nycank is offline
#28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkweenduck1 View Post Hello forum, I'm new here. I'm presently living in Singapore but planning to move to India soon.
Just curious, what pass do you have ? And how long have you been living in S'pore ?
#29 Jan 9th, 2019, 17:32
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,566
  • nycank is offline
#29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post I have no clue whether what you want to do will just sink into the background of curious tourist chatting to locals... Or not.

Equipment used to be an indicator. But these days every camera is a video camera, heck, even phones are.
I think, with a P < 0.05 I can spot a non-tourist from a tourist in a non-tourist milieu, not just in India, but countries I have gone on work, and I am not remotely in an LEA related biznes.

Casual tourists will not venture out of their "safe zones". Intentionality (types of visa aside) reflects in many non-verbal ways.
#30 Jan 9th, 2019, 17:36
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,808
  • Nick-H is offline
#30
Quote:
I think, with a P < 0.05 I can spot a non-tourist from a tourist in a non-tourist milieu
I passed a group of classical musicians nearly getting run over, the other day. I thought, "They look like Indians, but they walk and talk like foreigners." And it wasn't an obvious accent.

But what you say about safe zones applies to a certain kind of tourist, maybe newbies, for instance. That was me as a newbie in India! Others who come here, adventures, heading for an adventure location, are not only bold about dashing down a side street, but may well rush in where angels fear to tread.

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
About time to introduce myself Nov 9th, 2007 22:56 20 2644 Introduce Yourself
Time has come to introduce myself May 12th, 2005 20:50 16 2449 Introduce Yourself


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success