Hello to fellow travelers

#31 Aug 10th, 2018, 16:17
Join Date:
Apr 2009
Location:
Almora
Posts:
6,531
  • jituyadav is offline
#31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfot2 View Post Yes, and TD's comment carries the day. Or perhaps you think loss of job and livelihood, not to mention possible imprisonment, are inconsequential.
Ok, sorry TD, I misunderstood your point.

So basically people who were sympathetic to communist, or 'fellow travellers' lost their jobs etc because of the views they held. And anyone could be branded fellow traveler and discriminated against, like what is happening with the term 'cow smugglers' here, right?

Anyway, I just don't get the whole idea of being sensitive to a perfectly legitimate long used phrase just because someone used it in a derogatory way. People would have still suffered if they were called anything else too, it is their views that brought disdain, not a term.

As I said, if it had been a specific word created for the purpose, fine, but 'fellow traveller', meh. I will go along with 'I cannot get it' stuff and end it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post TV programmes of the following decade or two, are familiar with the words are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the communist party? Check it out.
I am familiar with 'commie, and here is Seinfeld;


If you find my posts confrontationist, please bear, I am an old frustrated guy who has nothing better to do than sit on rocking chair and curse the world whole day
#32 Aug 11th, 2018, 02:22
Join Date:
Aug 2018
Location:
Ahmedabad
Posts:
5
  • indianboy83 is offline
#32
Well, I thought that this issue was being dragged unnecessarily as I didn't know the term and I didn't mean to hurt anyone. But looking at the link from your comment I realized where you are coming from. Looking at your profile, it didn't appear that you would have made a meaningless comment either. So no issues. :-) In fact I came to know something new. 👍 But I would like to add that Mr Jitu Yadav has echoed what I felt.
#33 Aug 11th, 2018, 06:38
Join Date:
Oct 2009
Location:
NOTTINGHAM
Posts:
1,316
  • OldandRambling is offline
#33
Certainly, as a socialist myself, I was fully aware of the term, and indeed first wondered if the OP was fishing for "friends"

Sadly, in some parts of the world, such as America, being a left winger is seen as worse than being the devil himself...

To the OP I say just ignore us all, and enjoy your travels!

Ed
#34 Aug 11th, 2018, 08:38
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
Vermont
Posts:
14,112
  • hfot2 is offline
#34
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldandRambling View Post Certainly, as a socialist myself, I was fully aware of the term, and indeed first wondered if the OP was fishing for "friends" ...
To the OP I say just ignore us all, and enjoy your travels!

Ed
With you so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldandRambling View Post Sadly, in some parts of the world, such as America, being a left winger is seen as worse than being the devil himself...
Here we part company. Not all Americans would agree with that characterization.
That orange-haired son-of-a-bitch might, but not all of us voted for him. In fact, most of us didn't.
Walt Whitman - Song of Myself

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
#35 Aug 11th, 2018, 14:27
Join Date:
Oct 2009
Location:
NOTTINGHAM
Posts:
1,316
  • OldandRambling is offline
#35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfot2 View Post With you so far.

Here we part company. Not all Americans would agree with that characterization.
That orange-haired son-of-a-bitch might, but not all of us voted for him. In fact, most of us didn't.
I apologise for such a sweeping characterisation, but the vehement posts about the dangers of being called a "fellow traveller" in America seem to indicate that being a left winger was somewhat worse than even not being a Christian!

Ed.
#36 Aug 11th, 2018, 14:53
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
69,906
  • Nick-H is offline
#36

Hello to fellow travelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianboy83 View Post Well, I thought that this issue was being dragged unnecessarily ...
Indeed!

I do think that your positive comments about Indiamike are true. Obviously you have taken a look around the site and discovered that. I hope you will bear with some of our quirks too... Like making two words into a tangent! The Indian expression might be "We are like this only."

Please excuse!
~
Life gets aadhar every day.
.
#37 Aug 11th, 2018, 19:57
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
Vermont
Posts:
14,112
  • hfot2 is offline
#37
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldandRambling View Post I apologise for such a sweeping characterisation, but the vehement posts about the dangers of being called a "fellow traveller" in America seem to indicate that being a left winger was somewhat worse than even not being a Christian!

Ed.
Troops were sent off to the Korean war by supporters bearing banners that read "Kill a Commie for Christ." God bless America,/ Land that I love...
#38 Aug 11th, 2018, 21:16
Join Date:
Jan 2010
Location:
North Rhine-Westphalia
Posts:
6,959
  • Golghar is offline
#38
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Hello My Dear fellow Travelers Dec 1st, 2015 02:46 3 763 Introduce Yourself
Fellow travelers for Sep 26th, 2014 23:25 0 739 Uttarakhand
Looking for fellow travelers Feb 17th, 2014 20:33 9 1172 India Travel Partners
Hello to fellow travelers & explorers Jul 16th, 2010 12:17 5 836 Introduce Yourself
Hello Fellow Travelers! Jan 16th, 2010 09:37 5 1021 Introduce Yourself


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success