Winter 2011 : In search of Undocumented Wildcats

#1 Nov 22nd, 2011, 01:25
Join Date:
Dec 2010
Location:
Nagpur
Posts:
128
  • abheekg is offline
#1
Dear Friends,

Apart from my travels in Pench and Tadoba to document the Tigers of these 2 parks, I have decided to travel to some lesser visited tiger habitats in central India this winter (2011). I will update about my travels in this thread here.

In this album I will present some of the remarkable scenes that I come across during my search.

Destination 1 : Pench Maharashtra :

The circle of life and death.
Photographed somewhere along the rapids of a river crisscrossing though prime Tiger habitat.
Name:  IMG_1256.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  19.4 KB

Pench Maharashtra - the other part of the Pench biosphere across the Pench river is a superb habitat for not only tigers but for a lot of other species.

I will present the grandeur of Pench Maharashtra in the next few posts before going over to other destinations.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
www.facebook.com/abheekg
Last edited by aarosh; May 2nd, 2012 at 14:58..
#2 Nov 22nd, 2011, 12:42
Join Date:
Dec 2005
Location:
Mumbai, India
Posts:
3,662
  • shahronakm is offline
#2
Will be keenly following this thread.

Ronak.
#3 Nov 22nd, 2011, 12:45
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
NCR
Posts:
14,863
  • vaibhav_arora is offline
#3
Outstanding shot - Dr G
#4 Nov 22nd, 2011, 13:05
Join Date:
Feb 2009
Location:
Ahmedabad
Posts:
291
  • wind_chariot is offline
#4
Abheek da...

How about shifting focus from tigers to other Wildcats? You can focus on other big cats such as lions or leopards or clouded leopards for a season (snow leopard sightings are extremely rare in wild as well). Or else, other very rarely documented wildcats such as caracal, golden cat, leopard cat, eurasian lynx, marbled cat etc. It would be a pleasant change from tiger-centric wildlife conservation efforts.

please do not take it in wrong way. I am very fond of tigers, they are majestic animals and know the importance of their survival in wild. But, i felt other cats are getting ignored because of it.

Hope other people have more to say on this, or feel or oppose similar views.
“Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.” - Paul Theroux
#5 Nov 25th, 2011, 16:03
Join Date:
Jun 2009
Location:
Hazyview South Africa
Posts:
642
Send a message via Skype™ to happyarun
  • happyarun is offline
#5
abheek i agree with wind chariot. lot of other felines are neglected. i guess they only have themselves to blame they are exclusively nocturnal. ha! but still would be good to look for these others.
#6 Dec 27th, 2011, 05:13
Join Date:
Oct 2009
Location:
USA
Posts:
70
  • atravelynn is offline
#6
Wonderful shot!
#7 Dec 29th, 2011, 15:35
Join Date:
Nov 2011
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
110
  • Roxy is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_chariot View Post Abheek da...

How about shifting focus from tigers to other Wildcats? You can focus on other big cats such as lions or leopards or clouded leopards for a season (snow leopard sightings are extremely rare in wild as well). Or else, other very rarely documented wildcats such as caracal, golden cat, leopard cat, eurasian lynx, marbled cat etc. It would be a pleasant change from tiger-centric wildlife conservation efforts.

Hope other people have more to say on this, or feel or oppose similar views.
@Wind chariot: Agree. It will be most thrilling & interesting to know about the other cats as well...as well as their conservation status. For example, the marbled cats that you mentioned; there are believed to be about only 10,000 of these cats. Hopefully we won't wait until their numbers reach a 1000 to start conversation efforts.
Here is an interesting link about the wild cats in India: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...rest-pictures/
According to this article, there were 7 cat species spotted in the Jeypore-Dehing rainforest of Assam which is a record.
Link to my trip report on Gir at http://www.indiamike.com/india/india...eview-t153275/
Link to my blog http://lovethewild.wordpress.com
Want to know where to find Tigers in India? Go to http://indiasendangered.com/best-pla...-india-part-1/[url]
Read about my census participation experience at http://indiasendangered.com/counting-animals-at-sanjay-gandhi-national-park/
#8 Dec 29th, 2011, 16:18
Join Date:
Feb 2009
Location:
Ahmedabad
Posts:
291
  • wind_chariot is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy View Post @Wind chariot: Agree. It will be most thrilling & interesting to know about the other cats as well...as well as their conservation status. For example, the marbled cats that you mentioned; there are believed to be about only 10,000 of these cats. Hopefully we won't wait until their numbers reach a 1000 to start conversation efforts.
Here is an interesting link about the wild cats in India: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...rest-pictures/
According to this article, there were 7 cat species spotted in the Jeypore-Dehing rainforest of Assam which is a record.
Tnanks for the link Roxy. Wow that forest has 7 wildcat species!! but also felt sad as it said the forest is threatened by oil, coal and logging companies! This is a threat which should be addressed. When such threats are concerning tigers, they will get wide media attention but at other forests, they get no attention!

We should give some long due attention to often-ignored mid-sized wildcats as well (caracal, golden cat, leopard cat, marbled cat, clouded leopard etc. are all mid-sized cats. They are bigger than a normal sized dog but smaller than a leopard (a big cat)).
#9 Dec 29th, 2011, 16:21
Join Date:
Aug 2010
Location:
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Posts:
1,522
  • saugata41 is offline
#9
Aha..another masterpiece in making!!
Wanderlust - My Travel Journals
Leave your footprint as a tiny but precious comment
#10 Dec 30th, 2011, 16:54
Join Date:
Aug 2011
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
27
  • pmarple is offline
#10
excellent capture...
#11 Jan 9th, 2012, 00:02
Join Date:
Jun 2009
Location:
Hazyview South Africa
Posts:
642
Send a message via Skype™ to happyarun
  • happyarun is offline
#11
ROXY has some awesome details to share. this lady's posts bear watching. thanks ROXY for the article.
#12 Jan 9th, 2012, 00:07
Join Date:
Feb 2009
Location:
Ahmedabad
Posts:
291
  • wind_chariot is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyarun View Post ROXY has some awesome details to share. this lady's posts bear watching. thanks ROXY for the article.
agreed happyarun...Roxy brought the whole MoEF report on cheetah rehabilitation, and talked to the lead researched on the project. Salute! I wonder whether Roxy is a journalist by profession haha
#13 Jan 9th, 2012, 15:57
Join Date:
Nov 2011
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
110
  • Roxy is offline
#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyarun View Post ROXY has some awesome details to share. this lady's posts bear watching. thanks ROXY for the article.
Thank you happyarun for your encouraging words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_chariot View Post agreed happyarun...Roxy brought the whole MoEF report on cheetah rehabilitation, and talked to the lead researched on the project. Salute! I wonder whether Roxy is a journalist by profession haha
Thanks wind_chariot. I am just an IT person (Yawn...zzz) by profession. But you could say that I am an aspiring wildlife conservationist And I must say that I am very glad to have found like minded people at IM!
#14 Jan 9th, 2012, 21:57
Join Date:
Feb 2009
Location:
Ahmedabad
Posts:
291
  • wind_chariot is offline
#14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy View Post Thank you happyarun for your encouraging words!



Thanks wind_chariot. I am just an IT person (Yawn...zzz) by profession. But you could say that I am an aspiring wildlife conservationist And I must say that I am very glad to have found like minded people at IM!
good luck for that then we really need some conservationists who are genuine and really want to help wildlife. even i find IM very helpful in finding like-minded people

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
BUDGET accommodation 2-3 months Kerala winter 2011 Dec 10th, 2011 09:46 8 1789 Kerala
Winter 2011-12 Itinerary: Help? May 5th, 2011 20:59 1 844 India Travel Itinerary Advice
SAF winter games 2011 at AULI Jan 12th, 2011 13:32 0 1082 Chai and Chat
leh in winter Jan 2011 Jan 5th, 2011 20:49 7 2232 Ladakh & Zanskar
Undocumented language found hidden in India Oct 7th, 2010 04:40 4 1784 Languages in India


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success