Tadoba - More than a tiger reserve

Reply
#16 May 12th, 2011, 00:47
Join Date:
Oct 2008
Location:
Preston England
Posts:
580
  • tripsammy is offline
#16
Welcome to IM. Great post and excellent pictures, thanks so much for sharing. Our main experience in Indian wildlife has been at Corbett which we loved. Only sorry I can't make the Save the Tiger walk there this month.
#17 May 12th, 2011, 14:37
Join Date:
May 2011
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
43
  • Safique is offline
#17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pas2005 View Post Beautiful Pictures Safique. I had a similar experience at Tadoba during my first visit. In 3 safaris no Tigers. But I saw the indian gaur, dholes, a sloth Bear and a fleeting glimpse of a Leopard & Lots of birds.On the second visit it was raining tigers, specially cubs, 7 of them. And it is a beautiful forest.
Yes indeed, its a beautiful forest. You have sighted tiger in the second visit is really a good news. This has boosted my confidence and will make a 2nd visit for sure.
Regards,
Safique
#18 May 12th, 2011, 15:24
Join Date:
May 2011
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
43
  • Safique is offline
#18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klompen View Post Fabulous pictures Safiqui....have you been to the Black Buck Sanctuary in Gujarat (Bhavnagar) or Khijadiya Bird Sanctuary (Jamnagar), both allow private vehicles and are well worth a visit.

http://www.indiamike.com/india/india...jarat-t134913/
Hi Klompen,

I've not visited Gujarat as yet, but dreaming Gir for a long time. In fact these two sanctuary highlighted by you came as a pleasant surprise for me. I'll certainly add them in my list when I'll go to Gir. I read your thread, very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
#19 May 12th, 2011, 15:52
Join Date:
May 2011
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
43
  • Safique is offline
#19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripsammy View Post Welcome to IM. Great post and excellent pictures, thanks so much for sharing. Our main experience in Indian wildlife has been at Corbett which we loved. Only sorry I can't make the Save the Tiger walk there this month.
Thank you Tripsammy - I read your thread on Corbett, excellent report on Corbett. I and my wife went to Corbett in 2005, but unfortunately for only one day on transit to Nainital and Manali. I trip was not justified to sight a Tiger - I guess and was not that lucky too.

Your report will help me planning a very detail tour to Corbett next time. Thanks for sharing.
#20 May 12th, 2011, 15:57
Join Date:
May 2011
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
43
  • Safique is offline
#20
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahronakm View Post I also saw the ST bus passing by, it must be for the villagers living inside or on the other side of the forest. Regarding guides I have seen some of them telling visitors not to litter, not to shout etc., but then the local tourist hardly listen to them. I saw a Maruti van playing loud music inside the park when we were nicely watching a pack of dholes, who all got distrubed & ran deep inside the forest. Hope the forest department bans Pvt. vehicles as early as possible.

@Safique, would request you to confirm your participation on the Mumbai meet up thread. This time I am looking forward to record no. of Imers at the meet up.

Ronak.
Yes Ronak, I replied in that thread and confirmed my presence on June 3rd.

See you there.
#21 May 12th, 2011, 18:12
Join Date:
Dec 2005
Location:
Mumbai, India
Posts:
3,654
  • shahronakm is offline
#21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safique View Post Yes Ronak, I replied in that thread and confirmed my presence on June 3rd.

See you there.
I saw your confirmation on Mumbai meet up thread. Thanks.
See you on 3 rd June.

Ronak.
#22 May 12th, 2011, 18:16
Join Date:
Dec 2005
Location:
Mumbai, India
Posts:
3,654
  • shahronakm is offline
#22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safique View Post Thank you Tripsammy - I read your thread on Corbett, excellent report on Corbett. I and my wife went to Corbett in 2005, but unfortunately for only one day on transit to Nainital and Manali. I trip was not justified to sight a Tiger - I guess and was not that lucky too.

Your report will help me planning a very detail tour to Corbett next time. Thanks for sharing.
Like you me & wife also went to Corbett in Feb 2005. We were on a 20 days tour of Uttarakhand & stayed in Dhikala FRH for just one night & hardly saw anything. But after going through tripsammy's report on Corbett went to the place for six nights. Will write a trip report in days to come.

Ronak.
#23 May 12th, 2011, 21:56
Join Date:
May 2011
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
43
  • Safique is offline
#23
Quote:
Originally Posted by snonymous View Post Wonderful post and beautiful pictures.
You have some of the breathtaking flowers pictures. will explore more in your album for sure.
#24 May 13th, 2011, 02:07
Join Date:
Oct 2005
Location:
France
Posts:
259
  • didindia7 is offline
#24
Last april, on 5 days and 9 safaris, I saw tigers every day at Tadoba, 5 safaris on 9 and 2 of them were more than excellent. I saw "my" youngest cub I had ever seen before (2 - 3 months old) and I had a sighting during 2h30.

I saw a sloth bear, dholes, muntjac (best pictures there as at Corbett).
Safaris are not so expensive there but it's difficult to find a lodge for a foreigner with a food not too spicy...
Last thing, drivers and guides seemed to be not so good compare to Bandhavgarh, Corbett, Kanha or Gir.
#25 May 13th, 2011, 21:19
Join Date:
May 2011
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
43
  • Safique is offline
#25
Quote:
Originally Posted by didindia7 View Post Last april, on 5 days and 9 safaris, I saw tigers every day at Tadoba, 5 safaris on 9 and 2 of them were more than excellent. I saw "my" youngest cub I had ever seen before (2 - 3 months old) and I had a sighting during 2h30.

I saw a sloth bear, dholes, muntjac (best pictures there as at Corbett).
Safaris are not so expensive there but it's difficult to find a lodge for a foreigner with a food not too spicy...
Last thing, drivers and guides seemed to be not so good compare to Bandhavgarh, Corbett, Kanha or Gir.
Our guide also mentioned that a tigress with few cubs often used to come even close to the vehicles sometime back. You were definitely so fortunate to sight them so many times. I'll certainly visit next time soon and will report my fate here :-)
#26 May 13th, 2011, 21:40
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
497
Send a message via Skype™ to Fundoo
  • Fundoo is offline
#26
been to Tadoba last month and it was mezmorising...your post took me back to that... planning for a Novemeber visit already

thanks for sharing the pics too.
#27 May 16th, 2011, 13:36
Join Date:
Dec 2010
Location:
Nagpur
Posts:
128
  • abheekg is offline
#27
Tadoba has definitely more to offer than just Tigers. Watch out for my thread on my explorations in tadoba over the last few years which i will be starting soon. To give you a sneek peek into what will come soon , do check my fb album on tadoba here m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150225092965582.45936 4.569205581&op=10&v&refid=29

The best part of tadoba apart from everything thats written here is that it remains open even during the monsoons. All the pics from the above album are from last monsoon.

Tadoba is accessible via Kolara gate, nearest rail and air head at nagpur 100kms away and via moharli gate at chandrapur.

In the last 1 year, there have been considerable development of good resorts catering to indians and foreigners alike at both gates.

Easiest approach is via kolara gate near nagpur. Quality of knowledge of guides has also imporved. My NGO 'Wildcats nature club' is active in tadoba as in pench, whose documentation is here indiamike.com/india/indian-wildlife-and-national-parks-f74/documenting-the-growth-of-5-tiger-cubs-in-pench-tiger-reserve-2011-2013-a-t131804/5/

There are certain bad aspects of tadoba which i am enumerating here team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/101027-tadoba-tiger-resrve-restarting-explorations-bang.html including villages inside the park, entry to private vehicles, tiger killings....

Its good to see Tadoba coming up on the wildlife map of india.

Lastly, it was a pleasure interacting with you Shafique the other day and waiting to meet you soon.

Dr. A Ghosh
#28 May 16th, 2011, 17:42
Join Date:
May 2011
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
43
  • Safique is offline
#28
Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post Tadoba has definitely more to offer than just Tigers. Watch out for my thread on my explorations in tadoba over the last few years which i will be starting soon. To give you a sneek peek into what will come soon , do check my fb album on tadoba here m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150225092965582.45936 4.569205581&op=10&v&refid=29

The best part of tadoba apart from everything thats written here is that it remains open even during the monsoons. All the pics from the above album are from last monsoon.

Tadoba is accessible via Kolara gate, nearest rail and air head at nagpur 100kms away and via moharli gate at chandrapur.

In the last 1 year, there have been considerable development of good resorts catering to indians and foreigners alike at both gates.

Easiest approach is via kolara gate near nagpur. Quality of knowledge of guides has also imporved. My NGO 'Wildcats nature club' is active in tadoba as in pench, whose documentation is here indiamike.com/india/indian-wildlife-and-national-parks-f74/documenting-the-growth-of-5-tiger-cubs-in-pench-tiger-reserve-2011-2013-a-t131804/5/

There are certain bad aspects of tadoba which i am enumerating here team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/101027-tadoba-tiger-resrve-restarting-explorations-bang.html including villages inside the park, entry to private vehicles, tiger killings....

Its good to see Tadoba coming up on the wildlife map of india.

Lastly, it was a pleasure interacting with you Shafique the other day and waiting to meet you soon.

Dr. A Ghosh
Yeah - crocs hunting spotted dear was thrilling picture. The part is susceptible to more man-animal conflict in future which I eventually felt, and I'll report some evidence of conflict (villager stuck a Tigress with a sword) I've got in Tadoba during my visit, soon. It was pleasure talking to you Abheek.
#29 Dec 29th, 2011, 19:54
Join Date:
May 2011
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
43
  • Safique is offline
#29
Updating the thread with the joy of finally sighting the Tigers during my second trip this Dec 2011.

Ookhan appearing:
Name:  _DSC4994.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  58.5 KB
Popularly known as Ookhan (Sher-Khan) now a days, appeared as bold as his size, slight hesitation before crossing the road which was completely blocked by forest and tourist vehicle - but he was firm, came out, sniffed the newly gifted rapid action forest vehicle deployed for his protection and made his way rubbing shoulder against few vehicles, but his female partner remained shy and didn’t come out. This fella is showing sign of big celebrity in making at TATR….watch OOkhan. Early morning shot, got low shutter speed and focusing was difficult, sorry for the shaky images

Ookhan - last look before disappearing
Name:  _DSC5007.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  55.6 KB
He was too close, early morning and somehow I missed an opportunity to click him well with a shorter lens. But this guy is likely to engage shutter bugs intensely in near future as he appeared quite bold
Name:  _DSC5024.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  49.9 KB
#30 Dec 30th, 2011, 15:45
Join Date:
Aug 2011
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
27
  • pmarple is offline
#30
awesome pictures..
Reply

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success