From Baroda to Sasan Gir

#1 Feb 21st, 2014, 12:13
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
India
Posts:
82
  • touring_manali is offline
#1
hi all,




wanted to know if anyone has ever been to sasan gir by road on this route? we are planning to go to sasan gir from baroda by road. just got this route from the google map, don't know if the road is good. the distance shown is 386 kms., and travel time shown is 7 hours, which i think is too long to cover this distance.

would be helpful if anyone can help about it.

regards,

#2 Feb 21st, 2014, 15:50
Join Date:
Jan 2010
Location:
London (UK) (Current) & Pali Hill, Bombay (IN)
Posts:
8,835
  • ViShVa is offline
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring_manali View Post ...the distance shown is 386 kms., and travel time shown is 7 hours, which i think is too long to cover this distance...
The average motoring speed on normal roads in India works out at 50-60 km/hour. For 386km, 7 hours is par for the course.

I think it will be much faster and you will get better roads if you take the longer route on the Rajkot-Ahmedabad Highway - NH-8A / NH-8B via Rajkot, Gondal, Jetpur and Junagadh. The road is far better than the one you will get if you turn off at Limbdi, as shown on on your map.

I would confirm the latest road conditions with a Baroda cab company, as those guys cover that routes on a routine basis.
#3 Feb 21st, 2014, 17:30
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
India
Posts:
82
  • touring_manali is offline
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViShVa View Post The average motoring speed on normal roads in India works out at 50-60 km/hour. For 386km, 7 hours is par for the course.

I think it will be much faster and you will get better roads if you take the longer route on the Rajkot-Ahmedabad Highway - NH-8A / NH-8B via Rajkot, Gondal, Jetpur and Junagadh. The road is far better than the one you will get if you turn off at Limbdi, as shown on on your map.

I would confirm the latest road conditions with a Baroda cab company, as those guys cover that routes on a routine basis.
thanks vishwa for your inputs. do you suggest we take this route to Gir via Rajkot? it shows 428 kms around 40 kms more than the previous route.

#4 Feb 21st, 2014, 17:52
Join Date:
Jan 2010
Location:
London (UK) (Current) & Pali Hill, Bombay (IN)
Posts:
8,835
  • ViShVa is offline
#4
That's the one. Yes it is longer but the road is much better because it is a National Highway and the speeds will be decent. It will be kinder on your car too. As I said, consult a cab-company in Baroda for the latest road conditions and their recommendations. I'll wager they would go this route.

-----------
ETA - TIP
-----------
When you want to attach a picture, click on "Go Advanced">Attachments>(in the pop-up window)>Browse for the image on your hard drive>upload
#5 Feb 21st, 2014, 19:49
Join Date:
May 2007
Location:
India
Posts:
82
  • touring_manali is offline
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViShVa View Post That's the one. Yes it is longer but the road is much better because it is a National Highway and the speeds will be decent. It will be kinder on your car too. As I said, consult a cab-company in Baroda for the latest road conditions and their recommendations. I'll wager they would go this route.

-----------
ETA - TIP
-----------
When you want to attach a picture, click on "Go Advanced">Attachments>(in the pop-up window)>Browse for the image on your hard drive>upload
thanks for the info and tip vishwa.

is there a way to book sinh sadan at gir? i went through other sites and the tourists mentions that there is no way one can book online, is it so? what are other options for staying at gir? we are not looking for a luxurious place to stay.
#6 Jan 7th, 2015, 11:19
Join Date:
Jan 2015
Location:
Vadodara
Posts:
1
  • rajeevK is offline
#6
Went to Sasan Gir from Vadodara in dec 2014. Distance is 500 kms. via Rajkot-Junagadh which is longer but road conditions are good. Other shorter routes have bad stretches of road and is better avoided. It took us 11 hrs to cover this distance which includes stoppages for breakfast, lunch, snacks and tea etc. We were a group of 13 in self driven 3 cars. If you are not fussy, food should not be a problem on thep way. The route followed was: Vadodara-Ahmedabad (SP ring road)-Rajkot-Junagadh-Mendarda-Sasan Gir. Take the Vadodara -Ahmedabad expressway. Few kms before the expressway ends, take a left turn for Rajkot/Sarkhej (distinct road sign). This turn takes you to Sardar Patel Ring road. At Sanathal crossing on SP ring road, take left turn to go to Rajkot via Limbdi and Chotila, and then to Junagadh. Take the Junagadh University road to reach Mendarda via SONARDI and then to Sasan Gir. Road upto Junagadh is very good and one can reach speeds of 110 kms/hr. Road from Junagadh to Mendarda via SONARDI is also good. The segment of road from Mendarda to Sasan Gir is not good. We took the help of Google Maps for directions which is better than some of the road maps of Gujarat. By the way, Somnath is 46 kms from Sasan Gir and the road to Veraval/Somnath is very good.
Rajeev Mahajan

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
sasan gir Nov 26th, 2011 00:59 7 4516 Gujarat
Which is better Bandhavgarh or Sasan Gir Aug 24th, 2011 16:15 2 1575 Indian Wildlife and National Parks
Sasan Gir May 7th, 2011 12:51 2 2207 Chai and Chat
Sasan Gir Oct 1st, 2009 02:13 4 1922 Indian Wildlife and National Parks
Sasan GIr NP May 26th, 2008 00:19 11 4151 Indian Wildlife and National Parks


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success