Train Enquiries related to boarding

#1 Mar 16th, 2011, 16:17
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
hosur
Posts:
3
  • travelviki is offline
#1
hi, I have a ticket reserved from chennai to madurai boarding at Chengalpattu. Can i board the train in thambaram or Egmore if i am not able to make it to chengalpattu?
#2 Mar 16th, 2011, 16:25
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
UK
Posts:
16,662
  • steven_ber is offline
#2
Assuming that the Chengalpattu-Madurai quota is the same as the Chennai-Madurai quota (and it should be), then you can, but you'll have to pay the difference in the fare to the TTE on the train.
#3 Mar 16th, 2011, 19:13
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
hosur
Posts:
3
  • travelviki is offline
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_ber View Post Assuming that the Chengalpattu-Madurai quota is the same as the Chennai-Madurai quota (and it should be), then you can, but you'll have to pay the difference in the fare to the TTE on the train.
"pay extra"???
I have reserved from Chennai to Madurai(they have charged me for the total distance). Only Boarding is Chengalpattu as per ticket.

I have to pay extra if i board at an intermediate station(between chennai and chengalpattu)...!!!

Very bad yaar...
#4 Mar 16th, 2011, 22:25
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
UK
Posts:
16,662
  • steven_ber is offline
#4
OK, I didn't read the bit about the ticket being valid from Chennai.
#5 Mar 17th, 2011, 02:53
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
bombay
Posts:
754
  • faustus77 is offline
#5
trains at a glance page 253 pl read :can i change the boarding station
yes you can.all you have to do is submit a written request to the SM of the original boarding station or contact any computerised resrvation centre,at least 24 hours before the dep of the train.However no refund is permissible for the unused portion of the journey.the change of stion once made will be final i.e.in case the passenger has changed the boarding point,he/she will lose all rights to board the the train from the original boarding point.if found travelling without any proper authority to travel he/she will have to pay fare with penalty between original boarding poit to changed boarding point.
above is pretty clear.
it now depends if you have changed before.if not pl change boarding point to egmore.you are allowed only once.
this is as per rules.
rest is depends on the TTE and you
rgds
#6 Mar 17th, 2011, 03:08
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
UK
Posts:
16,662
  • steven_ber is offline
#6
I don't think an official change of boarding point is needed, this is similar to having Kalyan as the boarding point of a long distance train that starts from CST, there would be nobody booked from CST to Kalyan (or Egmore to Chengalpattu), so it's just a question of taking your seat a bit early.

All this is assuming it's not one of the 3 trains that starts north of Chennai, as somebody could be booked from Delhi (for example) to Chengalpattu, in that case, you couldn't take your seat till Chengalpattu
#7 Mar 19th, 2011, 00:25
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
3,796
  • dipyamanbasu is offline
#7
TTE can always hand over the empty berths to the RAC passengers, and/or otherwise to the WL'ed passengers.
However as you have correctly stated, like CSTM/Kalyan stations falling within a cluster of the main station, TTE usually waits for the next 1-2 stations for the passengers to board the train.
#8 Mar 21st, 2011, 15:48
Join Date:
May 2005
Location:
HYDERABAD
Posts:
4,269
  • vsp27759 is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelviki View Post hi, I have a ticket reserved from chennai to madurai boarding at Chengalpattu. Can i board the train in thambaram or Egmore if i am not able to make it to chengalpattu?

##You CANNOT, and if you do that, you are treated as Passenger Travelling Without Ticket" and penalised according to Rules, irrespective of the fact that you have initially paid Fare applicable for MS-MDU journey, with CGL as Boarding Point.

##Please go through the Circular at the following link:

http://www.indianrailways.gov.in/upl...-2k8/CC-45.pdf
#9 Mar 21st, 2011, 16:04
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
3,796
  • dipyamanbasu is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsp27759 View Post ##You CANNOT, and if you do that, you are treated as Passenger Travelling Without Ticket" and penalised according to Rules, irrespective of the fact that you have initially paid Fare applicable for MS-MDU journey, with CGL as Boarding Point.

##Please go through the Circular at the following link:

http://www.indianrailways.gov.in/upl...-2k8/CC-45.pdf
He can. All he needs to do is to get himself a General ticket while boarding at TBM (till CGL), explain the TTE about his problem, and thus he shouldn object. This is only if he wishes to travel in the same class. (TTE wud ask for the diff in fare).
OR else he can also board the General class and get back to the desired class once the train reaches CGL)
#10 Mar 21st, 2011, 16:23
Join Date:
May 2005
Location:
HYDERABAD
Posts:
4,269
  • vsp27759 is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipyamanbasu View Post He can. All he needs to do is to get himself a General ticket while boarding at TBM (till CGL),
##But he cannot travel with the ticket which he already booked. He need to purchase a fresh ticket and travel in Unreserved Coach,, because there is every possibility, that the Berth which he is supposed to occupy ex.CGL must have been allotted to some other passenger.

##If this allotment is NOT made, then he should try to "convince" the TTE and travel in the same Berth by paying the difference between Unreserved Class Fare and the Fare applicable to MS-CGL Journey for the Class in which he had a confirmed Berth.
#11 Mar 21st, 2011, 16:26
Join Date:
May 2005
Location:
HYDERABAD
Posts:
4,269
  • vsp27759 is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipyamanbasu View Post else he can also board the General class and get back to the desired class once the train reaches CGL)
##Most unfortunately, he did not mention the Number of the Train in which he had confirmed reservation ex.CGL. For record, almost in all the south bound trains ex.MS, the Unreserved Coaches would get packed in MS (Chennai Egmore) itself and perhaps, it could even be difficult to get out of the Coach in CGL.

##As I said, it all depends upon the Train and it's passing time at CGL.
#12 Mar 21st, 2011, 16:45
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
3,796
  • dipyamanbasu is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsp27759 View Post ##But he cannot travel with the ticket which he already booked. He need to purchase a fresh ticket and travel in Unreserved Coach,, because there is every possibility, that the Berth which he is supposed to occupy ex.CGL must have been allotted to some other passenger.

##If this allotment is NOT made, then he should try to "convince" the TTE and travel in the same Berth by paying the difference between Unreserved Class Fare and the Fare applicable to MS-CGL Journey for the Class in which he had a confirmed Berth.
Yes. It is always subjected to pax occupying the concerned berth. However, to my assumption, there shouldn be any bookings in any express/SF train for this short leg. I would prefer to take an UR coach for the same purpose.
#13 Mar 21st, 2011, 21:30
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
bombay
Posts:
754
  • faustus77 is offline
#13
just 1 more point
in the last 3 months i undertook 20+ train journeys.
except for 1 TTE who insisted on the original ID(which is mandatory) none of the others asked for it.more than half did not bother to see the photocopy.the rest were satisfied with a photocopy.
so if you come across a TTE who is a stickler for rules you can have problems.so when you a choice take the safer option.
rgds

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Boarding train on CKWL ticket Apr 14th, 2012 12:09 13 56946 Indian Railways
Boarding in 2 min (night train) Apr 5th, 2012 14:34 10 1969 Indian Railways
Boarding train at different station Dec 10th, 2011 13:27 12 27512 Indian Railways
train boarding Dec 8th, 2010 16:17 5 1558 India Travel Itinerary Advice


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success