Single traveller; delhi, agra & kolkata

#1 Aug 20th, 2008, 03:32
Join Date:
Aug 2008
Location:
England
Posts:
2
  • WestCountry is offline
#1
Hi
I arrive in Delhi mid-morning on 10th Dec. My idea is to head straight to Agra, stay overnight and spend the following early morning at the Taj Mahal before travelling back to Delhi late afternoon on the 11th, to spend the night and following day in Delhi.
I am flying out of Kolkata late at night on the 13th - so I would like to get a train from Delhi to Kolkata (possibly overnight on the 12th?), rather than fly there.
So, I'm travelling alone, and need help and advice - about the trains from Delhi to Agra (and back), and from Delhi to Kolkata - how I go about booking them (and I don't have an address in India!) and which class / type of train I should get, etc. Along with any other advice that is useful
All help very much appreciated. I tried to register on the train site but it failed!!
Thanks in advance
#2 Aug 20th, 2008, 03:51
Join Date:
Jun 2008
Location:
Toronto
Posts:
3,003
  • Hal is offline
#2
erail.in will get you the train info.
You can book online at irctc.com, there are many threads here about doing that with a foreign credit card.
#3 Aug 20th, 2008, 04:08
Join Date:
Feb 2007
Location:
Cymru
Posts:
1,170
  • Mickey S is offline
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCountry View Post So, I'm travelling alone, and need help and advice - about the trains from Delhi to Agra (and back), and from Delhi to Kolkata - how I go about booking them (and I don't have an address in India!) and which class / type of train I should get, etc.
All that information is available in the sticky threads elsewhere in the forum.
#4 Aug 20th, 2008, 08:34
Join Date:
May 2003
Location:
Northern California
Posts:
5,360
  • wonderwomanusa is offline
#4
That "overnight" train you'd like to take from Delhi to Kolkata will take AT LEAST 23 hours...probably longer if there is fog.

You might want to think about flights.
The map is not the territory. --Alfred Korzybski
#5 Aug 20th, 2008, 13:06
Join Date:
Feb 2007
Location:
Cymru
Posts:
1,170
  • Mickey S is offline
#5
Well... I wasn't going to reply further to a newbie who uses her first post to ask about how to get from Delhi to Agra ( ) but I have to correct wonderwoman's post.

There is a very fast overnight train (the Sealdah Rajdhani) that leaves Delhi at 16:30 and arrives Kolkata at 10:15 the next day.

But the OP's itinerary now looks like:

Day 1: Arrive Delhi mid-morning. Afternoon train to Agra.
Day 2: Taj Mahal. Late afternoon train back to Delhi.
Day 3: Morning sightseeing in Delhi. Afternoon train to Kolkata.
Day 4: Arrive Kolkata. Afternoon sightseeing. Fly home.

Why? Three half-days of sightseeing (which is not enough even to get one's bearings) and 24 hours on trains in 4 days.
#6 Aug 20th, 2008, 14:01
Join Date:
Aug 2008
Location:
England
Posts:
2
  • WestCountry is offline
#6
It's just a quick stop-over on the start of a 6 week holiday! Sorry!!
#7 Aug 21st, 2008, 09:23
Join Date:
May 2003
Location:
Northern California
Posts:
5,360
  • wonderwomanusa is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey S View Post Well... I wasn't going to reply further to a newbie who uses her first post to ask about how to get from Delhi to Agra ( ) but I have to correct wonderwoman's post.

There is a very fast overnight train (the Sealdah Rajdhani) that leaves Delhi at 16:30 and arrives Kolkata at 10:15 the next day.
Thanks, Mickey; I didn't see that one. My train reference material is 5 years old. Still, it's 18 hours -- a very long "overnight."
#8 Aug 21st, 2008, 13:14
Join Date:
Feb 2007
Location:
Cymru
Posts:
1,170
  • Mickey S is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwomanusa View Post Thanks, Mickey; I didn't see that one. My train reference material is 5 years old. Still, it's 18 hours -- a very long "overnight."
Yes, it is. I don't think the OP fully appreciates either the size of India or the very slow speed at which even its express trains travel.
#9 Aug 21st, 2008, 20:10
Join Date:
Jun 2008
Location:
Toronto
Posts:
3,003
  • Hal is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey S View Post Why? Three half-days of sightseeing (which is not enough even to get one's bearings) and 24 hours on trains in 4 days.
Perhaps they have an overwhelming desire to see the Taj?
If it was me, I'd go straight on to Kolkata and spend the whole time there.
#10 Aug 21st, 2008, 20:37
Join Date:
May 2006
Location:
New Delhi, India
Posts:
90
Send a message via Skype™ to bArFaNi
  • bArFaNi is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCountry View Post Hi
I arrive in Delhi mid-morning on 10th Dec. My idea is to head straight to Agra, stay overnight and spend the following early morning at the Taj Mahal before travelling back to Delhi late afternoon on the 11th, to spend the night and following day in Delhi.
Seems , everything back to back.. :-) flights/trains and road transport schdule in North India depends on fog condition during winters.
Assuming the weather will be clear when u arrive, its better to go Agra via road. There are some good bus services available from Delhi. Or in case your budget allows u to go via cab.. then its the best option. This way you can save time and local convence expenses in Delhi as well as in Agra. To and fro Delhi -Agra will be around 500 kms ( inclusive of local and fatehpur skiri ). Rates per km is around Rs 6 to Rs 7 depends which car u hire.

Rajdhani Express is the best train available for Kolkata from Delhi.

Or you can try air tickets in advance at http://www.cleartrip.com

Need any other help ?? Dilli waley always there

Cheers !!!
Vivek - Delhi

www.barfanibaba.com
#11 Aug 21st, 2008, 22:46
Join Date:
Feb 2007
Location:
Cymru
Posts:
1,170
  • Mickey S is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2004 View Post Perhaps they have an overwhelming desire to see the Taj?
If it was me, I'd go straight on to Kolkata and spend the whole time there.
A desire to see the Taj is understandable, but to try to fit in sightseeing in both Delhi and Kolkata too is way too ambitious. The OP would be spending almost all her time either on trains, heading to or from the station or packing/unpacking.

I'd just head to Agra on the first day, spend a whole day there and move on to Kolkata from Agra:

Day 1: Arrive Delhi mid-morning. Afternoon train to Agra.
Day 2: Day in Agra. Taj Mahal, Red Fort, Fatehpur Sikri.
Day 3: Early (06:45) train to Kolkata. Night on train.
Day 4: Arrive Kolkata 04:00. Day relaxing/sightseeing. Fly home.

But that is still a very rushed itinerary. Unfortunately, there isn't a more convenient train from Agra to Kolkata on a Friday.

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success