IRCTC next-gen e-ticketing website revamped!

#16 Jul 14th, 2018, 20:57
Join Date:
Jun 2010
Location:
West Yorks, UK
Posts:
850
  • spud is offline
#16
Hey guys.
Do you think it's safe to change your mobile number in the irctc site without 'crashing their entire booking system'?

What I mean is, it won't want me to go through the same farce as last year will it, linking my mobile, trying to pay a fee, praying it works, rinse, repeat..... My account is working, I just don't want them to send any SMS to an old phone. Just leave it??

It's also too early for me to book any 'real' tickets for next year, but I want to buy a cheap one to make sure my account stays live (Delhi to Agra - Sleeper Rs140 = Bargain!!).

Cheers
#17 Jul 14th, 2018, 21:35
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Kibbutz Hamadia. Israel
Posts:
1,163
  • dcamrass1 is offline
#17
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post Hey guys.
Do you think it's safe to change your mobile number in the irctc site without 'crashing their entire booking system'?

What I mean is, it won't want me to go through the same farce as last year will it, linking my mobile, trying to pay a fee, praying it works, rinse, repeat..... My account is working, I just don't want them to send any SMS to an old phone. Just leave it??

It's also too early for me to book any 'real' tickets for next year, but I want to buy a cheap one to make sure my account stays live (Delhi to Agra - Sleeper Rs140 = Bargain!!).

Cheers
Don't know if this helps:
I opened a new account ( May 2016) with Irctc using my real mobile number and new email (dumped the one with fake indian mobile No,)got a OTP SMS to my real mobile - 972-52-****** (Israel)
Did a trial booking to see all is O.K.
Got to the payment part, tried paying with no succsses, then found out one needs to be payed via Atom gateway (not sure what that is?).
What I eventialy found out:
In: >My profile choose :> Prefered bank list.
Window will open, with avialable banks, scroll down till find: International cards (Powered by ATOM).
Click on it and click on button "Add"
Will get a Table: S.No. -1. > Bank Name - International cards (Powered by ATOM. > Method of payment - Banks with RDS.
Just opened my account,all is O.K.
#18 Jul 15th, 2018, 02:52
Join Date:
Oct 2009
Location:
NOTTINGHAM
Posts:
1,519
  • OldandRambling is offline
#18
My instinct is to leave well alone, if it is working well now...

Not sure if you "need" to receive any further sms now, if you are correctly registered? (I use a printout as my ticket, rather than a smartphone, etc...)

Is it a requirement to use the system at intervals to keep it "live"?

Let us know what you decide, and how it works out for you...

Ed.

PS I applaude the step by step guide above, I can't even remember the hoops and twists I had to perform to register!

(Atom is simply a payment service, they handle the transaction, and they are set up for international cards too...)
#19 Jul 15th, 2018, 16:32
Join Date:
Jun 2010
Location:
West Yorks, UK
Posts:
850
  • spud is offline
#19
@dcamrass1 Yeah I had to go through pretty much the same steps last year too.. and I ended up having to create a brand new account using a NEW email and a NEW mobile (the mobile being the one I now want to change but might leave). Then there were problems with the ATOM payment, tried 3 cards before it would work.

@Ed. I might just leave the mobile alone then, you still get a printout from the desktop.. like last year? I don't know yet as I've yet to buy my test ticket. I'm assuming the *new* IRCTC site works flawlessly?

Cheers
#20 Jul 15th, 2018, 16:48
Join Date:
Oct 2009
Location:
NOTTINGHAM
Posts:
1,519
  • OldandRambling is offline
#20
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
@Ed. I might just leave the mobile alone then, you still get a printout from the desktop.. like last year? I don't know yet as I've yet to buy my test ticket. I'm assuming the *new* IRCTC site works flawlessly?

Cheers
Nobody knows, you might be the first tourist to brave it!

I think the old site still exists, I have not decided yet whether to visit India this year, so not tried to book any train tickets recently on any platform. (Pun intended )

PS If Cleartrip has the train I want, I book through them, it has always been simpler, but I believe they only have some trains listed...

Ed
#21 Jul 15th, 2018, 22:02
Join Date:
Aug 2010
Location:
United Kingdom
Posts:
961
  • ukdoctor is offline
#21
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldandRambling View Post My instinct is to leave well alone, if it is working well now...

Not sure if you "need" to receive any further sms now, if you are correctly registered? (I use a printout as my ticket, rather than a smartphone, etc...)

Is it a requirement to use the system at intervals to keep it "live"?

Let us know what you decide, and how it works out for you...

Ed.

PS I applaude the step by step guide above, I can't even remember the hoops and twists I had to perform to register!

(Atom is simply a payment service, they handle the transaction, and they are set up for international cards too...)

A few weeks ago, i managed to buy a few tickets using my irctc account created in 2008. I have not travelled on an Indian train since then. I think i might have logged in in 2012 and bought a ticket for a family member .

So I think regular login is not a requirement ..

PS: Bought tickets via cleartrip using my irctc username. I do not remember how i created the initial account..
#22 Jul 16th, 2018, 05:23
Join Date:
Jun 2010
Location:
West Yorks, UK
Posts:
850
  • spud is offline
#22
@Ed. I usedto use Cleartrip too and still use it to search for trains, but I'm not sure I would want to go through the whole process of trying to link it to irctc (like the year before last - giving up & went direct to irctc).

I'm not going this year either, I originally planned for November, then knocked my trip back to January 2019 (my 50th birthday) but then thought January wouldn't really be the ideal time (short days, possible fog etc), So now I'm thinking March-April, actually booked 5 weeks off from work but it's changeable, March gives me a bit extra time to save too.

@Ukdoctor. login might not be a requirement, I just don't know. But I think I might buy one of those cheap tickets to make sure
#23 Jul 17th, 2018, 22:21
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,316
  • nycank is offline
#23
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldandRambling View Post Is it a requirement to use the system at intervals to keep it "live"?



(Atom is simply a payment service, they handle the transaction, and they are set up for international cards too...)
No, there is no requirement of a keep alive.

Atom is not the only payment gateway that processes international cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post I'm assuming the *new* IRCTC site works flawlessly?
Not really.

What is broken, or atleast when I tested it last month.
  • VPN from some countries resets the connection.
  • Bank<-->Payment Gateway<--->IRCTC is buggy. If there is a problem in the reservation allocation (i.e trying 1A reservation) the gateway charges the money to the credit card, but the IRCTC does not do a "commit" completing the reservation.
  • The PIN field in the Address profile rejects 5 digit US pin.
#24 Jul 18th, 2018, 01:43
Join Date:
Jan 2010
Location:
North Rhine-Westphalia
Posts:
7,083
  • Golghar is offline
#24
I just received a refund from IRCTC five days after I cancelled the ticket, just as IRCTC promised. I was quite overwhelmed as I still had memories of running from pillar to post in 1972 to get a refund for a ticket on a cancelled train.
#25 Jul 18th, 2018, 04:32
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Land that shakes and bakes.
Posts:
15,676
  • edwardseco is offline
#25
Quote:
The PIN field in the Address profile rejects 5 digit US pin.
Can that be sussed by using a legit PIN code from India for hypothetical example say for one's favorite neice..
#26 Oct 22nd, 2018, 13:42
Join Date:
Jun 2007
Location:
Sydney, Aus
Posts:
57
  • edblax is offline
#26
Hi folks! I'm using the magical next generation e-ticketing website for the first time, and I see that once I click the strangely designed foreign tourist quota button and enter the mysterious world of foreign tourist quota booking, I can only select between First Class and 2AC classes. It's not that these are the only classes available - these are the only classes I can even check availability for.

So my question is - have IR decided to cut FT quota back to just the most expensive classes, or are there still FT quota tickets available in 3AC and SL that just can't be booked online?

It would be a big change to the system to no longer have FT quota tickets in the lower classes, but I guess with online booking and online tatkal the system's been anachronistic (if useful) for at least the last few years.
#27 Oct 22nd, 2018, 13:48
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
In the land of awesomeness
Posts:
32,132
  • aarosh is offline
#27
Quote:
Originally Posted by edblax View Post So my question is - have IR decided to cut FT quota back to just the most expensive classes, or are there still FT quota tickets available in 3AC and SL that just can't be booked online?
FT quota is not available for all trains and all classes. Which train are you looking at?

I had a look at Paschim Express from BDTS to NDLS and there are 4 seats under FTQ for sleeper class. Similarly in Punjab Mail there are 4 seats under FTQ for sleeper class.
#28 Oct 22nd, 2018, 14:07
Join Date:
Jun 2007
Location:
Sydney, Aus
Posts:
57
  • edblax is offline
#28
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarosh View Post FT quota is not available for all trains and all classes. Which train are you looking at?

I had a look at Paschim Express from BDTS to NDLS and there are 4 seats under FTQ for sleeper class. Similarly in Punjab Mail there are 4 seats under FTQ for sleeper class.
Where are you checking the availability? As above, on https://www.irctc.co.in/nget/train-list, once I select FT quota, it only lets me choose the top two classes (1A/2A / EA/EC) in the drop-downs. It doesn't matter what route I choose or which train I look at.

I've tried to attach a screenshot - not sure whether it will work.
Attached Images
irctc.jpg 
#29 Oct 22nd, 2018, 14:28
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
In the land of awesomeness
Posts:
32,132
  • aarosh is offline
#29
Quote:
Originally Posted by edblax View Post Where are you checking the availability?
I am checking the availability in erail.in as well as etrain.info.in.

I would not be able to see the FTQ availability on IRCTC since I am an Indian citizen.

When do you plan to travel? How many in the group? Why FTQ and not regular quota?
#30 Oct 22nd, 2018, 22:58
Join Date:
Oct 2009
Location:
NOTTINGHAM
Posts:
1,519
  • OldandRambling is offline
#30
No doubt you are aware that foreign tourists can just buy from the "general" quota, where still available?

I believe that buying the tourist quota tickets now carries a 50% basic fare surcharge?

Some trains only have the tourist quota in the lowest class, so I guess these won't show up at all on the new site, if you search "tourist quota"...


Ed.

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board : Website Revamped Jul 15th, 2013 18:14 54 26540 Jammu
Medimix revamped Nov 16th, 2012 17:14 27 4049 Chai and Chat
Delhi's revamped airport...where to stay? Sep 24th, 2011 18:09 6 2202 International India Flights
Revamped Himachal Tourism site to be launched today evening Oct 5th, 2008 17:40 22 2605 Himachal Pradesh


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success