Indian Railways - All About First AC

Reply
#16 Dec 20th, 2012, 00:38
Join Date:
May 2010
Location:
Austin, Texas
Posts:
712
  • professorm is offline
#16
Aloke ----

Outstanding job!
#17 Dec 20th, 2012, 09:57
Join Date:
Jan 2010
Location:
London (UK) (Current) & Pali Hill, Bombay (IN)
Posts:
8,884
  • ViShVa is offline
#17
Aloke - I am not much of a rail traveller but I am thoroughly impressed by your detailed description! So much so that I will consider this as an option to catching a flight... thanks a lot
#18 Dec 27th, 2012, 03:11
Join Date:
Dec 2012
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
1
  • ipsit is offline
#18

darjeeling mail -chances of getting a two berth coupe

Hi,

Your post is great and very informative. In a very similar situation, I have booked two tickets for a scheduled journey on 16th Feb ,2013 from sealdah to NJP via the Darjeeling mail.

I have booked the tickets online and its ac first class. But my and my wife's surname are mentioned according to our voter ids and hence its different.

Will it lessen our chances of getting a two berth coupe?

Also, when and how and to whom should i request for allotting us a 2 berth coupe?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance
#19 Dec 27th, 2012, 03:25
Join Date:
Jan 2012
Location:
Chicago
Posts:
249
  • Arrowman is offline
#19
You can't request a 2-person berth (unless you have a dog with ticket). You can only hope. At least your tickets were bought together.
#20 Dec 27th, 2012, 11:09
Join Date:
Jun 2006
Location:
IIT-Kharagpur
Posts:
2,050
  • Nattusbs is offline
#20
Aloke_m

Great post on 1AC. I use this when I am not able to get 2AC in Falknuma Exp between Kharagpur (KGP) and Secunderabad (SC) (I do this route a lot since I work at the former and my parents live in the latter city).

I am in Hyderabad this week for our inter-semester break and will be returning to KGP this Saturday (1AC) on Falaknuma Express. Could not get 2AC due to IIT students returning to school .

I am planning another trip between KGP and SC during Holi - I am thinking of 1AC since the weather will be getting hot.

I prefer Falaknuma to flying since it is more convenient from/to KGP. To take a flight I need to pay an extra Rs 2400 taxi each way between IIT KGP and CCU airport + the flight costs. Boarding Falaknuma at KGP station is easier + I get to do some work on the train (especially 1AC) & it is more relaxing. Also, Hyderabad airport is really far from the city and there is another Rs 600 or so for one-way taxi - the airporter bus seems good except I normally have luggage!

Good work.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Last edited by Nattusbs; Dec 27th, 2012 at 11:13.. Reason: addition
#21 Dec 27th, 2012, 13:45
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,181
  • nycank is offline
#21
What a savior this thread and Aloke's information was !
#22 Dec 27th, 2012, 20:18
Join Date:
Dec 2006
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
1,025
  • aloke_m is offline
#22
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorm View Post Aloke ----

Outstanding job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViShVa View Post Aloke - I am not much of a rail traveller but I am thoroughly impressed by your detailed description! So much so that I will consider this as an option to catching a flight... thanks a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycank View Post What a savior this thread and Aloke's information was !
Thanks for the appreciation! It's good to know the post is proving helpful in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsit View Post Hi,

Your post is great and very informative. In a very similar situation, I have booked two tickets for a scheduled journey on 16th Feb ,2013 from sealdah to NJP via the Darjeeling mail.

I have booked the tickets online and its ac first class. But my and my wife's surname are mentioned according to our voter ids and hence its different.

Will it lessen our chances of getting a two berth coupe?

Also, when and how and to whom should i request for allotting us a 2 berth coupe?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Well, you could approach the Chief Reservation Officer or the Chief Commercial Manager at Sealdah, or even write a request for a coupe and drop it in the box for applications for the High Official (HO) Quota. But keep in mind you'd need a reason to get this coupe ahead of any other couples travelling so I'm not sure such an exercise is worth the effort. I think as a couple on one PNR, you stand a decent chance of bagging a coupe (There are three in the 1AC of this train).

Do you remember how many seats where available when you booked? According to the Chief Reservation Supervisor at Bangalore, coupes will first be allotted to VIPs (If travelling) and then allotted to other couples in chronological order of their booking (ie if you book early you're more likely to be allotted one) but I have strong doubts as to whether this is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattusbs View Post Aloke_m

Great post on 1AC. I use this when I am not able to get 2AC in Falknuma Exp between Kharagpur (KGP) and Secunderabad (SC) (I do this route a lot since I work at the former and my parents live in the latter city).

I am in Hyderabad this week for our inter-semester break and will be returning to KGP this Saturday (1AC) on Falaknuma Express. Could not get 2AC due to IIT students returning to school .

I am planning another trip between KGP and SC during Holi - I am thinking of 1AC since the weather will be getting hot.

I prefer Falaknuma to flying since it is more convenient from/to KGP. To take a flight I need to pay an extra Rs 2400 taxi each way between IIT KGP and CCU airport + the flight costs. Boarding Falaknuma at KGP station is easier + I get to do some work on the train (especially 1AC) & it is more relaxing. Also, Hyderabad airport is really far from the city and there is another Rs 600 or so for one-way taxi - the airporter bus seems good except I normally have luggage!

Good work.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Thanks again. Yes, if you're in no massive hurry, this would make far more sense - also, you don't keep shifting from one place to another (bus to airport, checkin to security check, security check to flight, flight to baggage collection etc) so if you want to read, work, catch up on some sleep or just contemplate life staring out of the window, the train is far more relaxing. When I travel Bangalore - Chennai, for example, flying isn't even considered - I would spend 5 hours transiting from my house here to my relatives' there if I flew and 6 and a half if I took the train, not to mention the fact that the cheapest flight ticket would cost atleast double the fare of the most expensive train ticket!
#23 Jan 19th, 2013, 16:18
Join Date:
Jan 2013
Location:
kerala
Posts:
3
  • kuttusan is offline
#23

1AC Coupe With Children Aged 8 and 4

dears,
I am planning a trip from delhi to trivandrum by rajdhani express Ist ac with my family( wife and 2 kids 8yrs and 4 yrs resp. Is it possible to get a coupe for us during this trip
#24 Jan 19th, 2013, 16:24
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
In the land of awesomeness
Posts:
31,912
  • aarosh is offline
#24
I do not think it would be possible for you to get a coupe. A child above the age of 5 years is charged half ticket and he/she would be assigned a seat. So most probably you will be allotted a 4 seater cabin.
#25 Jan 19th, 2013, 16:27
Join Date:
Jan 2011
Location:
.
Posts:
7,447
  • Dave W is offline
#25
X - Cross posted with Aarosh - X

kuttusan

You will have to buy a child ticket for your 8 year old who will be alllocated his/her own berth. This means that you will be allocated 3 berths, most probably in a 4 berth cabin. Your 4 year old does not need to pay and will not be allocated a berth but must be declared on the ticket.
#26 Jan 19th, 2013, 17:14
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
UK
Posts:
16,662
  • steven_ber is offline
#26
Put the 4 year old down as a 5, then pay the child fare for both children, that way you should get a 4-berth cabin to yourselves, otherwise, you'll have a stranger in the cabin with you.
#27 Jan 21st, 2013, 10:27
Join Date:
Feb 2012
Location:
Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
Posts:
1,626
  • paramiyer is offline
#27
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_ber View Post Put the 4 year old down as a 5, then pay the child fare for both children, that way you should get a 4-berth cabin to yourselves, otherwise, you'll have a stranger in the cabin with you.
this is indeed the BEST option if you have the 3280 rs to burn. you practically get to live in a spacious room with enormous amount of food included...
#28 Jan 29th, 2013, 20:59
Join Date:
Jan 2013
Location:
kerala
Posts:
3
  • kuttusan is offline
#28
thank you verymuch everybody for your reply's
#29 Jan 30th, 2013, 18:21
Join Date:
Nov 2010
Location:
NOIDA
Posts:
5
  • pghosh79 is offline
#29

WL 2,3,4,5 Any Chance?

Hi

I wanted to go to Delhi-Goa on the 10th of Feb and back on 15th. For both I have got 2,3,4,5 WL in 1AC on the Rajdhani.

Given the low number of seats does it look like it will come through or should I book flights. The AC 2 tier is WL 45 for going and closed even for WL while coming back.

Also as per this thread I should get a ful cabin ( Its me , my wife and kids 5 and 8 travelling)
#30 Feb 6th, 2013, 18:44
Join Date:
Jan 2013
Location:
kerala
Posts:
3
  • kuttusan is offline
#30
dears,
how many months before i can book train tickets? i am planning my trip in the month of july. i want a ticket in rajdhani Ist a/c for my family
Reply


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success