Couple of Questions

#1 Apr 7th, 2011, 13:51
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Australia
Posts:
18
  • pineblossom is offline
#1
Have digested the excellent posts on railway bookings and general train information I have made a e-ticket booking via Cleartrip. I paid by debit card which was not problem. A check on the PNR indicates that the booking is confirmed. Well done me.

Q1. I note on Cleartrip there is the advantage of selecting 'senior men' which not only saves me a few rupees but apparently locks me into the quota system - there was a waitlist. The only thing I have to do is show 'proof of age'. What constitutes proof of age for Indian Railways?

Q2 Despite repeated attempts I cannot book on irctc. I have got a username and all, but still cannot get any sense out of the system. For instance, irctc kept telling me there was 'no information' on the above train which I booked by e-ticket through cleartrip. Any ideas?

Q3. Sorry, there is a third question. I note on Steve's sticky on waitlist that he apparently has access to the 91 day availability list. How can I access that list?

Thanks for all the info.
#2 Apr 7th, 2011, 13:57
Join Date:
Dec 2006
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
1,031
  • aloke_m is offline
#2
While there is a quota for senior citizens, I've never heard of a waiting list being maintained for it; either seats are available in the Senior Citizen Quota or it says "NOT AVAILABLE". Perhaps it is displaying the general waitlist, which confused you?

The other two queries can be answered better if the train name/number and your origin/destination stations are mentioned.
#3 Apr 7th, 2011, 14:28
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Australia
Posts:
18
  • pineblossom is offline
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloke_m View Post While there is a quota for senior citizens, I've never heard of a waiting list being maintained for it; either seats are available in the Senior Citizen Quota or it says "NOT AVAILABLE". Perhaps it is displaying the general waitlist, which confused you?

Sorry. There was not a waiting list for Seniors - just the general waiting list.

The other two queries can be answered better if the train name/number and your origin/destination stations are mentioned.
Train No 12312 Kalka Mail.

Origin Chandi Mandir but I only found this out by accident following another thread.

But - to my question. How does one prove age to Indian Railways?
#4 Apr 7th, 2011, 14:38
Join Date:
Jun 2010
Location:
Hyderabad, india
Posts:
8,570
  • narendra.d is offline
#4
1. Senior Men /Senior Women is a discount offered to those over 60 years. So if you qualify, your passport is proof enough. Whether this is available to foreigners is a Question that I am still unclear. This is because the discount is called Senior Citizen and a Foreigner is not a Citizen. My understanding is that this discount is not applicable to foreigners.

2. While Cleartrip is easy, you can book on IRCTC. There are guides that can help. Look here: https://www.irctc.co.in/beta_htmls/eticketguides.html
#5 Apr 7th, 2011, 14:40
Join Date:
Jun 2010
Location:
Hyderabad, india
Posts:
8,570
  • narendra.d is offline
#5
Lower Berth Quota is generally used to allot berths to Seniors and if available can be used. May be that is what the OP saw availability.
#6 Apr 7th, 2011, 21:17
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
3,796
  • dipyamanbasu is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineblossom View Post Have digested the excellent posts on railway bookings and general train information I have made a e-ticket booking via Cleartrip. I paid by debit card which was not problem. A check on the PNR indicates that the booking is confirmed. Well done me.

Q1. I note on Cleartrip there is the advantage of selecting 'senior men' which not only saves me a few rupees but apparently locks me into the quota system - there was a waitlist. The only thing I have to do is show 'proof of age'. What constitutes proof of age for Indian Railways?

Q2 Despite repeated attempts I cannot book on irctc. I have got a username and all, but still cannot get any sense out of the system. For instance, irctc kept telling me there was 'no information' on the above train which I booked by e-ticket through cleartrip. Any ideas?

Q3. Sorry, there is a third question. I note on Steve's sticky on waitlist that he apparently has access to the 91 day availability list. How can I access that list?

Thanks for all the info.
Since many days there has been a few server problems, and hence can be the error status.
When you put your age while booking tickets, and click on Senior Citizen, it automatically displays the status unde SS quota.
For Foreigners, Passport can be considered to verify the age.
Note: Two quotas cannot be combined at the same time. Example: If you are availing Foreign Tourist quota, you would not be eligible for Senior Citizen Quota. However, depending on your age, the system would try to allot you the requisite berth. (If Available).
#7 Apr 8th, 2011, 05:08
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Australia
Posts:
18
  • pineblossom is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipyamanbasu View Post Since many days there has been a few server problems, and hence can be the error status.
When you put your age while booking tickets, and click on Senior Citizen, it automatically displays the status unde SS quota.
For Foreigners, Passport can be considered to verify the age.
Note: Two quotas cannot be combined at the same time. Example: If you are availing Foreign Tourist quota, you would not be eligible for Senior Citizen Quota. However, depending on your age, the system would try to allot you the requisite berth. (If Available).
Thank you all for your responses.

But anyone for Q3 - how to access the 91 day availability list - anyone?
#8 Apr 8th, 2011, 11:59
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
3,796
  • dipyamanbasu is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineblossom View Post Thank you all for your responses.

But anyone for Q3 - how to access the 91 day availability list - anyone?
Say today is the starting day; i.e. 90th day prior date of journey for booking a train. Consider A and C as the starting and terminating station. If the intermediate station B falls on the 2nd day of travel (91st day), then you can also book for B-C today.

Its similiar like a bus starts today from Dehradun. Shall reach Agra tomorrow and finally the destination Delhi day after tomorrow. Just like, you can make reservation for Dehradun-Agra/Delhi today, you could also do the same for Agra-Delhi. (Irrespective of the fact that boarding from Agra would only be possible on the 2nd day of journey of this bus)
#9 Apr 8th, 2011, 16:32
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Australia
Posts:
18
  • pineblossom is offline
#9
Yes - I know what you mean.

But what I was interested in was getting the whole of the 90 day availability list - not just 6 days in advance and then plodding through the 90 days 6 days at a time.
#10 Apr 8th, 2011, 18:56
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
3,796
  • dipyamanbasu is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineblossom View Post Yes - I know what you mean.

But what I was interested in was getting the whole of the 90 day availability list - not just 6 days in advance and then plodding through the 90 days 6 days at a time.
Kind of difficult.
However there are some tricky ways out.
1) Know the coach composition of the train.
2) Then find out the total no. of berths.
3) Now try and search for the availability status of the train which you wish to travel. (with diff. station combinations)
Ex:- Start-End wud be one quota. Some other status's could be Start-Intermediate, Intermediate-Intermediate, Intermediate-End and so on. The can be more than 1 from the latter part. Try to see what are the diff status showing.
Ex: for one it shows WL 3 in 1AC, for two othe it shows the same. For the fourth combination it shows WL 4, for 5th it shows Wl 5. So you would know that quota are diff for the status's which are different.
3) Since tomorrow is 9th of April, 90 days from tomorrow would be around 7th of 8th (Calculation reqd)
4) Log in sometime before 8:00 and try to check the availability status for the station combinations you had found out to be different.

If you did not get what has been told by me, give me one train which you wish to travel and I can explain u in more brief.
You would then have a fair amount of idea.
#11 Apr 9th, 2011, 17:27
Join Date:
Jul 2005
Location:
Netherlands
Posts:
4,386
  • vonkla is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineblossom View Post Yes - I know what you mean.

But what I was interested in was getting the whole of the 90 day availability list - not just 6 days in advance and then plodding through the 90 days 6 days at a time.
For searching on the railway system this site http://erail.in/ is fine.

With the 'calender' function on the right top you can choose the date.
#12 Apr 9th, 2011, 17:28
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Australia
Posts:
18
  • pineblossom is offline
#12
Where did Steve get his 90 day availability list. See here.

The item is half way down under Advance Booking Period.
#13 Apr 9th, 2011, 19:00
Join Date:
Mar 2011
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
3,796
  • dipyamanbasu is offline
#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineblossom View Post Where did Steve get his 90 day availability list. See here.

The item is half way down under Advance Booking Period.
Thats not a big deal.
From today, you can get availability till 90 days from now (or 90+ depending on the day the train passes thru the station.

You go indianrail.gov.in

Enter the train no, station combination, class and date of travel, and then click on availability.
Once a new page opens, you would find the option to find the availability for the next 5 days. You can also try the same on other sites like erail,irctc,indiarailinfo.


In short, If i need to travel in the month of July, max I can see the status for 8th/7th july (depending on which is the 90th day/90+ day after calculation and also whether the station falls on the 2nd/3rd/4th day of travel and so on).
If I need to see the status for 11th july, i have to wait for some more days; may be till 10th of april (If it is the 90day prior to 11th July)

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
A couple of Metro questions... Oct 28th, 2010 15:51 5 3928 Delhi


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success