Northern India 17May to 26th June! First time in India
CarlaYogi
India > India Travel Basics > India Travel > India Travel Partners
#1
| Member

Northern India 17May to 26th June! First time in India

Hi fellow India Mikers:)

I am new to this forum, but am so happy to have found it. I am off to India for my first trip there on 16th May from South Africa. Have already found sooooo much helpful info from this site, so thank you to all you guys for posting for us newbies to get first hand insight to India.

I am planning to go directly to Rishikesh on 17th May, but from there am open to exploring Northern India in all it's glory. Going to Dharamsala round 4th July, to attend 3 day public talk by the Dalai Lama. Am very excited about this opportunity, as sadly he not welcome in South Africa, so will never have the opportunity of seeing him in my home country:mad: Will be flying back home out of Delhi on 26th June.
I am on a spiritual journey, and want to do lots of Yoga, meditation etc, but am also keen on outdoor hikes treks & adventure, as I love nature and all it's wonders, which I hear the North has plenty of.

Anyone with cool info on places to go, things to see etc. in Northern India from Rishikesh upwards & outwards during this time, please do share.

If anyone else (traveller or local) is around this part of the world at the same time, and would like to meet up, please do get in touch, as I am always keen to meet new and interesting people!

Have an awesome day to all you guys.
:namaste: Carla

25 Replies

#2
| Member

Rishikesh & Dharamsala 17May to 26th June!

I am off to India for my first trip here on 16th May from South Africa.

I am planning to go directly to Rishikesh on 17th May, but from there am open to exploring Northern India in all it's glory. Going to Dharamsala round 4th July, to attend 3 day public talk by the Dalai Lama. Am very excited about this opportunity, as sadly he not welcome in South Africa, so will never have the opportunity of seeing him in my home country. Will be flying back home out of Delhi on 26th June.
I am on a spiritual journey, and want to do lots of Yoga, meditation etc, but am also keen on outdoor hikes treks & adventure, as I love nature and all it's wonders, which I hear the North has plenty of.

If anyone else (traveller or local) is around this part of the world at the same time, and would like to meet up, please do get in touch, as I am always keen to meet new and interesting people!

Cheers, Carla:)
#3
| Member
I will be in Ladakh May 22-July 1, the region is also known as "Little Tibet.". Weather will be very hot in Rhishikesh at this time of year. Ladakh could be nice after Dharmsala. Please message me directly if you decide to come!
#4
| Maha Guru Member

Originally posted by: CarlaYogi View Post



I am planning to go directly to Rishikesh on 17th May, but from there am open to exploring Northern India in all it's glory. Going to Dharamsala round 4th July, to attend 3 day public talk by the Dalai Lama. Am very excited about this opportunity, as sadly he not welcome in South Africa, so will never have the opportunity of seeing him in my home country:mad: Will be flying back home out of Delhi on 26th June.


Why is HHDL not welcome in S.Africa? Is it Chinese influence?:confused:

Swiss cottage at high bank above Lakshman Jhula is a nice place to stay in Rishikesh with rooms from 3-600Rs. Also consider visting Rewalsar Lake & Padmasambhava's caves if you have a interest in Buddhism, which you can do on the way to D'sala.:)KK
SOS: Missing Person...

Please look at this thread: http://www.indiamike.com/india/uttar...012-a-t159252/

He could be anywhere now: You might have met him, be able to help, or give information.
#5
| Maha Guru Member

Originally posted by: CarlaYogi View Post

I am off to India for my first trip here on 16th May from South Africa.

I am planning to go directly to Rishikesh on 17th May, but from there am open to exploring Northern India in all it's glory. Going to Dharamsala round 4th July, to attend 3 day public talk by the Dalai Lama. Am very excited about this opportunity, as sadly he not welcome in South Africa, so will never have the opportunity of seeing him in my home country. Will be flying back home out of Delhi on 26th June.
I am on a spiritual journey, and want to do lots of Yoga, meditation etc, but am also keen on outdoor hikes treks & adventure, as I love nature and all it's wonders, which I hear the North has plenty of.

If anyone else (traveller or local) is around this part of the world at the same time, and would like to meet up, please do get in touch, as I am always keen to meet new and interesting people!

Cheers, Carla:)


Carla,it looks like you've made the same post twice?:confused:KK
SOS: Missing Person...

Please look at this thread: http://www.indiamike.com/india/uttar...012-a-t159252/

He could be anywhere now: You might have met him, be able to help, or give information.
#6
| Gone.......!
You will meet many new and interesting people after a few days of stay in rishikesh. Are you planning to stay in a hotel/guest house or ashram? If you have plans to hike/trek, May is the perfect time and you will have access to many places in the Himalaya. A trip to Gangotri glacier & valley of flowers is recommended and there are many other spots of interest around rishikesh.
#7
| Maha Guru Member
Welcome to IM !

Can you please explain a spiritual journey? I am hearing this too often these days and feel too uneducated not understanding this.
Bike rides - Kashmir to Leh and Sikkim, Jungle safaris - Corbett,Chikhaldara, Kanha and Gorumara. Traveled through MP, Himachal, J&K, Maharashtra, W.Bengal, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Goa, Karnataka, AP . . . Yet feel so New to traveling in India.
#8
| Member
Hi Kullukid

Thanks for your recommendations, I will definitely look into them.
Regarding Dalai Lama, I think most South Africans would be very happy to have him visit our country, and in fact last year the Archbishop Tutu, a very respected religious and political figure invited him to his birthday celebrations. The HHDL was however refused entry to South Africa, because of our commercial trade ties to China. This was purely a financial decision, not to upset the Chinese government, and keep happy trading agreement with them, which actually caused quite an upset among some of the South African population who support Tibet.
#9
| Member
Hi Carla thanks for your interest that you want to come to india and explore our magical india i will be more than happy to assist you if you need any help... will be delighted to meet you
take care and God Bless you
#10
| Member
Hi new_traveller

The way I see it, a spiritual journey (which could mean many different things to different people) when done in another country, is different to saying that I will be going on holiday, or doing the "tourist " thing overseas. It implies that rather than just visiting a new country to take in the usual tourist sights, and everything else associated with our idea of a holiday, that one is going to a place specifically with the agenda gaining experience / insight into things of a religious nature. Now I use the word religious, in a very broad sense, as people have many different beliefs, and each persons idea of 'God', or the 'the Divine' or any other name you might relate to, is extremely personal. Therefore a spiritual journey is one which a person goes on, seeking and hopefully to find a deeper understanding, and experience of their chosen beliefs and connection to 'God'. Of course one could do this at home, (you don't have to travel half way across the world) but for a lot of people, daily life and routine keep us in a bit of a rut, kind of like a hamster on a wheel, going round and round in the same pattern, and making a complete break, and taking time out from our usual routine, gives us the space and time to look deeper into ourselves and out into the universe, and get a better understanding of our ourselves, others, and to deepen our religious connections.

to sum up, a spiritual journey is ultimately a journey deeper into ones own essence & beliefs no matter where on the planet you decide to pursue it.

Hope this makes some kind of sense!!!

Cheers, Carla
#11
| Member
Sorry Kullukid, am new here and not exactly sure how everything works.
Messages are ever so slightly different, but one was on the new members forum, to say HI and introduce myself in general to all India Mikers out there. The other was posted in travel partners forum, to check if anyone else will be around at the same time and place as me, and maybe meet up in India for some face to face chat, as opposed to internet chat.

By the way, thanks for all your informative posts. I see you are quite active here, and always have such great advise!
#12
| Maha Guru Member

Originally posted by: CarlaYogi View Post

Hi new_traveller

The way I see it, a spiritual journey (which could mean many different things to different people) when done in another country, is different to saying that I will be going on holiday, or doing the "tourist " thing overseas. It implies that rather than just visiting a new country to take in the usual tourist sights, and everything else associated with our idea of a holiday, that one is going to a place specifically with the agenda gaining experience / insight into things of a religious nature. Now I use the word religious, in a very broad sense, as people have many different beliefs, and each persons idea of 'God', or the 'the Divine' or any other name you might relate to, is extremely personal. Therefore a spiritual journey is one which a person goes on, seeking and hopefully to find a deeper understanding, and experience of their chosen beliefs and connection to 'God'. Of course one could do this at home, (you don't have to travel half way across the world) but for a lot of people, daily life and routine keep us in a bit of a rut, kind of like a hamster on a wheel, going round and round in the same pattern, and making a complete break, and taking time out from our usual routine, gives us the space and time to look deeper into ourselves and out into the universe, and get a better understanding of our ourselves, others, and to deepen our religious connections.

to sum up, a spiritual journey is ultimately a journey deeper into ones own essence & beliefs no matter where on the planet you decide to pursue it.

Hope this makes some kind of sense!!!

Cheers, Carla


All the best to think deeper and know your self and God and beliefs....
India might be fascinating or chaotic and might attack your senses, invade your personal space.. Hope to get that time to think and analyze self.

Thanks for the enlightenment .
But India ca
Bike rides - Kashmir to Leh and Sikkim, Jungle safaris - Corbett,Chikhaldara, Kanha and Gorumara. Traveled through MP, Himachal, J&K, Maharashtra, W.Bengal, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Goa, Karnataka, AP . . . Yet feel so New to traveling in India.
#13
| Maha Guru Member

Originally posted by: CarlaYogi View Post



Anyone with cool info on places to go, things to see etc. in Northern India from Rishikesh upwards & outwards during this time, please do share.

If anyone else (traveller or local) is around this part of the world at the same time, and would like to meet up, please do get in touch, as I am always keen to meet new and interesting people!

Have an awesome day to all you guys.
:namaste: Carla


Hi Carla,

Depending on how many days you plan stay in Uttarakhand (the state, which includes Rishikesh), there are several places to visit here.

I would recommend you to visit Deoria Tal (a natural lake ensconced in mid-Himalayas). It is about 200 km from Rishikesh and the journey involves a short trek. You can camp at Deoria Tal and experience breathtaking views of Himalayas (especially Mt. Chaukhambha and Mt. Kedarnath).

There is an ancient Shiva temple of Tunganath (highest located Shiva temple in India at 3,680 meters) not too distant from Deoria tal. It also involves a short trek.

If you are not averse to crowded places, you can then proceed to Badrinath to see all facets of Hinduism from close quarters.

These are my recommendations. May be the veteran IMers will come up with better ideas.

Cheers...Enjoy India (and Uttarakhand)
#14
| Maha Guru Member

Originally posted by: CarlaYogi View Post

The HHDL was however refused entry to South Africa, because of our commercial trade ties to China. This was purely a financial decision, not to upset the Chinese government, and keep happy trading agreement with them, which actually caused quite an upset among some of the South African population who support Tibet.



Yes, i thought so. Looks like S.Africa is creating some collective bad Karma for itself,don't they realise that with the Chinese you don't get anything for nothing??:confused: KK
SOS: Missing Person...

Please look at this thread: http://www.indiamike.com/india/uttar...012-a-t159252/

He could be anywhere now: You might have met him, be able to help, or give information.
#15
| Member

Originally posted by: CarlaYogi View Post

Hi fellow India Mikers:)

I am new to this forum, but am so happy to have found it. I am off to India for my first trip there on 16th May from South Africa. Have already found sooooo much helpful info from this site, so thank you to all you guys for posting for us newbies to get first hand insight to India.

I am planning to go directly to Rishikesh on 17th May, but from there am open to exploring Northern India in all it's glory. Going to Dharamsala round 4th July, to attend 3 day public talk by the Dalai Lama. Am very excited about this opportunity, as sadly he not welcome in South Africa, so will never have the opportunity of seeing him in my home country:mad: Will be flying back home out of Delhi on 26th June.
I am on a spiritual journey, and want to do lots of Yoga, meditation etc, but am also keen on outdoor hikes treks & adventure, as I love nature and all it's wonders, which I hear the North has plenty of.

Anyone with cool info on places to go, things to see etc. in Northern India from Rishikesh upwards & outwards during this time, please do share.

If anyone else (traveller or local) is around this part of the world at the same time, and would like to meet up, please do get in touch, as I am always keen to meet new and interesting people!

Have an awesome day to all you guys.
:namaste: Carla




If you're going to be in Rishikesh, and planning to stay further in the state of Uttrakhand, you can consider going to places like Chopta which one member has pointed out you can go for Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek or you can go a bit higher towards Kedarnath/Gangotri Glacier.

The other option would be go towards Badrinath where on the way you will find many places worth visiting like Auli, Joshimath, Nanda Devi Bioreserve, valley of flowers besides the nature at its best.

Regards,

Neeraj