A list of things in India which are disappearing:

Reply
#151 Aug 7th, 2018, 08:22
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,634
  • Nick-H is offline
#151

A list of things in India which are disappearing:

This thread is in fire need of futtocking!
~
Life gets aadhar every day.
.
#152 Aug 7th, 2018, 08:57
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
Interweb
Posts:
16,173
  • vaibhav_arora is offline
#152
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfot2 View Post
It's the visuals that are so profoundly disturbing. I'm sill trying to figure out, for example, how we get from Hibiya Park to Amanohashidate in one frame.
The same way MI- fallout climax purportedly set in Kashmir* was filmed in New Zealand and Norway.

*cruise keeps mentioning Turtuk.

@iamgorman - this should answer your question http://www.thedelhiwalla.com/2018/06...omment-page-1/
#153 Aug 7th, 2018, 11:25
Join Date:
Jan 2010
Location:
North Rhine-Westphalia
Posts:
7,113
  • Golghar is offline
#153
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycank View Post More obscene than this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhhoCkiykOg
And this reminded me of something that has really disappeared for good - the 78rpm shellac disc. I had one of this song. The flip side had this on it:



I just consulted my Hindi Film Geet Kosh: it was disc no. N55309 on the HMV label.

And the film itself is a Bollywood take on Hiroshima Mon Amour. I remember watching it as a teenager (at Delite cinema on Asaf Ali Road) and it was really bad.
#154 Aug 7th, 2018, 11:27
Join Date:
Mar 2012
Location:
Sydney, Australia
Posts:
10,695
  • Govindpuri is offline
#154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golghar View Post And this reminded me of something that has really disappeared for good - the 78rpm shellac disc. I had one of this song. The flip side had this on it:

I just consulted my Hindi Film Geet Kosh: it was disc no. N55309 on the HMV label.
Available on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/India-Vinta...d=263681378103
#155 Aug 7th, 2018, 11:32
Join Date:
Jan 2010
Location:
North Rhine-Westphalia
Posts:
7,113
  • Golghar is offline
#155
I must write an ode to shellac. I never really got used to vinyl.
#156 Aug 7th, 2018, 21:15
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,634
  • Nick-H is offline
#156
scccrIscccrmustscccrwritescccranscccrodescccrtoscccrscccrshellac.scccrIscccrneverscccrreallySilvergotusedSilverscccrtoscccr vinyl. scccrscccr Click.

... corrected that for you!
#157 Aug 7th, 2018, 21:28
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,634
  • Nick-H is offline
#157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post Cycle rickshaws
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG View Post Cycle rickshaws? They are in use all over India.
Let me rephrase that. Cycle rickshaws in Chennai.

Yes, there a few left: some are still doing school runs, for instance. But it is only a very few years since there were quite a lot.
#158 Aug 7th, 2018, 22:20
Join Date:
Jan 2004
Location:
Ladakh
Posts:
3,418
  • NonIndianResident is offline
#158
Back to the luggage topic! The chalk X on check-in luggage when it arrived in Delhi airport because there were electronics inside. And thus the need to moisten a bit of cloth in the bathroom to rub it off discreetly: "Ooh, what's this funny mark that got onto my luggage? Ugh, clean it up!"
#159 Aug 7th, 2018, 22:22
Join Date:
Jan 2004
Location:
Ladakh
Posts:
3,418
  • NonIndianResident is offline
#159
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_arora View Post The same way MI- fallout climax purportedly set in Kashmir* was filmed in New Zealand and Norway.

*cruise keeps mentioning Turtuk.
Huh? I haven't seen MI, but Turtuk is in Baltistan, and currently in Leh District so could be considered in Ladakh, but by no stretch of terminology is Turtuk in Kashmir. But did the movie imply it is?
#160 Aug 8th, 2018, 02:49
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
cloud
Posts:
1,469
  • RPG is offline
#160
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonIndianResident View Post Back to the luggage topic! The chalk X on check-in luggage when it arrived in Delhi airport because there were electronics inside. And thus the need to moisten a bit of cloth in the bathroom to rub it off discreetly: "Ooh, what's this funny mark that got onto my luggage? Ugh, clean it up!"
For this purpose I used to save those packaged wipes the airline would provide with meals. Out of habit, I continued to do so for years after the chalk marking was discontinued.

Long before the chalk-mark days, both entering India and entering the US one had to open each and every suitcase for detailed inspection. Strange to go from that to essentially no Customs at all.
#161 Aug 8th, 2018, 03:56
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,634
  • Nick-H is offline
#161
Didn't anyone just put the case on the trolley in such a way that the X did not show?
#162 Aug 8th, 2018, 11:23
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Land that shakes and bakes.
Posts:
15,777
  • edwardseco is offline
#162
Quote:
Back to the luggage topic! The chalk X on check-in luggage when it arrived in Delhi airport because there were electronics inside. And thus the need to moisten a bit of cloth in the bathroom to rub it off discreetly: "Ooh, what's this funny mark that got onto my luggage? Ugh, clean it up!"
Quote:
Didn't anyone just put the case on the trolley in such a way that the X did not show?
Yes sir!
I think it was less directed than every so many arrivals..
#163 Aug 8th, 2018, 11:25
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
Interweb
Posts:
16,173
  • vaibhav_arora is offline
#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonIndianResident View Post Huh? I haven't seen MI, but Turtuk is in Baltistan, and currently in Leh District so could be considered in Ladakh, but by no stretch of terminology is Turtuk in Kashmir. But did the movie imply it is?
From a Hollywood standpoint it was ....
#164 Aug 8th, 2018, 11:45
Join Date:
Jan 2010
Location:
North Rhine-Westphalia
Posts:
7,113
  • Golghar is offline
#164
The "token" one received while withrdrawing cash at the bank!
#165 Aug 8th, 2018, 12:23
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
Interweb
Posts:
16,173
  • vaibhav_arora is offline
#165
Well, cash withdrawal at the bank itself is now down significantly.
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Disappearing FC in India May 3rd, 2009 02:14 8 1645 Indian Railways


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success