Ooty - Mysore by bus travel time?

#1 Jul 7th, 2008, 23:22
Join Date:
Jul 2008
Location:
Pondicherry / Hyderabad
Posts:
30
  • monickam is offline
#1
Hello to all Indiamikers.

I'm travelling to Bangalore from Ooty on the 16th of August (Saturday). I plan to travel by bus from Ooty to Mysore and then catch a train to Bangalore. I would like to know the travel time between Ooty and mysore by bus.

There are 3 trains leaving Mysore that I'm interested in (at the following times)

2.20 pm
3.45 pm
5.00 pm

What time would I have to leave Ooty in time to catch the 2.20 pm train at Mysore?
#2 Jul 8th, 2008, 09:42
Join Date:
Apr 2003
Location:
en route from Timbuk1 to Timbuk2
Posts:
1,121
  • Jean-Philipe is offline
#2
I did it recently. It took about 7 hours by bus, due to road construction. You would have to leave very early to catch the 2.20 train.
It's all part of the adventure of travelling!

indiajp.blogspot.in
#3 Jul 8th, 2008, 11:18
Join Date:
Oct 2003
Location:
Hyderabad
Posts:
1,505
  • Bigzero is offline
#3
Another point to note is that there are buses every 10-15 min from Mysore to Ooty - And now that the road is good, the journey time should be less as well.
miles to go....

Bigzero's Photo Gallery
#4 Jul 8th, 2008, 12:44
Join Date:
Apr 2003
Location:
en route from Timbuk1 to Timbuk2
Posts:
1,121
  • Jean-Philipe is offline
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post Another point to note is that there are buses every 10-15 min from Mysore to Ooty - And now that the road is good, the journey time should be less as well.
Well, like the curate's egg, parts of it are good. But it is very much still under construction in parts, and can be very slow.
#5 Jul 8th, 2008, 12:47
Join Date:
Oct 2003
Location:
Hyderabad
Posts:
1,505
  • Bigzero is offline
#5
I was referring to the Mysore-Bangalore stretch - I suppose they have completed work on that stretch?
#6 Jul 8th, 2008, 13:02
Join Date:
Apr 2003
Location:
en route from Timbuk1 to Timbuk2
Posts:
1,121
  • Jean-Philipe is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post I was referring to the Mysore-Bangalore stretch - I suppose they have completed work on that stretch?
Well, that's irrelevant since OP is doing Mysore to Bangalore by train.
#7 Jul 8th, 2008, 13:16
Join Date:
Jul 2008
Location:
Pondicherry / Hyderabad
Posts:
30
  • monickam is offline
#7
Thanks Jean, I was thinking about 5-6 hours. Maybe then it would only be realistic to catch the 5 pm train at Mysore.

Bigzero, I'm taking the train from Mysore because I felt the traffic might be crazy getting into Bangalore city at night.
#8 Jul 8th, 2008, 13:16
Join Date:
Oct 2003
Location:
Hyderabad
Posts:
1,505
  • Bigzero is offline
#8
Sorry about the confusion - I was referring to bus as an alternate option between Mysore and Bangalore...

I agree on the Ooty-Mysore section- some stretches are good, some are in bad shape .

Jean-Philipe, I assume you must have come via Pykara, Gudalur etc - how is the ghat section there ( the descent from Ooty to Gudalur) ? It was terrible a year back. Almost impossible to drive. Have things improved?
#9 Jul 8th, 2008, 15:52
Join Date:
Apr 2003
Location:
en route from Timbuk1 to Timbuk2
Posts:
1,121
  • Jean-Philipe is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post Jean-Philipe, I assume you must have come via Pykara, Gudalur etc - how is the ghat section there ( the descent from Ooty to Gudalur) ? It was terrible a year back. Almost impossible to drive. Have things improved?
Yes, that's the route the bus takes. Some parts are dreadful. Just before Gudalur was a real bottleneck. Glad I wasn't driving my bike.
Last edited by Jean-Philipe; Jul 8th, 2008 at 15:58.. Reason: Fixed typo
#10 Jul 8th, 2008, 16:05
Join Date:
Oct 2003
Location:
Hyderabad
Posts:
1,505
  • Bigzero is offline
#10
Oh ok.

Such a nice & scenic route, to be marred by bad roads, its a shame.
#11 Jul 8th, 2008, 16:27
Join Date:
Apr 2003
Location:
en route from Timbuk1 to Timbuk2
Posts:
1,121
  • Jean-Philipe is offline
#11
Well, at least they are working to fix it up. Where the construction is finished the road is fine. It'll be a pleasure to drive in another year or so.
#12 Jul 11th, 2008, 08:06
Join Date:
Feb 2007
Location:
India
Posts:
2,388
  • pmvelu is offline
#12
Monickom , ooty - Mysore is 4 1/2 hours in bus !

Road Conditions ( Mysore- ooty):- [As on June 1st week,2008].

Mysore - Gundlupet ---> Road Condition is Excellent
Gundlupet - Bandipura [5 kms before Bandipura exactly] --> Pathetic in patches and overall this strech is poor to the core [Around 15 kms I would say]
Bandipura- Mudumalai/ Teppakadu ---> Excellent
Mudumalai/Teppekadu - + 15 kms --> Single road with Pot holes on both ends of the road [ In patches only]and Ok Kind of !
From this point upto ooty --> Excellent road [ bigzero , it's just reverse of what it was a year back] and hence No problem at all now !!
#13 Jul 11th, 2008, 14:26
Join Date:
Oct 2003
Location:
Hyderabad
Posts:
1,505
  • Bigzero is offline
#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmvelu From this point upto ooty --> Excellent road [ bigzero , it's just reverse of what it was a year back] and hence No problem at all now !!
#14 Jul 15th, 2008, 00:01
Join Date:
Jul 2008
Location:
Pondicherry / Hyderabad
Posts:
30
  • monickam is offline
#14
Thanks pmvelu. But now I do not know whose word to take - yours or Jean-Philipe's (refer post #2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmvelu View Post Monickom , ooty - Mysore is 4 1/2 hours in bus !

Road Conditions ( Mysore- ooty):- [As on June 1st week,2008].

Mysore - Gundlupet ---> Road Condition is Excellent
Gundlupet - Bandipura [5 kms before Bandipura exactly] --> Pathetic in patches and overall this strech is poor to the core [Around 15 kms I would say]
Bandipura- Mudumalai/ Teppakadu ---> Excellent
Mudumalai/Teppekadu - + 15 kms --> Single road with Pot holes on both ends of the road [ In patches only]and Ok Kind of !
From this point upto ooty --> Excellent road [ bigzero , it's just reverse of what it was a year back] and hence No problem at all now !!
#15 Jul 15th, 2008, 09:29
Join Date:
Apr 2003
Location:
en route from Timbuk1 to Timbuk2
Posts:
1,121
  • Jean-Philipe is offline
#15

Ooty to Mysore travel time

Quote:
Originally Posted by monickam View Post Thanks pmvelu. But now I do not know whose word to take - yours or Jean-Philipe's (refer post #2)
Depends on your mode of travel.

We were travelling on a full-size bus. The route is also done by mini-vans, which are faster because they make fewer stops. There are several which leave Ooty about 9:30am. There are probably earlier departures too. They claim 4 1/2 hours travel time.

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
the transporation from Mysore to Ooty and Ooty to Ernakulam? Jun 19th, 2012 01:34 4 18163 India Travel Itinerary Advice
Bus from Mysore to Ooty Jan 24th, 2012 10:30 11 15076 Buses, Automobiles, Motorcycles, and Bicycles
Ooty Travel Information - Time and Stay Jun 15th, 2008 23:40 6 9780 Udagamandalam (Ooty)
Bus Travel from Manali to Leh at this time? Jun 5th, 2006 14:33 1 1860 Chai and Chat
Bus travel from Kerala to Mysore Jul 2nd, 2004 22:32 6 7202 Kerala


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success