10 Days North East India Trip - Advice
India > India Travel > India Travel Itinerary Advice
| Member

10 Days North East India Trip - Advice

I am in Indian National living in Bangalore. I am planning a 10 day trip to North East India covering Shillong (Meghalaya), the Kaziranga Wildlife Park(Assam) and Tawang and Bomdila (Arunachal Pradesh). I need some suggestions/advice from experienced travellers who have been to North India.

Option 1: Book the tour covering the above places through a tour operator. This involves no risk and journey is confirmed.

Option 2: Book the airtickets and accomodation by self. Later the internal domestic travel which involves
travelling from Shillong to Kaziranga
travelling from Kazirange to Tawang and further some short travel to nearby destinations will have to be done by self.

But I am wondering if this can be organized once I am in the city? Secondly will be there be some jeep or local transportation to get to these places? Is the tourism very much established? I am having no idea so if someone could provide some information and travel experience it would be great. If I book my tickets and arrive at the place as a bagpacker is it advisable? Thanks in Advance for all who can provide thier valuable expereince.

3 Replies

| H V Kumar
You can take shared taxis all over the place.
From Shillong, you can travel to Kaziranga. 4/5 hours
From Kaziranga, travel to Tezpur. 2 hours
From Tezpur, taxis depart for Tawang. Full day.

Don't blow up your money and tour flexibility by booking into any conducted tours.
Hotels are cheap in North East, you can walk in at places like Bomdila and Tawang. Lot of choices in Kaziranga.
H V Kumar
| Member
Thanks Kumar, I quick Question. Is permit required for Indian Passport Holders to travel to Tawang and Bomdila(both in Arunachal Pradesh)?
| H V Kumar

Permit for Arunachal

Unforunately, Indians also need permits to travel anywhere in Arunachal, including Bomdila-Tawang. You have to obtain it in advance - permits are checked at the Assam-Arunachal border town of Balukhpong.

Apply for it in advance either through Arunachal Bhavan in Delhi/any other offices or through a travel agent in Guwahati.
H V Kumar

Related Posts