Himachal Itinerary - May 2016

#1 Feb 8th, 2016, 18:39
Join Date:
Jan 2013
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
51
  • hemang is offline
#1
We are 4 families planning a trip to Himachal at the end of May this year. We have children in age range 4-14.
We have made the following itinerary based on inputs from others who have travelled in this area :
Day 1 : Mumbai to Chandigarh - Stay over
Day 2 : Chandigarh to Narkanda
Day 3 : Narkanda to Sangla
Day 4 : Sangla
Day 5 : Sangla
Day 6 : Sangla
Day 7 : Sangla to Kaza
Day 8 : Kaza
Day 9 : Kaza to Tabo
Day 10 : Tabo to Kalpa
Day 11 : Kalpa
Day 12 : Kalpa to Sarahan
Day 13 : Sarahan to Chandigarh and back to Mumbai

So we have 1N in Chandigarh and Narkanda, 4N in Sangla, 2N in Kaza, 1N in Tabo, 2N in Kalpa and 1N in Sarahan

Is this itinerary too hectic?

Please suggest any changes.
#2 Feb 8th, 2016, 18:45
Join Date:
Dec 2008
Location:
Interweb
Posts:
16,359
  • vaibhav_arora is offline
#2
Go from Sangla to Tabo first and stay there. Then a day in Tabo. Then to Kaza and time spent there. It works better altitude-wise. During your time in Sangla you may choose to do a day trip to Chitkul if you're not planning to stay in Chitkul. It's nicer than Sangla.

Take off a day from Sangla and add it to Kalpa for the return leg. If you can add a day overall, cover Dhankar en-route Kaza and stay in Kaza for at least two nights. If you can add two, add Key / Hikkim (ex Kaza). My TR (in signature) will give you some idea of the places and the scenery they afford.
#3 Feb 8th, 2016, 19:04
Join Date:
Dec 2011
Location:
Kalyan, Thane
Posts:
259
  • WeareTourists is offline
#3
Dear hemang
i have replied to your thread in uttarakhand forum, please read that.
Now about this itinerary....
Will kids enjoy on this route ? I am not sure.... not discouraging you.... just get ensured.
I am sure IMkers will clear this doubt as well.
Good wishes foe your trip...
#4 Feb 8th, 2016, 19:30
Join Date:
Jan 2013
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
51
  • hemang is offline
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_arora View Post Go from Sangla to Tabo first and stay there. Then a day in Tabo. Then to Kaza and time spent there. It works better altitude-wise. During your time in Sangla you may choose to do a day trip to Chitkul if you're not planning to stay in Chitkul. It's nicer than Sangla.

Take off a day from Sangla and add it to Kalpa for the return leg. If you can add a day overall, cover Dhankar en-route Kaza and stay in Kaza for at least two nights. If you can add two, add Key / Hikkim (ex Kaza). My TR (in signature) will give you some idea of the places and the scenery they afford.
Thanks for the suggestions. Will check out the places. How are the road conditions upto Kaza / Tabo? And otherwise? What average speeds to expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeareTourists View Post Dear hemang
i have replied to your thread in uttarakhand forum, please read that.
Now about this itinerary....
Will kids enjoy on this route ? I am not sure.... not discouraging you.... just get ensured.
I am sure IMkers will clear this doubt as well.
Good wishes foe your trip...
Thanks, saw your post in the other forum too. Our friends have been to Nainital and Binsar so we have to cancel that. Hence thought of this.
Appreciate your concerns. We have been on some road trips with out kids and also to Kashmir and historical places. So probably they may not have a problem, and specially since we are 2 families. I am more concerned that the road and weather should not be too harsh, not just for them, also for us.
#5 Feb 9th, 2016, 18:36
Join Date:
Jan 2013
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
51
  • hemang is offline
#5
Hi, we are 2 families planning a visit to Himachal at the end of May. We have 4 kids, ages 8 to 13. We will be hiring a taxi (Tempo Traveller maybe) for our stay. We have almost decided on Chandigarh-Shimla-Sangla-Kalpa-Narkanda-Chandigarh route. Can we also go to Kaza and Tabo? Will it be too harsh with kids? Is the travelling too much?
#6 Feb 9th, 2016, 18:46
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
hyderabad/Kolkata
Posts:
5,020
  • nayan is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemang View Post Hi, we are 2 families planning a visit to Himachal at the end of May. We have 4 kids, ages 8 to 13. We will be hiring a taxi (Tempo Traveller maybe) for our stay. We have almost decided on Chandigarh-Shimla-Sangla-Kalpa-Narkanda-Chandigarh route. Can we also go to Kaza and Tabo? Will it be too harsh with kids? Is the travelling too much?
With proper acclimatization Why should it be a problem?
8 yrs old is old enough to speak out if feeling unwell.

How many days is the trip for. If you intend to cover both Kinnaur and Spiti I hope you have atleast 10 to 12 days in hand. If its a 1 week trip then forget about spiti.
#7 Feb 10th, 2016, 10:15
Join Date:
Jan 2013
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
51
  • hemang is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayan View Post With proper acclimatization Why should it be a problem?
8 yrs old is old enough to speak out if feeling unwell.

How many days is the trip for. If you intend to cover both Kinnaur and Spiti I hope you have atleast 10 to 12 days in hand. If its a 1 week trip then forget about spiti.
THanks for the reply.
We are still finilazing the itinerary. At present thinking of
D1 Chandigarh
D2 To Thanedar
D3 Thanedar
D4 To Sangla
D5 / D7 Sangla
D8 To Kalpa
D9 / D10 Kalpa
D11 To Kufri
D12 To chandigarh and back to Mumbai

We were thinking of incorporating Spiti in between this. Say we go direct from Sangla to Kaza and spend 3 nights, then come to Kalpa and spend 2 nights. Don't stay in Tabo. Is this doable? How much time would it take from Sangla to Kaza? Maybe we will cut down 1N in Sangla.

Please advice.
#8 Feb 10th, 2016, 10:20
Join Date:
Jan 2013
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
51
  • hemang is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemang View Post Thanks for the suggestions. Will check out the places. How are the road conditions upto Kaza / Tabo? And otherwise? What average speeds to expect?



Thanks, saw your post in the other forum too. Our friends have been to Nainital and Binsar so we have to cancel that. Hence thought of this.
Appreciate your concerns. We have been on some road trips with out kids and also to Kashmir and historical places. So probably they may not have a problem, and specially since we are 2 families. I am more concerned that the road and weather should not be too harsh, not just for them, also for us.
We are still not sure about going to Kaza / Tabo because of the altitude. Would the following itinerary be too hectic? Can we skip Tabo and just stay in Kaza, or other way round?
Day 1 : Mumbai to Chandigarh - Stay over
Day 2 : Chandigarh to Thanedar
Day 3 : Thanedar
Day 4 : Thanedar to Sangla
Day 5 : Sangla
Day 6 : Sangla
Day 7 : Sangla to Kaza
Day 8 : Kaza
Day 9 : Kaza
Day 10 : Kaza to Kalpa
Day 11 : Kalpa
Day 12 : Kalpa to Kufri
Day 13 : Kufri
Day 14 : Kufri to Chandigarh and back to Mumbai

Kindly give your suggestions
#9 Feb 10th, 2016, 14:03
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
hyderabad/Kolkata
Posts:
5,020
  • nayan is offline
#9
Itinerary is fine.
Sangla to kaza will be 10 hours at least.
#10 Feb 10th, 2016, 18:46
Join Date:
Jan 2013
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
51
  • hemang is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayan View Post Itinerary is fine.
Sangla to kaza will be 10 hours at least.
What if we stay in Tabo for all 3 nights and just go to Kaza on one of the days? Is that possible or we would miss to see something? We don't want to change hotels too often if possible.
Also, can Tempo Traveller go all the way to Kaza or we have to book another vehicle?
#11 Feb 10th, 2016, 22:33
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
hyderabad/Kolkata
Posts:
5,020
  • nayan is offline
#11
Kaza has more accommodation options.
So it is better to stay in kaza.
You can visit Tabo the day you are coming back from kaza. The Tabo monastery is unique.
#12 Feb 11th, 2016, 23:00
Join Date:
Jan 2013
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
51
  • hemang is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayan View Post Kaza has more accommodation options.
So it is better to stay in kaza.
You can visit Tabo the day you are coming back from kaza. The Tabo monastery is unique.
We are not going to Spiti finally. Number of people recommended against it with kids and also in that month. Were told August - September is better. Travel agent is also not keen.
So now thinking of 2N Narkanda or Thanedar, 4N Sangla, 2N Kalpa, 2N Fagu.
We were thinking of adding one day to Kalpa and doing a day trip to Nako or maybe somewhere else nearby.
Is 7N between Sangla and Kalpa too much?
#13 Feb 11th, 2016, 23:57
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
hyderabad/Kolkata
Posts:
5,020
  • nayan is offline
#13
May should not be a problem for spiti at all.
And children(as long as they can speak out clearly) do not suffer from AMS any more than adults.

but if you have decided then its ok.
I would love to stay 7 days in Kinnaur
Nako is very close to Tabo. A to and fro trip to nako from Kalpa is going to be about 10 to 12 hours in the car.
#14 Apr 8th, 2016, 00:52
Join Date:
Jan 2013
Location:
Mumbai
Posts:
51
  • hemang is offline
#14

Himachal Itinerary - May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayan View Post May should not be a problem for spiti at all.
And children(as long as they can speak out clearly) do not suffer from AMS any more than adults.

but if you have decided then its ok.
I would love to stay 7 days in Kinnaur
Nako is very close to Tabo. A to and fro trip to nako from Kalpa is going to be about 10 to 12 hours in the car.
Thanks. We have booked in Kinnaur only. Not going to Nako as day trip would be hectic
#15 Apr 8th, 2016, 17:15
Join Date:
Jul 2015
Location:
Himalayas, India
Posts:
253
  • LOWKEY_ is offline
#15
i would suggest to decrease 01 night in sangla and add 10 night in nako. worth it

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Itinerary for Agra-Delhi Trip in March 2016 Feb 25th, 2016 19:55 2 2778 Agra
Need Help in Itinerary - Arunachal / Nagaland -Jan 2016 Jan 6th, 2016 18:20 1 1186 India Travel Itinerary Advice
August 2016 Weather /Itinerary Advice Jan 6th, 2016 18:17 1 767 India Travel Itinerary Advice
Kashmir trip itinerary ( 19th Feb 2016- 24th Feb 2016) Nov 5th, 2015 10:44 1 2342 Jammu & Kashmir


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success