Amritsar-Dharmshala-Mclodganj-Palampur-Manali-Amritsar - itinerary help needed
glamour296
India > States in India > India Travel > Himachal Pradesh
#1
| Andy

Amritsar-Dharmshala-Mclodganj-Palampur-Manali-Amritsar - itinerary help needed

Hi Friends,
I am going to get married in coming June, and planning for a romantic honeymoon in Himachal Pradesh. Wanted to plan my travel with by own with the help today's globalization in networking, cause I have heard a lot of stories of fraudulent travel packages. I have planned my route, but when it is time for booking hotels and car for local travel, I need your valued experience.
I was planning route as follows, Amritsar-Dharmshala-Mclodganj-Palampur-Manali-Amritsar, I have tried to collect the information about available site seeing on these destinations. But all these things are on paper only, your experience will surely add grace to my holidays.
So friends please tell me know about your experience on these destinations, also please let me know any reliable travel agency which will provide this package with good services.
Thanks in advance...

CA Note: itinerary comment requests are quite common. I've toned down the title a bit.

19 Replies

#2
| Maha Guru Member
Honeymoon and so many destinations?? ou could remove a couple of places, and you don't really need a travel agency when you're on IM.
#3
| Andy
From the list, Amritsar is get down point, to start the journey. Main places are 4, also I am not too sure about Palampur...
#4
| Photo Jockey
Hi glamour296,

I am based in Amritsar and could find out about taxi from here if you want. One company is Ranveer Travels, who's taxi services I use for my work travels. The concerned person's contact no. is +919815421366
I certainly agree with ashwinnagar on the point that you should not include too many places for your honeymoon.

Do let me know if I could be of any help.

Best
Ramin
#5
| Maha Guru Member
You could also call the Himachal Taxi Union,they should be able to arrange a taxi.
#6
| Andy
Thanks Ramin & ashwinnagar for your repl... which places, you think, can be ejected from this list.
#7
| Member

Originally posted by: glamour296 View Post

Thanks Ramin & ashwinnagar for your repl... which places, you think, can be ejected from this list.


Late June is a tricky time in mountains, you have to account for the monsoon. Its not generally as bad as july/august (read broken roads, landslides), but the monsoon is not predictable is it?

Even Mcleod, the best place in your list might present some problems. I would say just keep Mcleod and Manali. Because they have good road access, airport is nearby etc.

It might be better actually if you choose just one of this, and do daytrips from there.

Monsoon in the hills has its own charm, but travelling a lot in monsoon, that too for honeymoon is not recommended.
#8
| Maha Guru Member
June is a pretty good time to visit Manali. I would say 2 days for McLeodGanj,4 days for Manali is good. And a day for Amritsar.
#9
| Andy

Originally posted by: OccasionalTraveller View Post

Late June is a tricky time in mountains, you have to account for the monsoon. Its not generally as bad as july/august (read broken roads, landslides), but the monsoon is not predictable is it?

Even Mcleod, the best place in your list might present some problems. I would say just keep Mcleod and Manali. Because they have good road access, airport is nearby etc.

It might be better actually if you choose just one of this, and do daytrips from there.

Monsoon in the hills has its own charm, but travelling a lot in monsoon, that too for honeymoon is not recommended.

------
Thanks OT, Kerala is near by my place, & it was my first preference, but I cancelled it because of this Monsoon only... hope this monsoon will not spoil my honeymoon there in HP..
#10
| Maha Guru Member
#11
| Senior Member
Hi ,Please drop palampur, there is nothing there except tea gardens which can be seen from your car enroute.By the way are you going to amritsar for the golden temple???
#12
| Member

Originally posted by: glamour296 View Post

------
Thanks OT, Kerala is near by my place, & it was my first preference, but I cancelled it because of this Monsoon only... hope this monsoon will not spoil my honeymoon there in HP..


Monsoon starts almost a month later in HP than Kerala, so I think thats a good decision. Just don't pack your itinerary with too much travel and have some buffer.. Happy Honeymoon!
#13
| Andy

Originally posted by: kunal s View Post

Hi ,Please drop palampur, there is nothing there except tea gardens which can be seen from your car enroute.By the way are you going to amritsar for the golden temple???


----
I will take a note of this, yes surely, I will be visiting Golden Temple..

Originally posted by: kunal s View Post

Hi ,Please drop palampur, there is nothing there except tea gardens which can be seen from your car enroute.By the way are you going to amritsar for the golden temple???


Originally posted by: OccasionalTraveller View Post

Monsoon starts almost a month later in HP than Kerala, so I think thats a good decision. Just don't pack your itinerary with too much travel and have some buffer.. Happy Honeymoon!


---
Surely will drop this palampur, will only include Mcleodganj and Manali.. thanks..

Do you know any good hotel in Mcleoganj and Manali..
#14
| Member
Mcleod ganj - you can check out pema thang http://www.pemathang.net/rooms.html or Annex

Manali - no idea. I have heard that the hotels in Solang area are a bit more peaceful. Please search the threads in this section (himachal), you will get lot of options..
#15
| Photo Jockey

Originally posted by: OccasionalTraveller View Post

Mcleod ganj - you can check out pema thang http://www.pemathang.net/rooms.html or Annex

Manali - no idea. I have heard that the hotels in Solang area are a bit more peaceful. Please search the threads in this section (himachal), you will get lot of options..


I visited McLeodganj on April 5 and Premathang is undergoing complete renovation. They are building all new rooms and everything I guess. I did not ask for rooms as it was obvious from the look from outside.