Piles and quacks

#1 Jul 25th, 2017, 21:55
Join Date:
Aug 2003
Location:
ratlam, in beautiful madhya pradesh
Posts:
373
  • salima is offline
#1
has anyone actually gone to a person in india who says he can cure piles without surgery? i mean surely that is not possible, but so many people i know have sworn this works. i think they are mistaken. sounds like a hoax and a scam to me.

first of all, a 'person' nearby gives allopathic medicine that i can recognize, except for the ‘injection’ which is actually a tube that is squeezed up the back where the patient cant see and wont say what that medicine is. then the charge is 11,000
rupees for a series of three ‘injections’ that comes with a guarantee to keep piles away for two years.

my personal opinion is that a guarantee is meaningless if the person who gives it is a liar, and the reason for not saying what the treatment is would be because it is easily available for very little money to anyone who wants to try it. not to mention that a person who would charge a fantastic amount of money for it is a thief.

i would like to get other opinions on this especially in case anyone knows if they all use the same method, or same stuff like preparation h.
Last edited by salima; Jul 25th, 2017 at 21:56.. Reason: clarification
#2 Jul 25th, 2017, 23:44
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,782
  • Nick-H is offline
#2
Post of the day! No... Thread of the month!

Nothing is really secret. Probably the local doctors can tell you what those other people do, and what their magic tube is. You could save yourself 11,000 Rs with a hundred-rupee chat.

The no-secrets thing is even more certain because it is in a tube, and, if it is in a tube it has been manufactured. Or started life as something else and was painted over.

Squeezing glycerine up people's backsides at 11,000Rs a time? Hmmm... not a nice job, but I suppose someone has to do it

By the way, and as you might have noticed... Nobody in the Indian alternative/traditional/etc therapy business has ever heard of what I was told as golden rule number one: Never, but never, tell someone you can definitely cure them.
~
Life gets aadhar every day.
.
#3 Jul 26th, 2017, 00:36
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
cloud
Posts:
1,480
  • RPG is online now
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salima View Post has anyone actually gone to a person in india who says he can cure piles without surgery? i mean surely that is not possible, but so many people i know have sworn this works.
If many people swear that it works, then it must work. The best science is based on the personal testimony of people you meet.

PS You have to believe that it works. If you don't, then it doesn't work. You must also trust, and not ask questions about the ingredients used. Blessed are they who have not seen, but have believed.

PPS India is a very religious country, so it is fertile ground...
#4 Jul 26th, 2017, 08:40
Join Date:
Aug 2003
Location:
ratlam, in beautiful madhya pradesh
Posts:
373
  • salima is offline
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post Post of the day! No... Thread of the month!

Nothing is really secret. Probably the local doctors can tell you what those other people do, and what their magic tube is. You could save yourself 11,000 Rs with a hundred-rupee chat.

The no-secrets thing is even more certain because it is in a tube, and, if it is in a tube it has been manufactured. Or started life as something else and was painted over.

Squeezing glycerine up people's backsides at 11,000Rs a time? Hmmm... not a nice job, but I suppose someone has to do it

By the way, and as you might have noticed... Nobody in the Indian alternative/traditional/etc therapy business has ever heard of what I was told as golden rule number one: Never, but never, tell someone you can definitely cure them.
nick, you are TOO funny!
there are of course also many local ideas on how to get the blood fattened up right away without transfusions. but they only fatten the wallets of dealers in exotic food items that are too expensive to buy under normal circumstances for a lot of people.

i am not saying nontraditional medicine doesnt work-for instance, i was bitten by red ants at one point and after two weeks the leg was still killing me, not itching but all day all night pain. the remedy is to put on lime paste-and i mean one time and i was fine. but i didnt have to pay anyone 11,000 rs for it and i wasnt taking chances with my life by refusing surgery that would take care of the problem. in fact, i bet there is no allopathic cure that would have worked for me on that.

i know a man who was bit by some insect on his farm, and from his symptoms i knew he was in anaphallactic shock (spelling?) but he didnt go to a doctor. he did go to some local quack who waved peacock feathers at him and thinks that is what cured him. he was just lucky-or blessed, rather. it was only the grace of god that cured him.

but to get back to piles, there are very serious cases where the intestines can become infected and have to be partially removed due to abcesses, though the majority of cases will ease up on their own in more or less time with a little help from one or another tube.
#5 Jul 26th, 2017, 08:50
Join Date:
Aug 2003
Location:
ratlam, in beautiful madhya pradesh
Posts:
373
  • salima is offline
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG View Post If many people swear that it works, then it must work. The best science is based on the personal testimony of people you meet.

PS You have to believe that it works. If you don't, then it doesn't work. You must also trust, and not ask questions about the ingredients used. Blessed are they who have not seen, but have believed.

PPS India is a very religious country, so it is fertile ground...
i seriously believe in the magic of believing, but i dont believe in quacks.

i have also seen, in india, people daily doing the most impossible things, most likely because they do believe, and that is awesome.

i dont want to demean anyone's faith but i dont want to encourage people to take chances with their lives when it comes to medical decisions either.

and i also do bless the ground of india, yaar. it is profoundly endued with a very strong life current and potential for true miracles abound.
#6 Jul 26th, 2017, 12:09
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Land that shakes and bakes.
Posts:
15,821
  • edwardseco is offline
#6
It is interesting that a recent study of knee surgeries indicated that the reduction of pain after surgery was no less than that if the patient was fooled into thinking an operation had taken place (placebo). I once cured a sinus infection by seeing a doctor who gave me a prescription that would have cost mega bucks when I was uninsured. Next day I felt better and the day after more so... A friend who had been paralyzed in one leg for seven years finally went to an Ayurvedic practitioner in desperation and was cured. Hard to tell about the human mind and condition..
#7 Jul 26th, 2017, 14:26
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,782
  • Nick-H is offline
#7
Piles serious, yes. I supported someone through treatment. It was a charitable hospital, but I think it cost us more than 11k. And he is not fully fit yet.

There are numerous reasons, some involving mental and emotional factors, for something getting better. I include not only the alternative, but the metaphysical too.

But, as mentioned on a stomach thread, generally the last thing a person tries will be the one that "worked." at least for acute problems.

I have waved crystals and chanted at herbs. All sorts of stuff. But always knowing that the mind must enquire, and that feelings may help recovery, but they do not make good scientists in these matters. And often, the real answer to what worked was... Time.

But back to the guy with his tubes. Allopathic docs may not understand ayurveda, etc, but they often do know exactly what the real quacks are up to.

By the way. We do have a lot of ants in the house at the moment. Only tiny ones, but sometimes they do bite. Would lime juice help? It seems unlikely because isn't the hurting substance in ant bites acid? Formic acid?
#8 Jul 27th, 2017, 00:01
Join Date:
Aug 2003
Location:
ratlam, in beautiful madhya pradesh
Posts:
373
  • salima is offline
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post Piles serious, yes. I supported someone through treatment. It was a charitable hospital, but I think it cost us more than 11k. And he is not fully fit yet.

There are numerous reasons, some involving mental and emotional factors, for something getting better. I include not only the alternative, but the metaphysical too.

But, as mentioned on a stomach thread, generally the last thing a person tries will be the one that "worked." at least for acute problems.

I have waved crystals and chanted at herbs. All sorts of stuff. But always knowing that the mind must enquire, and that feelings may help recovery, but they do not make good scientists in these matters. And often, the real answer to what worked was... Time.

But back to the guy with his tubes. Allopathic docs may not understand ayurveda, etc, but they often do know exactly what the real quacks are up to.

By the way. We do have a lot of ants in the house at the moment. Only tiny ones, but sometimes they do bite. Would lime juice help? It seems unlikely because isn't the hurting substance in ant bites acid? Formic acid?
the tube the doctor prescribes for rasheed had iodine in it i believe. nothing magical about that.

my younger brother in usa has had this problem along with ibs for decades, and he recently had to have emergency surgery and somehow the doctors missed that he had at least three huge abscesses going on which had to be removed, along with a lot of his intestines. his surgery was some time last year and the issue is not yet resolved. they had done a temporary colostomy intending to put him back together in a few months, but when the time came they gave up the idea and said that no one could ever put him together again. he is happy enough with the colostomy because he says now he can eat whatever he wants and not have any problems and he doesnt have to go to the bathroom so many times a day at inconvenient moments.but there are other issues both physical and emotional that are going on.

lime juice is one of the home remedies listed often for ant bites, which are actually stings. but lime also stands for limestone, which the paste for paan is made of, and that is what i was introduced to. it is calcium actually, and a lot of people think that it is a good dietary supplement but i read some negative things about that.

do you want to repel or kill the ants, or just ease the pain of the bite?

maybe we should start a bugbite thread?
Last edited by salima; Jul 27th, 2017 at 00:07.. Reason: additional reference
#9 Jul 27th, 2017, 00:56
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,782
  • Nick-H is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by salima View Post lime juice is one of the home remedies listed often for ant bites, which are actually stings. but lime also stands for limestone, which the paste for paan is made of, and that is what i was introduced to. it is calcium actually, and a lot of people think that it is a good dietary supplement but i read some negative things about that.
Oh, that kind of lime! Yes, I believe it can be rather dangerous.
Quote:
do you want to repel or kill the ants, or just ease the pain of the bite?
Yes
Quote:
maybe we should start a bugbite thread?
I think we have a few already!
#10 Jul 27th, 2017, 01:17
Join Date:
Jan 2016
Location:
Faridabad {fraudabad}
Posts:
758
  • RahulDeva is offline
#10
Do you believe in ayurved and home remedies? I have a book by vaidya ajit mehta {80% sure if I remember the name right}. Have to search for it though as it got buried somewhere while shifting. Many of his remedies worked wonders. For piles it was the ash of coconut husk mixed with buttermilk. Don't remember the quantities, but can search if you want to try.
#11 Jul 27th, 2017, 05:15
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,782
  • Nick-H is offline
#11
These days my first recourse tends to be western medicine. Mrs N tends to look to Sidha and Ayurveda.

Reading books and buying from herb shops and Himalaya Herbal medicines is good for the Moderately trivial, but for anything else, a real doctor is as necessary in those traditions as it is in allopathy. Mrs. N seems to have a good one at the moment.
#12 Jul 27th, 2017, 11:57
Join Date:
Jan 2016
Location:
Faridabad {fraudabad}
Posts:
758
  • RahulDeva is offline
#12
Agree with that. But for some trivial things which can be easily cured by home remedies and ayurved I prefer to avoid allopathy. I suffered a lot from amoebic dysentery. Tried various doctors and various options from reiki to allopathy. Lost 30 kgs in 3-4 months. Ultimately discovered a 75 year old vaidya ji who promised relief after one month but only if I was regular With medicine and diet restrictions. A course of 3 months cured me completely.
#13 Jul 27th, 2017, 12:14
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Land that shakes and bakes.
Posts:
15,821
  • edwardseco is offline
#13
That condition can persist in the human body only to reoccur after it has damaged the liver..
#14 Jul 28th, 2017, 13:52
Join Date:
Aug 2003
Location:
ratlam, in beautiful madhya pradesh
Posts:
373
  • salima is offline
#14
piles can be a trivial thing and dysentery can be a serious issue too, it depends on the situation. i think it would be worth trying alternatives if there was no issue of time, they usually take longer than allopathic. but if rasheed was still losing blood at the rte he did for about ten days surgery would be imperative.

the transfusions are finished and tonight we will speak to the doctor about his thoughts on prognosis. if he wanted surgery now i would be inclined to reject it without some proof there was something in particular going on that justified it.

it is impossible for me to be sure what cured or relieved a symptom because i am skeptical by nature. i once had a severe attack of trigeminal neuralgia that lasted two or three months. just as i was literally on the point of suicide i tried homeopathy and at the first dose half the pain was gone. i waited til next day, then took another and it was completely gone. but there is no way to be sure that would not have happened at the same time if i had not taken anything, and no way to repeat the situation to verify. nerve pain can be like that-disappear suddenly and completely. but i guarantee that would be the first thing i try if i ever get it again!
#15 Jul 28th, 2017, 14:06
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,782
  • Nick-H is offline
#15
Yes, that's sort-of my attitude too.

Just because something is only "anecdotal" doesn't mean not to try it.

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Trip to Leh (piles at altitude?) Jul 3rd, 2005 17:10 0 1395 Health and Well Being in India


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success