Exchange Rate
tkwish
India > States in India > India Travel > Goa
#1
| Member

Exchange Rate

Hi can someone who is in goa at the moment tell me what the exchange rate is on the street (English pounds/Indian rupees)
thanks for any help
Brian

23 Replies

#2
| retired
It's 77.49 at the moment, so maybe 76.5-77 on the street.

However, the £ has been hovering between 74 and 76.5 for the last month, and I'll be very happy if it settles at around 75 (as I expect it to come back down).

It was 70 a few months ago, and that was when I booked my hotels for November/December, so I'm a little cheesed of that I paid out at a bad time, however, I planned the spending money based on 70, so 77 has me doing the kango at the moment.
#3
| Survivor
Have found this one to be very accurate when compared to bank statements from using a Nationwide debit card in cash points....

http://www.x-rates.com/d/INR/GBP/graph30.html

It reflected what we were actually getting on a daily basis rather than needing to adjust for "street prices", which, many years ago were very good but nowadays are not so. Also with "street exchanges you are vulnerable to being given a massive wodge of smaller denomination notes with a lot missing, on the basis that you will not stand and count them all. Even if you do, the proprietor will simply apologise profusely and hand over the difference. This popular scam has been going on for at least 20 years and quickly turns a good exchange rate into a terrible one.
#4
| Member
i have an app on my phone that is giving exchange rates as 77.555 thought that sounded very high as on the street last year it was around the 72 mark so just wondered what the actual street vendors was giving at the moment
#5
| Survivor

Originally posted by: tkwish View Post

i have an app on my phone that is giving exchange rates as 77.555 thought that sounded very high as on the street last year it was around the 72 mark so just wondered what the actual street vendors was giving at the moment


Thats not an app, its a Cr@pp .......... total rubbish. Whats it called so we can all avoid it?.

Comparisons to what you got last year? Why? Its a volatile exchange rate and can vary by up to rs 20 in a year

Incidentally, did you read my post? Just wondering :confused:

Oh, and if you are obsessed with what the street price is, its about rs1 - 1.5 below what it should be as there are very few foreigners around. Another few weeks and competition will force it up. But the short changing scam will just get bigger.....
#6
| Survivor
see you in the eighties. Rupee is weak and going dowwwnnn....Knock a half off and you'll get 77. xe.comcool:

:Beer:Beer:Beer
GoanGoan......here & there:unsure:..Goacool:
#7
| Survivor

Originally posted by: johnny five View Post

Have found this one to be very accurate when compared to bank statements from using a Nationwide debit card in cash points....

http://www.x-rates.com/d/INR/GBP/graph30.html

It reflected what we were actually getting on a daily basis rather than needing to adjust for "street prices", which, many years ago were very good but nowadays are not so. Also with "street exchanges you are vulnerable to being given a massive wodge of smaller denomination notes with a lot missing, on the basis that you will not stand and count them all. Even if you do, the proprietor will simply apologise profusely and hand over the difference. This popular scam has been going on for at least 20 years and quickly turns a good exchange rate into a terrible one.


Bullshit!

:Beer:Beer:Beer
GoanGoan......here & there:unsure:..Goacool:
#8
| Member
yes i read the replies and why the comparisons with last year well think about it that and and a few other factors and ill know what im likely to spend this year and so will be better prepared (its called research)
#9
| Survivor

Originally posted by: goangoangone View Post

Bullshit!

:Beer:Beer:Beer


Presumably you disagree?
#10
| Survivor
I've always used unofficial money changers, never had a problem, never had small denominations and always got a better rate than banks, travel agents etc. I don't mean "unofficial" by going to anyone who looks dodgy hanging around on a street corner. Certainly UK banks offer rubbish rates. If you need to transfer money, the Indian banks give a better rate than UK.

:Beer:Beer:Beer
GoanGoan......here & there:unsure:..Goacool:
#11
| Survivor

Beware

A tour guide in Prague told us of a customer of his who was well pleased with an exchange deal he'd done on the street. Trouble was, when he showed the guide his money,...it wasn't Czech currency.[shock]

:Beer:Beer:Beer
GoanGoan......here & there:unsure:..Goacool:
#12
| Survivor
So you quote your experiences, in south Goa I presume, and I quote mine (and many others) in Calangute and Mapusa, in the north...........so where is the need for the "bullshit" post?
#13
| Survivor

Originally posted by: johnny five View Post

So you quote your experiences, in south Goa I presume, and I quote mine (and many others) in Calangute and Mapusa, in the north...........so where is the need for the "bullshit" post?


They must be looking out for you. Only in the North?:rolleyes:

:Beer:Beer:Beer
GoanGoan......here & there:unsure:..Goacool:
#14
| retired
I popped into to Thomas Cook in London today to ask if I could exchange £££ in the UK and pick them up a month later in Trivandrum, I knew they'd say no, but thought I'd ask.

Anyway, I was shocked to find out that I can get Rupees through Thomas Cook in the UK, this wasn't the case in the past, but the woman has been doing good business lately with the £ flying high against the rupee,and this is why she says I can definately get rupees here.

However, Thomas Cook's exchange rate was only Rs75.62, and when I checked earlier, the rate being shown on websites was 77.00, I'd be happy to take that rate as it's a slight insurance policy against the rupee bouncing back a little, but Thomas Cook also have a £16 fee on £1000 exchanged, that works out at an extra loss of Rs1.21 per £, so an overall rate of 74.41 to the £, losing Rs2.6 for every £, what's that, almost 4%, not sure if I'll go for it at the moment.
#15
| Traveller (when I can)
I was in Goa about a month ago.

The rate was showing 75Rs and was getting a rate of about 74Rs. This in my experience is about normal.

The Rate on XE at present is about 77.50Rs and if I wanted to remit to my Indian account I would get a rate of 76.67Rs which is showing about 1Rs lower than the rate shown.

Use 1Rs lower as a guide. You won't be far out.....
Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death... (Hunter S. Thompson)