Tourist Visa to India - Tips and FAQs

Reply
#1 Mar 21st, 2013, 08:08
Join Date:
Jan 1999
Posts:
14
  • The India Mike Community is offline
#1

NOTE: This is a discussion thread for the article Tourist Visa to India - Tips and FAQs .
Click here to view the full article.


Tourist Visa to India - Tips and FAQs

Getting a visa to India should be a fairly straightforward process, although some India Mikers have found it difficult. This article aims to answer some of the frequently asked questions about obtaining an Indian tourist visa.  ... read more »

#2 Mar 25th, 2013, 07:27
Join Date:
Sep 2005
Location:
White Plains, New York
Posts:
4,215
  • nadreg is offline
#2
Hi guys,

This article was put together based on input from a few members and from reading through a number of threads on this site. I'd like to thank Nick-H, Johnny Five and nycank specifically for their input.

Hope this helps.
It's always darkest before it goes completely black.
#3 Mar 25th, 2013, 07:46
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Land that shakes and bakes.
Posts:
15,828
  • edwardseco is offline
#3
Its a good start..
#4 Mar 25th, 2013, 07:48
Join Date:
Sep 2005
Location:
White Plains, New York
Posts:
4,215
  • nadreg is offline
#4
Thanks. Have a read of this new post I added: http://www.indiamike.com/india/india...-mike-t192156/. It should give you more background as to the purpose of this article.
#5 Mar 25th, 2013, 11:12
Join Date:
Jun 2010
Location:
Hyderabad, india
Posts:
8,570
  • narendra.d is offline
#5
Quote:
For US citizens, India has a bilateral agreement with the US under which US citizens can obtain a multiple entry tourist visa to India that is valid for 5 or 10 years.
Is this not applicable only if applied for from the US? If yes, that point should be mentioned as well.
#6 Mar 25th, 2013, 12:06
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Land that shakes and bakes.
Posts:
15,828
  • edwardseco is offline
#6
A couple of suggestions, VOA & expanding it beyond the Anglo centric..
#7 Mar 25th, 2013, 12:12
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
20,566
  • nycank is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardseco View Post VOA & expanding it beyond the Anglo centric..
You going to write for south of the border, senor ?
#8 Mar 25th, 2013, 12:52
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,808
  • Nick-H is offline
#8
Thank you!

Due to having become a member of one of those magic categories that do not require a visa, my knowledge of India visas is outdated, sometimes to the extent of being completely wrong!

The 180-day stay, as far as I know, is the maximum that a tourist-visa holder can get. This is something that should be checked locally before planning any trip. Rebooking flights can be expensive and disappointing if 4 months is planned but only 90 days is possible when you get your visa.

A relatively new development is visa-on-arrival, available to a select few countries, but this also has a more limited stay.

I think a cautionary word or two encouraging people to take visa rules seriously would not be out of place. Most people do, but some seem to think that stuff like prosecution, and even imprisonment, of illegal immigrants is something that only applies to USA/Europe. It isn't: midnight on your visa-expiry date is the time by which you must be out of India. Really like it here? The tourist department will be pleased, but the immigration department won't care. Fallen desperately in love? Congratulations: go home and get a new visa, marry your beloved when you get back, and read all our threads on the subject before posting your questions as to how to go about this .

The system does allow for emergencies, mostly of the medical kind. Any other kind of extension is on the are-you-feeling-lucky basis, and if all you want is a few days, you'll probably spend them facing officials rather than enjoying them. Probably not worth it.
#9 Mar 25th, 2013, 19:56
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Land that shakes and bakes.
Posts:
15,828
  • edwardseco is offline
#9
Great point and we should mention the recent expansion of the expansion of authority to expand extensions of overstay subject to the will (whim) of the officer..
#10 Mar 25th, 2013, 23:47
Join Date:
Sep 2005
Location:
White Plains, New York
Posts:
4,215
  • nadreg is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post Thank you!

Due to having become a member of one of those magic categories that do not require a visa, my knowledge of India visas is outdated, sometimes to the extent of being completely wrong!

The 180-day stay, as far as I know, is the maximum that a tourist-visa holder can get. This is something that should be checked locally before planning any trip. Rebooking flights can be expensive and disappointing if 4 months is planned but only 90 days is possible when you get your visa.

A relatively new development is visa-on-arrival, available to a select few countries, but this also has a more limited stay.

I think a cautionary word or two encouraging people to take visa rules seriously would not be out of place. Most people do, but some seem to think that stuff like prosecution, and even imprisonment, of illegal immigrants is something that only applies to USA/Europe. It isn't: midnight on your visa-expiry date is the time by which you must be out of India. Really like it here? The tourist department will be pleased, but the immigration department won't care. Fallen desperately in love? Congratulations: go home and get a new visa, marry your beloved when you get back, and read all our threads on the subject before posting your questions as to how to go about this .

The system does allow for emergencies, mostly of the medical kind. Any other kind of extension is on the are-you-feeling-lucky basis, and if all you want is a few days, you'll probably spend them facing officials rather than enjoying them. Probably not worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardseco View Post Great point and we should mention the recent expansion of the expansion of authority to expand extensions of overstay subject to the will (whim) of the officer..
Nick-H, edwardseco:

Great points, both. Can one (or both) of you try and make the changes to the FAQ yourself? I want to test out the wiki-like features to see if you can make changes, and also to get your feedback on how easy it is to make these changes.

Let me know if you need help in testing this out.

Much appreciated!
#11 Mar 26th, 2013, 00:27
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,808
  • Nick-H is offline
#11
I just made a very quick change, without too much thought and the wording needs polishing --- but the edit process was easy enough. Great new functionality!
#12 Mar 26th, 2013, 01:34
Join Date:
Sep 2005
Location:
White Plains, New York
Posts:
4,215
  • nadreg is offline
#12
Great ... ! Glad you found it easy.

Should we consolidate some of the other visa threads into a common thread and have that as the discussion thread for this article? Or should we leave those as is, and just start with this new thread for the discussion?
#13 Mar 26th, 2013, 04:11
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,808
  • Nick-H is offline
#13
Off the top of my head, and it's bedtime... Consolidation of up to date information is good, but it has to be general, because if you get into the vaguaries, exceptions and possibilities of unique countries (unless, perhaps, like USA, they are large, populous, and many members and potential members belong to them?) the whole thing would get unwieldy.

Maybe... cover the majority case. Maybe point to others.
#14 Mar 26th, 2013, 11:36
Join Date:
Sep 2001
Location:
Land that shakes and bakes.
Posts:
15,828
  • edwardseco is offline
#14
Glad to work on this although the masters have been before me, Haylo & others. Off to the humongous & terrifying main visa thread, I got verbose one night and identified four major types of tourist visas..

Under: Typically, bullet 2, Canada and Australia have five year term with 180 day stay tourist visas.

I had better check the latter for fear of having a senior moment. Canada just obtained this exalted status..
Last edited by edwardseco; Mar 26th, 2013 at 20:49..
#15 Mar 26th, 2013, 15:52
Join Date:
Sep 2011
Location:
Off-line. Gone.
Posts:
3,275
  • DrRudi is offline
#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardseco View Post Under: Typically, bullet 2, Canada and Australia have five year term with 180 day stay tourist visas.
@edwardseco - Australia has a five year term for what?
Reply


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success