Moving to India

#1 Feb 5th, 2014, 23:54
Join Date:
Jul 2012
  • Beach Bucket is offline
Hi All,

I hope to move to India but have many questions I need answers to please.

With a normal Visitor's Visa I understand that I have to leave the country after 180 days. After this time what are the rules regarding re-entry to India and is it possible to organise this without returning to the UK?

I understand that the rules are now relaxed regarding leaving India for 2 months so can I for instance, travel to Nepal for the time necessary to renew the visa, then re-enter India.

Would I be able to register myself soon after arrival in India as a resident, if so what rules would apply regarding length of stay etc?


#2 Feb 6th, 2014, 00:01
Join Date:
Aug 2003
In the Middle of Nowhere, The Center of Everything
Send a message via Yahoo to Darmabum
  • Darmabum is offline
I think you'll find "moving to India" much easier to type than actually do. Someone will be along shortly . . .
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate; our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure - Marianne Williamson
#3 Feb 6th, 2014, 00:09
Join Date:
Jan 2006
  • JuliaF is offline
Mod note: thread moved to visa forum.

I will just quote what narendra said in another thread, which sums it up well.

Originally Posted by narendra.d View Post One cant MOVE to India just as easily as one could within the EU. There are few ways and they are not easy:
1. Indian ancestry in the form of PIO or OCI.
2. Marriage to an Indian
3. A job with a local company that pays a minimum of 25000 USD per year. The pay minimum applies to most jobs except a select few like ethnic cooks or translators.
#4 Feb 6th, 2014, 00:11
Join Date:
Jan 2010
London (UK) (Current) & Pali Hill, Bombay (IN)
  • ViShVa is offline

Judging by your earlier posts over a year ago, you are not of Indian origin, hence cannot apply for a long-term entry visa.

What class of visa would you apply for. A "Visitor's Visa" is a tourist visa, and it cannot be converted to any other form except from your home country by reapplying. You will not be eligible for 'residence' unless you married someone who is Indian.

You can certainly stay for up to 180 days on your tourist visa should you be granted it, and can hop over to Nepal and get another visa, but what do you propose in terms of funding. I ask since you would most likely be ineligible for an employment visa unless you are posted by a company there.

ETA - In your first post you say
I (male), aged ...
Are you a chap called 'Sandra'?
#5 Feb 6th, 2014, 00:28
Join Date:
Jul 2012
  • Beach Bucket is offline
Actually asking on behalf of a friend, Sandra, using my details. apologies for the confusion.
#6 Jul 7th, 2014, 10:00
Join Date:
Jul 2013
Chiang Mai, Thailand
  • khawk is offline
I been down this road trying to relocate for a while..
The best advice is to tell Sandra to find a nice your Indian man, get married, and get a marriage visa.
This is the only realistic option, unless she plan on doing visa runs every 6 months..

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Moving to India from US Nov 9th, 2013 10:23 5 1193 Introduce Yourself
Moving to India Nov 20th, 2012 23:29 11 8420 Moving to Bangalore
Moving to India Jan 23rd, 2009 17:12 0 1228 Moving to Delhi
Moving to India Jan 7th, 2007 01:35 5 2120 India Expat Area
moving around india Nov 17th, 2005 19:07 7 2806 Indian Railways

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© 2018
Page Load Success