Exit permit fee by 1 day

#1 Jun 1st, 2018, 19:02
Join Date:
Jun 2018
Location:
Lisbon
Posts:
2
  • Ped is offline
#1
I'm curently in India for visit and I have noticed that it was granted to me a visa with exit date one day prior to my return ticket day(!).

In my hotel day have advise me to contact the FRRO in order to solve this issue. However, I have contacted the FRRO and no help was provided to me.

I would like to know how much is the Exit permit fee by 1 day and how should i procceed. Could someone provide me the official document where is stated the fee value? I have been noticing in other forums that values "varies" according to the authorities will...reason why i would like to know it in advance.

Thanks in advance.
#2 Jun 1st, 2018, 20:27
Join Date:
Dec 2006
Location:
SLC
Posts:
2,107
  • kmalik is offline
#2
First thing - check what time your outbound flight is. Often outbound flights from India leave in the very early morning hours. In such a case, you can get to the airport early and go through the passport control at, say 23:30 hours on the previous day and not be in violation... That'd be ideal.

I don't know how the FRRO process works, but suspect it is to deal with cases of violation. You, on the other hand, are thinking of violating the permitted duration. You might get a 1-day visa extension but I am not sure. More likely, they are likely to tell you that you need to change your flight to comply with the visa validity window - and they would be right. In your shoes - that's what I'd do, unless the possibility I suggested earlier works for you.

Good luck!
#3 Jun 1st, 2018, 20:56
Join Date:
Oct 2009
Location:
NOTTINGHAM
Posts:
1,609
  • OldandRambling is offline
#3
I don't know but my understanding is that there is not a fixed "fee" payable in advance. I think the variation in charges could be "fines" for overstay? As kmalik says, these charges are variable due to individual circumstances.

Ed.
#4 Jun 1st, 2018, 21:17
Join Date:
Jun 2018
Location:
Lisbon
Posts:
2
  • Ped is offline
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmalik View Post First thing - check what time your outbound flight is. Often outbound flights from India leave in the very early morning hours. In such a case, you can get to the airport early and go through the passport control at, say 23:30 hours on the previous day and not be in violation... That'd be ideal.

I don't know how the FRRO process works, but suspect it is to deal with cases of violation. You, on the other hand, are thinking of violating the permitted duration. You might get a 1-day visa extension but I am not sure. More likely, they are likely to tell you that you need to change your flight to comply with the visa validity window - and they would be right. In your shoes - that's what I'd do, unless the possibility I suggested earlier works for you.

Good luck!
kmalik, thank you for the provided informations.

Well, unfortunatly my return flight is at 21:50h so no chances of crossing security in the previous day. Furthermore, "violating" the visa date will be necessary since it wouldn't be a sigle flight re-schedule but 4! So, no chances to do so. Besides, i'm not alone...

I was puzzled since it was provided to the embassy the return ticket for taking the visa...

Anyway, i was expecting that there was an official document which would state the "fee for one day overdue" - X ; "fee for two days overdue" - Z....

Maybe i'm being naive on expecting that but...

if you know any more info i would be gratefull
#5 Jun 1st, 2018, 22:35
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,798
  • Nick-H is online now
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post I would like to know how much is the Exit permit fee by 1 day and how should i procceed. Could someone provide me the official document where is stated the fee value? ... ... ...
There won't be one, because there is no such thing. A visa is not something you can say, extra day, or three, please: how much will that be? It expires when it expires. Over. Finished. You should have arranged to leave the country on or before that date.

If you look at your visa, in your passport, I think it even says, "Tourist visa cannot be renewed or extended," or similar words.

The bottom line is hard line: it is your job to have a flight out, on or before that date, and cannot "buy" extra days like nights in a hotel. Having said that, I think that FRRO have the power to give you that permission, but it is their option to do so. Thing to do is to grovel somewhat, be very apologetic, sorry, you mistook the date, and all that and you might get it. If you do not, then you have to change that flight, or book another one, whatever that costs you.

Would very much advise against just going to the airport on that next day. It is possible that they would detain you and you would not be permitted to catch your plane. And that is going to cost you another whole flight.

Note Kmalik's advice (you probably already have!) that if your flight is in the early hours of the morning, and if you can check in and get through immigration control before midnight on the date of expiry, you have made it, you are in the clear and on your way. You have to hope that the checkin for your flight opens early enough. Should be three hours before? Not sure: I don't fly much these days. Or years, even.

Good luck, either with FRRO's optional powers, or with getting through the airport in time. Hope all works out, with least cost and least hassle

(Welcome to Indiamike! Let us know what happens!)
~
Life gets aadhar every day.
.
#6 Jun 1st, 2018, 23:02
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
cloud
Posts:
1,481
  • RPG is offline
#6
What a strange question. "I'm going to break the law. But I'll take care of it with money, just tell me how much."

As already advised, change your flight. Yes, it will cost money, perhaps a lot of money, but it is the correct way to avoid violating your visa terms.

As also noted above, there is no reason the FRRO should do anything for you in advance since your visa cannot be extended. After you are in violation, you can go to them, but it will be a much worse situation and you will still have to pay to change your flight.
#7 Jun 1st, 2018, 23:10
Join Date:
Apr 2014
Location:
Anywhere
Posts:
108
  • zif is offline
#7
Look at Post No. 26 in this thread. It tells how someone with the same problem resolved it last year after spending seven hours and 3600 + 300 Rps at Bombay FRRO.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic...ort-India.html
#8 Jun 1st, 2018, 23:26
Join Date:
Oct 2009
Location:
NOTTINGHAM
Posts:
1,609
  • OldandRambling is offline
#8
While Indiamike is a "broad church", it seems sad that some long standing members seem to delight in sternly lecturing those who come here seeking help and advice.
If I wanted to trash Indiamike's welcoming reputation, that is the sort of thing I would do.

A person can be given wrong information, it does not translate into "I am going to break the law..."

Sorry for the short lecture, but it is getting rather unpleasant, day after day...

Ed.
#9 Jun 2nd, 2018, 02:15
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,798
  • Nick-H is online now
#9
It translates,quite often, into lack of realising that these things are really serious. I don't know what to do other than to state the facts and point out that they are. Perhaps when someone gets that, they will accept some of the sterner posts.

Then there are those like the ngo guy in the other thread, who go away because they don't get an answer they want to hear. there is certainly a difference between getting one date wrong, if it was a simple mistake, and fooling around with the system for years and then grumbling because they get found out. I think we are often more sympathetic than we could be!
#10 Jun 2nd, 2018, 04:53
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
cloud
Posts:
1,481
  • RPG is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post It translates,quite often, into lack of realising that these things are really serious. I don't know what to do other than to state the facts and point out that they are. Perhaps when someone gets that, they will accept some of the sterner posts.
OldandRambling was talking about my post, not yours.

As noted on other threads, the same things that would land one in immense legal jeopardy if one were from India and doing it in a western country, are not considered serious by some western travelers to India because it is only India after all. But overstaying a nonrenewable visa is definitely a crime.
#11 Jun 2nd, 2018, 05:22
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
70,798
  • Nick-H is online now
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG View Post OldandRambling was talking about my post, not yours.
I know... but I felt you just sparked off a general criticism of our approach to these questions. So I chimed in.
Quote:
As noted on other threads, the same things that would land one in immense legal jeopardy if one were from India and doing it in a western country, are not considered serious by some western travelers to India because it is only India after all. But overstaying a nonrenewable visa is definitely a crime.
With you 100%.
And I still feel that Indiamike is one of the more friendly places on the net. We may bring people down a bit on this stuff, but that is where they need to be: down to earth and reality. I don't think we send them away feeling worse. And if they don't come back, it is because they are one question posters. Which is fine... except it is a pity if they don't tell us what happened.

(Also respect to OldandRambling, who is a really nice and kind guy.)
#12 Jun 2nd, 2018, 06:24
Join Date:
Dec 2006
Location:
SLC
Posts:
2,107
  • kmalik is offline
#12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post kmalik, thank you for the provided informations.

Well, unfortunatly my return flight is at 21:50h so no chances of crossing security in the previous day. Furthermore, "violating" the visa date will be necessary since it wouldn't be a sigle flight re-schedule but 4! So, no chances to do so. Besides, i'm not alone...

I was puzzled since it was provided to the embassy the return ticket for taking the visa...

Anyway, i was expecting that there was an official document which would state the "fee for one day overdue" - X ; "fee for two days overdue" - Z....

Maybe i'm being naive on expecting that but...

if you know any more info i would be gratefull
Back to the original topic ...

Ped - Given what you shared - you need to go to FRRO and grovel - do whatever you need to do to get a resolution. And, if no resolution is available - change your flights, whatever that takes. If you decide not to follow, be aware that you might not be boarding your flight as things stand - and incur greater problems and costs.

Do not expect FRRO to 'help' you when you are planning to violate your visa validity. You can show some regret at your own fault of not reading the visa validity properly and making poor travel bookings. So, start by accepting your responsibility for the situation you are in. Given the costs involved, they might take pity on you and offer a way out. But, that's at their discretion. If they provide you a way out - thank them. If not, accept the fact that you are the sole party at fault here.

I wish you good luck, and advise you to take this problem seriously.
#13 Jun 2nd, 2018, 08:20
Join Date:
Jan 2010
Location:
London (UK) (Current) & Pali Hill, Bombay (IN)
Posts:
8,904
  • ViShVa is offline
#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post I'm curently in India for visit and I have noticed that it was granted to me a visa with exit date one day prior to my return ticket day(!).

In my hotel day have advise me to contact the FRRO in order to solve this issue. However, I have contacted the FRRO and no help was provided to me.

I would like to know how much is the Exit permit fee by 1 day and how should i procceed. Could someone provide me the official document where is stated the fee value? I have been noticing in other forums that values "varies" according to the authorities will...reason why i would like to know it in advance.

Thanks in advance.
Hello, Ped, and welcome to IndiaMike

You are a funny bunny. You say that you are "curently in India" (sic) with your family, and so why did you not check the validity dates when you received the visa and made sure that they coincided with your travel dates, especially when three fellow travellers' itineraries were your responsibility? Perhaps you are a clueless traveller, like many of us can be, from time to time.

Your hotel's is the soundest advice to date.They asked you to contact your nearest and dearest FRRO (Foreigners Regional Registration Office) "in order to solve the issue". You claim that you did do so when you say that, "I have contacted the FRRO and no help was provided to me."

I find that statement hard to trust, believe or find credible. HOW did you contact your local friendly FRRO? Did you apply via the official site >> e-FRRo Official portal or did you go personally to an office in distress (which you are allowed to do)? Did you send a country cousin from Madeira or did you send an agent or a Bhandup taxi-driver to seek help and explain your particular circumstances? Or did you email them or write to them or did you send your Country's best footballer, Ronaldo, to represent you?

HOW did you contact them and HOW did they fail to provide any help to you? Did the FRRO officers have many teas and then ignored you? Did they tell you they will not help and that you would be stuck in India for life? How was your conclusion of "... no help was provided to me" arrived at?

As far as your question is concerned, in the old days (180 days ago), an 'Exit Permit' used to be a one-off charge of US$30, not per day, but per violation/application. I remember vividly that that was the figure quoted on official sites, but I cannot find one quoting the same for the life of me today.

Despite my dogged search, I could not find reference to any official site citing the US$30 fee, which was easily found last year. Do bear in mind that I have been on sabbatical from this site for the past 6 months or so, so my search skills are a little raw now. But I have given it a full whack and come up with nil trumps (no pun intended).

See:

https://indianfrro.gov.in/eservices/...support_center


Besides the above, read these old reports. Take them with a pinch of salt as much has changed since then, particularly the fact that, not only have these matters been delegated by the MHA (Ministry of Home affairs) to the FRROs to handle, the big change is that the FRRO business has been taken primarily online since February 2018 and that should be your first point of contact.


Forgot to register for FRRO


FRRO cancelled my tourist visa for overstay 180 days

The easiest thing for you to do is to change flights. To save mullah, apply online at the e-FRRO site for an Exit Permit for all four of you at US$30 a pop at last year's rates, if the rates are still the same.

Good luck, and do tell us how it goes.
#14 Jun 2nd, 2018, 08:36
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
Vermont
Posts:
14,529
  • hfot2 is offline
#14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViShVa View Post ...To save mullah...
Um...surely moolah.
Walt Whitman - Song of Myself

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
#15 Jun 2nd, 2018, 08:45
Join Date:
Jan 2010
Location:
London (UK) (Current) & Pali Hill, Bombay (IN)
Posts:
8,904
  • ViShVa is offline
#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfot2 View Post Um...surely moolah.
Oh dear! To think I prided myself on my spelling in yore days! Sincerest apologies.
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Info about exit permit.... Mar 25th, 2014 08:53 6 3242 For Citizens of Other Countries - Visa and PIO/OCI Questions
Regarding OCI and Exit permit - Query Jul 27th, 2013 23:05 73 8746 For Citizens of Other Countries - Visa and PIO/OCI Questions


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success