Tourist SIM Card on Arrival

#31 Mar 13th, 2018, 23:01
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
19,909
  • nycank is offline
#31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan84 View Post
I must have caused quite a number of LOLs over there, as I recently saw an ad advertising their new unlimited whatsapp on roaming and while data won't be free it is around $10/100mb with Airtel.
There are two providers in SIN, rest are MVNO. So be careful in who you buy what ! I have used both Singtel and StarHub in the past; They are now not so attractive to tourists.


As a non-resident visitor; now the hotels I stay in, provide me with Handy® which is next to sliced-bread
#32 Mar 13th, 2018, 23:08
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
19,909
  • nycank is offline
#32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieUK View Post
Not travelling until September so will of course re-check just before my departure.
September !!! September That's loooong time in Telco world in India - Who knows Airtel could get aircelled by then

Call (Don't email) the Airport Manager on duty (it's 24 hour operation) and ask for on-the-ground status.
#33 Mar 14th, 2018, 08:37
Join Date:
Jan 2018
Location:
Singapore
Posts:
60
  • kannan84 is offline
#33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycank View Post There are two providers in SIN, rest are MVNO. So be careful in who you buy what ! I have used both Singtel and StarHub in the past; They are now not so attractive to tourists.

As a non-resident visitor; now the hotels I stay in, provide me with Handy® which is next to sliced-bread
Not sure what happened but the stars and planets must have aligned, a random Indian lady of another dept at my workplace came by my office to pass me an Aircel prepaid SIM card for me to use in Delhi.

That and being invited to traditional dance classes and fitting in perfectly wth all the people dressed in salwar kameez makes me soooo in the mood for my upcoming trip.

I'm sure I'll be heading to my favorite Durga temple soon to give thanks



Disclaimer: Indian ladies don't normally magically appear out of thin air to give you prepaid SIM cards.

#34 Mar 14th, 2018, 11:57
Join Date:
Nov 2006
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
259
  • Ravichandar is offline
#34
Quote:
Not sure what happened but the stars and planets must have aligned, a random Indian lady of another dept at my workplace came by my office to pass me an Aircel prepaid SIM card for me to use in Delhi.

That and being invited to traditional dance classes and fitting in perfectly wth all the people dressed in salwar kameez makes me soooo in the mood for my upcoming trip.

I'm sure I'll be heading to my favorite Durga temple soon to give thanks

Disclaimer: Indian ladies don't normally magically appear out of thin air to give you prepaid SIM cards.
Aircel? They are in trouble and have been winding up operations all over India.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/63110441.cms
Last edited by Ravichandar; Mar 14th, 2018 at 16:42..
#35 Mar 14th, 2018, 16:40
Join Date:
Nov 2005
Location:
Bedworth England
Posts:
369
  • HowieUK is offline
#35
Thanks for the advice all. x

I know I was asking a long time in advance of my arrival but once I started to ask I couldn't just leave it.
A bit like a dog with a bone!

I did work for a time as a researcher and it seems to have left me with OCD in that respect.

Thanks again
#36 Mar 15th, 2018, 03:27
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
69,892
  • Nick-H is offline
#36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan84 View Post ... a random Indian lady of another dept at my workplace came by my office to pass me an Aircel prepaid SIM card for me to use in Delhi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravichandar View Post Aircel? They are in trouble and have been winding up operations all over India.
Indeed. I'm afraid that an aircel sim is probably worth little right now. With no towers working in my area for days, I was lucky to get a signal and initiate the transfer away from them, thus keeping the number that I have had for thirteen years. I gather that their demise in Northern India began some time back.

Sorry we have to deliver the bad news. Hope for Random (otherwise known as luck) to bring you better ladies with better sims!
~
Life gets aadhar every day.
.
#37 Mar 15th, 2018, 04:09
Join Date:
Aug 2004
Location:
cloud
Posts:
1,399
  • RPG is offline
#37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan84 View Post a random Indian lady of another dept at my workplace came by my office to pass me an Aircel prepaid SIM card for me to use in Delhi.
Apparently she figured she would not be using it again.
#38 Mar 15th, 2018, 04:15
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
69,892
  • Nick-H is offline
#38
kannan84, I had forgotten you are Singapore.

Is there a problem with getting anything Indian there? OK, you might not be able to pick up an Airtel sim at Mustafa (although it wouldn't surprise me) but given the extent of the interaction between the countries, the coming and going, surely you know someone who can ask someone to bring for you...
#39 Mar 15th, 2018, 09:16
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
19,909
  • nycank is offline
#39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post OK, you might not be able to pick up an Airtel sim at Mustafa (although it wouldn't surprise me)
Who owns a big piece of Bharati-Airtel may I ask ?
#40 Mar 15th, 2018, 10:23
Join Date:
Mar 2012
Location:
Sydney, Australia
Posts:
10,221
  • Govindpuri is offline
#40
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycank View Post This must be something in the last few weeks. As of Feb 12th, when I was at the arrivals, it was buzzing with activity.
on 21st March on arrival at Delhi airport there were two Airtel conters. One is located in the beggage hall on the extreme left same side as the exit. The oher one is after you exit.

Both are supposed to be staffed 24 hours but sometimes you need to ask around to find the person working there.
#41 Mar 15th, 2018, 11:40
Join Date:
Jan 2018
Location:
Singapore
Posts:
60
  • kannan84 is offline
#41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG View Post Apparently she figured she would not be using it again.
Actually she was not knowing about it, having asked me to "bring it back after Delhi".

Oh my goodness it is true there are no any coverage in Delhi area for Aircel.
https://www.nperf.com/en/map/IN/1273...377138&zoom=12

Back to thinking about expensive roaming calls or get another Indian lady
#42 Mar 15th, 2018, 16:18
Join Date:
Jan 2016
Location:
Faridabad {fraudabad}
Posts:
608
  • RahulDeva is offline
#42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan84 View Post Actually she was not knowing about it, having asked me to "bring it back after Delhi".

Oh my goodness it is true there are no any coverage in Delhi area for Aircel.
https://www.nperf.com/en/map/IN/1273...377138&zoom=12

Back to thinking about expensive roaming calls or get another Indian lady
"With a sim"
#43 Mar 15th, 2018, 16:38
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
69,892
  • Nick-H is offline
#43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govindpuri View Post on 21st March on arrival at Delhi airport there were two Airtel conters. One is located in the beggage hall ...
So the India experience starts right there at the airport, eh?



(One for the Great Typos of Our Times collection )
#44 Mar 15th, 2018, 21:24
Join Date:
Aug 2006
Location:
Homeless
Posts:
19,909
  • nycank is offline
#44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govindpuri View Post on 21st March on arrival at Delhi airport there were two Airtel conters.
Marty !!! Back to the future !!
#45 Mar 15th, 2018, 23:17
Join Date:
Oct 2004
Location:
Chennai, India
Posts:
69,892
  • Nick-H is offline
#45
Bad-keyboard day?

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Ahmedabad: Buying Prepaid SIM Card for Foreign Tourist – Where? Nov 14th, 2014 19:39 4 4321 Electronics in India
Getting a SIM card Aug 12th, 2013 01:42 21 11819 Moving to Delhi
SIM Card in Pakistan? Mar 21st, 2006 20:11 4 2274 Crossing the Border
Sim Card for £1.50 Feb 1st, 2006 05:51 2 1682 Electronics in India
Buying sim card and/or phone on arrival Cochin Jan 20th, 2006 06:08 4 6927 Electronics in India


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success