Who's reading what, when & the experience

#1876 Jun 16th, 2009, 17:55
Join Date:
Nov 2006
Location:
New Delhi & Himachal Pradesh (Shimla)
Posts:
5,765
  • puchoo is offline
#1876
Finally managed to get a copy of Shimla Past and Present by Edward Buck which i started last night.
#1877 Jun 18th, 2009, 21:26
Join Date:
Apr 2004
Location:
Bangalore
Posts:
1,509
  • lonelyaztec is offline
#1877
Angels and Demons - and i find it very boring.
#1878 Jun 18th, 2009, 22:09
Join Date:
Jan 2008
Location:
india
Posts:
7,790
  • brishti is offline
#1878
beasts in my belfry - g. durrell



:brishti
#1879 Jun 18th, 2009, 22:31
Join Date:
Jan 2004
Location:
The OC
Posts:
988
  • skell is offline
#1879

Thumbs up

Fidali's Way - a great new 'first' novel by George Mastras. It's set in the Kashmir and surrounding areas in recent and current times.
#1880 Jun 19th, 2009, 00:35
Join Date:
Feb 2009
Location:
U.S.
Posts:
2,484
  • namaste_cat is offline
#1880
Quote:
Originally Posted by skell View Post Fidali's Way - a great new 'first' novel by George Mastras. It's set in the Kashmir and surrounding areas in recent and current times.

I just bought this to read on the plane ride to India. I'm a Kashmiri, so was interested anyway, and when I saw the author is a writer on Breaking Bad (one of my fav TV shows), I just had to get it. Only read a few pages so far, but I think I can tell I'll like it. According to the reviews on amazon, novel sort of loses its way about 1/3 to 1/2 way through the book, so I'll hang tight.
#1881 Jun 19th, 2009, 07:38
Join Date:
Jan 2004
Location:
The OC
Posts:
988
  • skell is offline
#1881
I'd like to hear what you think when you've finished. I'm about 3/4 finished now and still thoroughly enjoying it, but you'd have much more knowledge about how it holds up historically. The writing quality is first rate though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste_cat View Post I just bought this to read on the plane ride to India. I'm a Kashmiri, so was interested anyway, and when I saw the author is a writer on Breaking Bad (one of my fav TV shows), I just had to get it. Only read a few pages so far, but I think I can tell I'll like it. According to the reviews on amazon, novel sort of loses its way about 1/3 to 1/2 way through the book, so I'll hang tight.
#1882 Jun 19th, 2009, 07:41
Join Date:
Sep 2005
Location:
styx
Posts:
21,296
  • capt_mahajan is offline
#1882
Marquez: Of love and other demons.

Good, but not as good as 'No one writes to the Colonel' or 'Leaf Storm'. Perhaps I am not in a Marquez state of mind.
.
This is computer generated drivel. No signature is required.
#1883 Jun 19th, 2009, 08:16
Join Date:
Jun 2008
Location:
Toronto
Posts:
3,003
  • Hal is offline
#1883
Quote:
Originally Posted by brishti View Post beasts in my belfry - g. durrell

:brishti
I love those books. When I was a kid, I wanted to be just like Gerald Durrell and travel the world looking for weird creatures.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through The White Tiger, and am also reading Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body
#1884 Jun 19th, 2009, 11:52
Join Date:
May 2008
Location:
New Delhi
Posts:
280
  • lovish is offline
#1884

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post I love those books. When I was a kid, I wanted to be just like Gerald Durrell and travel the world looking for weird creatures.

I too have this dream... i sometimes dream that i will travel whole world in 20 years and knowing every little detail of this vast world... but somehow i don't thinks its possible for me yet... maybe one day when i will have a million Dollars i will do this.... i am more amused by the magical things then just creatures...
True Indian BLood will Never think twise before giving his Life to save his Motherland INDIA- Lovish
#1885 Jun 22nd, 2009, 13:36
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Location:
India
Posts:
92
  • piccolina is offline
#1885

Daniyal Mueenuddin: In Other Rooms, Other Wonders

Beautiful style of writing - you can read a couple of his stories online at the New Yorker site to get an idea of how he writes. You can read the stories here, here and here.
(I read these stories and then went out and bought the book.)

I've added Fidali's Way to my reading list - sounds like a good book.
#1886 Jun 24th, 2009, 10:17
Join Date:
Apr 2008
Location:
Canada
Posts:
315
  • gvdv is offline
#1886

The Age of Kali

Although I'm not actually reading it at the moment, a couple of times a year I re-read a few chapters from William Dalrymple's 'The Age of Kali'.

The book is a collection of essays on issues both serious (e.g., the practice of sati, and an interview with the late Benazir Bhutto), and some might say spurious (Indian pop stars) pertaining to India and Pakistan.

In a way, the book is quite extraordinary in the breadth of its subject matter, and even if Dalrymple's 'voice' comes across too strongly at times (for my liking, anyway), it is an intelligent voice, posing serious questions, and making some shrewd and sometimes compassionate, wry and humourous observations.
#1887 Jun 24th, 2009, 16:28
Join Date:
Mar 2007
Location:
Jaisalmer
Posts:
9,275
  • Aishah is offline
#1887
"The Age of Kali" has been a book I've dipped into a few times too - and really enjoyed it.

Have just finished another book recommended earlier on this thread - Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. Superb writing, disturbing subject matter which unfolds slowly throughout the novel, and wonderfully compassionate. I read it over the last couple of days - simply couldn't put it down.

Now I'm looking forward to my next read which promises to be another 'good one'! C.J. Sansom's Sovereign.

I've been so lucky up here in Landour this year, one of my good friends passed onto me 21 books, and all the ones I have been mentioning have come from her. She has good taste in reading, so great for me to have the benefit of it! It's heavy carting around a lot of books to keep you going for three months, and I would have had to resort to the bookshop or second hand exchange which I normally do, so this has been a real bonus for me.
Every cloud has a silver lining!
#1888 Jun 24th, 2009, 18:27
Join Date:
Apr 2005
Location:
perth
Posts:
1,712
  • iwanttogoback is offline
#1888
Quote:
Have just finished another book recommended earlier on this thread - Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go
would recommend anything by kazuo ishiguro.
#1889 Jun 24th, 2009, 22:23
Join Date:
Mar 2007
Location:
Jaisalmer
Posts:
9,275
  • Aishah is offline
#1889
And looking at the list of his books inside the back cover there are two I haven't yet read - A Pale View of Hills, and An Artist of the Floating World. Treats in store for me, when I manage to get hold of them! I agree, iwanttogoback, all the rest I've read have been superb.
#1890 Jun 25th, 2009, 10:01
Join Date:
Apr 2008
Location:
Canada
Posts:
315
  • gvdv is offline
#1890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aishah View Post "The Age of Kali" has been a book I've dipped into a few times too - and really enjoyed it.

Have just finished another book recommended earlier on this thread - Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. Superb writing, disturbing subject matter which unfolds slowly throughout the novel, and wonderfully compassionate. I read it over the last couple of days - simply couldn't put it down.

Now I'm looking forward to my next read which promises to be another 'good one'! C.J. Sansom's Sovereign.

I've been so lucky up here in Landour this year, one of my good friends passed onto me 21 books, and all the ones I have been mentioning have come from her. She has good taste in reading, so great for me to have the benefit of it! It's heavy carting around a lot of books to keep you going for three months, and I would have had to resort to the bookshop or second hand exchange which I normally do, so this has been a real bonus for me.
Aishah,
Have you thought about audiobooks? Years ago I rented a couple from the library (they were on cassette then), and I quite enjoyed the experience of listening to them (although I found that, just as with a book, I couldn't do anything else while I was listening to them).

Downloading mp3's of audiobooks to your computer might be better than carting a load of books around, and you might even be able to find people with whom you could swap audiobooks.
Reply


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2018
Page Load Success