Will prepaid sim of Kolkata work in Assam/N.E states?
abhinandab
India > States in India > India Travel > Assam
#1
| Maha Guru Member

Will prepaid sim of Kolkata work in Assam/N.E states?

Hello.

Please let me know if prepaid vodafone and airtel sim cards of Kolkata will be usable in Assam and/or other north east states.The last time I was there in 2008, it was not usable but I have come across this http://telecomtalk.info/dot-allows-pan-india-prepaid-roaming-facility-for-assam-and-north-east/67168/ and was wondering if the ban has been lifted.


Kindly advise, it is quite an emergency.

Thanks

14 Replies

#2
| Maha Guru Member

Originally posted by: abhinandab View Post

Hello.

Please let me know if prepaid vodafone and airtel sim cards of Kolkata will be usable in Assam and/or other north east states.The last time I was there in 2008, it was not usable but I have come across this http://telecomtalk.info/dot-allows-pan-india-prepaid-roaming-facility-for-assam-and-north-east/67168/ and was wondering if the ban has been lifted.


Kindly advise, it is quite an emergency.

Thanks


Works fine in Assam and Meghalaya. Dont know about other states.
#3
| Maha Guru Member

Originally posted by: rshalder View Post

Works fine in Assam and Meghalaya. Dont know about other states.


Thanks a lot.It will do if it works in guwahati at least. a local sim can be arranged there in a week thereafter
#4
| Maha Guru Member

Originally posted by: abhinandab View Post

Thanks a lot.It will do if it works in guwahati at least. a local sim can be arranged there in a week thereafter


You are welcome. Please update this post once you know about other NE states. I have to know if it works in Tripura.
#5
| Maha Guru Member
There is no plan to go to tripura imnediately.but i think one can ask around in guwahati
#6
| Maha Guru Member
Hello RS.I enquired around in Guwahati and everyone said that prepaid sims from Kolkata work fine in Tripura
#7
| Maha Guru Member

Originally posted by: abhinandab View Post

Hello RS.I enquired around in Guwahati and everyone said that prepaid sims from Kolkata work fine in Tripura


Thank you very much :) Also share your guwahati trip report anytime :)
#8
| Maha Guru Member

Re: Will prepaid sim of Kolkata work in Assam/N.E states?

Not a trip worth reporting.Just a day visit to Kamakhya temple.no other sightseeing.:o
#9
| Maha Guru Member

Originally posted by: abhinandab View Post

Not a trip worth reporting.Just a day visit to Kamakhya temple.no other sightseeing.:o


Oh I see. How was the crowd there? We visited Kamakhya on durga pujo previous year, and it was impossible for us to give puja there.
#10
| Maha Guru Member
Huge crowd.we reached at about 9 am.there was a crowd of about 900 plus.we took the paid darshan (rs.101/- per person)and thus shortened the wait a bit
#11
| It's all Greek to me, but Benglish will do
In response to the original question, a prepaid mobile phone from Kolkata did not work at all last year in Nagaland but as soon as we crossed into Assam it worked fine.
#12
| Maha Guru Member

Re: Will prepaid sim of Kolkata work in Assam/N.E states?

Originally posted by: theyyamdancer View Post

In response to the original question, a prepaid mobile phone from Kolkata did not work at all last year in Nagaland but as soon as we crossed into Assam it worked fine.


Neither would it work in Arunachal,as I heard.only BSNL Postpaid works there,apparently.
#13
| Maha Guru Member

Originally posted by: theyyamdancer View Post

In response to the original question, a prepaid mobile phone from Kolkata did not work at all last year in Nagaland but as soon as we crossed into Assam it worked fine.


Hope it will work in Tripura! :confused:
#14
| Maha Guru Member
What about Manipur & Mizoram?
#15
| It's all Greek to me, but Benglish will do

Related Posts