the theft of yoga

Reply
#226 May 12th, 2010, 18:51
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Location:
Canada
Posts:
808
  • Eastern Mind is offline
#226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aupmanyav View Post Philosophically both Sinhalese and Tamils should look at their combined history and live together with christians and muslims. War did not benefit any, will not benefit any.
No doubt. Of course at one time in the history there was no Xianity and Islam. But now is now. And the veddas should be given a special class of their own.
#227 May 12th, 2010, 20:08
Join Date:
Mar 2007
Location:
Croatia
Posts:
712
  • Goran is offline
#227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aupmanyav View Post I think they did, when they first came to Israel from Egypt. They are making up the back-log now.Ayodhya for correcting a wrong of the history. We will prepare a grand mosque for muslims. No problem there. It is give and take for peace.
Because of too much cultural similarities between Israeli and „pre Israeli“ archeological artifacts + no proof of the Egypt exile it is possible this is just a myth and they were a part of the local population there.
#228 May 12th, 2010, 20:53
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
New Delhi
Posts:
3,198
  • Aupmanyav is offline
#228
Quote:
Originally Posted by kullukid View Post In the beginning was the word (Om Amen Amin)
The word (Om Amen Amin) was with God,
& the word (Om Amen Amin)was God.
Does not quite convince me. Of course, Abrahamics would advance the theory.
#229 May 12th, 2010, 20:54
Join Date:
Jul 2009
Location:
New Delhi
Posts:
3,198
  • Aupmanyav is offline
#229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post And the veddas should be given a special class of their own.
In India, they have been given that, Scheduled (Listed) Tribes.
#230 May 12th, 2010, 22:35
Join Date:
May 2010
Location:
Uk
Posts:
41
  • angus22 is offline
#230
"Ayodhya for correcting a wrong of the history. We will prepare a grand mosque for muslims. No problem there. It is give and take for peace."

Leaving aside the fact that Rama is a mythical figure, the destruction of the Ayodhya Mosque was a BJP political stunt during their safronistation of India drive. If as you say Hindusim (a overused illusionary term)assimilates all then there was no need to destroy the mosque. Both groups had historically used the mosque.
The people who destroyed the mosque the so called kar sevaks were there to further the BJP idea if Hindutva or Hindu nationalism. Choosing a one sided version of history.

Indeed there is much evidence that says Ramkot hill was never an important temple in the first place.
Many academics after the event agreed.

Give and take for peace after nearly 2000 people died is rather like closing the door after the horse has bolted.

I do however agree with the core of your agrument Sanatana Dharma (a more correct description of the many threads and condradictions of so called Hinduism)) has done better than most main stream religions or philosophies.
#231 May 12th, 2010, 23:26
Join Date:
May 2005
Location:
u.k.
Posts:
4,574
  • kullukid is offline
#231
[QUOTE=Aupmanyav;965248]

Yes, 'Om' is explained to contain three sounds, representing the amalgamation of Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva.QUOTE]

Spirituality - the possibilities are endless!
#232 May 13th, 2010, 00:33
Join Date:
May 2005
Location:
u.k.
Posts:
4,574
  • kullukid is offline
#232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aupmanyav View Post No, they were accepted as valued additions. We accepted Vedas. Sanskrit became the base of many Indian languages. In return the Aryans accepted hindu Gods and philosophy. It was a fair deal. That is why Aryan ways survive only in India. Had we thought of them as interlopers, the assimilation would not have been as seem less as it has been. Supposedly, I am from the Aryan stock. I do not deny intermingling. It has been a long time, perhaps more than 5,000 years.

http://www.hindubooks.org/sudheer_bi.../hinduism.html
#233 May 13th, 2010, 01:03
Tattooed Gonzo Gardening Yogini
Join Date:
Mar 2005
Location:
the India inside my heart
Posts:
9,379
  • Sama is offline
#233
and the discussion continues on the world wide web....

WHY DOES DEEPAK CHOPRA AGREE WITH HINDU NATIONALISTS?

ARE YOGIS HINDUS?


Chopra, yoga, Hindus, tantrik yogis...curiouser and curiouser.....
My India Photos, 2005-2014
"Not my circus, not my monkeys." (Polish Proverb)
#234 May 13th, 2010, 01:12
Join Date:
May 2010
Location:
Uk
Posts:
41
  • angus22 is offline
#234
"HINDUISM

A student of Hinduism can be compared with one of those blind-folded wise men who set about to examine an elephant by touching it and came up with totally different ideas about what the elephant looked like, none of which were factual. Hinduism is like a multifarious ocean of beliefs and modes of worship with an indeterminate origin. It comprises within itself the most sublime philosophies and gross fetishism of all kinds of objects which are worshipped."

Yes, the evolution of "Hinduism" over millennia has as, yet not reduced itself to any one path or form, rather it is a amalgamation of many threads of reformism, denial and speculation. From a loving liberalism to oppressive Dichotomy.
#235 May 13th, 2010, 01:30
Join Date:
May 2010
Location:
Uk
Posts:
41
  • angus22 is offline
#235
So is "Hinduism" actually a religion that was designed to encompass all or is that an assignation that simply accorded to it due to it's confused evolution??

If the later is true this would debunk the claim of Yoga being "Hindu"
A facet incorporated into the modern idea of Hinduism perhaps but ownership, probably not.
#236 May 13th, 2010, 02:06
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Location:
Canada
Posts:
808
  • Eastern Mind is offline
#236
Thanks Sama for more stuff. When I read these so called experts opinions, it always gives me the "I'm smarter than you are creeps' of intellectual ego. I can use bigger and better words; therefore I'm right." Of what purpose? This fellow reintroduces the Aryan Invasion Theory. I though that was long gone.

We need to stop reading and discussing, and get on with going within to discover reality. Call it what you will. Its kind of too bad we're stuck with this term Hinduism. Its kind of like the term `food`. Everybody`s take is so different.
#237 May 13th, 2010, 02:15
Tattooed Gonzo Gardening Yogini
Join Date:
Mar 2005
Location:
the India inside my heart
Posts:
9,379
  • Sama is offline
#237
I hear ya, EM....I've been in the yoga biz for a long time and these discussions just keep going around and around and around. I tell people, you do your yoga and I'll do mine. I no longer name or categorize my classes: it's just yoga for the people, no levels, no fancy yoga pants, just show up, shut up, and do your practice....
#238 May 13th, 2010, 02:23
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Location:
Canada
Posts:
808
  • Eastern Mind is offline
#238
Yes, and I don't do yoga at all, although I should. My wife does. I just do seva and go to temple a lot. It pulls me inward. Right now its a deer fence. They love the vegetables at the temple especially. Right in the city too, where it backs on to a ravine. Quite the manual exercise, and I get stiff, especially in morning. I'm an old man. Regular yoga just seems to not fit in. Maybe because I'm just so lousy at it. Boss does it though.

My Guru taught the intellect to be a barrier. You can't discuss stuff that is beyond the intellect, like the power around Murugan temples that we've shared before.
#239 May 13th, 2010, 03:40
Join Date:
Jul 2006
Location:
not on this forum
Posts:
2,871
  • palerider is offline
#239
But, It's always back to the basic principle, isn't it.?
It seems mr. Chopra has forgotten the basic tenet of yoga, and a lot of religions, to strive to exist in the ever present NOW, the time when there is no past, no history, and no future or expectation.

There is this same argument with quakers.
Are they christian, because you don't actually have to believe in Christ to be a quaker, you just have to believe in non-violence.

The quakers just say, ....WHATEVER. Say what you want, do what you feel is right, we are still quakers.
They don't really agree or not agree with anything anyone says about them, they have no opinion on issues outside themselves.
#240 May 13th, 2010, 03:41
Tattooed Gonzo Gardening Yogini
Join Date:
Mar 2005
Location:
the India inside my heart
Posts:
9,379
  • Sama is offline
#240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sama View Post and the discussion continues on the world wide web....

WHY DOES DEEPAK CHOPRA AGREE WITH HINDU NATIONALISTS?

breaking news! new title for this article is:

"Yoga: it’s not Hindu—or, even from India."

yes, really.
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
chance of theft on kerala express Jun 28th, 2010 14:13 9 1837 Indian Railways
Camera theft at Kanha Apr 17th, 2010 08:52 10 1761 Indian Wildlife and National Parks
Theft in Gangtok Hotel Sep 17th, 2008 03:32 3 2065 Chai and Chat
Theft Question Jun 4th, 2008 10:55 13 1863 Scams and Annoyances in India
Theft? Sep 2nd, 2002 05:51 3 1356 Packing Tips for India travel


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success