Information on Jayanti & Buxa Tiger Reserve : A beautiful place to hang out in Dooars

Reply
#1 May 27th, 2009, 12:04
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
762
  • arupratan ghosh is offline
#1
Recently i have been to Jayanti. So i can provide information on the place. It is on West bengal & Bhutan Border. A nice place surrounded by deep forests, mountains and the River Jayanti with an amazing river bed on the India-Bhutan Border.

Please remember the place is remote and facilities available are very basic.

i will be happy to provide information on the palce if any one is interested.

Have a nice day!!!
#2 Jun 1st, 2009, 16:39
Join Date:
Apr 2009
Location:
Pune
Posts:
13
  • rajib_sengupta is offline
#2
Can you please prepare a brief story on your travel (about the places visited, where to stay, facilities available, etc.) and publish in this thread? I am planning a trip to Dooars for sometime; hence infornmation from you will be greatly helpful.

Regards

Rajib
#3 Jun 1st, 2009, 17:08
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
762
  • arupratan ghosh is offline
#3
i'm giving u a brief history of my tour.. hope this will help u.

a. i started from kolkata on Saraighat Express (from Howrah)at 4 pm.

b. reached Alipur Duar at 4.35 am next morning.

c. got a jeep from the station and it took us straight to Jayanti with in little more than 45 mnts. We were 6 in group and the jeep was hired for Rs 500.

d. I stayed at CESC Bunglow there. It was booked from Calcutta (CESC Head Office at Esplanade).

e.There are several other private bunglows which i saw. you may book them through local Guides. If you want i can give address and Ph no of the guide (At Jayanti). He can help you a lot i think. The man was our Guide in our tour. he is very nice sort of a man.

f. I staed there for 3 days, have treks over river beds.. had nice jungle safaries (in Tata Sumos, permission and the Sumo was arranged by the guide). For sumo (Per Jungle safari trip ) we paid Rs 300/- + Per head Jungle entry fees. I think it was Rs 25/- per person.

If you need any more info please write.

Cheers!!
Last edited by arupratan ghosh; Jun 2nd, 2009 at 11:27..
#4 Jun 2nd, 2009, 17:48
Join Date:
Aug 2008
Location:
chennai
Posts:
971
  • santos_g15 is offline
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by arupratan ghosh View Post i'm giving u a brief history of my tour.. hope this will help u.

a. i started from kolkata on Saraighat Express (from Howrah)at 4 pm.

b. reached Alipur Duar at 4.35 am next morning.

c. got a jeep from the station and it took us straight to Jayanti with in little more than 45 mnts. We were 6 in group and the jeep was hired for Rs 500.

d. I stayed at CESC Bunglow there. It was booked from Calcutta (CESC Head Office at Esplanade).

e.There are several other private bunglows which i saw. you may book them through local Guides. If you want i can give address and Ph no of the guide (At Jayanti). He can help you a lot i think. The man was our Guide in our tour. he is very nice sort of a man.

f. I staed there for 3 days, have treks over river beds.. had nice jungle safaries (in Tata Sumos, permission and the Sumo was arranged by the guide). For sumo (Per Jungle safari trip ) we paid Rs 300/- + Per head Jungle entry fees. I think it was Rs 25/- per person.

If you need any more info please write.

Cheers!!
i would like to know about the guide.his number.what animals did you see .how thick/kind was the vegetation.Can a single person go there and find people to share jeeps.
#5 Jun 2nd, 2009, 17:49
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
12
  • shhsmadhatter is offline
#5
Do you need a big group to go there? Since the facilities are basic do any arrangements need to be made?
#6 Jun 3rd, 2009, 14:43
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
762
  • arupratan ghosh is offline
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by santos_g15 View Post i would like to know about the guide.his number.what animals did you see .how thick/kind was the vegetation.Can a single person go there and find people to share jeeps.
i m giving his name & ph no in my next post. meanwhile i'm giving you some more info :

a. if you r single then you may catch the direct bus also from New AlipurDuar Station instead of hiring a jeep / sumo. There are two buses to Jayanti from there. One is in the morning (around 9 am) and the other one is in the evening (around 4 pm). The bus takes you straight to jayanti Bazar with in 1 Hr 30 Mnts. the bus fare is Rs 15/- Per Person. you can enjoy the bus ride with local people Or Hire a jeep/sumo / maruti van from New alipur duar station as i informed before also.

b. jayanti is not a much shouted place. So i'm not sure whether you can find other co-travellers /Tourists to share any jeep (for going to jayanti from New Alipur Duar AND for jungle Safari). But if u r lucky you may get other tourists there. The guide can actually help you in this matter.

c. The forest is very dense and green there. its due to the massive rains it gets every year due to its location just under the himalayas in the dooars. But it is not a game Park like kanha OR Ranthombhor. So the possibility of viewing larger numbers of wild animals is less.But here you can have a glimpse of Indian Gours, deersd and Elephants while doing Jungle Safarie and if lucky enough, you have have Leopards also.

d. The Buxa Reserve is much more attractive for its natural beauties with its thick vegetation and rivers and mountains sharing the borders with Bhutan rather than animals. The forest is closed for tourists from 1 st july - 15th September due to heavy rains in this locality.

i think i have answered your queries. if u have more to know please write.

i m giving the name and contct details in my next post.
#7 Jun 3rd, 2009, 23:10
Join Date:
Aug 2008
Location:
chennai
Posts:
971
  • santos_g15 is offline
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by arupratan ghosh View Post i m giving his name & ph no in my next post. meanwhile i'm giving you some more info :

a. if you r single then you may catch the direct bus also from New AlipurDuar Station instead of hiring a jeep / sumo. There are two buses to Jayanti from there. One is in the morning (around 9 am) and the other one is in the evening (around 4 pm). The bus takes you straight to jayanti Bazar with in 1 Hr 30 Mnts. the bus fare is Rs 15/- Per Person. you can enjoy the bus ride with local people Or Hire a jeep/sumo / maruti van from New alipur duar station as i informed before also.

b. jayanti is not a much shouted place. So i'm not sure whether you can find other co-travellers /Tourists to share any jeep (for going to jayanti from New Alipur Duar AND for jungle Safari). But if u r lucky you may get other tourists there. The guide can actually help you in this matter.

c. The forest is very dense and green there. its due to the massive rains it gets every year due to its location just under the himalayas in the dooars. But it is not a game Park like kanha OR Ranthombhor. So the possibility of viewing larger numbers of wild animals is less.But here you can have a glimpse of Indian Gours, deersd and Elephants while doing Jungle Safarie and if lucky enough, you have have Leopards also.

d. The Buxa Reserve is much more attractive for its natural beauties with its thick vegetation and rivers and mountains sharing the borders with Bhutan rather than animals. The forest is closed for tourists from 1 st july - 15th September due to heavy rains in this locality.

i think i have answered your queries. if u have more to know please write.

i m giving the name and contct details in my next post.
you have indeed answered my queries.thanks a lot.Much appreciated.
#8 Jun 4th, 2009, 14:22
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
762
  • arupratan ghosh is offline
#8
Name and contact details of the guide :

Pradip Dey
Forest Tourist Guide
Buxa Tiger Reserve (Jayanti)
Ph No: 03561 286680

he can speak bengali and Hindi, But not so fluent in English
#9 Jun 4th, 2009, 14:23
Join Date:
Aug 2008
Location:
chennai
Posts:
971
  • santos_g15 is offline
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by arupratan ghosh View Post Name and contact details of the guide :

Pradip Dey
Forest Tourist Guide
Buxa Tiger Reserve (Jayanti)
Ph No: 03561 286680

he can speak bengali and Hindi, But not so fluent in English
Thanks.great.i will contact him when i need to go there.
#10 Jun 4th, 2009, 14:25
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
762
  • arupratan ghosh is offline
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhsmadhatter View Post Do you need a big group to go there? Since the facilities are basic do any arrangements need to be made?
please read the thread below. i think u will find the answer. I 've also posted the name and ph no of the local forest guide there. He can help you a lot.

Thanks!! Enjoy your stay at Jayanti!!
#11 Jun 9th, 2009, 20:58
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
12
  • shhsmadhatter is offline
#11
Quote:
Originally Posted by arupratan ghosh View Post please read the thread below. i think u will find the answer. I 've also posted the name and ph no of the local forest guide there. He can help you a lot.

Thanks!! Enjoy your stay at Jayanti!!
thanks a lotzz. will be visiting jayanti positively.
#12 Jul 14th, 2009, 15:14
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Saltlake,Kolkata, PIN - 700091, West Bengal
Posts:
32
  • MamonRaktim is offline
#12

@Jayanti

Hi Arup, I Have gone through the informations provided by you here. Actually I'm planning to go there at the end of Nov 2009 or beginning of Dec, 2009 but I have little idea about this place. But I'm now aware of this place via your informations.
Only I have some queries which I like to put here. They are as follows :-
1. Are Jayanti and Buxa Tiger Reserve same place ?
2. Is there any Govt. Lodge / Bunglow in Jayanti / Buxa ? You have said that you booked CESC Bunglow.Is it accessible for public or only to known people?


Looking forward for your kind co-operation and help
#13 Jul 14th, 2009, 17:43
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
762
  • arupratan ghosh is offline
#13
yes, Jayanti and Buxa is same place. actually Jayanti is a range of Buxa Tiger reserve.

There is One Forest Bunglow and One PWD bunglow, apart from the private bunglows/ Rest Houses.

I was in CESC bunglow, which is for CESC employees only, but if you can have endorse ment from any CESC Official, you can have the booking!!

If any more info is required please write.
#14 Jul 14th, 2009, 18:25
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Saltlake,Kolkata, PIN - 700091, West Bengal
Posts:
32
  • MamonRaktim is offline
#14

@Arup

Thanks Arup. Although I have time in my hands, should I have to book the forest bunglow in advance in Jayanti as that time ( Nov - Dec, 09 ) might experience rush of tourists ?
#15 Jul 15th, 2009, 11:15
Join Date:
May 2009
Location:
Kolkata
Posts:
762
  • arupratan ghosh is offline
#15
hi raktim,

Jayanti is not a place which attract too much tourists like other places of dooars. But still having a booking is always nice!

The booking forForest Bunglow at Jayanti is not done from kolkata. You may book it through the Office of DFO, Jalpaiguri.

There are other places also, as i mentioned before, hence i think getting a room there will not be a big issue even in Nov/Dec.
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Good place to hang out in Hardiwar? Oct 21st, 2008 21:11 2 1063 Uttarakhand
Hotel in Agra with place to hang out Jul 17th, 2008 23:33 1 1399 Agra
delhi .. good place to hang out Oct 11th, 2007 16:42 8 9910 Delhi
The most beautiful place in Asia??? Apr 25th, 2007 21:55 2 3349 Crossing the Border
Where is this place? So beautiful! Aug 16th, 2004 06:22 12 1871 Chai and Chat


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2014
Page Load Success