Have you seen Jonathan Spollen? Missing in Rishikesh since February 3rd, 2012

Reply
#1651 May 25th, 2012, 02:27
Join Date:
Sep 2005
Location:
Abode of Glooscap
Posts:
10,517
  • PeakXV is offline
#1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaF View Post Whose aunt and uncle? What are you talking about hapichai?

Peak, what is the Humla Children's Home?
It's a very nice Irish-Nepalese charitable organization & it's name keeps coming up in google searches with the name 'Spollen.' I had initially thought that there might have been some family connection with Jonathan & possibly a reason why he had ventured to Nepal. Then, the poster 'appeared' to have been speaking with some additional/insider knowledge about Jon's trip & so I thought I would mention it for possible clarification.
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. ~
T. S. Eliot

http://www.derekgrantdigital.com
#1652 May 25th, 2012, 02:32
Join Date:
Jan 2011
Location:
New Zealand
Posts:
189
  • Vee21 is offline
#1652
My personal blog
http://vee21.posthaven.com/
#1653 May 25th, 2012, 03:59
Join Date:
Jan 2006
Location:
Ireland
Posts:
5,300
  • JuliaF is offline
#1653
Oh I see now. Jonathan's uncle Gene is the contact person on the Humla Children's Home website. I hadn't realised there was any family connection with the subcontinent before.
#1654 May 25th, 2012, 21:39
Join Date:
Jun 2004
Location:
Bavaria
Posts:
3,068
  • federica is offline
#1654
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaF View Post I hadn't realised there was any family connection with the subcontinent before.
It was never mentioned before, as far as I remember.
#1655 May 26th, 2012, 09:44
Join Date:
Feb 2012
Location:
New Zealand
Posts:
177
  • davidgreen100 is offline
#1655
Thank you for your many ideas which have, as you will see from what follows, contributed much to our planning. The following up on information between yourselves has taken so much pressure off us and your understanding when we have not been able to respond has been supportive in the kindest way. Thanks to the Captain for following up on the lead from Naveen and so much more.

There have been many sightings of people who look like Jonathan. All have been followed up by the police. In the cases where photos have been taken this has been so easy - a simple matter of looking at the photograph and ruling the person out. In all other cases it has involved a lot of interviewing of those making the reports and others at the location together with attempts to track down photographic evidence such as CCTV footage etc. to identify the person. There are reported ‘sightings’ still not entirely ruled out, for instance, 2 separate ones at Yamunotri on 4th and 5th May. Where a man was seen, once bathing in a hot pool, wearing rudraksha mala beads, then doing yoga dressed in a black kurta. This second time he was with a Baba and had a dark rucksack. The police believe it was the same man each day but can’t say as yet if it was Jonathan.

The most important thing for us to emphasise at this stage is that we are seriously concerned for Jonathan’s (or ‘Jon's’) health and wellbeing and we need to know that he is alive. Your help from the beginning has been key to our efforts and we ask you to help us yet again in encouraging everyone to watch for Jonathan and should they think they see him to do the following:

MOST IMPORTANTLY
1. Take a photo with camera / phone
2. Take photo of anyone with him
3. Note Location, Date, Time.

Make Note of:
4. Language spoken? Conversation overheard.
5. Description of ‘Jon’ – height, hair colour, behaviour, has he a bag? Is there someone with him? if so please describe this person. If he is with a Baba what colour clothing is the Baba wearing, describe hair and other distinguishing characteristics.

Then
A. Call Laxman Jhula Police, Phone: 0135 2430228 or Cell 9411112848 (photo can be sent to this number also). Or go as soon as possible to the nearest police point where they will make the necessary calls.
And / Or
B. Email all the information you have to the dedicated ‘1 Lak Reward’ email address lyndaspollen@gmail.com which is monitored day and night.

IF
If you then talk to the man, first maybe introduce yourself and find out his name - is he Jon?. He is a good person, you will like him! He has done nothing ‘bad’ but may be unwell. If there is a poster up point it out or if you have one of the reward cards (there are thousands around, please carry one) hand it to him and suggest he calls home and offer to help him do so.

Finally! Please encourage anyone you know who has been in the region in the last months to look at our posters then take another close look at their photographs / video footage - you never know who may be in the background. Also please everyone befriend us on Facebook ‘Find Jonathan Spollen’ and ‘share’ we need to maintain the momentum and spread the word. You, the police, the Indian people and media have been great and this is what will ensure a positive outcome for Jonathan so please continue to search with us. As always, thank you. Lynda
Last edited by davidgreen100; May 26th, 2012 at 11:54..
#1656 May 26th, 2012, 13:50
Learning... from others' experiences!
Join Date:
Sep 2011
Location:
India
Posts:
12,478
  • Prakaant is offline
#1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaF View Post Oh I see now. Jonathan's uncle Gene is the contact person on the Humla Children's Home website. I hadn't realised there was any family connection with the subcontinent before.
Lynda,
I was expecting few words from you on this also!
Regards, PraKaant
#1657 May 26th, 2012, 14:33
Join Date:
May 2005
Location:
u.k.
Posts:
4,895
  • kullukid is offline
#1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgreen100 View Post
There are reported ‘sightings’ still not entirely ruled out, for instance, 2 separate ones at Yamunotri on 4th and 5th May. Where a man was seen, once bathing in a hot pool, wearing rudraksha mala beads, then doing yoga dressed in a black kurta. This second time he was with a Baba and had a dark rucksack. The police believe it was the same man each day but can’t say as yet if it was Jonathan.
That's great news Lynda, i'm sure you know that everyone here will be hoping/praying that these sightings were genuine. If so it may suggest that Jonathon is doing the Char Dham Yatra & could be in or on his way to Badrinath or Kedarnath by now,i know there are lot's of IMers currently in that area or heading that way in the next few weeks some of which i've already spoken with on other threads & they have said they will display posters along those routes. Any other IMers heading in that direction please be extra vigilant on your travels when you happen to see any westerners & bear in mind that Jonathon may have changed his appearance by cutting/shaving his hair or shaving/growing his beard. KK
SOS: Missing Person...

Please look at this thread: http://www.indiamike.com/india/uttar...012-a-t159252/

He could be anywhere now: You might have met him, be able to help, or give information.
#1658 May 26th, 2012, 14:48
Join Date:
Jan 2006
Location:
Ireland
Posts:
5,300
  • JuliaF is offline
#1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakaant View Post Lynda,
I was expecting few words from you on this also!
Regards, PraKaant
I guess the family feel there is no connection between this and Jonathan's disappearance. It was only mentioned here at all because of some cryptic comments by a new member.

I think we should focus only on the information and requests coming from David and Lynda and not allow ourselves to be side-tracked again.
#1659 May 26th, 2012, 15:10
Join Date:
Feb 2012
Location:
New Zealand
Posts:
177
  • davidgreen100 is offline
#1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakaant View Post Lynda,
I was expecting few words from you on this also!
Regards, PraKaant
Sorry Prakaant, Yes in 2004 my brother Gene and sister-in-law Maura visited Nepal and discovered a group of 20 children abandoned in a warehouse in Kathmandu. They had come from the province of Humla close to the Indian border. When they had been told about the children they had thought that perhaps they could sponsor one but then - how could you choose one? so they established 'The Humla Childrens Home'and what a wonderful family of young people are now emerging - with positive encouragement they shine at school and some are heading to third level and University shortly. The website is www.thehumlachildrenshome.org. I am so grateful to Gene, Maura and the children who gave up so much of their time together so that Gene and Maura could travel on to India to head up the search for Jonathan. What an incredible job the did too. Lynda
#1660 May 26th, 2012, 15:27
Join Date:
May 2005
Location:
u.k.
Posts:
4,895
  • kullukid is offline
#1660
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgreen100 View Post Jonathan and should they think they see him to do the following:

MOST IMPORTANTLY
1. Take a photo with camera / phone
2. Take photo of anyone with him
3. Note Location, Date, Time.

Make Note of:
4. Language spoken? Conversation overheard.
5. Description of ‘Jon’ – height, hair colour, behaviour, has he a bag? Is there someone with him? if so please describe this person. If he is with a Baba what colour clothing is the Baba wearing, describe hair and other distinguishing characteristics.

Then
A. Call Laxman Jhula Police, Phone: 0135 2430228 or Cell 9411112848 (photo can be sent to this number also). Or go as soon as possible to the nearest police point where they will make the necessary calls.
And / Or
B. Email all the information you have to the dedicated ‘1 Lak Reward’ email address lyndaspollen@gmail.com which is monitored day and night.

IF
If you then talk to the man, first maybe introduce yourself and find out his name - is he Jon?. He is a good person, you will like him! He has done nothing ‘bad’ but may be unwell. If there is a poster up point it out or if you have one of the reward cards (there are thousands around, please carry one) hand it to him and suggest he calls home and offer to help him do so.
Hi Lynda, from what you've written here am i right in thinking that you are suggesting that if anyone should happen to see J that they should approach him in a very casual/relaxed manner & not make a big scene out of it, so as not to spook him or scare him off,ask a few casual questions & suggest he calls home without sounding like you are pushing him, then part company & contact you &/or the police,also if taking photo's to do it from a distance & not be so obvious.KK
#1661 May 26th, 2012, 15:54
Join Date:
Feb 2012
Location:
New Zealand
Posts:
177
  • davidgreen100 is offline
#1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakaant View Post Lynda,
I was expecting few words from you on this also!
Regards, PraKaant
Quote:
Originally Posted by kullukid View Post Hi Lynda, from what you've written here am i right in thinking that you are suggesting that if anyone should happen to see J that they should approach him in a very casual/relaxed manner & not make a big scene out of it, so as not to spook him or scare him off,ask a few casual questions & suggest he calls home without sounding like you are pushing him, then part company & contact you &/or the police,also if taking photo's to do it from a distance & not be so obvious.KK
Exactly, but the priority has to be to contact the police as quickly as possible and ideally with a photograph - they need the information. We would obviously like it as quickly as possible but with possible language difficulties, dodgy internet connections etc. direct contact with the police is by far the most efficient route in the first instance.

A casual approach to try to establish if the person confirms his name etc, has to be best. If it is Jonathan I believe gentle encouragement to call me is all it will take. Lynda
#1662 May 26th, 2012, 22:54
Join Date:
Sep 2005
Location:
Abode of Glooscap
Posts:
10,517
  • PeakXV is offline
#1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgreen100 View Post for Jonathan’s (or ‘Jon's’)
An extremely important point to clarify if he is indeed on a causual/spiritual trek/walkabout. 'J' might become 'Jay' to an Indian with english as a second language. And 'Jonathan' is far different than 'Jon' to those who struggle with the English language.

So for the record, he does prefer & introduce himself as 'Jon'?
#1663 May 26th, 2012, 23:13
Join Date:
Apr 2003
Location:
NE UK
Posts:
409
  • IndyBoy is offline
#1663
If he has joined with a baba on a spiritual quest, I find it unlikely he will still be using his given name. He would surely have chosen (or had chosen for him) an indian name.
#1664 May 27th, 2012, 02:36
Join Date:
Aug 2010
Location:
United States
Posts:
4,415
  • DaisyL is offline
#1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBoy View Post If he has joined with a baba on a spiritual quest, I find it unlikely he will still be using his given name. He would surely have chosen (or had chosen for him) an indian name.

Knowing if he is going by Jon or Jonathan could be helpful if he has talked to people in the region who don't speak English as a native language, whether or not he has then gone off with a new name.
#1665 May 27th, 2012, 13:59
Join Date:
Nov 2008
Location:
Garhwal Himalaya
Posts:
4,493
  • Paleface is offline
#1665
Coming up, beginning May 31st, is Ganga Dussehra.

Usually held over the first 10 days of the month of Jyeshtha (in June) celebrating Gangavataran - the descent of the Ganga. Hindus flock to Rishikesh, Haridwar, Garh-Mukteshwar, Prayag, Varanasi etc and the char dhams - particularly the people of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Bengal and Uttarakhand through which Ganga flows.

In the evening especially, it is very atmospheric, thousands of leaf boats laden with flames, flowers, and sweetmeats are offered to the river and they flow with the current to the sounds of the bells and bhajans, kirtans and shlokas recited during the arati... it is a huge festival in the North and one of those festivals that if one is in the vicinity of Ganga = Bhagirtahi, Alakananda, Mandikini, then chances are high on attendance.
Reply

Similar Threads

Title, Username, & Date Last Post Replies Views Forum
Have you seen Jonathan? Missing in Rishikesh since Feb 3, maybe headed to Dharamsala Mar 3rd, 2012 19:19 12 23007 Himachal Pradesh
Shimla & Manali in February 3rd week. Nov 15th, 2011 19:45 5 5354 Himachal Pradesh
Trip on 3rd February to Vizag, Bangalore & Hydrabad. Jan 25th, 2010 17:44 1 1919 India Travel Itinerary Advice


Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Forum Rules»
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
© IndiaMike.com 2017
Page Load Success